Profile for Ben M > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ben M RSS Feed

Belkin Hands-Free Bluetooth Car Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version
Offered by feseracke
Price: $30.99
30 used & new from $29.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great AFTER buying a Ground Loop Isolator, March 28, 2012
I had previously been connecting my HTC Thunderbolt (Android smartphone) to my cheap Dual head unit directly through the rear AUX (RCA plug to 3.5mm stereo plug) and was getting tired of having cables all over the place. Another big problem I had with that configuration was an annoying hiss/hum in the audio when my phone was plugged into the 12V power plug. The Belkin CarAudio Connect took care of the first problem, now down to a single cable going to my phone (12V to USB), but the audio hiss/hum was now constant.

After doing some research, I learned that this feedback is called a ground loop is a pretty common problem with certain audio configurations, especially in cars. I swung over to the local small electronics chain store and picked up a Ground Loop Isolator for $17. Installed it in the parking lot, the hiss/hum was just about eliminated and the audio quality actually seemed to improve a little. These devices can run from $11 to $45 for what I have found, each seem to have their own pros and cons.

Another problem that someone mentioned in another review is that the unit stays on if your car does not kill the 12V power supply when it is turned off. To solve this problem, simply hold down the button on the device until it disconnects from the phone, then hold it down again until the light turns off. From what I can tell, this turns the device off.

One other thing that I noticed is that people are now saying that this device has dropped to $45. Belkin's website lists two similar products - one with Bluetooth (this one) and one without. The one without Bluetooth is priced at $45, with Bluetooth at $79.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2014 5:15 PM PDT