Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 364

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "Tempting Reviews" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scotts Patch Master Sun and Shade Mix, 4.75-Pound
Scotts Patch Master Sun and Shade Mix, 4.75-Pound
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $8.82

4.0 out of 5 stars The stuff works. If you know what you're doing, August 2, 2014
Like me, you likely read these reviews and figured this stuff is a scam. IT really isn't. But the key is to do it right AND HAVE PATIENCE. If you don't do it right, you won't get growth, and if you don't have patience, you won't see it growing.

Thing is, it works well. I put photos up so you can see that it does work. But it's a LOT of work.

First, yes...this is a bunch of shredded up newspaper, feed, seed and a little bit of mulch. It's packaged like insulation, very dense, in a brick-ish form and you have to break it up with your hands. Don't worry, there's no harm from inhaling the little particles, though you may cough and/or sneeze doing so. Your steps are as follows.

- RAKE THE BARE SPOT THOROUGHLY. This means break through the ground at least an inch or two. You may have some thatch, get rid of it. You want nice, bare soil. If you have an aerator or a service that does aeration, it helps, but it's not enough. You need to agitate the ground very well or this stuff won't take root properly.

- The newspaper keeps moisture in and helps the seeds get more of the water over time; despite this, WATER UNTIL YOU SEE SLIGHT POOLING. I know, online searches tell you not to do this. So I didn't at first and saw no activity. It wasn't until I did a slight pooling that I started seeing sprouts. So just water the stuff, use a spray nozzle set to shower or a sprinkler system, doesn't matter. (The key to knowing that everything is soaked good: the mix should turn a blue-green shade.)

- This mix works in sun or shade BUT plants love sun. Means if you're patching in a shaded area, it's not going to grow nearly as fast as a sunny one. Take that into account when planning this. It'll grow, but if you're in a rainy season, it's going to take a LOT longer. If you're not patient then go another route.

- I noticed faster growth when I didn't water every day - maybe once a week or so unless I was in an extended sun period and it wasn't a shaded area. I went on business travel and when I came back, I had superior growth (photo).

- It's unsightly. It looks like cement if you don't know what you're looking at. Take that into consideration when deciding which bare spots to use this on. For now I'm targeting my back yard only, and now that I know it takes a really long time to take root, I may do something different for the front.

- The color of the grass is likely to clash with your other grass. There's nothing you can do about that.

Starbucks Refreshers, Blueberry Acai (4 Count, 8.4 Fl Oz Each)
Starbucks Refreshers, Blueberry Acai (4 Count, 8.4 Fl Oz Each)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff is FOCUS in a can., July 18, 2014
Not only does it taste great, I am much more focused after having a can. Better for you than Red Bull or Monster or any of those energy drinks, but the best side effect is that it focuses your mind more than you think possible. If you care about your job (and I say that because very people seem to these days), you'll start realizing ideas and approaches that hadn't even occurred to you prior. You might even see an improvement in your typing, writing, and presentation skills.

Try one first thing in the morning, even if with a cup of coffee. Compare it to when you don't have a can. You'll notice a difference for sure.

The High Druid's Blade: The Defenders of Shannara
The High Druid's Blade: The Defenders of Shannara
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.84

4.0 out of 5 stars New to Shannara? This won't make you a fan, July 18, 2014
The common theme with most of the reviews I read before the book came out read like one of three general summary statements:

"Terry Brooks has lost his touch, this book is evidence of that, not even close to his earlier works."
OR
"Great simple read, but I don't know that it's worth buying at this price."
OR
"Just go back and read the Heritage series. Thanks."

I don't think Brooks has lost his touch with this book. If I had to pin it down, the flow of the book feels like he's been pressured to write a different kind of story for a different audience. Which is perfectly fine; but I think Del Rey or whoever is doing the pressuring (assuming that theory is true) needs to allow him to do what he does best. It's also likely that he just wants to please fans as much as he can and is going to end up alienating some of them no matter what he does. Even Shawn Speakman wasn't glowing with his forum review of the book, which is telling. He didn't bash it, but he was clear that it's not going to appeal to everyone.

