Profile for Sugar Plum > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sugar Plum "WNW" RSS Feed (Florida, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
ON FERTILE GROUND
ON FERTILE GROUND
Price: $14.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Review is specific to the KINDLE EDITION not the quality of the author's writing., September 3, 2013
This review is from: ON FERTILE GROUND (Kindle Edition)
Normally I feel that book reviews should be about the content of the actual book but in this case I have no other way to warn Kindle users what they'll be getting if they purchase the Kindle edition of this text. Textbooks that have been properly formatted and created for Kindle look just like the physical book itself, that is not the case here.

This is a very poor Kindle edition textbook, some may read this for leisure but this is typically a textbook so page numbers are of vital importance. The KINDLE EDITION OF THIS TEXT COMLETELY LACKS PAGE NUMBERS, just has the locations, which do not relate to anything outside of Amazon and are very unhelpful when trying to correspond to the page numbers listed in a syllabus. Also, NONE OF THE IMAGES FROM THE PHYSICAL TEXT ARE IN THE KINDLE VERSION, why? To have included the images in the physical text, the author clearly felt them to be significant.

I have several textbooks, not novels, but textbooks on my Kindle that I purchased in the past that are wonderful examples of what you should expect when purchasing a textbook in Kindle edition; every image is there for you to see just as in the physical text and every page corresponds directly to the physical text (with numbers on each page). So to purchase this text in Kindle edition and see the vast difference was extremely disappointing and frustrating and that's on Amazon because if its not at the standard it should be, then it should not be for sale. The frustration of having no page numbers and the omission of all of the images that appear in the physical text completely outweighs the convenience of having this text on your Kindle. This is not a novel, a textbook needs to mimic the physical text in its entirety.

For those of you that are students specifically (but anyone in general) who enjoy being able to get rid of physical textbooks and have it readily available on your Kindle, just BE AWARE, purchase with caution and forewarning that you may be better off just going to your bookstore and renting it; it's cheaper to rent it anyway! Don't pay more money for a subpar product. If you take a chance and purchase the Kindle edition and are unhappy just remember, you have 7 days to return it and get your money back.

Aurora AS420C Desktop-Style Cross-Cut Paper Shredder
Aurora AS420C Desktop-Style Cross-Cut Paper Shredder
Price: $30.99
9 used & new from $23.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Chokes on 2 sheets and the crosscut doesn't actually crosscut!, November 25, 2011
I wanted something smaller so that it wouldn't be so obtrusive in my home but the quality you have to sacrifice for the small, sleek design just isn't worth it. Because of the significant number of reviews and high star rating, I bought this thinking it would be well worth the money. I was wrong.

Advertised as being able to handle 4 sheets at a time - NOT TRUE. It fought to accept 4 receipts at a time (and most receipts have a much thinner consistancy than that of regular paper). Then when I actually started trying to feed it regular sheets of paper it performed even worse. First off, the opening is so small that you will only be able to feed a regular sheet of paper if you fold it vertically. If you fold it horizontally, its still too big (in all fairness though the item description does say that the opening is only 4.5" wide). This means however, that at most you can only shred 2 actual sheets of paper at a time (if you have to fold each sheet in half, 1 sheet=2, 2 sheets=4, and so on). Where I really lost it was when it wouldn't even take my 2 sheets without jamming. So now I was down to one sheet. Yes, one sheet at a time was all that I was able to shred with this machine and then it still jammed. I owned this machine for a grand total of about 40 minutes; I spent at least 25 of them un-jamming the machine, and another 10 minutes repackaging it for return so I got about 5 minutes worth of actually shredding done. Unreal; it fights to take receipts and you can hear how hard its working (that'll just burn the motor out and cause it to die sooner) and it can barely accept one folded in half sheet of paper at a time. What a waste of money; this item was returned the exact same day it arrived at my house.

Also of signifigance to note is that the crosscut feature of this shredder does not actually crosscut. This machine strip cuts and then chops those stips into shorter pieces. This is not crosscutting; I could clearly read the wording on every single piece of paper that it shredded. If you've ever seen or used an actual crosscutting shredder, then you know that it crisscrosses and produces a diagonal cut which greatly enhances the ability to protect your personal information. This machine does not do that but lists the crosscutting feature; misleading potential buyers into thinking that they will get actual crosscutting.

