Profile for Jim Utkin > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1978

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jim Utkin RSS Feed (Normal, IL United States)

Wera 05051024002 Kraftform Kompakt 25 Slotted and Phillips Bitholding Screwdriver with Bayonet Blade and Pouch
Price: $31.40
11 used & new from $31.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, September 17, 2012
Best screwdriver for around the house use you can buy. The description and picture don't do justice to this product. This screwdriver is compact, but at a press or two its like carrying almost a dozen different screw drivers. Its magnetized, has all the popular bits that you will need for 90% of the time, I cant recommend this product enough. Its well worth the price. As someone who builds computers I love having this screw driver around, easy to carry yet, gives me what I need majority of the time without having to look for a bit.

The handle is also well made and great for any size hand, and gives you a great grip.

Wera Tools 26Pc Zyklop Ratchet 1/4" Socket and Bit Set with pouch (Metric)
Wera Tools 26Pc Zyklop Ratchet 1/4" Socket and Bit Set with pouch (Metric)
Price: $107.24
6 used & new from $104.95

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for!, September 17, 2012
You get what you pay for! Is a perfect saying regarding this kit. Whether your are a professional or a casual computer tech like me, this kit is amazing. Everything about it exudes quality. I was looking for a new computer kit to use when I build my systems or do minor repairs around the house, came across this Wera Tool kit. Never heard of this brand and the $90 price tag scared me off, then I did some Google research and learned about the brand.

Do NOT let the price scare you off. Its like buying knives, you can buy a new $20 knive every 6 to 12 months or buy a $100 knife that will last you 10 years. This is how you should look at this kit. The design is impeccable, everything about this kit is perfect. I recommend this to any level user. You will not regret spending the money on this tool set!

FoodSaver V3820 Vacuum Food Sealer Packaging System
FoodSaver V3820 Vacuum Food Sealer Packaging System
Offered by DealYard
Price: $139.95
6 used & new from $90.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A must hace for any household, June 3, 2012
First thing I did when I got it, is split and avocado in two and put one in a normal zip tie gallon bag getting as much air as possible. The other half I used the food saver. One week later the one in the bag, was almost black, the one sealed by the food saver looked like I just cut and it stayed that way for almost two weeks. I had to use it, so i dont know how much longer it would last but I think another week would of been a good guess.

it takes a few tries to get it the hang of it but once you do its very easy to use. Here is a few tips.

1. Don't use the machine to store the rolls, its annoying as heck. When you need to use, just manual take the roll out of storage and cut it to the lengthen you need.
2. Search the net for whole sale food vacuum rolls, you can buy a case of 12 rolls 8" by 50' for $155. about 80-90% saving over buying the name brand.
3. When sealing thing like bread or squishy things like tomatoes dont let the machine vacuum until it wants to stop. You will ruin both. Manually stop the vaccum the process bu hitting the big button before that happens.

This should get you started, great purchase one of the best I have made in the last year.

iVisor for iPad 2 - Black (99MO020908)
iVisor for iPad 2 - Black (99MO020908)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, March 16, 2012
Since I started using touch screen devices six years ago with iPhone 2. I have bough and applied screen protectors. Its always a pain. At best you will spend 30-50 for a good quality protector, and it will work, but its still a chore and you will still have several bubbles that will drive nuts. At worse you will just throw it because no matter what you will not get a good seal.