Now that you have some summary, the thing with High Druid's Blade is that it feels like a much, MUCH better written version of another book I read from a different author, Elseerian: The Second Draeken War #1 (The Chronicles of Lumineia). Taken from the angle of someone who's read (and owns) every other Shannara book there is, I never at any time felt that I had to go back and refresh my memory of anything. Enough is restated that you get the sense of what's going on without being overbearing; this in itself is an impressive feat given how much there is to know about what came before Paxon Leah and the Sword.

As usual, Brooks showcases his excellent storytelling prowess throughout the book and clearly has mastered the English language. Unfortunately, as with every Shannara book starting with the High Druid series onward, there is a very clear lack of character development with the exception of Arcannen. Even he isn't fleshed out nearly as well as earlier Shannara works, and this is disheartening, since Brooks does these types of descriptions very well. Take, for example, his description of Menion Leah and his background, which takes up nearly two pages in The Sword of Shannara, and is capped off with the following:

"Dressed in a multicolored cloak and vest of green and pale yellow, his lean, whiplike frame moved with the graceful ease of a cat. He was not a big man, though several inches taller than the Valemen, but he was broad through the shoulders and his long arms gave him a rangy look."

In those two sentences alone the reader gets at least a general picture of Menion Leah when he first meets Shea and Flick, and it is this ability that drew me to Brooks in the first place. That skill hasn't been used heavily since the Voyage trilogy. It's not on display here, at least not as well detailed.

I will say it's better of a read than A Princess of Landover by a very wide margin, and I never found myself bored with the book. It's just not as thrilling as the Heritage trilogy, not as detailed as the Sword trilogy, and not as "different" as the Voyage trilogy (those analogies, of course, are directed toward those who have read other Shannara books).

If you're new to Brooks or Shannara, I don't think the book will keep you interested. Even though it's written to allow newer readers to enjoy the story, Paxon will come across as bland if you were never exposed to the other Leah members. Aphenglow was never interesting to begin with and she won't be here, and there's nothing here that screams "must read". It's good for what it is, and the score is reflective of that.

The Guardians: Book One of the Restoration Series
The Guardians: Book One of the Restoration Series
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Really is the best of this series, May 23, 2014
I write this review after having completed book 4 and started book 5. I do note that this and book 3 are getting negative reviews and frankly, I don't think they're deserved. Missing proofreader? Absolutely. Tons of grammatical errors? Certainly. Improper use of verbs and nouns? Definitely. So drop a star off and be done with it. Three stars is harsh, because the thing is this author definitely has the gift of storytelling. It catches you, and makes you want to find out what happens next - and that's hard to consistently do in a series.

Book one introduces Flare, who is of royal descent. Without spoiling the story, Flare ends up leaving his kingdom to join the Guardians, who are sworn knights of a neighboring country. The Guardians are then placed in a live-or-die situation that defines that happens next.

I did have a few issues with the story. First, the beginning part with his kingdom is totally glossed over: there's an early scene with an escort that you hope will be explained later, and it's somewhat alluded to but you really have to take a leap of faith as to what's going on. There are no ramifications to Flare leaving the kingdom, at least not that I can tell, and he never goes back to revisit any of the people who helped him become a Guardian (with the exception of one person that he competed against). In other words, it felt as though the author was trying to hurry up and get to the Guardians section and spend as little time as possible fully developing Flare early on. We also never get a sense of consequence for what he's doing.

Second, there are character interactions late in the story that feel random and contrived. There's a death, and though we see a reaction to that death, it's totally blown off in later books of the series. We don't get that sense that the death was life defining. Trying desperately not to spoil things, but the actions in later books contradict the emotion that the author was attempting to evoke with the death in this book; goes to a lack of continuity and story flow.

Lastly, there are too many sub characters. The author had so much difficulty developing Flare that it spilled over into the development of the other characters. It's extremely challenging putting a face to each person and how they fit into the larger picture. You know certain characters are warriors, certain others can use magic, some are female and some are male. Beyond that, you just don't feel invested in the rest of the team. It's as though their sole purpose is to have Flare not be a vigilante.

