Profile for Tempting Reviews > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 560

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tempting Reviews "Tempting Reviews" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Pacific Northwest Mix, 7-Pound
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Pacific Northwest Mix, 7-Pound
Price: $31.99
2 used & new from $31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, yes it does work., July 1, 2015
I bought this seed to deal with a few bare spots in an otherwise perfect lawn that receives daily irrigation.

The seeds took and sprouted within a week, under half sun/half shade conditions and regular irrigation. So they DO work.

Those saying they don't work, it's probably your soil. The Pacific Northwest (if that's where you are) is dominated by partial clay-like soils that aren't really good for seeds. You need help to make sure they grow. Try spreading down some Michigan Peat 5440 Garden Magic Peat first, then the seed over top, then a starter fertilizer. I guarantee they will take.

Rachio IRO Smart Wifi Enabled Irrigation Controller 8 zones
Rachio IRO Smart Wifi Enabled Irrigation Controller 8 zones
Price: $232.66
6 used & new from $197.76

2.0 out of 5 stars All that research wasted., July 1, 2015
I promise - I did EXTENSIVE research. And I learned that I simply must distrust what people are saying sometimes.

I needed a controller for my irrigation system. Simple right? There are tons of choices, but I had narrowed things down. The reason I chose this over the others that seemed visually superior (SkyDrop, RainMachine, etc) was the fact that mostly everyone had nothing but positive things to say about it. Everything pointed back to the IRO.

I have speculated that people are either referring to an older unit, or standards aren't where they should be, because there are fundamental problems with this thing that should not be overlooked.

- Box says screws are included. There are NO screws in this box.

- Why am I required to type my Wi-Fi password into a UI from a mobile device on the same network? Why can I not simply give you whatever credentials happen to apply at the time? Maybe I have a dedicated subnetwork for these connected devices and want to use that instead. You can't.

- Let's give it the benefit of the doubt. Ok, so why then is the password not obscured properly when entering it? This is basics of code; your INPUT field simply needs to be type="password" and the code does the rest. Lazy.

- The diagram then tells you to basically strobe from your phone screen onto a sensor on the device which I'm assuming is using light relay signal to submit the data. This seems needlessly overengineered. Should be as simple as pairing via Bluetooth and passing the data that way.

- Got it all set up (finally) and tested each zone. They responded perfectly (this is important). Ok, so my wiring was good despite the instructions not being clear enough about how things needed to be wired. It's like they assume that a person installing this is the actual contractor that set up the system, rather than making them dumb enough that anyone can figure it out. Like why can't you tell me "ok first, you need a wire from each zone solenoid, then you need to close the circuit by splicing the second solenoid wires together and adding it to...."? A travel pamphlet is insufficient and insulting for a device this expensive.

- I go to program the schedules and notice how clunky it is. You can't just establish a program per day. If you have a multi-tiered program you have to create separate programs. In other words it's by interval, not by day. For example, if I want to water a bit at 5am and then water again at noon, then a last watering at 6pm, I have to create three different programs; one for each interval. If I want to have Zone 1 water for 10 minutes at 5am and Zone 2 water for 10 minutes at 7am, then Zone 1 watering for 30 minutes at noon and Zone 2 water for 10 minutes at 1pm, that's FOUR programs. That's silly. The el-cheapo Hunter controllers support daily programming with a number of watering instances that you can customize, so within a day I can create one program that accommodates the scenarios I just mentioned. A $50 controller can do what this nearly $300 controller fails at. This works fine if you're one of those people who trusts weather forecasts; I don't all the time, and my lawn is cultivated specifically to the conditions of the soil, thus I water it to maximize the grass with a very specific schedule that works.

- You can't just see at a high level what's going on. You can if you trigger it, but you can't just at a high level. So for example, I should be able to see, when I log into the app, "Zone 1 is running (Duration: 10 minutes remaining)" or something to that effect. It doesn't do that. So I have no idea what's running at that moment without looking out the window. That defeats the purpose if I'm traveling and want to make sure that things aren't running out of order or awry. Mind you, this is on the Android app. I can't speak for the Apple one, but if the Apple one is more functional/useful, that's another negative on the vendor.

- Speaking of running awry, after I had successfully tested the zones and got the schedule nonsense configured, I noticed that Zone 1 was "hitting switches" - that is, the nozzles were just going up and down and up and down. Odd. So I stopped it and checked the schedule to see if I had configured to do that - I didn't. Then Zone 1 turned on by itself and proceeded to water. That's fine, it's 10 minutes after one of the schedules anyway, should be fine. Supposed to run for 20 minutes. It proceeds to run for 40 minutes. No amount of unplugging or anything is doing any good here. Turns out (I think) the IRO blew out the solenoid. No, it wasn't the solenoid being old or anything, this is a 2-month old system that was working perfectly on a previous, less technologically advanced controller. No, it wasn't just a bad system; Zone 2 from what I can tell is still functional, and it uses the same solenoid. I chalk it up to some sort of surge from the controller somewhere. So I have to replace it, and I'm replacing both just in case it decides to wig out again and destroy Zone 2's solenoid.

