Profile for Kate McMurry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 113

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kate McMurry "Avid reader" RSS Feed (United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Gaiam Sol Sticky-Grip Yoga Mat (5mm)
Gaiam Sol Sticky-Grip Yoga Mat (5mm)
Price: $37.49
3 used & new from $34.59

4.0 out of 5 stars High-quality, easy maintenance mat, March 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This yoga mat has a lovely color and attractive patterns embossed in its textured surface. It is well made of high-quality, sustainable, latex-free rubber, and the ribbed bottom works well for preventing slippage on a smooth surface.

This mat out-gassed a slight chemical smell for a few days but it did eventually wear off.

The manufacturer claims this mat is "thick." It seems to me to be about the same thickness, or at best a tiny bit thicker, than the standard rubber mats provided at my gym. For what it is worth, I have this to say about all such mats: If your body doesn't come with it's own built-in "padding," it is a bruising experience to do yoga or calisthenic exercises on a hard floor while sitting or lying on this or any other thin, rubber mat. For that reason, there aren't any yoga mats of this type on the market, including this one, that seem "thick" to me personally. However, since that is a typical design feature among all rubber yoga mats, I am not grading down this mat for not being what I truly consider thick--a depth of three inches. That is the thickness of a different type of yoga mat, a futon mat, which I also own. The advantage of this mat over a futon mat is that it weighs 5 pounds vs 19 pounds for the futon mat, making it much more portable. It is also substantially easier to keep clean.

Speaking of cleaning this mat, it is not necessary to pay a lot of money for special yoga-mat cleaning solutions when a mat is made of rubber, as this one is. You can make your own quite inexpensively. Here are some examples:

1. Dilute white vinegar in a ratio of 1:16 (1 tablespoon per cup). Vinegar is a natural disinfectant. To increase disinfectant properties, you can add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or a few drops of any of the following essential oils which each have disinfectant properties: tea tree, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, oregano, lemon, and clove.

2. Dilute a biodegradeable liquid soap, such as Sal Suds, in the same proportion as the white vinegar, 1:16.

3. You can add 1 tablespoon liquid soap to each cup of white-vinegar mixture to maximize cleaning effectiveness.

Instructions for use of cleaning solutions:

1. Put the cleaning solution of your choice in a spray bottle and shake well.

2. Spray the mat and use a clean rag or paper towel to scrub the mat.

3. If you use a soap mixture, you may want to go back over the mat with a clean, damp rag or damp paper towel in order to remove the soap residue. This is not necessary when you use a vinegar mixture.

Note that rubber is not harmed by water. This means that, if you wanted to, you could hose it off on your patio during warm-weather seasons and drape it over a patio chair or the rail of a deck or porch to dry.

Regency Natural Ultra Fine 100% Cotton Cheesecloth 9sq.ft
Regency Natural Ultra Fine 100% Cotton Cheesecloth 9sq.ft
Price: $3.99
11 used & new from $3.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, March 21, 2015
Recently I've been making organic, herbal teas from finely sifted leaves. While this makes a high quality tea, unfortunately, the fine powder would make its way through every tea ball and fine, wire-mesh strainer I had in the house. I finally decided to try cheesecloth to strain the tea. I purchased this brand, and I'm extremely happy with the result. It catches every single particle of tea.

This cloth can be used many times. I wash it well by hand after each use and hang it up to dry.

Amy's Soups, Low Fat No Chicken Noodle, 14.1 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Amy's Soups, Low Fat No Chicken Noodle, 14.1 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Price: $31.20
15 used & new from $31.20

2.0 out of 5 stars Amy's Low Fat, No Chicken Noodle Soup has some problem ingredients, March 16, 2015
This soup is a vegan simulation of chicken noodle soup. If you are not allergic to soy or corn, and you don't mind that there is some non-organic (and therefore possibly GMO) corn and soy in this soup, you might enjoy it.

This soup has an excellent taste, and when I personally ate some when a bit queasy during flu season, it worked, as advertised, as well as traditional chicken soup for settling my stomach.

This is a low-fat, low-calorie soup. If you eat the entire contents of the can (which most people probably would because it is only 14 ounces), you will consume 10 gm protein, 4 gm fiber, 5 gm fat, and 1360 mg sodium.