There is an underlying plot that is reasonably well developed, and it is this plot that makes the reader want to continue with the series. It's never blatant, never given away, just enough that you hunger for more. If the author were to work on their character development and continuity, they would have a tremendous story on their hands. Regardless, it's worth the read if you can overlook the above.

Vanco SMA3000X SecureMount Anchors for Flat Panel Televisions
Vanco SMA3000X SecureMount Anchors for Flat Panel Televisions
Offered by Home Network Supply
Price: $11.00
4 used & new from $9.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Seem to be effective. Installation a bit confusing, May 3, 2014
I was rather shocked to find that there are absolutely no studs whatsoever behind the drywall that's above the fireplace. Seems rather odd, especially since the chute and other things must certainly be there, and my old place had an entire wood panel directly behind this area specifically for mounting. So I wanted to get something that would be compatible with my existing setup and stumbled across these.

There are a couple of things you should know. First, you'll need a 1 1/4" drill bit. You'll also need a power drill that is large enough to make use of that drill bit. If you don't have those, buy them. This kit does not come with anything you need to drill the hole or widen existing holes, and you'll need to make the hole large enough for the slide-in bracket. In my situation, I don't have the power drill in question nor was I inclined to pay nearly $100 for it (renting was out of the question), so I used a drywall saw, marked four quadrants, and sawed an opening that was large enough, though not perfectly circular. Worked perfectly (pun intended).

Next was to slide in the rear brace. This is where it got confusing. When you get the package, these are already inserted into the slide in bracket but they're upside down; you want the flat side marked UP to be facing you, not the other way as the default packaging has it. The slide-in bracket has two side "arms" that have teeth; these teeth act like a ratchet for the rear brace to slide in and then lock in place when you have it in the wall. So you have to exert extra effort getting the rear brace out and repositioned so you can install it.

Using the hook to hold the rear brace in place and then ratchet it into position was a SERIOUSLY frustrating endeavor. If you don't have tons of insulation in that wall, you risk dropping the rear brace because again, it has to ratchet into place, and if you happen to lose grip somewhere...

Last, the whole setup is dependent on you actually hanging the mount, because you'll need to do the screws after the mount is up, through the existing mount holes. Problem with that is, since you can only do one side at a time, the rear brace is stuck at an angle and you have to gently screw it in to get it to line up and squared, crossing your fingers that it doesn't detach and fall into the wall.

Once hung it seems quite sturdy. My 50" flat panel hasn't budged, and that's with only two hooks.

I would like to see them re-design this unit to be not only a bit more secure pre-install, but also not be dependent on the hook part. Maybe a spring-loaded version that uses the same type of ratcheting system, but include a twist screw to get it lined into place more squarely so that it can be screwed to the mount without concern.

Chamberlain CIGBU MYQ Internet Gateway
Chamberlain CIGBU MYQ Internet Gateway
Price: $42.24
43 used & new from $32.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many compromises. Needs to be hacked, April 26, 2014
First I want to say that this technology is tremendous in concept, and in truth it DOES work as described. Some people don't understand the difference between this and the Chamberlain CIGCWC Internet/Smartphone Connectivity Kit for Chamberlain Garage Door Openers - The biggest difference has to do with how old your garage opener is. If it's a Chamberlain that already has myQ technology, you only need the Gateway. If you have a Chamberlain that does NOT have the myQ technology, you need the Internet Connectivity Kit. With the Connectivity Kit, it replaces your panel to one that can be controlled by the gateway (it comes with both a replacement panel and the gateway). With the newer openers, the panel is already myQ enabled. But you need to add the gateway in order for the internet to see it. Note that the gateway doesn't just deal with garage openers; it can also support lights (switches), lamps, and other things that are wired in your home. You do have to buy those panel replacements, but once it's in, you can automate roughly 30% of your home. So think of the Gateway as making your home internet accessible; the panels then talk to the Gateway, and the Gateway talks to your app/mychamberlain.com site so you can communication and send instructions.

There's also the Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ-Garage Controls Your Garage Door Opener with Your Smartphone. This is if (A) you have a newer garage with sensors and (B) you don't care about anything but the garage: no home lighting automation, no nothing else. It's also Wi-Fi enabled, but considering it is nearly 3x the cost of the Internet Gateway, I just didn't see a purpose.

