Profile for Karen Y > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Karen Y RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Northstar 1050 HD Diamond Ripstop Series Duffle Bag (14x30Inch, Blue)
Northstar 1050 HD Diamond Ripstop Series Duffle Bag (14x30Inch, Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, February 1, 2013
This duffle bag is being used to carry around martial arts and boxing equipment. It is a nice big size without being too cumbersome. The fabric is very durable yet light. Why pay $50-70 for a duffle bag at a sporting goods store when you can get this?

Neewer Timer Remote for Canon 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 10D, 5D,1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark III, 1D Mark II N, 1Ds Mark II,1D, 1V, EOS 3, D2000
Offered by iTekLife

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with the Canon EOS 6D, February 1, 2013
All the functions work on this camera. When you turn it on for the first time (i.e. insert batteries), make sure it is unplugged from the camera first. I initially thought it wasn't working when I plugged it in first and then inserted batteries and tried it out. Once I unplugged it and re-plugged it into the camera, it worked flawlessly in Bulb, Manual, and all other camera modes.

Like others have pointed out, they should have included an on/off button. It can be a pain to remove and reinsert batteries all the time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2013 7:58 AM PDT

Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag-Mica
Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag-Mica
Price: $45.00
26 used & new from $36.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my Canon EOS 6D with 24-105mm Lens, January 9, 2013
This sling bag looked interesting enough that I bought it even though I was unsure whether it would fit a full frame camera with attached lens. Thankfully, it does, and I can see that I should still be able to fit an additional small lens into the camera box as well. The non-camera box part of the bag is roomy as long as you know that its opening is on the narrow side (due to the slant of the zipper. I can still fit quite a bit in there even without unzipping the expansion.

Taking the camera out is easy. When the bag is slung over me, I just pull it around to my front, unzip one of two zipper pulls, and the camera is hanging right below my stomach at a distance that is easy to grab. I can tell that the designer put a lot of thought into this bag and has balanced form and function.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2013 6:21 PM PDT

Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS213
Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS213
Offered by BinkieMelane
9 used & new from $219.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changing Device, January 1, 2013
Okay, maybe "life-changing device" is a little dramatic, but the Synology ecosystem is well-developed, amazingly useful, and stable. Installation took a few minutes. I bought the DS213 along with two Western Digital 3TB Red drives, and got them all in the mail at the same time. All I did was screw the drives directly into the included plastic bay frames, insert them in, and power on the Synology NAS. Once I logged into the system, it asked me how I wanted to format the drives and what kind of RAID array to adopt.

The operating system is simple to understand if you have any experience with Windows or OS X. There is an app store with limited but very useful (and free!) apps that extend the features of the NAS. For example, I installed a the Plex Media Server, which lets my WD TV Live recognize certain folders and files on the NAS to view photos, movies, tv shows, and music. Plex automatically tags the files with metadata such as album covers for the music, and tv/movie posters for the video files. I also downloaded the Surveillance app, which allows you to use the NAS as an NVR (networked video recorder) for one IP camera from your network. I was able to get it to detect motion on my camera and record a short video clip on the NAS every time someone walked past the camera. I only wish they weren't so stingy and would allow more than one camera to be added, free of charge. If you want to add any more cameras than that, you'll have to fork over $50+ per camera.

After reading about webDAV and a little about networking, I was able to activate the necessary settings to be able to view my NAS as a set of networked folders on my Macbook Air and iPhone, and view and manipulate media files and folders. Not only that, but Synology allows you to log into the NAS OS itself on the iPhone and change any of your settings.

The Synology ecosystem is the way to go if you're considering building a NAS, building a server, or something in between. My primary reason for getting this was to be able to play my own videos on the TV through a personal set-top box like the WD TV Live, and this NAS does that plus much much more than I could ever hope for. Well worth the price.

Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover Black for iPad 2 and iPad (3rd/4th generation)
Price: $61.15
140 used & new from $14.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Unmatched Quality (For Now), January 1, 2013
I bought this for my fiance's 2012 iPad, and it fits perfectly. Previous reviewers have stated that the magnets were weak, but Logitech must have improved the recipe, because the magnets on this one are pretty strong. You can hold the ipad and swing the keyboard freely on its hinge without worry.

The keyboard functions very well, has an on/off switch to activate bluetooth. My fiance has typed on it without problems even though the keyboard is very slightly smaller than "full sized".

