botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Safety Month Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Alan N. > Reviews

Browse

Alan N.'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 58

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alan N. RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars I did not like this shirt, May 31, 2016
I did not like this shirt. It looks great in the thumbnail but when you see it in person it just looks faded and messy.

Matilda
Matilda
by Roald Dahl
Price: $6.82
202 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Very Favorite Childrens Books of All Time.., December 5, 2015
This review is from: Matilda (Paperback)
My second book on my Roald Dahl journey takes me to Matilda. Now I admit, I saw the movie years before I even thought about reading the book. Not only did I see the movie but I loved the movie. I also reviewed Matilda: The Movie along with this as I read the book and rewatched the film. I think the book and the movie compliment each other very well, even though the book did that unintentionally.

Matilda is a young girl with very extraordinary gifts and talents. Yet, nobody in her family even notices. In fact, they hardly notice anything out further than the tips of their own smug noses. Where her mother is neglectful and absent, her father is stingy and mean. Surprisingly, Matilda channeled her abuses at home to a life long love of books that started when she taught herself how to read at the young age of three. Because of this she read thousands of books before she even had the chance to start school. Once in school Matilda befriends her subdued yet loving teacher MIss Honey. Miss Honey recognizes Matildas genius right away but cannot seem to convince her parents or the Head Master of the school, the miserly Miss Trunchbull. Miss Trunchbull is a wicked brute of a woman who hates children and Miss Honey. She is not only cruel to the children of her school but sadistic as well. Deep in her office lies a chamber that has shards of glass that line the back of the wall and large spikes that rest on the door called The Chokey. If a child is bad or out of place to the Chokey they go! Once Miss Honey reveals to Matilda her relationship with Miss Trunchbull Matilda flies into action to help Miss Honey reclaim what is rightfully and respectfully hers. In the end, with a little magic and ingenuity Matilda and Miss Honey ultimately end up saving one another.

I adore this story and would recommend this book to anyone ages 3-160. Watch the movie while you're at it for some added detail. As I said above, they compliment teach other beautifully.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Matilda (Special Edition)
Matilda (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Embeth Davidtz
Price: $5.00
113 used & new from $0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars A Film That Respectfully Elevated the Book it Came From., December 2, 2015
This review is from: Matilda (Special Edition) (DVD)
What can I say about Matilda that hasn't already been said? It's a fantastic story, beautifully acted and although not perfectly cast I think they did a very good job considering. I love this movie and watched it long before I had the pleasure of reading the book which only served to highlight the story even more. I think the reason that this movie is loved by so many is because it took a universally adored (and respected) story and elevated it with some dignity, thought and an obvious love for the art that it originated from. I consider Matilda to be a pictorial love letter to Roald Dahl himself, full of its own quirks and nuances, additions and imagery to make it more palatable to a modern audience.

It rests firmly in my top 5 favorite childrens movies of all time.

The BFG
The BFG
by Roald Dahl
Price: $4.48
135 used & new from $2.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Misfits Who Find Each Other During the Witching Hour., November 30, 2015
This review is from: The BFG (Paperback)
Being the first Roald Dahl book I've ever read I had little to no expectations going into this story. After devouring the book within the last 24 hours I can safely say that I will be reading the rest of Mr. Dahls bibliography within the next few weeks. I adored this story about two misfits who find each other during the Witching Hour and start on a journey of both self discovery, friendship and justice.

Sophie, a young orphan discovers a giant in her neighborhood late one evening mysteriously peeking into the windows of children. When he realizes he was discovered The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) kidnaps Sophie and takes her away to a far away land where only giants roam the land. She soon realizes that The BFG is not just another giant. Instead of snatching young children in their sleep and eating them, the BFG teaches Sophie that he is a collector of dreams and keeps them in thousands of little jars that adorn the wall of the cave he lives in. When Sophie discovers that the other giants in the herd are leaving at night, traveling around the world and eating large groups of children she springs into action and with the help of the BFG convinces the Queen of England to help them capture and stop the giants from hurting anyone else (besides those three unfortunate drunks).