I have two problems with this soup that caused me to grade it down and, because of them, I won't be buying this soup again. I gave greater negative weight to these issues than I might otherwise have done because of the Amy's company's self-proclaimed reputation as a purveyor of health food, which is used as a justification for charging much higher prices than one pays for ordinary processed food. As a careful consumer on a tight budget, I expect such claims to be delivered on 100%, or in my view, I am not getting my money's worth.

Problem #1: This soup lists the ingredient yeast extract, which contains glutamic acid. When paired with sodium, which is another ingredient within this soup (sea salt), the two combine to create monosodium glutamate (MSG). MSG is a flavor enhancer that is what is known as a neurotoxin. Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon and author of Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, states that MSG overexcites cells, often to the point of damaging or outright destroying them. The worst case of this is harm to brain cells, which can potentially worsen or even cause learning disabilities such as ADD, and more serious diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).

Problem #2: Non-organic corn and soy included in a product, which proudly proclaims on its label that the vast majority of its ingredients are organic, is a very strange choice. It especially makes no sense for those non-organic ingredients to be corn and soy. These two crops are at very high risk to be GMO when they are non-organic (see more on the subject of GMOs below). The substitute for chicken in this product is textured vegetable protein made from a combination of tofu and hydrolyzed corn and soy. The soy used in the tofu is organic, so it is non-GMO. However, neither the hydrolyzed corn protein or hydrolyzed soy protein is listed as organic. According to the USDA, as of 2014 soybeans are 97% GMO and corn is around 95% GMO.

Ingredients: Filtered Water, Organic Onions, Organic Noodles (Organic Semolina Flour, Water), Organic Carrots, Organic Tofu, Organic Celery, Organic Leeks, Hydrolyzed Corn and Soy Protein, Spices, Organic High Oleic Safflower and/or Sunflower Oil, Sea Salt, and Yeast Extract.

GMO Explained: GMO stands for "genetically modified organism." In the laboratory, genes from one species of plant are inserted into the genes of another species to obtain traits which presumably will save farmers money, in particular, the ability to withstand herbicides which are directly applied to crops to kill weeds, and the ability of the plant to produce its own insecticide. There were supposed to be other benefits, including crops with enhanced nutrition, increased yield and drought resistance--but to date, little evidence of these promised benefits has been produced. In the U.S., the government has approved GMOs based on studies conducted by the same corporations that create them and profit from their sale, such as Monsanto and Dow. Unfortunately, these corporations have a vested interest in never allowing any negative results of lab testing they have done on their GMOs to see the light of day--in much the same manner that Big Pharma hides negative results of their own in-house testing of the drugs they manufacture and sell. In addition, these same corporations work tirelessly to suppress independent testing which uncovers harmful effects of GMOs, and they have spent millions in order to defeat efforts in many different states as well as federally to mandate food labels indicating when GMO food is in a given product. Research on GMOs of great concern to consumers includes the following: Human studies have demonstrated that GMO crops, such as soy and corn, contain genes that can transfer into the essential bacteria in the human digestive system, causing them to do the same thing these genes cause their host plants to do--produce toxic pesticides. This finding helps explain why laboratory studies in which animals are fed GMO foods over a long period of time develop organ damage, gastrointestinal and immune system disorders, accelerated aging, and infertility.

First Voice TS-3183 Sterile Self-Adherent Stretch Sensi-Wrap Bandage, 5 yds Length x 3" Width (Pack of 10)
Offered by Diagnostics Direct, Inc.
Price: $12.39
7 used & new from $12.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Works wonderfully well to protect my feet from the wear and tear of extensive walking, March 12, 2015
I am really pleased with the high quality of this product. It works extremely well, comes at an excellent price, and I will definitely purchase this again, as needed.

I bought these self-adherent, stretch, sensi-wrap bandages as a potential solution to protect my feet from the wear and tear of exercise. I frequently walk as much as three hours on a given day, and I have found it quite frustrating when my feet get sore long before I'm tired. I've been looking for months for an adequate solution to the irritation that develops on the metatarsal area on the edge of my feet below my little toes.