MyQ is a tremendous technology in concept. It's similar to Z-Wave: home automation and mobile accessibility. The problem is that this particular Gateway makes too many compromises on its path to being your sole home automation solution. As a caveat, I'm an IT worker, so technology is what I do. My feedback is from that angle. If all you care about is looking cool for your friends or monitoring your garage, this gadget will work perfectly for you, and you should ignore the extended paragraphs under each section.

INSTALLATION: This is easy. You plug in the Ethernet cable to the Gateway, plug it into your router, and give it power. Then you'll need to create an account at mychamberlain.com and plug in the serial. No issues with that, right?

Well, I have three issues with this setup. First, I don't understand why this could not have had a Wi-Fi option so I could literally throw it anywhere in the house out of sight rather than having to waste an Ethernet port on my router to make it work. The next product revision should have this as a requirement. Second, considering it's nothing more than a transceiver, I found it to be rather oversized. I don't understand why they couldn't have just embedded the transceiver directly into the panel, even if it meant a slightly thicker panel, rather than force people to go out and get yet another piece of hardware that wastes valuable space (and an Ethernet port). Have the external one as an option for those who don't have wireless. Third, not clear on why this requires an account on Chamberlain's servers given what it does (relay a signal from one device to another). If Western Digital can do private cloud where it doesn't need the drive to connect to any server except for firmware updates, I don't understand why Chamberlain put this requirement in place. Is it for app monitoring? Should be optional - give me an option NOT to do that, and instead expose a port and connect directly to it myself if I have the knowhow. Or how about this - use UPnP and do it automatically.

FUNCTIONALITY: Allows you to, from any computer or your mobile device, view the status of your garage, open and/or close it, set up alerts, and create schedules.

I have one issue with this one, and as stated from Chamberlain Support, it's the "safety law". See, Chamberlain hard-coded a "feature" into the gateway that forces it to beep loudly and wait 5-10 seconds before closing the garage. It doesn't do this for opening the garage. Only closing the garage. The intent is to warn people that the garage is closing in case they're near it. Why would I have an issue with such a "feature"? First, it's redundant. There are safety line-of-sight sensors that have to be installed with the opener; it won't function at all until you install them even if you don't want them (because you're not an idiot who stands under heavy wooden garages). If they're installed, the garage will not function as long as the line-of-sight is broken, meaning beeping at a person is stupid because it wouldn't close anyway. Second, you can't disable it at all. I'm the only person in my house and worst case, if I left the garage open and some criminal were inside, and I closed it, they could walk up to the panel and re-open it again. There's literally no risk and no reward. But again, I'm the only person parking in my garage. Nobody should be getting beeped at. I could perhaps forgive this if I could adjust the timing down, say to 2-3 seconds max, but you can't. You can't change it at all, it's forced upon you. So in my case, the garage takes approximately 12 seconds to open but approximately 25 seconds to close. That's ridiculous. Should I care? Probably not. But I don't like forced "features" that I can't adjust to meet my needs. This definitely needs to be addressed, even if it means the customer accepts responsibility. Last, it's bizarre that it still does this even if you're on the same wireless network, closing it from the app. Why? Who are you alerting? Maybe I'm upstairs and see I forgot to close the garage; rather than run downstairs, I just hit a button on my device to close it. Why is it still delayed when I'm in the house? It's clearly a knee-jerk "feature" that needs more options to disable or tone it down.

SUPPORT: You can access a knowledgebase online, email to Support, or call Support if needed.

Problem with this is, the knowledgebase answers "stupid" questions. It doesn't answer real questions such as the "safety law" issue above, because that "feature" isn't properly documented anywhere that I can see. Emailing Support is easy enough, but they'll take at least 3 days to get back to you, and if you reply to them, another 3 to respond. Calling Support is fine, but their IVR menu will waste 3-5 minutes of your life just trying to get to a voice; not because it's deep because it isn't. The problem is that the gal talks SLOOOOOOOWWW, and she embeds like 20 options under one: "If you are calling about installing, configuring, setting, moving, adjusting, programming, calibrating, or reinstalling your Chamberlain myQ device, or you are trying to set up your myQ device with your internet router, or you want to learn more about myQ devices, or you need assistance finding a myQ device, or you want to register your myQ device, or you can't install the myQ mobile app....press 1." Ridiculous. Instead of "For assistance with your myQ device, press 1". Doesn't matter what assistance, it has to do with a myQ device! After 4 minutes wasted, I frantically pressed zero and got to an agent, then it took him 2 minutes to confirm the "safety law" "feature" and the inability to disable it.