My only regret about reading this story was that I didn't start sooner in life. However, In my opinion stories like this are timeless so if you're aged 5 years or 80 I think you can find something within these pages that you can relate to. Because of this, I look forward to reading the rest of his vast catalog of work.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Nutrex Hawaii Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica Powder, 16-Ounce Bottle
Nutrex Hawaii Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica Powder, 16-Ounce Bottle
Offered by OxKom
Price: $31.98
43 used & new from $31.11

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, October 13, 2015
The price of this has gone up $13.00 in the course of a year. Not worth it.

Dorman 741-505 Toyota Corolla Front Driver Side Power Window Regulator with Motor
Price: $72.68
64 used & new from $55.14

5.0 out of 5 stars had it installed and it works great!, August 25, 2015
I will do an update on this item if anything happens within the next year but I received the device, had it installed and it works great!

IRIS Airtight Pet Food Container Combo Kit, Blue Indigo/Gray
IRIS Airtight Pet Food Container Combo Kit, Blue Indigo/Gray
Price: $21.89
9 used & new from $21.89

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE these containers, August 25, 2015
LOVE these containers. The first one I ordered was broken but Amazon fixed it and I just sent the old one back. Fits both my dog food on the bottom and my cat food on the top. Comes with a scoop, however I try not to use that because it's not great for measuring out the food. I recommend using your own measuring cup. The scoop has measuring notches in it but I always seem to give my dog a little more than I want to if I use that. With that aside, I really enjoy using this everyday, twice a day to feed both of my animals. I recommend!

The Vegan Stoner Cookbook: 100 Easy Vegan Recipes to Munch
The Vegan Stoner Cookbook: 100 Easy Vegan Recipes to Munch
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this book, August 25, 2015
I absolutely love this book! Now granted, getting stoned aside the recipes are easy and cheap. It's a great book to have on hand when you're in a pinch and want to whip something up tasty and Vegan. This review is for the Kindle Version which is good but like most cookbooks I prefer to have the actual book. With this one it's no big deal as it's formatted pretty well.

Magnetic Therapy Bracelets (Silver or Copper) for Men and Women - Intro Pricing - 6 Rare Earth Magnets to Relieve Aches and Pains from Arthritis, Tendonitis, Carpal Tunnel and more. Effective and...
Offered by Prime Products Unlimited
Price: $24.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Intentions but Unfortunatly Missed the Mark..., August 25, 2015
Before I start this review please know that this item was given to me for free so I can give an honest, unbiased review.

I was actually excited about this item when I found out about it. For a few years now I've been thinking about getting a Therapy Bracelet for myself as I like to work out and I am interested in generally keeping healthy. I wasn't sure what to expect so when I was chosen to review a Magnetic Therapy Bracelet I jumped at the opportunity. It didn't really live up to whatever inkling of an expectation I had. First, the company that sells this says that it is for both men and women. Now I am a guy. A 225 pound guy but I have some dainty wrists (a weird byproduct of losing 140 pounds). They are pretty slim for a guy and this thing is sadly, NOT for men. It barely fit around my wrist and needed to be bent just slightly to accommodate. However, bending the bracelet proved to be unwise as now it was slightly uneven and lopsided on my wrist. I finally got it on to where it fit "okay" and proceeded about my day. Now here is where things get weird because I am not sure if this was psychosomatic or an actual byproduct of the bracelet being on my wrist. I felt nothing after I put it on. It could have been a rubber band for all the good it did me. I kept it on until my wrist started feeling weird; like heavy and uncomfortable. I had to take it off, I didn't like it. It lasted on my wrist for about 4 hours.

Honestly, I really wasn't all that impressed with it. Which is a shame because I really wanted to like it.

EZ Tofu Press - Removes Water from Tofu for Better Flavor and Texture.
EZ Tofu Press - Removes Water from Tofu for Better Flavor and Texture.
Offered by LensCovers - EZ Tofu Press
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars it's a little bigger than you would think and it's a little awkward to store comfortably but it works really, March 15, 2015
I've pressed tofu twice since I've had this. Works very well for a tofu press as it really gets all of the water out. Warning though, it's a little bigger than you would think and it's a little awkward to store comfortably but it works really, really well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6