I've tried products variously called "little toe bunion guard" and "tailor's guard," but they don't stay in place, and they are expensive.

I have also tried adhesive corn cushions and adhesive bunion cushions. They have strong adhesive, which does act to, mostly, keep them in place, but it is rather painful removing them and, unfortunately, they do not work as well as I had hoped to keep my metatarsal area from feeling bruised and battered. Given the fact that it costs as much as $2/day to use these types of products, or $60/month, they are quite pricey, and for that money, I needed them to provide a superior solution that they simply did not.

What I am using now is this particular self-adhesive bandage. As advertised, it is truly self-adhesive, which is fantastic for me, as I am extremely allergic to the adhesive glue on regular first-aid tape. I initially used this wrap to hold in place a gauze sponge cover dressing on top of my metatarsal area. I soon switched to a more cost-effective product as padding, cut-to-fit pieces of felt chamois. It is washable and reusable, and it has a similar thickness and softness to gauze dressing.

I have extremely sensitive skin, and I am allergic to every type of dye imaginable, and any kind of non-smooth texture makes my skin itch. For what it is worth, as sensitive as I am, this product has not irritated my skin in any way.

I have been using this product for about a week and a half now and, wonder of wonders, the soreness in my feet is gone. I am relieved and delighted.

Dr. Scholl's Bunion Cushions with ComfortPlus 6 ea
Dr. Scholl's Bunion Cushions with ComfortPlus 6 ea
Offered by Junebug Logistics
Price: $4.75
23 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, mildly effective solution for exercise wear-and-tear, March 11, 2015
I do a lot of walking for exercise, sometimes up to three hours on a given day. It's aggravating that my feet get sore long before I'm tired. I've been looking for months for an adequate solution to the irritation that develops on the metatarsal area on the edge of my feet below my little toes. I've tried products variously called "little toe bunion guard" and "tailor's guard," but they don't stay in place. I have tried adhesive corn cushions, and now I've tried these bunion cushions.

They definitely have strong adhesive, which does act to, mostly, keep them in place, but is somewhat painful when trying to remove them. Unfortunately, they did not work as well as I had hoped to keep my metatarsal area from feeling bruised and battered. Given the fact that it costs $2/day to use these, or $60/month, they are quite pricey, and for that money, I need to count on a superior solution. For me, this isn't it.

What I am using now is First Voice Self-Adherent Stretch Sensi-Wrap Bandage 3" Width. It holds extremely well, and I use it to hold in place a Gauze Sponge Cover Dressing or even more cost effective--because it's washable and reusable--cut up pieces of felt chamois, which has a similar thickness and softness to the gauze dressing.

Jarrow Formulas Greek Yogurtein, Coconut Cream, 16 Ounce
Jarrow Formulas Greek Yogurtein, Coconut Cream, 16 Ounce
Offered by Puritan's Pride Vitamins
Price: $18.99
9 used & new from $18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Taste is good, some questionable ingredients for an expensive healthfood, March 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I personally like coconut, so I had no problems with the taste. I tried this protein powder in plain water, in stevia-sweetened herbal tea, and in almond milk. I actually preferred the taste best in plain water. I could see using this as an ingredient in home-made energy bars. The texture is a bit grainy, but I didn't have any more trouble blending it with a wire whisk than I have with any other protein powder I use.

Some of the ingredients of this product are fine: whey protein, casein protein, stevia, lo han guo.

I am not particularly impressed with the Greek yogurt powder. It is used to make this product appear innovative and special, and therefore as an excuse to jack up the price, but nutrition wise, it is just another protein powder, on a par with powdered milk, only a bit fancier and more expensive than dried milk powder because it is dehydrated yogurt. Personally, as a cost-conscious consumer, I'd rather just mix regular, less expensive whey protein powder in some actual yogurt if I had a sudden craving for the tart taste of yogurt in my morning protein shake.

I have three main complaints about this product:

1. It's marketed as a protein powder primarily, and as such, it is much more expensive than its fellow, non-organic protein powders.

