Profile for Traveler > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Traveler RSS Feed (NH USA)

New Balance Men's MWM756v2 Country Walking Shoe,Brown,11.5 D US
New Balance Men's MWM756v2 Country Walking Shoe,Brown,11.5 D US
Price: $60.56
2 used & new from $60.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Ordered 0. 5 sizes up so the shoes fit ..., September 2, 2014
Ordered 0.5 sizes up so the shoes fit but they are after a couple of days still quite snug. I wanted slip-on walkers so these fit the bill but I think if I hadn't gotten an amazingly low price I'd have sent them back and bought another brand.

Croakies Unisex Adult Guatemalan World Cord  Eyewear Retainer (24 inches) Colors may vary, fits small to large frames
Croakies Unisex Adult Guatemalan World Cord Eyewear Retainer (24 inches) Colors may vary, fits small to large frames
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK. A few stripes on black cord but ..., July 31, 2014
Just OK. A few stripes on black cord but looks ok. An inch or so short of 24" the packaging label says "Guatemalan Small" - close enough to my old ones but still. Likely would have kept looking if I'd seen these in a real store but not worth the trouble to return.

Pinzon Hotel Stitch 400-Thread-Count 100-Percent Egyptian Cotton Sateen Sheet Set, California King, White with Plum Stripes
Price: $64.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, not so great embroidery, July 1, 2014
For what I paid, I'd have to say these are really good value sheets. Sheets themselves are fairly smooth although not the best, but they've only been washed a couple times so they may get better. Fitted sheet is deep enough for our fairly tall mattress with a memory foam topper. What was not so great is the embroidery, it's pretty poor so do yourself a favor and add Dritz 674 Fray Check Liquid Seam Sealant, 0.75-Ounce to your order to stop the many loose threads that will soon appear.

Philips AS140/37 Fidelio Bluetooth Speaker with Micro-USB Dock
Philips AS140/37 Fidelio Bluetooth Speaker with Micro-USB Dock
Offered by Explosive Bargains
Price: $62.00
21 used & new from $32.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Died after a year. But resurrected by customer service., November 15, 2013
I had given this a one star review, but I'm revising it back to 4 stars. Mine bricked (unresponsive to any of the buttons) after a year of happy use and was out of warranty. However, just before recycling it I reached a helpful customer service person at Philips, and his longshot-sounding suggestion of unplugging it and pressing the power button "quickly 20 or 30 times in a row" worked! My dock came back to life and has been working well ever since. His suggestion was pretty obscure so I'm posting it in case it can be helpful for others.

Quicken Deluxe 2013 [Download] [OLD VERSION]
Quicken Deluxe 2013 [Download] [OLD VERSION]

3.0 out of 5 stars Five minutes to install, one hour on chat to get working..., February 9, 2013
Upgraded from Quicken 2010 solely due to their sunset policy. Seriously, Intuit, why not just let your customers pay a subscription fee after 3 years instead of these pointless upgrades? That way, you get the money without annoying your customers and everyone goes away happy.

Install from disk was fine, ran the R10 updates, and it converted my 15 years of data without issue. Well, not completely without issues. A bunch of closed accounts with rounding error (0.000025 shares) balances resurrected themselves but these were fairly easy to find and fix. Then I tried to download transactions from my accounts, and while some worked Amex turned out to be one STOP update even though it had been working perfectly in Q2010. Online chat with tech support did eventually solve the problem, but really this sort of stuff should not be happening this late in the release cycle.

As to features, I don't think I'm in any hurry to try the problematic mobile app so there's not much new here and I think the Investments homepage has taken a step back compared to Q2010 as it has way more options but not as clean an overview.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus 16GB (Dual Core, Universal Remote, WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus 16GB (Dual Core, Universal Remote, WiFi)
11 used & new from $108.99

4.0 out of 5 stars First impression, premium tablet at premium price., November 4, 2011
After reading a few theoretical reviews, I thought I would post a very early review based on one whole day of using my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (which I've updated a couple of times). I've rated it overall 4*, which is 5* for the Tab and 3* for a premium price. There are certainly less expensive tablets, but I think this one really does have class-leading features. It's up to you whether you think the features justify the price or whether you want to wait for the next better-faster-cheaper version.