- Support was not helpful. "His app" was inconsistent with what showed on my interface. Meaning there's some sort of exchange of data on the cloud side that might very well be defective. Not sure what happened there. In any event, he was quick to say that their device could not be the cause of the problem. Despite the problem not showing up until the device was connected AND after it tested successfully (meaning it wasn't user error. I connected everything right)

So at the moment I've got the water turned off on the backflow valve end, and I'll use that to manually engage the sprinklers daily until the replacement solenoids come in, then I'll update the review if it works (meaning the IRO destroyed the solenoid as is my theory). I already checked under the solenoid valve, there's no rocks or anything, diaphragm looks good, system was flushed and had no blockages, everything looks pristine, so if it's not the solenoid then I'm all out of ideas.

Either way, I would suggest looking at the SkyDrop or the RainMachine HD 12, instead of this guy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2015 1:37 AM PDT

The Darkling Child: The Defenders of Shannara
The Darkling Child: The Defenders of Shannara
by Terry Brooks
Price: $15.99
74 used & new from $11.64

2.0 out of 5 stars Talk about a page skipper, June 10, 2015
Ok, wow.

For the record, I have read every single Shannara book Brooks has released. All of them. Even the bad ones. And this one has to take the cake in terms of "bad".

First of all, this was supposed to be released at the end of last year. Given how light on story this actually is, I can only surmise that the extreme delay was a blatant cash grab on the part of the publisher. No proof, but that's what it feels like.

Second, I skipped every single Federation section. They're as dull as they always have been. Even with skipping those sections it's still obvious what's going on in the book.

Third, this is the first book I've ever read with a DOUBLE cliff hanger. It was annoying.

Fourth, there are no "darklings" anywhere in the book. So don't let the Dark Legacy series get you thinking that Brooks somehow tied up that loose end. It doesn't happen. "Child" is the more apropos in terms of the point of the book.

So without spoiling, this is a summation of the book.

A new Ard Rhys is in power. This succession happens with minimal fanfare and Aphenglow's replacement is a pale shadow of previous Ard Rhys. He doesn't do anything, he doesn't stand out, and he's barely mentioned. Aphenglow's departure is summed up in a single Allanon mention, which Paxon witnesses, and is never revisited the remainder of the book (thus there's no explanation WHY he needed to witness this event). There is a moment between Paxon and Avelene which is never explored and pretty much ends up being another "helpless female" side story (if you didn't read the first book, you should. Then you'll understand.) Paxon is still training with Oost and is actually lauded for being so skilled, yet when time comes for him to use those talents, he gets beat down. It happens like 3 times. This in spite of the first book where he's actually saving Druids.

The climax of the story is a revenge situation with Arcannen vs. the Federation, with the wishsong kid involved alongside his love interest. This is so poorly done it's laughable; it's like Arcannen loses his powers for a moment (again, if you read the first book you'll understand. He does something to Paxon there that for some inexplicable reason, he is unable to do in this book). Then comes the first cliff hanger, which is either predictable or annoying depending on your view of it. But Avelene strikes a naive pose with regards to the love interest of the kid, and it's again like she's some sort of airhead who constantly needs help from Paxon (who seems to perceive the situation a lot more clearly).

The end of the story, which is usually where Brooks explains and wraps things up, is just another cliffhanger with the kid and his love interest. I won't spoil it, but Paxon is then reduced to the same kid he was before he took up the position of High Druid's Blade; he has the same reservations but doesn't act on them, instead allowing Fate to take its natural course for the final book in this trilogy. The final book can only really go one way, and it involves Chrysallin (who is reduced to mere mentions at points in the story after being central to the last one) and the product of the cliffhanger. I'd be shocked if Chrysallin doesn't take over the protagonist role in the next book. It's that blatant.

The entire story doesn't match any of Brooks' previous works in terms of depth, character development, connection or flow. If I didn't know better I'd swear this was originally a short story that should have been part of a bunch of short stories by other authors. But even as a standalone book it's just weak even compared to lesser authors, which is totally unexpected.

Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Hair Loss Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo
Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Hair Loss Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo
Offered by Ultrax Labs.
Price: $59.99
3 used & new from $43.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does work. Just takes a lot to see it work, June 9, 2015
I bought this in combination with Biotin to resolve a part of my hair that isn't bald, but it isn't growing as much as the rest of my hair.

See, this stuff DOES work. But it takes the whole bottle to see a noticeable difference. That's not a bad thing since it's the only thing that actually did work, but you should be aware, it's not like you're going to see amazing results after 3-4 showers. I was about ready to give up, but on a business trip (where I do apply this daily), I started seeing more hair in the places where it wasn't growing heavily. So I know it's working. I've run out of the Biotin a long time ago and it didn't do anything.