Now for the other bugs. There is a persistent issue where the app will fail to communicate to the server; it'll throw a message at you about it. Only happens when you're not in the home on the same wireless network. It's not a mobile signal issue; full 4G, and frankly, the app still works, but the error is annoying. Second, there are times when it'll show me the garage door is open when it clearly isn't. There's some sort of latency between the app and the gateway or the gateway and the panel where it's not showing the proper status.

The Gateway is a good device but it needs a lot of work.

Prime-Line Products S 4634 Counter Clockwise 5 Cams 5 Pin Mail Box Lock, Brass Face
Price: $6.55
19 used & new from $4.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, some minor things, March 23, 2014
First, the lock has the "while it's unlocked you can't remove the key" mechanism. If that bothers you keep locking. I don't mind this so much - keeps me from leaving my box unlocked.

What did bother me at least a little bit is the assumption of the door tongues. All of them are short, all of them. It wasn't a major deal - I used the one from the old lock fine - but it's almost like they figure every mail box will be tiny or that the lock will be right up on the edge of the door. In my case I needed one that was 1.5 inches long to reach the edge. The longest in the package was just shy of 1 inch, and while the door did close, it could easily be forced open. Would like to see them include all sizes, from .25 inch all the way up to two inches.

Installation is easy, at least for mailboxes. You slide it into the hole or, if you need a hole, drill one. It does need to be an odd circle/rectangle shape, not a perfect rectangle and not a perfect circle, but that's normal. When you get the lock in place, the clamp slides onto the back to prevent it from falling out, then you attach the tongue. If you're looking at the picture that's the locked position, when the lock is unlocked it goes down, not up. That threw me a bit, so I had to remove and re-attach it.

Tools: you should have a socket wrench (or regular wrench. I make the assumption you have all sizes, I didn't measure how big the nut was). I just used a socket wrench with a Gator Grip ETC-120A Universal Socket Adapter with Power Drill Adapter which worked perfectly. Flathead screwdriver if you're removing an old lock that might be a bit stubborn, that should allow you to remove the clamp in the rear. Drill if it's a new setup.

Time will tell whether it rusts or if there is any other issue with the lock but from what I could tell, it was quality and easy to install.

Ailet Crystal Clear Iphone5/5s Flexible Soft Case [Lightweight]- [Transparent] - [Retail Box] - [Fits All Carriers]

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only an attractive case, but functional, and well designed, March 12, 2014
AILET was kind enough to send me a case for review.

The first impression was that the case fits so snugly and perfectly on the iPhone that it feels as though it should have been part of the base design. Because of its transparency, it allows the basic appearance of the iPhone to shine through without dulling or making it look "ugly" as some other cases tend to do. It feels like a more durable version of the bumper that Apple used to give away due to "Antennagate".

There are cover-style pieces for the buttons, including the power and volume buttons, and a cutout for the speakers and charging port on the bottom. The speaker cutout was not perfectly aligned with the speaker holes, but the charging hole was lined up nicely.

At first, pressing the power button seemed to be a bit more challenging because it forces you to press the button squarely in the middle. Most long-term iPhone users are accustomed to being able to press either side of the button to get it turn on; it's easy to press so you can quickly get to what you need. The power button cover on the AILET case does not allow for this, and it takes some getting used to. In some ways this is a positive design: it prevents you from accidentally pressing the button when you didn't intend to, powering on the screen and draining the battery unnecessarily.

There were two nitpicks observed. First, the edge of the case where it was apparently sealed feels sharp to the touch; not to the point of cutting, but it's apparent when holding the device for calls. If you're a leftie, it's a plus: it helps you hold the phone as it rests comfortably in your thumb. If you're a rightie, it'll be slightly annoying as it will rest in your finger joint and possibly get uncomfortable after a lengthy phone call.