Edric [Resistant Omegas 3] (Siren Publishing Menage Amour ManLove)
Edric [Resistant Omegas 3] (Siren Publishing Menage Amour ManLove)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and getting better., November 13, 2011
I've read each of the stories in this series so far and they do consistently get better. The concept in itself is a tough one for most people when you're dealing with human beings (yes, they are wolves, but still people) in the present day and age who are bought and sold like property - but I think that's the authors intention. A main component of these stories is addressing the mistreatment and abuse that these Omegas often suffer at the hands of the pack that buys their contract.

By this installment the Omega Network has been established and the Omega's from the 1st two stories; Tristan and Carson now have a way to identify other Omega's that may need help and that is how we meet Edric. By the end of the story we are able to tell through conversation that some of the next steps the Omega Network will take will be to abolish the archaic rules and rituals that the Omega's are forced to endure that are often both hurtful and humiliating; like being a virgin and having your first time be in front of a group of 30-50 people where you have submit to 3 different men, back to back, that you barely know.

What keeps me from rating the story higher is that the length of the story leaves little room for character development especially when you have 4 main characters. Yes, Edric is the primary focus throughout the story however, a major facet of Edric's life is his new inner circle (the pack that bought his contract) and we barely get to know them at all. This is consistently a problem throughout the series; each story has 4 main characters yet at the end of each story you barely know them. When you have a main relationship that involves 4 people time needs to be taken to sufficiently develop each of those characters. The situation is only exacerbated by that fact that a significant portion of the story, at least the first 15% in this one is devoted to revisiting the previous Omega's as sort of a reminder of what was going on in the last story and segway into the new one.

Another major consistency throughout all 3 of the stories so far that is starting to get really annoying is the massive miscommunication. In each story there is something drastic that happens as a result of one party making assumptions rather than simply talking to the other party. We are supposed to be dealing with adults here, not teenagers and this story is specific to point out that Edric's new inner circle is little bit older than in the previous stories and therefore more experienced in life; they are only depicted in their mid-thirties but that's old enough for more mature behavior.

I liked the story. I like the overall concept and I like the hot Alpha's and Beta's but there needs to be more character development and that requires a longer story and I honestly don't think any of Joyee's fans would complain about a longer story.

If you're a Joyee Flynn fan, like shifters and hot guys loving on one another and can deal with the slight inhumane treatment of the poor Omega's give this one a chance, you just may love it!

Christian's Menace [Christian's Coven 1] (Siren Publishing Menage Everlasting ManLove)
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction to Christian's Coven!, November 10, 2011
I enjoyed Christian's Menace. This was a great intro into Christian's world; introducing key members of his Coven and detailing the unique abilities of the vampires. Even though I definitely enjoyed this one, I must say that I still do not really care for Minsheng. This story does however, take the time to flesh out his personality and we see him grow quite a bit. However, despite Minsheng's growth you still find it hard to forget what a prick he was to begin with. Of the the five men (the one other rescued when he and Yasuko were and the two rescued prior) Minsheng is the only one that used it as an excuse to be an absolute jerk, his behavior was annoying when he appeared in other books and just as annoying in this one! The kicking was just down right 5 year-old behavior; very unbecoming of a fully grown man.

It was quite humorous to hear Christians candid opinion of Maverick. Even though Christian's remarks to himself will make you laugh, I love Maverick; as Alpha, as a character in general so I find it a little disappointing how the other leaders seem to regard him as if he's insignificant and not worth their precious time. At some point or another Zeus, Panahasi and Christian have all made comments that reflect their lack of respect for Maverick? Well I still love you Maverick!

I am also excited to see how life will change for Christian with his secret exposed; it's obvious that this will be explored further throughout the series.

Whether or not you've read any of Lynn Hagen's other work, I think you'll enjoy Christians Menace. If you're familiar with her other series then it will give you a little more background on some of the minor, secondary characters in the story but its not necessary at all to have read the previous and ongoing series for you to enjoy this one. Reading this one will simply make you want to go and read all of the other series!