Not much to say about the design, it's a slab but the build quality is excellent and it feels very solid. I bought this specifically because it's a 7" form factor, and I wanted portable and pocketable which this delivers. I've posted a picture of what's in the box, it's just the tablet, charger and cable [see photo on the product page]. Don't plan on learning much from the "manual", which is a tiny little booklet. One thing I can't say is whether it has Gorilla Glass like the original Tab. I hope so, but Samsung doesn't say much as Amazon shipped before the release date -- heck, Samsung won't even let me register it yet. The screen quality, brightness and resolution is excellent although I did wind up disabling auto brightness as I thought it kept things a little dark. Easily fixed by manually setting the brightness to about 60%. The auto setting was probably to save battery life, which seems excellent. Charged to 100% this morning, and after a day of light usage (web browsing, wifi on all day, an hour of music listening, dozen or so apps loaded, 15 minutes of navigation) I still have 51% remaining after a day of usage. [11/6] I'm still happy with battery life, but I will say watching Netflix looks like it would only last about 4-5 hours.

Honeycomb with this tablet is extremely responsive, and I didn't find Touch Wiz intrusive. Actually everything pretty much just works the way you'd hope. GPS and Google Maps worked great, got sat lock in only a few minutes sitting on the passenger seat of the car. Local driving, but Google Maps cached enough that nav worked great. [11/6] In answer to several comments, the GPS works without wifi. Google Maps caches some local coverage, and there are standalone nav apps that have broader coverage. If traffic updates are important, you won't get them with no wifi.

Tried the camera, it's point-and-shoot cellphone quality but nothing approaching even my Lumix camera let alone a DSLR. [11/12] But apps like Barcode Scanner and Skype make good use of the cameras. The touchscreen is very responsive, and Netflix and Youtube looked great on my home wifi. No problems at all with any of the apps I downloaded, they all ran and looked great. [11/12] The 1.5.14 Pandora update fixes my previous UI complaint, so Pandora now looks as good as it sounds. If you want to pretend to buy this for work with a clear conscience, I also setup the built-in VPN client and was able to load a free RDP application (Pocketcloud) from the Android market to access our Windows servers just fine. [11/12] The Peel Smart Remote folks never answered their email support form (why bother to have it if you don't respond?), but their 1.2.6 update did deliver basic support for my Time Warner/Motorola DVR so I've now had a chance to use the built-in remote. The personalized program guide is nice and I might actually use it. But the remote functions supported are pretty basic so I'll still be using my Logitech Harmony - maybe they'll create an app!

If you're looking for a smaller tablet with all the bells and whistles, I think you'd be happy with this one.
Comment Comments (30) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2012 12:54 PM PDT

The Tears of the Sun: A Novel of the Change (Change Series)
The Tears of the Sun: A Novel of the Change (Change Series)
by S. M. Stirling
92 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A novel of the not so much changes this time, September 15, 2011
At the end of the last book, Montival prepares for the final battle. Now at the end of this installment, Montival really, really prepares for that final battle, really soon! In between are many pages of flashbacks - some interesting but most not so much if you've been reading the series - and the plot advances by mere inches. Wish I'd waited for this to be paperback priced.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2011 9:01 PM PDT

MSI PC60G Wireless 11g Turbo G PCI Card
MSI PC60G Wireless 11g Turbo G PCI Card
7 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1 easy install, March 15, 2009
After reading past reviews, I was prepared to have to download special 64-bit drivers to make this card work with Vista 64-bit. But they weren't needed: Vista 64 automatically got the drivers from Windows Update, and I was connected to my WPA network in minutes. Never needed the MSI installation disk or the drivers I'd downloaded.

Card itself works find, excellent signal strength. The little antenna is fine, although I may wind up velco-ing it to the case.