ARRAY(0xa7ff0cfc)

Customer Reviews: 295

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Dirk J. Willard "Dirk Willard" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Breaking Bad: The Final Season
Breaking Bad: The Final Season
DVD ~ Bryan Cranston
Offered by Brandon's House of Fun
Price: $27.99
43 used & new from $18.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Though dismal, this last period of the final season is excellent, January 3, 2014
In this last DVD collection we see Heisenberg's world fall apart. All the characters meet their destinies and there is finally closure.

iRobot Roomba 770 Vacuum Cleaning Robot for Pets and Allergies
iRobot Roomba 770 Vacuum Cleaning Robot for Pets and Allergies
Price: $499.99
15 used & new from $350.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, and even amazing, January 3, 2014
Summary review:

Pros:
1. Goes where no vacuum has gone before.
2. Extremely good HEPA filtration, far superior to most conventional vacuums on pet fur,dust, etc..
3. Will untangle itself from most wiring and even traps under furniture.
4. Will, with some difficulty, clean moderately thick shag rugs and carpet.

Cons:
1. Does not like loose throw rugs.
2. Will still chew up tassles on rugs.
3. Can find its way under furniture and become trapped: this happened twice ---- once with a couch and a second time with a lazy boy.

I noticed no reluctance with dark carpeting and an ability to figure out how to unstick itself. It is best to de-Roomba the area first after running and watching the robot vacuum an area for 3-4 times. I used duct tape to put wires together so the Roomba could only push the bundle around without getting trapped in it. I stuck a board in under the lazy boy to keep it out of there. I also moved a chair away to allow the Roomba clear access to vacuum under a kitchen table while I am away. I have my mother running the Roomba once a week.
Descriptive review
I ran the Roomba through the downstairs and then took it upstairs where things are more challenging. Downstairs I have tile floor, thin carpet, a thick Persian rug in three rooms and a hallway. Right of the box, the Roomba darted for my office, which I thought was pecular. I let it work in there and then five minutes later it was in the hallway and then it zipped across to the kitchen/laundry room area. I was skeptical, at first, until I opened the dust bin. It was packed. Shortly after that it went back to the charger because it was operating with only partial charge: run time about an hour. I let it rest all night in its bat cave, i.e., a corner next to my futon/bed. The next morning, I let it run through its paces first thing in the morning; this time I used the virtual walls to focus only on the den where the futon is; otherwise, known as man-cave. After about a half hour I took it upstairs after emptying the bin. Previously, the night before I locked the Roomba in the office where it did a good job and avoided all the loose wires.

I moved it upstairs; robots don't climb stair yet. It did the kitchen (tile + another Persian rug) and it seemed to need guidance. I used the remote control to drive it to one side of the kitchen that my mother wanted done more effectively and then I set the Roomba on "spot" so it cleaned more effectively. You can use the remote or the buttons on top of the Roomba. I had the virtual walls set up to block it into the kitchen.

I wanted to see it run on shag so I directed the Roomba through my mother's office. It did fine but I could tell I was pushing it a bit. Through the office to the hard floors in the bedroom/bath hallway. I turned it loose in my mother's bedroom where it searched under the bed, just like my sisters would -- oh, looking for dust. It cleaned the whole room but tried to pull out the tassles in her rug.

Next, we moved on to the living room with wood floors and a thin area rug. The Roomba did well until it got stuck under a couch and had to be pulled free. That's the only time it got stuck. It went straight back in and this time avoided getting stuck but did thoroughly clean under the couch. The living room was thoroughly clean of dust and cat hair in about an hour; the kitchen about 40 minutes. I took it downstairs to recharge. This house has about 1,000 feet upstairs --- the Roomba did about 75% of it, excluding most of the office and the second bedroom. It cleaned one narrow bathroom in about 5 minutes.

Now, the bad news; the Roomba won't completely replace your vacuum: not enough power. Like the vacuum though, it also won't pick up pebble-sized clumps, anything wet, or oddly paper punch holes. These are impervious to vacuums everywhere.

The Roomba, though it has many escape algorithms and figures out how to get away from small throw rugs, even those with tassles, don't expect these to get clean from a Roomba or even an ordinary vacuum. The Roomba also has trouble cleaning transitions say between a tile floor and carpeting. I found stuff behind that it couldn't get. It does transition well between the two, changing the vacuum mode but it's as though the debris an inch or so away from the transition is in a protective shadow.

The Roomba is a great supplement to a vacuum and compliment. I've never had a vacuum go straight under a bed and clean every corner --- that's mechanically impossible. If you buy one of these, you will get more pet hair and dust out of your life but you will still have to vacuum periodically to get the big stuff. I am happy with it and plan to use it to supplement vacuuming every week or so.

Boss Deluxe Posture Chair, Burgundy
Boss Deluxe Posture Chair, Burgundy
Offered by OJ Commerce
Price: $59.73
14 used & new from $50.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, good workmanship, December 8, 2013
Inexpensive and adequate to the task. The chair adjustments are easy, the assembly was much faster than described in the instructions. I had it together in less than 5 minutes. I should point out that I had to send the first one back because one of the screws could not be removed: all the screws are into the bottom of the chair initially. I used 16" channel locks and could not remove one these four screws. Amazon sent a replacement a couple of days later and all was well. That's what you get from China: get over it.

