Profile for Bob Tobias > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob Tobias "Robert Tobias" RSS Feed (Arlington, VA USA)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
TEKTON 28301 Everybit Tech Rescue Kit for Electronics, Phones and Precision Devices, 45 Piece
Price: $24.99
5 used & new from $21.74

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable value... easily worth much more than the price, May 7, 2015
Length:: 4:09 Mins

I have previously bought a couple things that are included in this set. By themselves they cost $20 and I was glad to have them.

Here you get a boatload of tools, all well made, organized in a convenient carrying case.

This kit will pay for itself the first time you change a screen or battery. Also, doing something like that with these quality tools will make it that much easier.

Magnesium Fire Starter
Magnesium Fire Starter
Price: $3.75
49 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars You could die cold and exhausted, May 7, 2015
I've used a number of different fire starters over the years. This one does not work. The magnisium is very difficult to scrape off (compared to the others I've used). The real problem is it won't ignite. Not with sparks from its flint, not with a match, not with magnesium scraped from other (working) fire starters piled right next to it.

I won't bother describing the pathetic striker. If you're in a place where you need a firestarter and have one on hand (hopefully NOT this one) then you'll probably have a knife as well.

There were plenty of 5-star reviews. In fact, if you look at them sorted by "Most Recent" it seems to get two or three every day... all looking very similar.

However, I'm not one to judge and assume the one I got was defective and yours will live up to the standards of all the people who were thrilled with theirs. However, you may want to test it before you need to use it.

Breville BBL910XL Boss Easy to Use Superblender, Silver
Breville BBL910XL Boss Easy to Use Superblender, Silver
Offered by Concept Kitchen
Price: $399.95
23 used & new from $375.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I have owned a couple other "Super Blenders" and this one is by far the most impressive., May 6, 2015
Length:: 0:46 Mins

What impresses me may not be what's right for you. It depends on what you want. This blender is big. This blender is heavy (massive). This blender is powerful AND loud. You also don't want any pieces of paper sitting to its right because there's a pretty strong air flow coming from the motor cooling fan. The first time I used it my Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie recipe got blown halfway across the kitchen and into the sink.

If you want something that's a bit more refined, delicate, genteel then perhaps consider the Blendtec Designer Series Blender. It does everything this blender does and possibly a tad more (and it costs a bunch more too).

However, if you can overlook (or perhaps if you prefer) the commercial look, feel, design, and durability of the Breville Boss and appreciate its sophisticated features then this is an appliance that will be with you for a long time. And, while I realize some consider it unseemly to compare products, from just their ability to make smoothies the Breville does a more thorough job than my Blendtec. It may have something to do with having two different sets of blades with different edges or maybe the programming is better, I just know I get smoother smoothies from the Boss. It also has separate programs for regular and "green" smoothies. I can see the timing is different between them and suspect it has to do with breaking up the veggies in an effective way. The manual says it's to reduce the heat generated during the smoothieization. For me it means my Kale is blended along with everything else.

In addition to this great blender and the obligatory and in this case very nice recipe book you get access to a pretty impressive "Cookbook" application. My experience is that apps that come free with something are worthless. That is NOT the case here. They claim it's worth $80 and that may not be far off from the value it can provide.

It runs on a PC or Mac (in French or English) and serves up recipes from all over the place. It takes feeds from common cooking sites, as well as blogs you specify. You can even take a picture of an printed recipe and it will OCR it for you. There is, of course, a mobile version and it keeps everything in sync for you using something called a cloud.

Black & Decker CTO6335S Stainless Steel Countertop Convection Oven, Silver
Black & Decker CTO6335S Stainless Steel Countertop Convection Oven, Silver
Price: $63.99
41 used & new from $54.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Compared to the Black & Decker mechanical 8-Slice Extra Wide Toaster Oven... Spoiler Alert... I like this one a lot better, May 6, 2015
I got this to replace my aging Black & Decker TO3250XSB 8-Slice Extra Wide Toaster Oven.

This one is better. Here's why:

- It heats more evenly, precisely, and thoroughly. For example, I push the button marked "Toast" and when it beeps I have perfectly done toast.

- It's roomier and can handle more food at one time.