I have easily applied 30-35 different screen protectors, and this is the first one that did what it said it would. Easy application and reusable. I had some dust and hair I missed before application. As the instruction said, I took it off cleaned it and re-applied, no fuss. Love it! Consider me loyal iVisor customer going forward.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2012 5:14 PM PDT

Mad Catz M.M.O.7 Gaming Mouse for PC and Mac
Mad Catz M.M.O.7 Gaming Mouse for PC and Mac
Price: Click here to see our price
62 used & new from $62.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Skip this one, March 16, 2012
As a regular day to day mouse its very difficult to get used to. I go through a lot of mice trying to find a balance of comfort and functionality. I tries a RAT 7 a few months ago when my friend bought and really liked it. So when I saw the MMO version it had to be at least just as good with macro functionality an MMO mouse would need. I quikly found out that the MMO version lack at least half the adjustment that is possible with the regular RAT 7. The software is okay but to be honest a pain to use. I found that I continues to use my Nastromo and ignoring the MMO functionality on this RAT 7 MMO mouse. For the price of $130 I do not recommend this mouse. Pass on this one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2012 8:16 AM PDT

Map My Run - GPS Run Tracking
Map My Run - GPS Run Tracking
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Runners, January 6, 2012
Anyone who runs regularly should check this app out. I have used it for the last 2 months to track my runs. The interface is nice and easy to use, and it is accurate for tracking your distance.

Incipio Motorola Xoom 3G 4G SILICRYLIC Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core - Magenta/Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, September 12, 2011
This case comes with 3 pieces.

1. Screen protector, its on the cheap side, and like most protectors getting every bubble out is difficult.
2. Rubber case, you put this first over the xoo.
3. Hard case, this is a cut out that goes on top of the rubber case. It also has a retractable stand, which is a nice feature, and does not get in the way when you dont use it.

Overall its an above average case for the xoom. The screen protector is cheap and I ended up removing it, and using another one I bought. The case is a good fit, but to thick to work with either the speaker or the regular dock. I had to completely remove the plastic template. TO use it, its a pain. My previous hard case had no issue with this.

Rubber part of the case, kind of peels when you hold it, though it stays in place because of the plastic case thats over its still a pain, on the positive side, its comfortable to hold, and I think it would save your xoom from a moderate drop impact. Sorry not going to test this one.

Overall I would pass on this case and buy a one piece hard case, and get a quality screen protector.

Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player (Old Model)
Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player (Old Model)
Offered by A+Savings
Price: $99.99
21 used & new from $47.99

1,951 of 2,011 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The best streamer on the market!, September 12, 2011
First I have to say the negative reviews are puzzling to me, because I dont think those buyers understand what they are buying.

As you know there is 3 versions, I absolutely recommend you spend the money on the XS (99.95) model, the main reason is because it's the only model with a USB port. Which in short term will allow you connect USB HD and play any movies you may of ripped from your DVD's. I have a 4TB array connected with most of my DVD collection, which is close to 1000 movies.

Roku has three type of channels:

Public
Apps
Private

The public channels are the once visible in what is called "Channel Store". Currently there about 300, but channels are added weekly. Looking at fan blogs, there has yet to be a weeks in about 4 months, that at least several channels weren't added.

Now channels can fall into three categories, Pay, Free, and Subscription.

Pay means you pay onetime fee and you get access to the channel, subscriptions are channels like Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc... if you already have those subscriptions, you just add them at no additional cost. If you are an amazon prime customer then you will get access to amazon prime streaming collection, about 9000 movies and shows. You can also rent movies from .99 cents to 3.99. Or you can digitally buy movies, which will then be permanently accessible to you through any device that supports the Amazon channel.

I will admit that half the pay channels are bad, so do your homework before laying out money for any channel that requires either a onetime fee or subscription. You have to understand the Roku is a streaming device, they are not a content provider, so they don't have anything to do with setting prices. That said there are 100's of free channels, especially if you are fan of Video Podcasts from companies live Revision 3 or TWiT. They are all there in HD, and free.

I imagine as time goes on more pay services will become available as well as free once. To give this device a bad rating because you have to pay for some channels, is just typical spoiled attitude. Remember folks who provide these channels have to pay for servers that store the content, bandwidth that delivers the content, and sometimes licensing of the content.