Waring SB30 1300-Watt Portable Single Burner
Waring SB30 1300-Watt Portable Single Burner
Price: $47.24
16 used & new from $47.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, December 8, 2013
Excellent burner! I cooked a spaghetti meal on this burner in an hour. A stove would have taken a little less time but I have no room for one in my apartment. The only complaint is a burnt plastic smell from a coating on the burner. Hopefully, this will disappear after a few more days.

Epson WorkForce WF-3540 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, 2-Sided Duplex, ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible (C11CC31201)
Offered by Office Depot, Inc.
Price: $199.99
56 used & new from $120.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in its class, December 8, 2013
Best all-in-one I ever owned!
As a long-term HP fan I’ve lived with the idea that printers and scanners are only supposed to last a year or so: I was wrong. I bought an Epson 3540 to replace an HP all-in-one that lasted less than a year and simply wasn’t up to the task at hand. I was scanning pages of my library to reduce it to accessible PDFs. I am a consulting engineer so knowledge at my fingertips is appealing. The Epson cut through thousands of old articles, engineering notes, memos, brochures, calculations. I literally filled two carefully-packed leaf bags five feet high. The Epson is a little worn out but still functional.
Pros:
* Fast printing;
* Clear scanned images --- PDF, JPG --- better than HP;
* Easy set-up;
* Easy, flexible software;
Cons:
* Works better wired than wireless --- HP has the same problem (last 3 all-in-ones)
* Scanned images through feeder are often not straight --- take care to align side guides or use the document table for hand feeding;
* Scanner won’t feed heavy card stock --- don’t use the feeder for the HP at all.
All-in-all, the Epson 8540 is the best choice in its category.
Please add your vote if this was helpful.

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 (3PC/1YR) [Download]
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 (3PC/1YR) [Download]
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars CP magazine rates this series of defense software as the best, November 7, 2013
The antivirus is good, total security is better. With total security you get the following protection:
1) Software updates (vulnerability scans).
2) Password strength checks.
3) Maintenance --- defrag, registry, etc.
4) Constant monitoring of facebook and other accounts for intrusions.
5) Software firewall.
6) File encryption and shreading.

As I said, CP magazine recommends this antivirus package over everybody else.

If this review was helpful, please add your vote.

iGadgitz Black Silicone Skin Case Cover for Sony Walkman NWZ-E473 NWZ-E474 NWZ-E574 NWZ-E575 E Series Video MP3 Player 4gb 8gb 16gb + Screen Protector (NWZ-E474B, NWZ-E574B, NWZ-E575B, NWZ-E473K)
Offered by igadgitz_usa
Price: $7.99
2 used & new from $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Good protection and compact, November 7, 2013
Life is full of trade-offs. The hard rubber does a good job of protecting the hard case of the MP3 player. A hard case below would be nice but would also add weight and thickness. The buttons are sometimes hard to work because of the rubber but I adjusted. The plastic sheet to protect the screen was a joke. I bought a skin separately.

If this review was useful, please add your vote.

Silverwave Stove/Counter Mat
Silverwave Stove/Counter Mat
Offered by SHOP AMAZING
Price: $13.82
9 used & new from $9.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Noticeable improvement, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Silverwave Stove/Counter Mat
I added this heat shield to protect my microwave from a hot plate I installed on top. This idea saves space. It does its job. The paint on top of the microwave is intact.

Holmes HAP9424B-TUA Hepa-type Tower Air Purifier
Holmes HAP9424B-TUA Hepa-type Tower Air Purifier
Offered by PureDigital
Price: $90.62
19 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in its class, November 7, 2013
I bought the Holmes air purifier because of the HEPA filtration and the VOC filter. I just installed carpet in my basement where I prefer to sleep. Carpet glue makes me ill. I left the Holmes running for a three days and most of the glue smell was eliminated although the carpeted floor area was larger than the maximum listed in the Holmes manual. A week later, I got a wiff of additional glue and decided to run the air purifier at night where I sleep. I had congestion when until I started using the air purifier again this went away. However, my eyes burned a little thanks to the ozone that the Holmes produces in order to do its job.

I took the unit apart right out of the box so I could see how difficult the filters are to get at. I've had this problem with vacuum cleaners: no problem.

Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder
Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder
Offered by Franklin Sensors Inc.
Price: $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tool for the dilettante who ocassionally needs one, November 7, 2013
This studfinder outperformed my old Stanley, it's as simple as that. I ran a test on the portion of the wall where I could see and measure the studs and compared both units. The Franklin told the depth and exactly where the studs were. The Stanley missed the studs a few times and could not find the center of the studs.

After the test, I used the Franklin for a day without complaint. It found the studs everytime.

I recommend this tool to anyone who is not a professional carpenter.

Two negative points though: 1) No case was provided; 2) the switch and the battery compartment look a little cheap. I bought a camera case, a Lowepro model Format 110, to hold the studfinder, a marking pencil and the tool instructions.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2014 4:01 PM PST