The one thing I would change about this if I could is to make the hinges wider, enough to be able to fold the keyboard cover back when it is not in use. However, the hinges don't have enough clearance for this, so when you flip the cover behind the ipad, the whole keyboard cover comes off its magnetic hold.

Lenmar SSPU2 Auto 2 Port 12V DC Auto Socket Duplicator Plus 2 USB Port
Lenmar SSPU2 Auto 2 Port 12V DC Auto Socket Duplicator Plus 2 USB Port
2 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, October 18, 2012
Works perfectly! My auto socket is slightly out of the way, and this socket duplicator even helps extend the the port a little.

Yale Security YRD220-ZW-619 Real Living Electronic Touch Screen Deadbolt, Fully Motorized with Z-Wave Technology, Satin Nickel
Price: $203.96
11 used & new from $167.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Z-Wave Deadbolt On The Market, April 9, 2012
I've had this Yale z-wave deadbolt for six months and it has worked flawlessly. I was trying to decide between this one and the Kwikset z-wave deadbolt but ultimately chose the Yale one because it provides a watertight-lip seal around the unit outside and inside the door. I live in Chicago, and the snow, wind and rain can do a number on outdoor electronics. I also like that the deadbolt is motorized, and I have been able to unlock the door for guests when I'm out of town.

Umbra Casa Tissue Box Cover, White
Umbra Casa Tissue Box Cover, White
Price: $6.00
8 used & new from $5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty But Useless, February 21, 2012
If you're looking for a tissue box cover/holder for the purpose of weighing down the box, you should look elsewhere. I bought the Umbra Casa tissue box cover because I needed something that could keep my tissue box down while I lifted a tissue from my nightstand. It won out among all the other surely heavier covers because I loved the way it looked. This cover is made of very light plastic, and you will still need your other hand to hold it down while you remove a tissue.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2014 9:20 AM PDT

Samsonite Silhouette 11 22" Spinner
Samsonite Silhouette 11 22" Spinner

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it does fit airline overhead bins!, May 31, 2010
I've had the Samsonite Silhouette 11 22" spinner for four months now, and can attest that it does fit on DOMESTIC airline overhead bins. As a consultant who travels every week on United, I was nervous that the dimensions listed in the product spec were slightly larger than the dimensions for United carry-ons (other airlines like Southwest and American list dimensions that will fit the Silhouette 22" just fine). However, I crossed my fingers and purchased this spinner anyway because it looked very spacious, had four wheels that were rugged and big, and was very light in weight.

To my pleasant surprise, the Silhouette 22" fits just fine in United overhead bins, even though it was the most limiting of all the domestic airline carry-on dimensions I researched. This spinner will fit with wheels going in first, not just sideways. I've seen many other people shove their roller bags next to mine that looked slightly longer than mine and were still able to fit it.

As for International flights, the Silhouette 22" will almost never fit, because international airplanes have smaller overhead bins that will fit up to 20" bags.

I love this Spinner! Over the past four months of constant use, it has held its own and still looks like it's in great shape. I roll it everywhere at the airport twice a week, I throw it into taxi cabs, roll it through the streets sometimes, and keep it open and organized at the hotel every week. Samsonite did a really good job of making economical space and creating logical pockets. I especially like the front deep pocket, which amazingly is deep enough to fit a laptop. I have a cheap and rugged netbook that I like to use on the plane, so I keep it in that pocket for easy access through security and while on the plane. I wouldn't recommend keeping an expensive and un-padded laptop in that pocket, but for any laptop that is in a sleeve, it should be safe enough to keep even if the luggage tips over.

Yes, the Silhouette spinner does tip over front-wise at times when I overload the bag and the wheels have been turned a certain way. It's pretty much the only thing I can find to criticize. When it's overloaded, you can see the tip-over coming and just roll the entire bag backwards so the wheels are rotated in a way that balances the bag. This only happens when the bag is overloaded to begin with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

Stratemegize: What Consultants Do Best
Stratemegize: What Consultants Do Best
by Heidi Wong
Price: $9.99
6 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly captures the consulting industry, January 11, 2010
I recently started work as a consultant, and this book identifies some of the quizzical--if not downright hilarious--things that consultants do and put up with on a daily basis. All the stuff that every consultant knows but doesn't talk about is in this book!

Page: 1 | 2