Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL
Profile for Tempting Reviews > Reviews

Tempting Reviews' Profile

Customer Reviews: 373
Top Reviewer Ranking: 552
Helpful Votes: 11949

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tempting Reviews "Tempting Reviews" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I assume the author was depressed when he wrote this, November 17, 2015
This review is from: Nightblade (Kindle Edition)
Because literally nothing goes right in this story. And I'm sure that was his point.

Main character, Ryuu, witnesses a brutal massacre of his town folk including his parents, right before his eyes. He's saved by Shigeru, a nightblade. Raised as Shigeru's prodigy. There's a darker story to the nightblades, but the author attempted to blur the lines of good and evil while emphasizing causality: for every action there is an opposite, equal reaction.

I had three problems with the book.

First, Ryuu got way too good, way too fast. I understand there's more to him than meets the eye, and we'll learn about this in the second book, but it was like he couldn't fail. He was killing people left and right with ridiculous ease, even those that seemed to have godly powers. It was almost laughable.

Second, Takako made no sense. First, she's enthralled by Ryuu's conversation. Then, Ryuu selfishly acts, and the result is bloody. Takako ends up hating Ryuu, no real forgiveness, never gets over it, but never leaves. Then "the end" happens, and while it's expected, it's like the author couldn't make up his mind which way he wanted to go with Ryuu's feelings. We never got to explore Takako at all, and she never revealed anything of herself. She became a victim of circumstance with no real substance.

Third, General Nori and his son. Without spoiling things, this goes back to my first issue.

I gave it 4 stars because it was a very easy read, very well written, and it took an intriguing story that made me want to read the sequel at the end of the week when it comes out. Just don't expect a happy ending, and don't expect resolution or absolution.

Don King Presents: Prize Fighter - Xbox 360
Don King Presents: Prize Fighter - Xbox 360
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $14.99
45 used & new from $1.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but flawed, November 15, 2015
Those who criticize the game really miss the point.

I played this game ages ago. Vividly remember it. If you're a fan of creating your own character and playing the game as if you're in it, this is the game for you. However, if you're just into "graphics OMG!!!", don't play it. This game focused more on telling a story.

You create a character. He has a storyline, starting from fighting in small, seedy gyms with a few people and gaining fame over time, all the way up to the main event scene. Along the way, realistic things happen; you get injuries during training or in fights, you have to buy stuff, you'll get into a feud with another fighter, dirty fighters where the judges/refs don't call it, etc. I remember once, my guy broke his hand, and you take damage with every punch with that hand. Just as with the real thing.

Loved the game. The graphics were not great, and the fight controls were clunky. But in terms of storyline, it was awesome.

Dawn of Wonder (The Wakening Book 1)
Dawn of Wonder (The Wakening Book 1)
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed a really good publisher, November 13, 2015
.First let me be clear: Renshaw is a very good writer. He was able to explain scenery very well. I only detected one grammatical error so minor I don't even remember specifically what it was. Character development was about a B+; I was able to feel personalities from most of the main cast.

The problem here is the same that Terry Brooks suffered in the Genesis of Shannara series: there's just not enough to care about. I didn't care about any of the characters except Lira, who wasn't really explored. Part of this is because Renshaw went so many ways; this is a book that could easily be a third the length. There's that much "fluff" and it was dull. It got to the point I speed read to the end just to get to the predictable outcome I totally expected.

Main character is at first presented as just a kid with his friends. Slavers sneak into the town; he tries to warn people but is ignored. This was an interesting few chapters. But then, he's in a cart being taken somewhere by his parents (this is the FIRST time we're hearing anything about parents, and we don't learn hardly anything about them except that his dad is a violent child and spousal abuser). This felt like a forced attempt to make the reader feel something for Aedan; it didn't work on me.

Then, the bulk of the book - and when I say "the bulk", if it's 639 pages long, I'd argue that the breakout is something like this:
~50 pages with the first town and his friends
~400 pages of just Aedan training to be a marshal and failing, while constantly being bullied by nearly everyone. This segment was extremely DULL.
The rest, random out-of-nowhere quests complete with deus ex machina event and no real resolution at the end

This is not what I expected. I expected Aedan to be trained as a marshal, then thrown into battle fairly quickly; rough yet getting better. I expected him to overcome his fears naturally and by confronting them - you know, like NORMAL people do - and not by some strange light. I expected him to master his horse, which would become a loyal and trusted companion, not a terror to the town later completely forgotten. I expected him to finally forge a sword worthy of song, one that people would later talk about.

None of this happened. It just...stopped. And it stopped with Aedan no more a man, no more a warrior, no more a marshal, than when the book started.