I figure that to get my hair back to what it used to be, I would need about 4 full bottles of this stuff. Unless the rate of growth accelerates with use, which I didn't see.

Suavecito Pomade Menthol Vanishing Creme - 8 oz
Suavecito Pomade Menthol Vanishing Creme - 8 oz
Offered by Pro Concepts
Price: $10.95
14 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it - but greasy after effect, June 9, 2015
So first of all the stuff is awesome for the visual effect it has as a moisturizer and concealer. It will make your skin look simply amazing within 30 minutes of you applying it. That's the good. And you don't need a lot of it - in fact you shouldn't use a lot of it. I know nobody uses pencils anymore, but the eraser head is about the right size in terms of how much of this stuff you should apply. Seriously. It's that effective.

But the downside is that it will make your skin totally greasy after a few hours of it being applied, causing you to blot or wipe it off lest you look like you're sweating. Especially if you're darker in skin tone.

Black and Decker LHT2436B 40-Volt Bare Lithium Ion Hedge Trimmer, 24-Inch,Without Battery"
Price: $63.42
10 used & new from $51.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Struggled with boxwood, incompatible battery, June 9, 2015
As with the chainsaw I was disappointed that the older style 40v battery that I already have is rendered useless by a connector style change. So there's that.

The other problem, and I don't know if this was the charge level of the newer 40v battery I bought separately (for which I have no charger. I assumed I wouldn't need to get a battery and that my existing 40v should work. Bully on me), but the trimmer seemed to struggle on boxwood. I don't know why. It didn't give me a clean cut at all and the teeth seemed to be moving way too slow to be effective.

I have ordered a charger (which isn't due for a MONTH!) and once I can charge this garbage I'll update the review with whether the trimmer acts any better.

RidgeCrest Clearlungs Liquid, Homeopathic/Herbal, Orange Flavor, 2-Ounce
RidgeCrest Clearlungs Liquid, Homeopathic/Herbal, Orange Flavor, 2-Ounce
Price: $14.52
32 used & new from $12.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long to work and weird stomach effect, June 9, 2015
So this was my first time trying the liquid. I have been a user of the pills for many years and am very satisfied with everything except how long they take to take effect. Problem with the liquid is that it takes even longer. After taking the two drops, it will take up to a day before I feel any difference. The pills are usually felt within 2-3 hours at the most.

The other problem with the liquid is that it makes my stomach queasy for some reason. Not sure why this is. I checked the ingredients and they are identical from what I can tell, but something's definitely upsetting it. It's not to the point of vomiting, but it affects my appetite, or the perception of it anyway: I go and get food, and I instantly lose the appetite for whatever I got. I can eat it without an issue, but it just feels uncomfortable.

Black & Decker LCS1240B 12-Inch Lithium Ion Chainsaw, 40-volt, Baretool
Black & Decker LCS1240B 12-Inch Lithium Ion Chainsaw, 40-volt, Baretool
Offered by CPO Outlets
Price: $134.99
2 used & new from $134.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I call it a waste., June 9, 2015
Effectiveness at cutting? I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It was able to cut down an annoying bush I had on the side of my house, but it was extremely difficult to keep in place. It took a while for the teeth to really dig into the bark.

The real issues are:

- The older style 40v battery is incompatible (they changed the connector style). So even though your battery is sufficient in power, Black & Decker has done just enough to force you to buy another one. This made me VERY displeased.

- The oil reservoir leaks from the bottom of the chainsaw through the casing seam. I didn't notice this when I first filled it, but after I did my first cut and laid it down, I had moved it and noticed the pool underneath. Rather than go through the headache of re-packaging this for Amazon I am going to see if Black & Decker will address this.

Honeywell Econoswitch RPLS740B 7-Day Solar Time Table Programmable Switch for Lights and Motors
Price: $39.99
28 used & new from $29.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, June 9, 2015
I bought one of these switches a while ago for the back deck light on my new house. It works awesome; turns the light on and off based on when sunset and sunrise happen, which is exactly what I wanted. You set the coordinates of your home (which you can get from Google Maps, or just search your city and state on Wikipedia and look at the left hand side), and it will adjust based on when the sunset and sunrises happen. In Washington State we get longer daylight in the summer and shorter in the winter, so it's nice not to have to think about turning the light on and off.

There is no wireless capability with this nor any sort of integration with Z-Wave or anything. It's just a contained unit that is operated directly.

I liked it so much that I bought another one for the front door light, and plan to buy a third for the rear garage light.

Ortho Weed B Gon MAX Weed Killer for Lawns Plus Crabgrass Control Ready-To-Use Trigger Spray, 1-Gallon
Price: $12.47
2 used & new from $12.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Just takes too long to work, June 9, 2015
I used this to deal with some clovers that were growing in the lawn. While the stuff does work it takes a LONG time, and multiple applications, before you see a noticeable change. They started yellowing at around 4 days in, wilted around 2 weeks in. That was simply too long.

I went with a concentrate and a sprayer combination and that seems to work quite a bit faster.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20