Second was that the phone is not matte or patterned, which means it was prone to slipping out of the hand slightly easier than the phone without the case. Again, if you're a leftie, this likely won't be an issue.

If you're trying to get something that protects the edges of your device and is raised enough to help protect the front and back of an otherwise fragile device, BUT is not unattractive and retains the appearance of the iPhone, consider this case.

LifeCHARGE MFI Approved Rechargeable Extended Battery Case for Apple iPhone 5/5s - Black Satin Rubber
Offered by DKotch's Goods
Price: $60.98
8 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Power and charging are good. Design changes suggested, March 12, 2014
LifeCHARGE was kind enough to provide a case for review.

The case is actually three different benefits. First, it's a sturdy case for the iPhone. Second, it redirects speaker output on the bottom to face toward the user. Third, it essentially re-charges the iPhone when it goes down to a point, providing roughly a day and a half of heavy usage.

The case acts the same way as external battery packs, used to charge the iPhone rather than keep it charged. The iPhone will discharge as used, but then receive charge from the case. That means that the charging priority is to the case, rather than the iPhone, if you have them both plugged in together. That's not a negative, but it is important to understand that if the case runs out of charge, and your iPhone runs out of charge, and you plug the case in with the iPhone inside, the iPhone won't charge immediately. The case has to get to a certain level of charge before the iPhone will pick up - which means you may need to begin charging your case before it runs completely out of juice.

Another side note is that the charging is not via Lightning cable, but microUSB. If you've had nothing but Apple's iPhone, this will throw you a bit, because unlike Android users, you probably don't have 5-6 microUSB cables laying around. If anything, it should hopefully irritate you to see how inexpensive they are compared to the ripoff that is the Lightning cable.

In testing, the case simply wouldn't charge when plugged directly into a computer via USB. This is likely because the USB port doesn't provide enough output to charge; it's more probable that the case is picky about the port type, just like Apple and Motorola do with their products. Some might find this frustrating, because other external chargers can charge via USB just fine, though slower. If you're good with electronics, you might be able to short a USB cable to "trick" the case to charge at full speed. Plugging directly into an outlet using a USB adapter (the one that comes with the iPad works perfectly) took roughly 3 hours to get sufficient capacity back from a completely empty state.

Grip was improved using the case over the slim, "slippery" form factor of the iPhone. The only issue is that the power button opening makes pressing the power button more difficult than it should be. Hopefully a revision of the product will address this small issue. Of course, the weight of the phone is increased dramatically due to the weight of the battery, so if you're used to the feather light iPhone, this will either shock you or turn you off. If you're coming from larger Android devices you might find this to be a positive.

MenScience Androceuticals Microfine Face Scrub, 4.4 fl. oz.
MenScience Androceuticals Microfine Face Scrub, 4.4 fl. oz.
Price: $31.00
3 used & new from $31.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and low fragrance, March 8, 2014
Menscience Androceuticals was kind enough to provide a bottle of the face scrub for review along with MenScience Face Buff Brush.

The scrub is normally sold as part of the MenScience Men's Skin Care Kit: Cleanser, Moisturizer, Exfoliator, & Facial Cleansing Brush. Talking specifically about the scrub, it does an excellent job in removing dead skin cells. It also does not dry the skin out, despite being a scrub. You can use the scrub by itself with your fingers, working it in using a circular motion. However you'll get a better experience if you use the brush to apply the scrub. The combination will also make it easier to shave. By the time you're finished, your skin will shine and fine line wrinkles will be harder to see. It'll look like you have concealer on, and that's a good thing.

As this is my first time using the scrub, I can't speak on any changed formula. Obviously formula changes are done with reason, and it's possible that the changes are for the better (for example, an identified skin reaction). I experienced no skin reactions or anything negative after repeated usage, both in the morning and evening.

I will note that the "scrub" sensation, as with all scrubs, is done with polyethylene granules, which unfortunately have been in the news recently for harming fish. If that bothers you, consider a different product or use something other than a scrub.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20