Profile for Chris D. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris D. RSS Feed (Oakland, CA)

RAVPower 23000mAh Portable Charger Power Bank External Battery Pack(Xtreme Series,3-Port,9V/12V/16V/19V/20V - LCD Display) for Laptops, tablets, iPhones, Android Phones and other devices
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $299.99
4 used & new from $87.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I hoped it would do, March 6, 2015
Been using it for a week or so and am very happy both with the product and the customer support. It's more than doubled my computer time when I'm not plugged into the wall

Thinking, Fast and Slow
Thinking, Fast and Slow
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, even for someone not interested in psychology, September 22, 2014
I'm not generally interested in either psychology or economics, but I picked up this book and found it fascinating and useful. Applications in my professional life became immediately obvious.

Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24-Inch Widescreen LED-Lit LCD Monitor
Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24-Inch Widescreen LED-Lit LCD Monitor
Offered by BinkieMelane
4 used & new from $180.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Monitor was defective. Service very sub-par for the replacement, October 19, 2011
I ordered this monitor because it got good reviews and was inexpensive. It arrived reasonably promptly, in an undamaged box. When we set it up (which was very easy) we noticed that there was a thin, vertical blue line that went from the top to the bottom of the screen superimposed over whatever program or document we had open. I tried hooking up the monitor to a different Mac, using a different connector (supplied by ViewSonic). The monitor problem appeared the same on both computers.

I contacted tech support at ViewSonic and the technician had me try a number of different things, none of which worked. She concluded that the monitor was defective and would have to be repaired/replaced. Here's where ViewSonic dropped the ball. I asked what they were going to do about it, and was told that I would have to ship the monitor at my own expense back to ViewSonic. They would then take 3 weeks to repair it and would ship the repaired monitor back to me! So, I buy a brand new monitor, which turns out to be DOA, and their solution is for me to pay to ship it back and then wait 5 weeks for the repaired monitor to reappear on my doorstep!

Needless to say, other than denying that they even sold me the monitor, this is about the worst approach to customer service they could have chosen. I pointed out (vociferously) that they shouldn't make their customers bear the brunt of their poor quality control and that I needed the monitor now; not in 5 weeks. I told them that they should ship me a brand new monitor right away, and that I would return the defective one. After a two-day wait for a response, they agreed to do this, on condition that I supply them with a variety of bits of information, and give them my credit card number and ship the original one back to them at my own expense. One of the bits of info they required was proof of my purchase from Amazon. I forwarded to them the email that I received from Amazon detailing the purchase and they insisted that it "wasn't in the proper form" so they couldn't accept it. I then took screenshots and sent those to them, which they accepted as proof.

A week or so later, I received the replacement monitor. It came in a plain brown shipping container--not the ViewSonic-branded box that the original one had come in. So, clearly they didn't simply grab a new one off the shelf and ship it to me, and I'm left wondering if what I received is a refurbished or repaired model, instead of the new one that I paid for. Also, the plastic housing that fits over the actual screen was a bit loose on top (a 1/4 inch gap). A small bit of pressure popped it back into place, but it's yet another indicia that I may have received a refurbished model instead of a new one. The replacement monitor has only been set up for a day and it seems to be working fine, and I"m reasonably pleased with the quality of the image.

ViewSonic--I hope you're reading this. I had had a very favorable idea in my mind of the ViewSonic brand until this experience. Now, I'll never buy another ViewSonic product.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2013 3:52 AM PST

The Patriot
The Patriot
by Gail Judd
Price: $24.95
7 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars For those who think the Patriot Act is a crock, February 10, 2006
This review is from: The Patriot (Paperback)
Great first novel that really gets one thinking about how a government that purports to believe in personal liberties and freedom can destroy those rights.