Roku 2 operates on a modified Linux OS. This gives this device a lot of flexibility. Roku has also given out an API so others are writing applications for the device. There are already some games available, again some free, some pay. If you buy the XS model you get a motion controller, similar to the WII one. It's obviously that it's very early in the devices API development. Even though Roku 1 has been around for years, the API flexibility really didn't open up until Roku 2. There is also SD slot so you can upgrade internal memory so you can store games and apps, which you will likely have use for in the coming months, as more apps come out. For example there is one very useful app for Netflix users, called Instant Watcher, it's a onetime fee of $2.99, and give you a lot more flexibility and power to browse the Netflix Streaming Library, you link you Netflix account through this application, and then it allows you to do everything from managing your queue to browse various lists. I discovered a few movies and shows, I would of probably never found on my own.
Second category is Application, which also includes games. That's where the motion controller that comes with the XS model comes in. XS comes with a full version of angry birds, which actually looks and plays quite well. I don't see using Roku to replace my PS3, PC, or WII as gaming platform. But I can see a few possibilities like network wide scrabble; poker, etc... type games and tournaments. There also application, some free some are pay. For example if you got the XS model you have a USB channel, to enable its use for a HD connection you have download a free application. But there is also a pay application, which will allow you to stream audio and video from your server or PC's in the house. There are few other apps, but nothing of any real value at this time. Since the API relatively new, I would expect we will see a lot more apps coming in the next few months.

The last type of channel and probably one most people will not know unless they are told or stumble on it on the forums are "Private Channels". These channels are not advertised or visible through any Roku channel. There are dozen plus sites that track them. Simply google Roku private channels and you will see quite a few. Again some are free, some require a subscription. Channels range from Adult content to one person operations. Some are quite unique like a live stream of ABC in Australia. Like Public channels, private channels go up all the time, and because many of them are one person operation they also go down just as quick sometimes. Adding private channels is quite easy you login to your Roku web account, and there is an option to add a private channel, you enter a code that each private channel provides, and it will then show up on your roku. It says it may take up to 24 hours for a private channel to show up, but most show up within seconds or minutes.

Negatives: You have to buy your HDMI cable, it does come with analog cables, you have to provide your own USB cable. Adding many channels is a major pain, Many times you will get a screen with a code that requires you to go to the channels web site, register, and then enter the code. This isn't Roku's fault, because the channel provider configures how they will allow you to add the channel, and of course many of them want your email so they can market to you. This is especially a pain, if you don't have access to internet while you are in front of your roku, I do, but still this is a major pain. Roku should require providers make channel addition seamless. There is no reason why you cant allow them to pull the info they need for registration from your Roku account if you give permission. I bet in fact its already in the API. There are a lot of garbage channels, and some pay channels are not worth the money. So DO YOUR homework before you spend your money. Roku has a great forum community and you will get straight answers most of the time.

My final recommendation is that this is the best streaming device on the market today, better then Apple TV, Google TV, Boxee, and any other. It simple to use, has amazing amount of variety, and the future for this device is very bright. Streaming is the future of media, but you can get a good taste of it now with this device. I do recommend you buy the XS model, if fort no other reason, the USB port, will eventually act as DVR, there is already buzz that apps are being written to be able to record streaming shows to a HD for later viewing.
Comment Comments (50) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2013 2:18 PM PST

Dirt Devil Extreme Power Wet/Dry Cordless Hand Cleaner - M0944
Dirt Devil Extreme Power Wet/Dry Cordless Hand Cleaner - M0944
Price: $41.99
18 used & new from $26.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little vaccum, May 26, 2011
I primarily bought this to vaccum the inside and outside of my computers. Anyone who still uses canned air to clean their system is silly. All that does is moves crap around room and your computer.

After charging it, I used on one of my systems, with the retractable stick, it made it easy, but then I ended up using it to clean a cerial spill, and a water spill. Its a very handy tool to have, and quite powerful. I recommend this for anyone who needs a good wireless vaccum. Its easy to use and easy to clean.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 6:06 AM PST