Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for R. Liberal > Reviews

Browse

R. Liberal's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Liberal "tuuky" RSS Feed (Layton, Ut United States)

Page: 1 | 2
The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One
The Name of the Wind: The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Savory, April 28, 2015
I'm beginning to see I don't speak any languages in any meaningful way. Rothfuss has a way with words the way a glass blower shapes a smoldering blob into something delicate and beautiful.

Hounded (with two bonus short stories): The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Hounded (with two bonus short stories): The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sweet Treat for my non-native English, March 16, 2015
This is my first foray into the urban fantasy genre (I refuse to read the sparkly vampire trash. sorry.) and I absolutely loved it.
Hearne writes the tale of a modern day druid who's been around longer than most other supernatural beings and is trying to live a somewhat normal life in Tempe, Arizona, along with his loquacious wolfhound. That is until trouble comes looking for him in the form of a pissed-off god and its minions. Hearne's command of the language and subtle, natural humor makes this a deliciously smooth read. I really enjoyed the many references to Irish folklore and beliefs which were introduced in very creative vocabulary (in a very non-condescending manner) and continually relevant to the story. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is due to the antagonist feeling a bit flat. Hearne talks plenty about his personality, but the character isn't given much of a chance to shine, in my opinion. This is a minor point, though, and didn't ruin anything for me.

Xbox DVD Movie Playback Kit
Xbox DVD Movie Playback Kit
Offered by WHOLESALE OUTLET
Price: $14.99
22 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice XBMC addition, October 21, 2011
I use this with my modded Xbox with XBMC.
It works great!
I was a little disappointed that it didn't have a volume button, but it wouldn't have prevented me from ordering.

Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
by Jeff LaMarche
Price: $7.30
157 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Please and Thank You to Mark and LaMarche, I'm on my way!, August 25, 2010
I'm almost through this book (update for SDK 3) and I'm loving it. It is such a contrast to the iPhone Programming: Big Nerd Ranch Guide. While the content in both books tackle most of what you'd want to know to start developing your apps, Mark and LaMarche's book is just a whole class above in organization, clarity of explanations, and attention to detail both in code and guiding you through it.

One of the main things that helped me was the consistent organization of methods in the class by use of #pragmas, keeping your protocol methods together helped me become familiar very quickly with what I needed to do, eventually without having to look at the code in the book anymore.

For example, chapter 9 tackles dealing with Navigation Controllers; every example Mark begins coding your IBAction methods first, then your UIView methods, Table Data Source Methods, Table Delegate Methods, so on and so forth. By the end of the chapter you know exactly what to do for every view you build.

The language is clear and written in a friendly tone, without distracting from the main content.

If you're new to Objective-C/iPhone Development, you can't go wrong with this one.

iPhone Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
iPhone Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
by Aaron Hillegass
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginners must buy and read and code, code, code!!!!, August 8, 2010
I picked this up as my first iPhone (Apple) Development book and I was able to get through it in less than a week (working only nights). It's a very easy, straight-to-the-point read and the samples are simple and really drive home the basics. After reading this book, you will want to delve into Apple's documentation more heavily before you start building apps or maybe pick up a more advance book, but this is a great start nonetheless.

I'm currently reading LaMarche's Beginning iPhone 3 Development and I can already tell in chapter 4 that it'll take me a while to get through this book. I enjoy it so far, but it's just a little more dragged out that BNRG's book.

Also, Hillegass is a bit of a purist, setting up non-templated projects and doing a lot of coding, almost avoiding Interface Builder, so you'll get to see how things really work and connect in MVC in Cocoa Touch. I think that's a great approach to teaching. After you learn the inner-workings of a programming language, you will be more comfortable using templates and code gens, then tweaking your code to make things work properly.

Bottom line, as a beginner, you can't go wrong with this book.

Cheers.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2011 4:30 PM PDT

ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for iPod touch 2G, 3G (Full Body)
ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for iPod touch 2G, 3G (Full Body)

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience is the key, February 17, 2010
I was a little hesitant before purchasing this product based on all the reviews complaining about installation nightmares.
But after speaking to a couple of friends who have used it on their iPhones and iPod Touches and receiving great feedback from them, I couldn't be happier to have ordered it.

To prevent any surprises during installation, I read the instructions and watched a few videos on the web. I also got a few tips from my friends.
Then I did what others have said: cleared an area free of dirt and went to work with clean hands.
After about 15 to 20 minutes, I had both sides of my new iPod Touch 3G covered and bubble free.

Here are some tips I learned:

1. The most obvious one is to do the front cover first. That way you're not getting smudges and fingerprints on the screen while doing the back.

2. If the shield keeps moving on you while you're smoothing it out with the card, just be patient and continue adjusting it and smoothing it out. As it dries, it'll start to stick to your screen and you'll be able to make minor adjustments in alignment.

