Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Plummie > Reviews

Browse

Plummie's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Plummie RSS Feed (Market Blandings)

The Color of Magic
The Color of Magic
DVD ~ David Jason
Offered by Surplus DVD Source
Price: $27.99
9 used & new from $7.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Most successful of all Pratchett adaptations., August 15, 2009
This review is from: The Color of Magic (DVD)
Although I am a firm lover and collector of all things Pratchett, the novels on which this adaptation is based are not among my favourites. Perhaps this is why minor departures from the text, pointed out by other reviewers, did nothing to diminish my enjoyment in any way.

I loved it. In particular, I thought the casting choices, performances (Jeremy Irons is fabulous), and `look' of the film were all excellent, making this is the best Pratchett adaptation to date, in my view.

Now, if we could just have some quality adaptations of the witches novels, I'd be a happy woman indeed.

A Snowball In Hell
A Snowball In Hell
by Christopher Brookmyre
Edition: Audio Cassette

3.0 out of 5 stars Serial killer targets celebrity airheads. What's not to like?, August 15, 2009
I'm reviewing the book here, although this is technically the audio book, but I can't find the book for sale on Amazon.

This author was recommended to me by someone who thought I would like it because I am a P.G.Wodehouse fan looking for modern writers I might enjoy. Given that I rarely read modern novels, the first chapter or so was a complete culture shock. I can't say I was comfortable with it. Brookmyre bears no resemblance to Wodehouse whatsoever that I can see.

I did stick with it though, and found myself really enjoying it, right through to the end. I found Brookmyre's style and characters quite fascinating. Also, as I loathe celebrity culture and reality TV, I gleaned some satisfaction in seeing the vapid celebrity victims bumped off. I would not call this book funny or comedic, but it is satisfying in a wry sort of way.

In summary, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in this particular genre. I certainly will be exploring more of Brookmyre's work.

Harriet
Harriet
by Jilly Cooper
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
60 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good solid writing and romance, August 15, 2009
This review is from: Harriet (Mass Market Paperback)
I should preface this review by explaining that this is my first foray into the popular romance genre. I picked up 'Harriet' in a flying visit to a bookshop to help my recovery from a long bout of flu. I went home and read it, quite easily and happily, in one sitting.

From the first, I was surprised by the quality of the writing, which was much better than expected, although my good impression might be skewed by the fact that I read this straight after reading a 'cosy mystery' novel which was poorly written. I think Jilly Cooper has done well within the confines of the genre, supported by a readable, well polished writing style. The setting of this story, in both time and place, is superb.

My only 'problem' is that the heroine is young and attractive, so there is never any real doubt about the hero being interested in her; but this really my 'problem' with the genre as a whole, rather than this particular book.

In summary, I still don't think this genre is for me, but if and when I'm in the mood to try again, I think I would be in good hands with Jilly Cooper. I'm giving it 3 stars, which is a decent rating from me.

The Golden Compass (Widescreen Single-Disc Edition)
The Golden Compass (Widescreen Single-Disc Edition)
DVD ~ Nicole Kidman
Price: Click here to see our price
279 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Best film I've seen in ages, August 12, 2009
I was at home, very ill, and watching TV. Something I rarely do. I had no expectations of the film, but it sounded better than anything else that was on offer. As it happened, it was the best film I've seen in years. I've now watched it again several times, and never get bored of it. I love the look and feel of the film, the acting performances, the atmosphere, and best of all, Iorek the Armored Bear. I am astonished that other reviewers have found it boring.

Since watching the film, I have read the original books and I agree that the books are better. But then books usually are. Also, filmmakers tend to pander to audience expecations about good guys and bad guys, whereas the lines between good and evil are much fuzzier in the books. Having said that, I still love the film. I don't see the need to compare it with the Harry Potter or Narnia movies, but if I did, the comparison would be in favour of The Golden Compass.

Looking forward to the next one (please).

Cambridge Spies
Cambridge Spies
DVD ~ Rupert Penry-Jones
20 used & new from $14.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, January 17, 2008
This review is from: Cambridge Spies (DVD)
Watching this for the first time as a fan of actor Samuel West, and author John Le Carre's spy novels, I was expecting a little more cloak and dagger. However, this interesting and more 'human' approach delved into the nature of how 4 idealistic young men became double agents in the spy game. I also enjoyed the series for the performances of some of the best British actors (some emerging, some established) of our generation.

The Firm
The Firm
DVD ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $12.47
133 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent film, December 28, 2006
This review is from: The Firm (DVD)
One of the best things about The Firm, is that it doesn't insult the viewer's intelligence by labouring the point. The film and plot are developed through visuals as well as dialogue. From other reviews here, I gather that viewers used to having film plots spoon-fed to them may find this challenging or confusing, but I prefer it. If necessary, try watching the film twice. It is certainly good enough for a repeat viewing.

I'm not a Tom Cruise fan, nor a John Grisham reader, but this is the kind of role he is well suited to. The supporting cast is excellent, excellent, excellent. The film is well paced and the locations, cinematography and soundtrack all combine to create an enjoyable and suspenseful film.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2014 7:54 AM PDT

Unconditional Love (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Unconditional Love (Widescreen/Full Screen)
DVD ~ Kathy Bates
Price: $4.99
90 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Unconditional approval, December 27, 2006
This is an unexpected film that offers something for everyone. A small dose of singing and schmaltz is offset by a little light serial killing and black humour - all in perfect harmony. Like prosciutto with melon - it sounds odd, but you'll be glad you tried it. Rupert Everett is excellent, and Julie Andrews and Richard Briers are always a pleasure to watch.

Trading Places (Widescreen Collection)
Trading Places (Widescreen Collection)
DVD ~ Eddie Murphy
Offered by WeeBee CD's N Stuff
Price: $7.75
246 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 80s comedy., December 27, 2006
This is one of the great 80s comedies; with an excellent cast, well paced plot, and interesting characters. What the characters lack in depth, is made up for with the energy the actors bring to their roles. The repeated nudity is not exactly to my taste, but it doesn't spoil the overall enjoyment of the film.