2. Scoop per scoop, if you are looking for protein powder as the primary ingredient in a protein supplement, I would not choose this one. I normally use another Jarrow protein powder, Jarrow Formulas Whey Protein, Natural. It is simply whey protein powder and, therefore, the price is a lot more reasonable. I also use NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate, Dutch Chocolate, which is a bit more expensive than the Jarrow plain whey, but also much less expensive than this product. In addition, if you want to add supplemental fiber to your diet, another claim to fame of this product, its much healthier--and tastier--to consume actual food, such as fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains. Also, if you are regularly supplementing with, as a bare minimum, the recommended daily dose of 400 mg. magnesium, it's unlikely you will need to supplement with the type of fiber contained in this product in order to insure healthy bowel function. However, if you choose to supplement with fiber, it is much more cost effective to purchase a fiber product separate from a protein-powder product, rather than combined as is the case with this product. For example, I have used Source Naturals Psyllium Husk Powder at times in the past. When you purchase a product like this one, where the fiber is mixed with the protein powder, you pay extra for the convenience of the manufacturer mixing the two together for you. By the way, when taking a product like this with fiber in it, it's important to not take medications or nutritional supplements at the same time, because the fiber will interfere with your body's absorption of them.

3. There are multiple ingredients in this pricey healthfood product that I'm not too fond of. These include: sucrose, fructose, maltodextrin, non-organic corn, and natural flavors. I list information about those ingredients below, so you can judge for yourself if any of them would be an issue for you.

I will not personally be buying this product again for the above reasons.

Ingredients: Greek yogurt powder, whey protein concentrate, VitafiberTM (Isomalto-oligosaccharides), coconut meal (sucrose, fructose and maltodextrin [from maize]), micellar casein protein concentrate, apple pectin, natural coconut flavor, natural vanilla flavor, Lo Han Guo (Momordica grosvenorii) and rebiana (stevia extract). Contains: Milk (casein and whey), soy (from lecithin) and tree nuts (coconut). No wheat, no gluten, no egg, no fish/shellfish, no peanuts.

Sucrose: White/table sugar.

Fructose: Like dextrose and glucose, fructose is what is known as a "simple" sugar, a monosaccharide. It can be combined to form more complex sugars, such as the disaccharide known as sucrose (white/table sugar). Fructose is found in fruit and some vegetables. It is twice as sweet as sucrose. Fructose can be manufactured chemically through the breakdown of the linked fructose and glucose molecules in sucrose. It has a low glycemic index (GI) of about 25 compared to 68 for sucrose, however there are real problems with its use as a weight-loss tool: Most carbohydrates in our diet break down into glucose, and the body releases insulin from the pancreas to regulate it in the bloodstream. Unlike glucose, however, fructose is processed by the liver. If too much fructose (that is, fructose not naturally occurring in whole fruit or vegetables, but as fructose powder in processed or home-baked foods), the liver can be overwhelmed. When it can't process the fructose quickly enough for the body to use it as sugar, the liver converts it instead into fat, which is called triglycerides. Excess or high levels of triglycerides are implicated in cardiovascular disease.

Maltodextrin: This is a food additive that is either without taste or slightly sweet. It is commonly used in the processed-food industry as a thickener or filler, to improve the texture and appearance in processed food. As a relatively cheap ingredient, it can also add more bulk to a given product, thereby increasing profits for the company using it. In the U.S., most of the time it is derived from rice, corn, or potato starch. In this case, it is from corn (maize). Through a process called hydrolysis, the starch is reduced to its basic amino acids. Then an enzyme is used to break it down even further, resulting in a powder that instantly dissolves in water. People who are allergic to gluten should be aware that maltodextrin can sometimes be derived from barley or wheat. Per the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA), all FDA-regulated food products that contain maltodextrin derived from wheat must include the word "wheat" on the food label. This product is clearly labeled as containing no gluten and that is confirmed by indicating, in compliance with the law, that the maltodextrin is derived from corn (maize).

Maize: This is, plain and simple, corn, which many people are allergic to. There is another big problem with corn. Over 88% of the corn crop in the U.S. is a genetically modified organism (GMO) as of 2011, per the USDA. Corn has been GMO since 1996, almost 20 years, which is the main reason GMO corn is so widespread. Unless a product states that the corn is organic, which this one does not (it doesn't even want to admit to having corn), it is wise to avoid it if you don't want to consume GMO food.