3. When doing the back, the edges will stick out after your first apply it. Don't rush. Work each edge by applying pressure and smoothing it out with your fingers ONE AT A TIME. Again, as it dries, it'll all fall into place as you gently smooth it out.

4. Even after 30 minutes, I could go back and still make small fixes to the edges (lifted edges or corner bubbles) and they would eventually fall into place and stick as I applied pressure.

5. Lastly, if you find the installation might not be something you can tackle, there are places (in a mall near you) where they will install it for you for a fee.

The screen looks very clear with the shield on and I hope it helps me save my iPod from my kids' grubby hands (unlike my laptop).
I feel this product may have got a few poor reviews only based on the installation issues some may have encountered, but I believe the product itself is definitely worth the money.

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless a/b/g Network Adapter
Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless a/b/g Network Adapter
44 used & new from $32.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm gaming now!, November 21, 2007
After talking to a few friends who are addicted to Live, I finally decided to buy this wireless card and give network gaming a try.
So far, so good.

My wireless router sits exactly downstairs from my 360 and I have not had any issues with connectivity nor speed.

Live is great so far and it added a whole new level of gaming for my son, who's 4. While there are not many titles for his age group on this platform, I can download plenty of games for him through Live and even the demos are entertaining enough for him.

I'm looking forward to setting up streaming video from my XP with the help of the Zune software for Windows.

Overall, great product. I was shy of 5 stars based solely on the cost.

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $19.96
230 used & new from $0.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Altair is not the man he seems to be., November 16, 2007
This review is from: Assassin's Creed (Video Game)
Echoing the sentiment of other reviewers, I was also concerned about the professional reviews concerning this game, having anticipated it for so long. My fears were eased, however, right after I popped the disk in.

Pro's:
Again, as it's been said here, I really enjoyed the flow of the character and the freedom this game gives you. It's a perfect blend of an open world without leaving you lost to figuring out where to go next.
The learning curve is high, but the game slowly introduces you to new moves within each mission, which are enough to complete them, but leaves room for improvement as you become more proficient.

The story line is good and I didn't mind so much the sci-fi twist about which most are complaining. It's a good break from the intensity of the game and it adds a personal connection to the ancient character through his descendant in the present.

The game saves are excellent. For the most part you won't find yourself having to redo several missions in the event that you die. There are plenty of checkpoints throughout the game to keep the game flowing and non-repetitive.

Lastly, the world Ubi has created in this game is simply phenomenal! Hats off to the design team. The amount of detail is just outstanding on each street, building, market, character, and everything else you'll find in this game.

Cons:
The idea of accomplishing side missions add a greater dimension to the game, but, unfortunately, they get repetitive pretty quickly.
Some of the things you can do are eavesdrop, pickpocket, or save a person from being harassed by the local guards (there are others), but once you get the hang of each one, they're pretty much the same thereafter.

The fight sequences are fun and can be tense enough, but similarly lack a bit of diversity. I hope they get a little more challenging and technical as I acquire new weapons and progress in the game.

Now, to explain the title of my review (this is not a con, just an observation), I was a bit surprised with the main character Altair.
I got a feel from the previews, for some reason, that I would be dealing with a cool and calculated assassin who kills to rid the world in which he lives of evil people (a little theatrical, I know). However, my first impression was of a reckless, spoiled, somewhat-messed-up-in-the-head newbie killer who let his skills go to his head and now is forced to redeem himself.

Overall, I really enjoy playing this game and hope Ubi continues to produce other titles using this engine and creating such wonderful virtual worlds.

Ratatouille - Xbox 360
Ratatouille - Xbox 360
Offered by Purpose Driven Creations, .llc
Price: $44.97
40 used & new from $5.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes easy, sometimes challenging!, September 13, 2007
I rented this game for my 4-year-old son. He was able to play through the first level, which is basically the tutorial, with ease, but once you pass that, the game becomes somewhat complicated with a huge playing field and tons of challenging mini-games. The flow is a bit hard to follow and certain sections I just could not figure out where to go (remember, this was a rental).
The graphics are very good, too. I'll probably buy this game for him (and myself).

The Secret (Extended Edition)
The Secret (Extended Edition)
DVD ~ Rhonda Byrne
Offered by Beyond Words Publishing
Price: $6.98
211 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I finally GOT what The Secret is all about..., August 27, 2007
Make a movie about positive thinking, add some ridiculous pseudo-science wrapped in fancy words like "Law of Attraction," "Quantum," and "Energy," sprinkle some Have-Been or Never-Have-Been celebrities and "experts," and sell it for $30.00. THEN MAKE A PART-2 and sell THAT for another small amount of money that most gullible people can afford.

All you need now is Oprah to talk about it in her show and VOILA!
Instant millionaires!