Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 73

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "Mary" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Hollywood Station: A Novel
Hollywood Station: A Novel
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, October 10, 2010
I agree with another reviewer that this novel is very funny and very warm; it was a great read. I particularly enjoyed the vignettes of officers and officer-partners and the great way it all came together in the end. Wambaugh created wonderful, human characters...everyday people that have become greatly affected by their job, a tough job. I live just "over the hill" within three miles from the Hollywood locales he writes of; it is very true to life.

Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder)
Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, September 16, 2010
I expected a good, casual murder mystery but this was fantastic; I downloaded it to my phone so I could take it everywhere and finished it off in just a few days. I even considered staying home from work one day just to read but read at lunch instead. Excellent characters and character studies.

Knights Templar Encyclopedia
Knights Templar Encyclopedia
by Karen Ralls
Price: $13.80
50 used & new from $3.14

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive but Disappointing, September 4, 2010
I like the author and have heard her speak on several TV shows which is why I ordered this book. While the book covers a lot of territory (hence the three stars) it is poorly written, excessively repetitive and so full of odd and/or incorrect grammar that I became, in the end, disappointed. It had so much potential and would have been wonderful if well done; it's a shame.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2013 5:59 AM PDT

Logitech MX 1100 Cordless Laser Mouse
Logitech MX 1100 Cordless Laser Mouse
Offered by Serendipity, Inc.
Price: $154.95
17 used & new from $49.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mouse I've Ever Used..., July 16, 2010
...and I've used just about every type over the past 20 years including a track ball mouse. It responds beautifully and feels great in the hand: it fully fills the hand meaning there is no stress from grasping it for long periods of time. The battery level still shows at maximum after nearly five months of use: I always turn it off when not in use or when I shut down the computer (the off/on switch is another great feature).

Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Art Theft Cases, July 11, 2010
This book gives a fascinating insight into one man's experience in the world of art theft criminals. While the stories of how things "went down" were in themselves page turners, I found even more interesting the insight into the motivations and machinations behind art heists. It truly is a page-turner.

One note: the print edition contains several pages of good color photos that include the author, his family, and some of the key players (including the criminals) mentioned in the book. This is always an invaluable aid for me when reading, just like a good map is when I read a travel narrative. However, the Kindle edition contains none of the photographs. This was a major disappointment. So when I finished the book I went to the bookstore to look at the color photos. I would like to see Kindle correct this flaw; I assume all Kindle editions lack the photos that may have been included in the printed book.

The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1,001 Nights: Volume 3 (Penguin Classics)
The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1,001 Nights: Volume 3 (Penguin Classics)
by Anonymous
Price: $15.93
65 used & new from $5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent New Translation, July 4, 2010
I have purchased all three volumes of which this is the third. Physically, they are beautifully executed: each volume is large and heavier than most paperbacks but the spine is strong and up to the task.

Volume three contains nights 719 to 1001. It has well-drawn Maps, a detailed Glossary and an Index of Nights and Stories for all three volumes, broken down by volume. Each volume has the same Maps and Glossary but only Volume 3 has the comprehensive Index for all three volumes (e.g., the Volume 1 Index only indexes the stories in Volume 1). Volume 1 has the additional Editorial Note, Note on the Translation, Translating Galland, and Further Reading. Volume 1 was clearly designed to be the beginning and Volume 3 the end. Each can be read separately but if you want 1001 nights of reading joy I recommend all three.

Over the years I have read many Nights in other translations. They were written in a style that suited the English language of the day which makes them somewhat tedious to read now. This translation has retained the spirit set in an English that is much more readable today; reading flows smoothly and is a joy.

Paula Deen Signature Teakettles 2-Quart Stainless Steel Classic Kettle with Copper Bottom

4.0 out of 5 stars Whistle Fell Out But Otherwise Fine, November 5, 2009
I enjoyed using this kettle but after four months the whistle insert fell out of the lid. It had apparently been glued or otherwise attached and could not be re-attached or snapped back in so I had to return the item. But it worked well otherwise and is a nice looking item. The only other "issue" is that I also warn users to be very careful when they open the spout to pour the water. No matter how careful you are a small drop or two of hot water will pop out and it burns! I became very proficient at opening it to avoid that. And if I didn't really need a whistle it would have been fine without one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2009 1:34 PM PST

Esther Ponce: Flamenco Dreams
Esther Ponce: Flamenco Dreams
DVD ~ Glenn Ford
Price: $13.00
9 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Moody, September 7, 2008
I first saw this on a local PBS station and loved it. The way it is filmed enhances the storyline and creates an almost dreamlike experience. Note that Rita Hayworth and Glen Ford are NOT in this film; I don't know why Amazon insists on listing them as primary actors to the exclusion of all those who are primary.

Memories In Translation
Memories In Translation
by Denys Johnson-Davies
Price: $20.85
21 used & new from $14.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Read, May 18, 2008
This is a very interesting recounting of one man's journey through life as an Arabic to English translator during a very interesting time in history. The text is peppered throughout with the names of well known Arabic authors of the 20th Century and in the course of reading I learned about authors and works that I was previously unaware of which will lead to some great reading. There are many photos, taken by the author's wife, of the author with some of the great Arabic language writers mentioned in the book.

The Watch Gods
The Watch Gods
by Barbara Wood
18 used & new from $1.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Thriller, April 27, 2008
This review is from: The Watch Gods (Paperback)
This is a republication of a book originally published in 1981 which is when I read it; it kept me riveted. I loaned it to a professional Egyptologist who was on his way to Egypt to work. When he returned to the US and returned the book he told me he kept him on the edge of his tent and that it was the perfect read while he was there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8