Natural Flavor: The definition of natural flavor under the Code of Federal Regulations is: "The essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional" (21CFR101.22). That essentially means that natural flavor is derived from a real food, but the process by which it is derived is unexplained and there is no way to know how safe or healthy a natural flavoring is. Why would the manufacturer of an expensive healthfood product not simply use real coconut and real vanilla extract instead of a "natural flavor" version of them? Because the real thing is more expensive than a fake, "natural flavor."
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2015 1:42 PM PDT

BumbleBar Gluten Free Junior Variety Pack, 0.65-Ounce Bars (Pack of 12)
BumbleBar Gluten Free Junior Variety Pack, 0.65-Ounce Bars (Pack of 12)
Price: $7.99
5 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sesame overload--this bar is about 80% sesame seeds, February 18, 2015
On the plus side, these bars have organic ingredients and the only preservative is Vitamin E. They have a pleasant texture that is simultaneously crunchy and chewy. If you don't like an overly sweet bar, these will please you. For my own taste, I prefer an energy bar to be sweeter than these. The sweetening sources are brown rice syrup and cane juice, and a bit of stevia added in would have done the sweetness factor a world of good without adversely impacting the glycemic level but, again, that is just my own preference.

On the minus side, from my perspective, there is too much sesame. In this variety pack there are three different flavors, Amazing Almond, Original Peanut, and Chocolate Crisp. I personally could taste barely any difference between the three flavors because each contains so much sesame that it overpowers all other flavors. I can't take the taste of these bars without eating them along with some dried fruit or a piece of dark chocolate to make them bearable.

Note that the calories in these bars are about 70% from fat because of all the sesame. The fat in sesame is overwhelmingly Omega 6 fatty acids, with very little healthy Omega 3 fatty acids, and the bar contains no healthy saturated fat such as coconut oil, though it is definitely free of dangerous trans fats. I do admit that this bar contains flax seeds, and flax contains Omega 3, but there are so few flax seeds in these bars, they are massively outnumbered (by a factor of at least 100:1) by the sesame seeds. The Western diet is tremendously imbalanced in the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3, and the tiny bit of flax in this bar won't help that imbalance. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to find a bar made with fat primarily from coconut oil, chia seeds or flax. I will probably end up having to do a homemade energy bar to achieve that.

I personally will not buy these bars again, even though their ingredients are excellent compared to the vast majority of energy bars, because of my problem with sesame overload. I actually was surprised by this, because I love sesame crackers and sesame breadsticks. I found out the hard way, though, that my taste buds prefer sesame seeds in a food that is salty, not sweet.

I rate these bars as follows:

Organic ingredients: 5 stars
Non-GMO: 5 stars
Vegan: 5 stars
Gluten-free: 5 stars
Omega 6 overwhelm: 2 stars
Texture: 4 stars
Taste 2 stars
Overall: 4 stars

Lunch Bag by Freddie and Sebbie - Luxury Freezable Lunch Box Cooler Bag - The Freezable Lunch Bag Is The Perfect Solution For Keeping Anything You Pack Cool Most Of The Day - Can Be Used As a, Camping Cooler, Lunch Containers, Kids Lunch Bag, Lunch Bag For Women, Insulated Lunch Bag, Reusable Lunch Bag or Lunch Boxes For Adults - Keeps Food Cooler For Up To Five Times Longer Than Most Other Coolers - Protect Your Investment - Comes With A Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by Freddie and Sebbie
Price: $24.97

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, attractive product, February 16, 2015
This is the most attractive, functional, appealing lunch bag I've every personally used--and our family has owned many different ones over the years. Because of its neutral design, with a solid black color and a plain, functional construction, I believe both genders and all ages can comfortably use this lunch bag without fear of being told by their friends that this bag is either "too feminine" or "too masculine."

Much like a quality tote bag that comes with a good set of luggage, this bag has both a handle and an adjustable shoulder strap. It has convenient, roomy, mesh pockets on either side for carrying canned drinks or plastic water bottles. Because this is a soft-sided bag, it holds a surprising amount of food, enough for up to two people with moderate appetites.