What also went unresolved:
- Beef with Malik, never really explained or resolved
- Emroy, who basically threw Aedan "under the bus" (this might be dealt with in the next book, but he was so sparingly mentioned in this one the reader doesn't have any idea what's to happen or why)
- Ilona's strange "not when my friends are around" behavior (Aedan theorizes, but there's never a full 100% explanation of it)
- WHY Peashot feels a need to shoot things
- WHY Lorrimer freaked out in the middle of combat

I give the author major credit for not writing the equivalent of a short story and for writing so well, but too long is too long. I also would have preferred more closure, more definitive action, and more resolution than what I got.

Small side note for the author: the book does not paginate properly on Kindle because the chapter headers are images, not text (KDP tells you this is a no-no). Thus, when you want to go to a "chapter", it just lists the first sentence, not the chapter number. If you update this book, please do at least include basic text with chapter segments appropriately, so it's easier on Kindle readers.

Sleag's Last Battle (Sleag's Quest, Book 6)
Sleag's Last Battle (Sleag's Quest, Book 6)
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsatisfactory ending, November 5, 2015
I'm reviewing the last book first, because it's supposed to be a culmination from the series. I felt dissatisfied, and here's why.

The first couple of books are slightly dark. There is failure. There's heartache. There's stress. There's death.
The last book has a bit of stress, and nothing else.

Pairings of couples, friendships, even stories told are not wrapped up in this book. The author essentially throws away everything that came before, as if he started off telling one story but somewhere along the way decided to tell a completely different one. It felt like he was trying to tell the reader that "everyone's got a little evil and a little good in them", but it ended up like "we're here, but yeah, we can't do what we came to do and everyone who was mad, is no longer."

Irrelevant characters are brought in, for no reason. Here, it felt like someone told the author, "hey, I read books 1-5 and uh, they don't feel like YA stories. You need more child-relatable characters!" so then he throws in a barkeep, a mage, some farmers, and some kids, but doesn't really do much with any of them except the mage, a character that simply makes NO sense.

Plot holes are all over the place - Percy walked off mad and vowed revenge, then nothing. A wooden arm is "critical" to Sleag's Quest, but only so he can see an arm that looks like it and know what to do? Sleag and Danagh are constantly carrying boatloads of weapons around only to leave all but one behind every time? What about the weapons Danagh left in the tree? Bree can talk to animals yet only does so once in the whole book - well, what's the point of her having the skill if it's not to be used after that? And what about "Danagh's Quest"? The ultimate cliffhanger.

I don't know if Hayes was compelled to "hurry it up", but I was not pleased with this book.

Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber, White, 1 Box, 5-Pound
Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber, White, 1 Box, 5-Pound
Price: $12.99
7 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 25, 2015
Unlike others, I didn't get this stuff to fill a dog bed (IMO, that's too much money for such a use case when you could just buy a replacement dog bed for the same price, but I digress).

No, on a recent trip I stayed at a hotel that had quite frankly the perfect pillows. They never got too hot, never got too soft, had perfect neck support, and my head didn't sink too far down. I'd never had a pillow so comfortable, and believe me, I've gone through many types: down ("Poker face" anyone?), down alternative (sore neck anyone?), memory foam (breaks down when hot), water base (half of it too firm), shredded memory foam (either too hard or too soft), cervical (OUCH)...

A previous patron had ripped a corner of one of the pillows (clearly, as curious as I was what the stuffing was). Come to find out it was this stuff, though I didn't know it at the time. Google was key here.

So I bought a 5 lb bag and some zippered pillow protectors. Didn't want to bother sewing up a pillow and have it fall apart over time. These were King size protectors, and I would estimate that 3lbs was needed to properly stuff one of them. Which means for two King size pillows I didn't have enough, and this concerned me. Usually I have to sleep with two stacked pillows due to the issues above, but not here.

When properly stuffed, one King pillow was the same height as two pillows which worked perfectly for my neck. It was firm enough to support my head, but not so firm as to be painful. My head sinks down roughly halfway and just waits for blissful sleep. Less stuffing can be used for a softer pillow, but then you get the "down alternative" effect where your neck will suffer. It also didn't seem possible to "overstuff" the pillow, which was nice. It remained breathable no matter what.

I know pillows are a subjective thing, but I strongly recommend trying this if you've had issues finding a good pillow out-of-the-box. Might be that you have to just knuckle down and stuff your own.

LUCID 4 Inch Down Alternative + Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper - Queen
LUCID 4 Inch Down Alternative + Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper - Queen
Offered by LinenSpa
Price: $269.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Plush. (LIVING REVIEW), October 9, 2015
I will make updates to this review over time. It is difficult to know things such as quality, durability, heat retention, and flexibility of the piece without sleeping on it for a good deal of time.

