Profile for Craig Lang > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Craig Lang RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Rendezvous with Rama (Arthur C. Clarke Collection: Rama)
Rendezvous with Rama (Arthur C. Clarke Collection: Rama)
Price: $7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars An old classic classic classic, July 6, 2014
I think I have read this book at least a million times.
I think I first read this book in about 1976. I've re-read it a zillion times since them.
It never gets old. It is probably the best book of space travel fiction I've ever read, and it had formed a defining symbol of much of my interests in space travel, ET life, First Contact, etc... for decades.
I love Arthur C. Clarke's portrayal of the mystery and ambiguity of Rama.
And the surprise ending is one of the best.

Mind Skill's Virtual Gastric Band NLP Hypnotherapy Weight Loss Practitioners Training Plus Risk Assesment & Safety Management Guide For Alternative & Complementary Psychology Therapists
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A great new method - and some good common sense ideas, July 4, 2014
I've been interested in the Gastric Band teachnique for a while for some specific applications in my practice.
I found this book on-line and read it through. It will definitely take more than one read to fully understand and possibly implement them.
Still, it is a wonderful intro to a concept that I've wanted to learn more about.
In addition, it provides a somewhat different view of the hypnotherapy process - a few more common in the UK and what I see in the USA.

I recommend this book both as an overview, and as a reference for anyone intending to use this technique.

As I write this, I am giving it four stars. Not sure if I can quite give it five stars, but as I look through it more, my rating may change.

3 Steps to Weight Loss with Self-Hypnosis
3 Steps to Weight Loss with Self-Hypnosis

4.0 out of 5 stars good basic stuff, July 4, 2014
Contains some of the basic common-sense information each of us should be following in our daily lives, as well as in the cases when we are trying to lose weight.

Solaris
Solaris

4.0 out of 5 stars An old classic, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Solaris (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in 1979, and just finished it today. When i read it then, it had a lot more affect on me then it did this time. Not sure why.
All the way through the book, I was thinking that this would really not make a very good screenplay. And when I recalled seeing the movie, I was right.
The interplays between characters are subtle. There are really only three human characters, plus one (Possibly two) alien characters - and of course, Solaris, itself.

The biggest fascination is probably the mystery itself. What is the sentience that is Solaris? It is no different than asking today, what is the sentience of the Universe, or of God? is it real? Is it intelligent? Is it conscious? The whole story is a vast re-imagining of that question.

I loved reading Solaris the second time around, but probably not as much as the first time around.

The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels Book 1)
The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels Book 1)
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked the book - a great SF novel, June 24, 2014
I really liked this book. It had me wanting to turn the page, and I had a hard time putting it down.
It has some really interesting ways of looking at what might have otherwise been old tired material.
McCloskey does a good job of turning the expected around and making the unexpected happen.

It didn't quite rate a five, but it was a solid four-plus.
I can't really give you a reason for it not being a five. It just didn't grab me the way a five-star novel would.
Still, it was great(!!!!). Can't wait to read the next one in his series.

Understanding Quantum Physics: An Advanced Guide for the Perplexed
Understanding Quantum Physics: An Advanced Guide for the Perplexed

2.0 out of 5 stars Had to put it down, June 24, 2014
I was not able to get very far into it.
My math skills are at the grad school level and I still was not able to really digest this.
I went back to his earlier book, which I am still only a few chapters into it.

Needs to rewrite it in a more readable style, making the math and text gel much more easily together.

Calling the Circle: The First and Future Culture
Calling the Circle: The First and Future Culture
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A new way to do something humanity has done for thousands of years, June 24, 2014
This book was recommended to me as we are looking at different models for the healing cooperative I belong to.
I loved this book. Christina Baldwin has a wonderful story telling style that made an otherwise-dry topic very easy to read and digest.

The only reason I didn't give it five stars was that I thought she could have delivered more how-to material earlier in the book. Combining how-to material a bit earlier, along with her story-telling style would have made it perfect (at least in my view).

Having said that, she does do a wonderful job of presenting the material and a usable and at the same time, entertaining way.
A must read for anyone trying to get a non-hierarchical organization running.

The Human Aura: A Scientific Article (Illustrated)
The Human Aura: A Scientific Article (Illustrated)

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't buy it...., April 5, 2014
The author takes a lot of paper (electronic or otherwise) to tell us that the aura is nothing more than a visualized smell.

The Human Aura
The Human Aura
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A great quick view, April 5, 2014
This review is from: The Human Aura (Kindle Edition)
the Human Aura is a good quick overview of what is known - or believed - about the human aura.
It contains summaries of many ideas about how to develop the aura, and human spirituality in general.
It's a great summary, but only that - it leaves the reader with a lot more reading to do

Quantum Physics For Dummies
Quantum Physics For Dummies
Price: $11.49

3.0 out of 5 stars useful, but know what you're getting yourself into., January 1, 2014
I bought this book because I needed to step back and learn some of the "basics" of quantum physics terminology. In that sense, the book does its job. It explains what bracket notation is and how it works. It builds a good understanding of the arcane mathematical notation of quantum theory, etc. Yet even at that, it is certainly not very "basic."

I have had to re-read the early chapters multiple times, and have still not really gotten through the latest chapters in the book. It is definitely not something I'd recommend for anyone who does not have a strong background in mathematics.

In many physics text books, there is a common-language description in plain english, with an accompanying mathematical side-bar that contains the formula derivations, advanced concepts, etc. In this case, the reader has only the mathematics, and sometimes that can be a challenge to follow. I often had to go back and figure out how the author made a particular mathematical leap, working through the math on my own before it made sense. In that regard, this book reads like an advanced college text. It definitely does NOT belong in the "For Dummies" series.

Yet even though it is far more advanced that the typical "For Dummies" book, I found it very useful in helping me understand the language of quantum mathematics. In that sense, and for that reason I gave it three stars.
Read it, but be aware of what you are getting yourself into.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4