This bag is insulated, and sewn within it are the "blue ice" products which keep food cold. Thus, you put the entire bag in the freezer to prepare it for use. Fortunately, the bag folds up tightly, so it fit in the freezer much more easily than at first glance I assumed it might. I placed this bag in the freezer about 10-12 hours, and the food I put in it afterward stayed cold about 10 hours. However, I will say that, personally, I would not risk consuming meat and dairy kept in this bag after the bag has been out of the freezer more than 4-5 hours. For safety, meat and dairy need to be refrigerated at temperatures between 32-40 degrees.

Finally, because this bag is so thoughtfully designed, I can think of multiple uses for it besides as a lunch bag for school or work. I also use it to keep a cold snack of yogurt or fruit in my bedroom so if I get hungry in the middle of the night I don't have to stumble to the kitchen. I look forward to taking it with me on vacation. It will be terrific for packing food for the airplane flight, for long drives in a car, for outdoor picnics and hikes, and for a sporting event or outdoor concert.

Reviewer disclosure: I received a lunch bag from the merchant who sells it here on Amazon in order to test it out before writing an impartial review.

[Apple MFi Certified] Volts© 3.3ft (Gold) Nylon Braided Lightning to USB Cable Charger w/ Aluminum Case on 8 pin Connector. Tangle Free Premium Accessories Made for iPhone, iPad, iPod. (3.3ft / 1 meter Gold)
Offered by Volts Solutions
Price: $15.76

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality cable, February 16, 2015
The only Apple device I own is an IPhone 5c. I used this cable to connect my phone directly to my desktop computer to charge, and also inserted the USB end into the wall-socket converter that came with my iPhone. In both cases the cable was compatible and my iPhone charged well.

I have a three-foot cable, which is a good length for my purposes. I got the gold color, which is quite attractive. I was impressed with the quality of this cable. I personally prefer this product's use of anodized aluminum because it is much more sturdy and stylish than the standard, white, PVC cable that came with my iPhone.

Reviewer disclosure: I received one of these cables from the merchant who sells it here on Amazon in order to test it out before writing an impartial review.

AYL StarLight - 300 Lumens Ultra Bright LED Lantern - The Perfect LED Lantern for Camping, Hiking or Any Type of Emergency - Battery Powered Ultra Long Lasting

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy lantern for camping and emergency lighting, February 16, 2015
First I'll list the positive features of this LED lantern:

It is attractive, sturdy, compact, and lightweight. The light is strong and clear. It has two important abilities that make it especially good for all kinds of emergencies: it is water resistant (not waterproof), and it has a strobe light to attract rescue attention.

The lantern is turned on by an easily located, black, toggle-switch button on the front of the lantern. When you press it the first time, it comes on with a Low/Dim setting. When you press it a second time, it goes to a High/Bright setting. When you press it a third time, it becomes an emergency strobe light. A final press turns it off.

There are adequate instructions provided such that, though I am uncoordinated and not very skilled at anything the least mechanical, I was able to figure out how to remove the bottom of the lantern, insert batteries and close it.

Now for the negative features, in my own personal opinion:

It was a real struggle getting the batteries in. Yes, the instructions were adequate for figuring out how to do it, but I think it is a bug not a feature (as the instructions claim) that closing up the bottom of the lantern after inserting batteries is difficult to accomplish.

A bigger problem with this device for me, as a person who does not camp and will mainly be using this lantern for emergency lighting or spotlight-focus lighting for maintenance projects around the house, is that it does not use rechargeable batteries. Replacing batteries is expensive. Of course, I freely admit that a battery charger that charges all types of batteries, including the D batteries that this lantern uses, are not cheap. However, if you already own such a charger, as I do, then there's a strong preference to use products that employ rechargeable batteries. It seems to me that most people who are practical enough to purchase a lantern like this would be practical enough to have an all-purpose battery recharger on hand.

By the way, I've noticed that this product is almost identical to the Rayovac Sportsman 240 Lumen 3D LED Lantern, Green, with similar design and function, and similar complaints about battery insertion. The main advantage of the Rayovac is that it is substantially less expensive than this lantern.

Reviewer disclosure: I received one of these lanterns from the merchant who sells it here on Amazon in order to test it out before writing an impartial review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20