I purchased this to help make my Casper mattress a bit more comfortable. While that mattress is basically a memory foam mattress, and while it touts great heat dispersion and durability, The problem is that it suffers from the same challenges that all memory foam mattresses do : when it receives a certain amount of heat, it breaks down and gets weak. This causes you to sink into the mattress, into a dented space, which wreaks havoc on your back, sides, and legs.

I've been sleeping on this topper for a couple of days now. I can say with confidence that it's a lot easier to fall asleep than it was without it. The top layer is a down alternative, plush and comfortable. There's a foam middle pad just beneath the down top layer, then a gel layer at the bottom. The gel layer is rigid enough that you will not dent into the mattress beneath unless if you weigh more than the rated amount for the mattress in the first place.

At first, the topper did not feel all that comfortable compared to the regular mattress, but my body adjusted quickly.
I get hot at night, especially my lower body, but this never got overly warm or uncomfortable. It seemed to do a great job separating the heat from my body. Note that this is not a cooling mattress; the heat will just flow away from you which has the net effect of keeping you cooler. Time will tell whether this continues to be the case as I sleep on the topper.

This does not come with any sort of fitted corners or extra fitted sheet, so you will need to add your own. It's just the topper.

Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase.

BOOTS No7 Men Rapid Revival Eye Roll-On 0.5 oz/15 ml, full size
BOOTS No7 Men Rapid Revival Eye Roll-On 0.5 oz/15 ml, full size
Offered by Indigo Bay
Price: $22.55
8 used & new from $20.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Concealer, not a cure, October 4, 2015
No effect in either case. Might do something with dark circles (which I don't have) but certainly did nothing for bags (which I do have, though not large).

V-Meds COPD Homeopathic Therapy - Nano Mist Vaporizer - All Natural Homeopathic Essential Oils - for Relief and Treatment of Lung Conditions - Flavor: Eucalyptus. Please read our great reviews for related products. Click the V-Meds - Nano Mist Blue link to view all of our products.
Offered by The V-Meds
Price: $139.00
2 used & new from $139.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, but, October 4, 2015
tl;dr: This works, despite the price shock. But the vendor should consider different hardware options.

Upfront: I am not, and have never been, a smoker. I don't believe I suffer from COPD. But I diagnosed with asthma as a kid, inherited from my mother, or so I was told. I used to carry a Proventil (albuterol sulfate) inhaler around, just like she did. And truthfully, I was wheezing and coughing, but not nearly as frequent as her. Mine usually had to be triggered by exertion. It was no fun being one of the fastest sprinters in high school, only to resort to a coughing fit that would last for a long time.

When I hit my 20's, all of a sudden the asthma was nearly non-existent. I had to really push myself running or lifting or climbing to get it to trigger and even then it never lasted.

When I hit my 30's, the asthma came back but in the form of chest tightness, seemingly all the time. By now I was nowhere near in the shape I used to be, being 30-40 pounds heavier and not nearly as defined. Being in Washington State seemed to make this worse, and I don't know why, but I suspect it's the lack of sun, and the humidity at times.

Robitussin Peak Cold Cough and Chest Congestion DM, 8-Ounce seemed to always help this, so I figured it had something to do with phlegm. I started a regimen of RidgeCrest Clearlungs Extra Strength, Homeo/Herbal Decongestant , 120 Veg Capsules, which worked, but took hours to kick in and required taking them every 4 hours constantly. Not fun. If it was decidedly bad at night I would turn to good old Vicks Vaporub Cough Suppressant Topical Analgesic Ointment 1.76 Ounce, (Pack of 3), which worked, but is extremely messy and has to be re-applied constantly.

On a whim I decided to give this a try as it made rather large claims, but the ingredients seemed to match those you'd find in basic oils + Robitussin (expectorant) + ClearLungs (oxygenium) plus Vicks (menthol), but deployed directly into the lungs in atomized form. You can do the same thing with an ionizing mister, but with a lot wasted.

In my case it did come charged and I haven't had to charge it yet. After application, I noticed the pressure in my chest wasn't there anymore. I didn't cough at all as the instructions indicated. But it did trigger me to clear my throat a couple of times, and it was the same effect as if you take Mucinex Maximum Strength 12-Hour Chest Congestion Expectorant Tablets, 42 Count - clear, thin, easy to cough or spit out.

No effect with my nasal passages, at least not a noticeable effect. And yes, I tried exhaling both via mouth and nose.

I further tested this the best way I knew how: singing. And I was able to sing songs that gave me trouble, better than before. Louder, more powerful. No shortness of breath after multiple tracks which would usually be the case.