Alex's Secret [Brac Pack 21] (Siren Publishing Everlasting Classic ManLove)
Alex's Secret [Brac Pack 21] (Siren Publishing Everlasting Classic ManLove)
Price: $4.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Installment. Nice bridge between Lynn's various series., October 27, 2011
Alex's secret was a nice next installment in the Brac Pack series, it moved the series along, caught us up with a few old characters, reminding us of ones we may have forgotten (like Curtis, Mark & Caden's son) giving us a hint that we can expect a future installment that will focus on him, etc. What I liked most however, was that this story kind of bridges the gap between the various related but separate series.

As any diehard Lynn Hagen fan knows she has multiple series going at the same time that all tie into one another but are distinct and unique in their own way. I believe Lynn has 5 series going right now and all of them are linked into th Brac Pack series with the exception of Lady Blue Crew. Well, with this many series all going on at the same time the release between each installment is no longer just one week. Even though Brac Pack, Zeus's Pack, Demon Warriors and Christians Coven all share a common thread that is keeping them linked they also each have very distinct, individual story lines of their own and with seemingly so many different things happening and going on at the same time its easy to forget how certain characters relate or how certain miniscule details can mean so much later on in the storyline, you almost completely forget certain details. This story seemed to bring everyone together and very quickly and concisely reminded you of that common thread that relates the stories as well as using it to move along all of the separate series. What I like is that she did this without overshadowing Alex and Gavin who are the main characters of this story. I enjoy most of Lynn's work, there are a few here and there that I found disappointing, this was not one of them. I found Alex's Secret thoroughly enjoyable (and picturing his secret in your head is quite hilarious) and I look forward to the next installment (in each related series).

Enjoy!

Cowboy Courage [Blaecleah Brothers 4] (Siren Publishing Classic ManLove)
Cowboy Courage [Blaecleah Brothers 4] (Siren Publishing Classic ManLove)
Price: $4.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series so far! A heartwarming, heartbreaking story of strength, love & devotion., October 27, 2011
I've been waiting for this next installment and it was well worth the wait! This is one of those stories that you will wish was at least twice as long as it actually is so that all of those tender, triumphant moments as well as the defeating ones could be explored further. The story is the appropriate length to properly fit in with the rest of the series and you are left knowing that there will be follow-up on the progress of these two characters in future installments.

You can't help but love both of these characters; both are depicted as strong, independent men. A main focus throughout the story is Brody helping Neason understand that it takes a stronger man, NOT a weaker one to be able to submit and give himself freely and fully to another. The way Brody went about this was beautiful, he knew he had to break Neason to help him but he never beat him down. Brody was always building Neason up; proving time and time again that he would never lead him wrong and protect him from harm always.

This story was beautiful and exceptional to me. I have read at least 2 dozen of Stormy Glenn's stories and while most were enjoyable this is the first that made me stop and write a review. I still wish the story were longer given the situation these two characters found themselves in; especially the adversity that Neason faces. You can't help but realize as a reader that it took a lot more struggle and emotion to conquer this and come out stronger than Stormy was able to include in such a short story; this would have made a great full-length novel. Again, the story is appropriately paced for its length but given that this is a cowboy, not a shifter we are talking about here, the short length does force the story to take place in an unrealistic time span. I cannot imagine a human facing such adversity and completely overcoming it and bouncing back from it in a time span of less than 4 weeks. So yes, I wish it were longer but it is still a beautifully written, loving story that will make you wish Neson was your very own cowboy to love on and take care of!

His Dad's Best Friend
His Dad's Best Friend
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Entirely too short to be enjoyable and nothing really happens...what a waste!, October 6, 2011
When you first open the book it says 404 locations; pretty short yes, but o.k. it was only .99c Then just when you're getting into it, you turn the page and it says "Thank you for purchasing this book" and has all of the normal closing credits at the end of a book. I was like "what?", there is no way I read all the way to the end so I checked the percentage only to discover that the end of the book was at the 53% mark. Literally, only 214 of the 404 locations is actual story. Given that the story begins at the 5% mark that mean only 48% of the actual file size is the story you are paying for. This story ends at the53% mark and the rest of the text is excerpts from other stories the publisher/author are trying to sell. I'll never purchase another knowing how extremely short it is and that nearly half of the file size is going to be dedicated to promoting other books.

