Profile for Jilly67 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jilly67 RSS Feed (Denver, CO)

Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
by Meiko Arquillos
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $17.17
105 used & new from $3.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, April 3, 2008
I purchased this book after spontaneously purchasing a sewing machine. I hadn't sewn since junior high so I was looking for a book with easy beginner projects. I purchased this book along with Sew Everything Workshop by Diana Rupp. It was a good combination. Sew Everything covers more of the basics and mechanics of sewing why Simple Sewing has more projects I wanted to complete.

So far I've made the draft snake and several tote bags. Sorry to disagree with the other reviewer but as someone who lives in an older home, the draft snake is actually quite useful. I was able to complete both the snake and tote bags within a few hours. I thought both projects to be easy to follow and very forgiving. It was easy to correct mistakes and still end up with a useable product.

The book has beautiful photography and the pictures are very inspiring. I find I get excited about sewing my next projects and come up with all sorts of ideas after looking through the book. I'm looking forward to making several of the other bags, the apron, pot holders and overn mitts. It is spiral bound which is very handy. I'm pleased with the purchase.

Creme De Colorado Cookbook (Celebrating Twenty Five Years of Culinary Artistry)
Creme De Colorado Cookbook (Celebrating Twenty Five Years of Culinary Artistry)
by Junior League of Denver
134 used & new from $0.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Never fail cookbook, November 6, 2006
This was the first cookbook my parents bought me when I moved out. It's the cookbook I turn to when entertaining. Favorites include the mustard chicken in phyllo and maroon bell cheese spread. Guests always ask for the recipes.

America's Women
America's Women
by Gail Collins
159 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down, July 18, 2006
This review is from: America's Women (Paperback)
I purchased this book in an act of desperation at an airport bookstore. It turned out to be a great read and one I would recommend to any of my friends or family members. While it can be frustrating to read about how women were treated, there are so many inspirational women in the book. It makes me so thankful for the life I have today. Plus, it read like a good novel - I didn't want it to end.

Mexican Everyday
Mexican Everyday
by Rick Bayless
Price: $20.99
103 used & new from $10.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and healthy Mexican food, January 3, 2006
This review is from: Mexican Everyday (Hardcover)
I began cooking Mexican food at home 5 years ago while living in upstate New York where authentic Mexican restaurants are scarce. While I loved the results, many of the dishes were time consuming and unrealistic for weeknight cooking. I purchased the newest Rick Bayless cookbook hoping it would introduce Mexican cuisine beyond tacos to our mid-week dining.

So far, I am very pleased with the cookbook. Rick left out more time consuming recipes such as mole or chile sauces made with whole, dried chiles and in their place has recipes that rely on chile powder, tomatillos or other quick cooking ingredients. To my delight, there are several slow-cooker recipes included which are perfect for mid-week meals.

So far, I have made the fire roasted salsa, slow-cooker beans, chipotle-balsamic dressing, the adobo marinade and the Yucatan rice. All were delicious and very easy. The salsa has quickly replaced store-bought as it can be made in minutes. It's even quicker if you forgo the roasting of the jalapeno and garlic, which I've done with fine results.

As a bonus, the majority of the recipes are quite healthy with little added fat or cheese. I also appreciate the chapter on main dish salads. I expect to use this book frequently during the week and would recommend it to anyone who loves Mexican food and would like to make it at home.

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook (NYM Series)
Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook (NYM Series)
by Beth Hensperger
Price: $14.36
223 used & new from $1.36

4.0 out of 5 stars The best slow cooker recipe book available, December 19, 2005
I recently purchased "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" after purchasing a slow cooker. I am interested in using a slow cooker so I can still eat home cooked meals during times when I'm working a lot of hours. I generally prepare most of our meals from Cooking Light or Food and Wine. I was not interested in making slow cooker meals with condensed soups or other processed products and wanted an alternative to the meat and potato recipes most slow cooker recipe books featured. "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" fit the bill perfectly. There are numerous healthy recipes throughout the book as well as recipes from many different ethnic cuisines. While the traditional recipes you expect are in here, they are augmented with recipes such as Pork Tenderloin in Peanut Sauce or Orange Hoisin Beef. There is only one recipe which uses onion soup mix. None call for condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup! There are also numerous vegetarian meals. So far I have made the Beef Fajitas and the Black Bean Chili - both were excellent and very easy. I am also excited to try foods which I never expected to make in a slow cooker such as the cakes, breakfast cereals and chutneys. I also appreciated the information on high altitude cooking, as I live in Colorado. My one complaint would be the cooking times. Most are less than 8 hours so they are not practical for making while I'm at work. I have purchased a device made by Rival that allows me to program my traditional, two-setting slow cooker. I'm hoping this will allow me to make the recipes with shorter cooking time during the week.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2011 8:31 AM PST

Nigella Bites: From Family Meals to Elegant Dinners -- Easy, Delectable Recipes For Any Occasion
by Nigella Lawson
Price: $23.33
250 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Ham with Coca Cola, November 13, 2005
I haven't read the entire book but I have made the ham boiled in coke. It was outstanding! I've made it several times for my family and it's almost worth the price of the book. It couldn't be easier and always turns out delicious.

Rao's Cookbook: Over 100 Years of Italian Home Cooking
Rao's Cookbook: Over 100 Years of Italian Home Cooking
by Nicholas Pileggi
Price: $29.14
112 used & new from $4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Restaurant Quality Food at Home, May 25, 2005
I received this book as a gift and use it constantly. The recipes are very simple and require few ingredients. My husband is from New York and since we live in Colorado, I make food from the cookbook whenever he's homesick. Our staples are the marinara sauce, saltimbuca, chicken parm, stuffed shells and manicotti. Everything has turned out great.

The Magic of Ordinary Days
The Magic of Ordinary Days
by Ann Howard Creel
104 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet romance, February 3, 2005
I bought this book after seeing the Hallmark special on TV. I read it in one evening and really enjoyed it. I don't think the author is immature. I certainly wouldn't fault the author for not being Tom Wolfe! If I want that sort of challenge, I read Tom Wolfe, not a slim paperback that's been made into a Hallmark movie. This is the kind of book to read on the beach or sitting on your porch when you want a nice escape into another time.

That being said, I thought the book did a great job of showing how Livvy grew to care about Ray. It was better then the movie in that sense. The reader also gets a better sense of the fun they have together and how they grow to enjoy each other's company and trust each another. It has all the sweetness the movie portrayed and there were several touching scenes between the two of them. All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed the movie.