So, to summarize the experience, it does work and it didn't take several days. Also, despite some of the other reviews, my version of the instructions seems to indicate that they re-engineered the tank cartridge. It no longer needs coil replacement, with a life of approx. 6 months. Having never used a vaporizer before, I hope that helps someone.

First negative. While they tell you how long to hold your breath, they don't give any sort of guidance as to how many times to repeat. I would argue that if there's expectorant in the solution, it's probably not good to do this too many times per day. I don't know for a fact. I can say that I did feel nauseous after the first day's treatment, and I did it 5 times in a row. This is with the mild that comes pre-loaded. It says "half a Pyrex tank to a whole one", but there's no way to measure this against the pre-loaded solution, so I ignored it.

Second negative is that you have to essentially disassemble the thing to charge it. I'm not sure why they didn't just put the charging port on the bottom of it for easy access. I assume it was to block use of the product while charging, but why not just implement an electronic kill switch that disables the device while charging? This can be done.

Third negative is that it requires a proprietary charging cable. I would rather they just include the screw-on piece with a micro-USB opening, and include the cable as a detachable. That way, it doesn't matter if the cable gets lost; I've got at least 10 micro USB cables around the house and they're cheap to buy on Amazon. As is, if you for whatever reason lose the charger (and it's small enough that I can see this potentially happening at a hotel or something), you're screwed and have to go back to the vendor. What if the vendor goes out of business? Screwed. (if you're concerned about the solution, don't be. As I said, it's comprised of commonly available oils, and it's not a stretch to replicate if need be. But the charger part is of greater concern.)

Fourth negative. While it is effective, considering the hardware at play here, I consider it grossly overpriced. Let me explain. The bottles are $40 each separately, you get three of them in the case, so technically you're already at $120, so they're charging only $20 for the vaporizer. A deal, right? Except that as I said, the solution is comprised of widely available common oils that collectively, one could buy for much less $40. This is where I feel it's overpriced; the bottle solutions. $15 a bottle to me is more acceptable (which has profit in there but not gross overprofit), at which point, you're down to $45, add $20 on the vaporizer then add profit, Come to $89.99. Or, sell the vaporizer with ONE solution bottle and do the pad I put above, come to $69.99 as an alternate option. I find that much more tolerable. Personal opinion. The mild was more than effective anyway.

1Above Anti Jet Lag Flight Drink, 25-Hour Pack (10 effervescent tablets)
1Above Anti Jet Lag Flight Drink, 25-Hour Pack (10 effervescent tablets)
Offered by Shopping Moa
Price: $43.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but GROSSLY overpriced., September 19, 2015
Let me be clear. The stuff works. But you need to be aware of some things.

First the default pack gives you four tablets. That's it. Nearly $15 each. We're talking tablets the size of Alka Seltzer here. That's called a ripoff. I could forgive the price of each tablet lasted a full 24 hours; they don't. Each lasts 2.5 hours. Means you'll need all four if you do a cross country trip.

Seconds there's nothing magical in these that would help justify the cost. They're basically multivitamins with one thing added: pycnogenol which is basically an antioxidant, readily available everywhere for under $10.

In other words, if you took pycnogenol with a Starbucks Refresher, you'd get the exact same effect, flute a fraction of the cost.

Now, besides cost. I don't think it tasted all that good, either. Think Airborne, or Kool-Aid with no sugar.

Effective? Sure, but remember, it's not a cure, it just delays the effect. If you do one tablet for a three-hour flight, you'll feel energized and fully functional that day, but come that evening (I estimate about 12-15 hours), you will knock out. The idea is to get you through the day, say if you're fresh off a redeye flight but have a meeting or something. You could of course keep taking the stuff, but your body benefits from the sleep, so it isn't really recommended.

Something else to more, at least from my experience, is that it appears to conflict slightly with Dramamine. Nothing serious, but I usually take the non-drowsy version; taking 1Above and the non-drowsy seemed to result in the same effect as taking the normal Dramamine. Woosy after an hour. Totally unexpected. This is after sleeping for 6 hours.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the stuff. Effective, but way overpriced.

ACORN Men's Polar Moc,Charcoal,X-Large/12-13 M US
ACORN Men's Polar Moc,Charcoal,X-Large/12-13 M US
Offered by Cambridge Select
Price: $49.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not durable, September 9, 2015
These were comfortable when I first bought them, but the left shoe has torn near the toe and the foam is fully exposed, about 6 inch opening. Right shoe is still perfectly intact, which is weird. I'm considering it a defective stitching. The shoes are not too small or tight, they're slightly bigger than my feet with more than enough room to move.

It's too bad too because the foam pad bottom is quite comfortable and the shoes could pass for Vans.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20