I think what irritated me even more than the length of the story was the fact that NOTHING ACTUALLY HAPPENED. The climax that you so eagerly wait for sucked because just when it began to build and you're waiting to see what happened next between the characters, nothing did and the story was over. Literally, over. I have never been so unexpectedly caught off guard by an abrupt ending as I was here. A story really has to piss me off for me to even bother with writing a negative review because I have read several hundred and simply don't have the time to review them all. Well this one succeeded in doing just that.

Fair warning, waste your money at your own risk!

Norpro 994C Silicone Egg Pancake Ring Round, Blue
Norpro 994C Silicone Egg Pancake Ring Round, Blue
Price: $5.73
20 used & new from $3.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Breakfast Sandwich Eggs...but not if you add ingrediants., August 22, 2011
There was a tasty looking recipe on the back of the package....so I decided to try it. Didn't work out so well mainly because by the time the egg was solid enough for me to remove the ring the bottom of the egg was way overdone and I'm talking overdone to the point where I was able to peel it away as a separate layer from the rest of the egg, ugh! I tried this multiple times with less and less ingrediants to the point where there was so little of any of the ingrediants that there was no point in adding any at all. I ultimately just gave up because when I bought it I never had any intention of trying to making any type of omelette thing; I only tried b/c of the recipe on the package and it looked good.

When using just one egg (no other ingrediants at all) the egg sets quickly enough for you to flip it before its scorched into a super tough, chewy skin. Therefore it seems to suit the purpose for which I bought it and that pleases me b/c it makes what was once a terribly frustrating process a breeze! You simply cant try to make the eggs too thick; if the rings are too full the bottoms will cook too fast and if you lower the temp at which your cooking to prevent the scorched bottom it'll take 30 minutes+ just to cook the egg through and by that point you'll have snacked so much that you'll no longer be hungry for your breakfast sandwich (and the bottom will still be scorched)!

Coby CVE92 Isolation Stereo Earphones
Coby CVE92 Isolation Stereo Earphones
Offered by PlusGadgets
Price: $9.95
2 used & new from $9.95

2.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For., June 24, 2011
I was a little disappointed with these but it should have been expected given the price. The quality is poor. They sound like rattling, blown out speakers from the minute I first used them. There is no cushioning at all for the part that goes into your ear (the picture makes it appear as if there is but don't be fooled; its just a thin film shaped to look puffy and cushioned, its actually hollow though). I could have spent $4 more @ walmart and had an awesome pair earphones (which I did). I bought these to replace a pair I bought at Walmart 2 years ago for $9.97. I just went and bought the same ones again and there is a world of difference between the two. These Coby earphones will just stay thrown in the back of a drawer to serve as a last minute replacement should I run out of other options. I should have known better than to waste my money. If it seems too good to be true, it always is!

Heaven's Hell [Brac Pack 13] (Siren Publishing Everlasting Classic ManLove)
Heaven's Hell [Brac Pack 13] (Siren Publishing Everlasting Classic ManLove)
Price: $3.82

1.0 out of 5 stars Read whole series, probably wont continue. What a Waste!, June 17, 2011
I have read this entire series. I stumbled across the 1st book and just couldn't not continue on with the next. And even though I found it a little absurd to be charging $4 for each of these extremely short stories I kind got hooked and enjoyed the continuing story about this group of wolf shifters and their mates. Every now and then I found a little disappointment with the stories but not so much so that I walked away. Now, here I am at boook 13 and I am at a loss for words? The author jumped way off the deep end with this and it doesn't even seem to fit into the series @ all. Yes, creativity sets you apart as a writer but what heck is this? I cannot say that I will be wasting my money on the remaining 6 or so titles in this series. I feel like a fool to begin with because I have already invested over $60 in this series when each of these books should have been $2 a piece due to the length. It is extremely disappointing when you so anxiously await something that you check 20+ times the day it should be available just to download it. I downloaded this book so soon after it became available that it doesn't even have a cover in my Kindle. I want to be pissed off after having spent so much money on this series but find that I am just really disappointed that the writing appears to only get worse instead of better as should be expected. I am done with this writer because I feel like we are being taken advantage of; 1st with the prices of each of these mini books and now with the outlandish writing she's spewing out just to keep the series going and keep cashing in off of suckers (like me apparently) who are stupid enough to get hooked on the beginning story line and then foolishly hang on thinking the story will only get better with time, not! I do not expect best seller writing when purchase something like this, not by a long shot. But really? What is this?

Page: 1 | 2