- The window is larger and I can see "what's cooking" better.

There were some issues brought up by other reviewers that almost convinced me to avoid this toaster oven:

- "It gets hot" That is certainly true and I would be upset if it didn't. I think some spots on the outside do get hotter than those spots on the outside of my previous oven. However, from what I can tell it might be he result of substantially thinner walls to accommodate larger pans. Since I avoided touching the sides of even the previous toaster oven, something I learned as a small child, I prefer the convenience of the larger cooking capacity.

- "The door opens all the way." It absolutely does. However, if you have 6" of counter space in front of the oven then the door will open with the handle resting conveniently on that counter. For me that works out very nicely.

One other nifty feature is that the programmed buttons are easily re-programmable. For example, out of the box, pushing the button marked "Pizza" heats the oven to 400 degrees and then runs for 20 minutes. That's probably because to the folks at B&D "Pizza" means cooking one that came out of the freezer uncooked. I prefer a more natural approach. To me, "Pizza" means reheating the pie that was delivered last night. For that I want 400 degrees for six minutes. No problem I press "Pizza" and before I hit "Start" I reduce the time to six minutes. The oven remembers that and will do Pizza my way and the way of my Midwestern forefathers from then on. (My foremother didn't care for pizza all that much.)

Olympia Tools 39-118 Power Grip Bolt Cutter, 18-Inch
Olympia Tools 39-118 Power Grip Bolt Cutter, 18-Inch
Price: $34.97
2 used & new from $33.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly well engineered and easy to use., May 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These bolt cutters weigh less than four pounds. When folded they take up only 6x12x1, That's about the size of "much smaller than any 18" bolt cutter should be. It also means you can fit it in a reasonably sized toolbox or drawer. It opens with a wrist flick and stays open until you release the two red latches. Those latches, by the way, don't bear any load while you're closing the jaws.

It cuts through padlock like a hot knife through butter (as they say). I was going to use it and get into my neighbor's tool shed to retrieve my old bolt cutter and now I don't have to.

One handy addition is a way to keep the jaws closed when folded. I use a wide rubber band I made from slicing off a piece from a 3" diameter inner tube. (I'll bet somebody could make a lot of money selling those.) Any large rubber band will do.

[Newest Version 3.0 - No Flash] Tronfy® "iWork" Mini4.0 Minimal Sheltered Wireless Bluetooth V4.0 In Ear Earbud/Earpiece Earphone Headphone Headset w/Mic Support Stream Music/Video/Audio For iPhone 6,6 Plus,5,5S,5C,iPad,iPod, MacBook Air,Sumsung Galaxy S5,S4,Note,HTC One(M8),Most Bluetooth Enable Device- Apple Andriod Smartphone,Cell Phone, Laptop,Tablet,PSP (Black)
Offered by TecKlife
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bluetooth headset is designed to be used on one of two ways and I very much prefer the (secret) third way., May 5, 2015
The main earpiece contains the battery and all the electronics. You can use it as a Bluetooth headset. The problem is, even though it's mini, it is still a bit large for some.

There is also a smaller earpiece you can connect to the main one to make it into a stereo headset. The sound isn't bad and not great either. There are much better sounding and more comfortable stereo headsets to be had. However, none I've found can match this headset for convenience, versatility, or stealthiness.

I use it a third way. I put the smaller earpiece in my left ear. In addition to being tiny it weighs next to nothing and thanks to the wide assortment of ear gels stays firmly attached without needing a hook. I drop the main earpiece in my shirt pocket.

Now I don't need to go poking at my ear for the controls, they are separate. The microphone is surprisingly good and I can make calls as is. If it's a bad connection I can easily retrieve the main earpiece (which has the microphone) and hold it close to my mouth. I haven't had to do that yet but I can if I need to.

Used this way it's a great way to listen to audio (with one ear) and not "shout" that I'm wearing a headset. And that's in addition to using it as a very nice Bluetooth headset. I've been keeping this at my desk and there's the added benefit that when I go home for the evening the Mini4.0 turns off after ten minutes of inactivity preserving its battery.

The manufacturer provided this headset for my evaluation without further obligation. I'm glad they did because while it's not a stellar headset for listening to music, it affords me with a convenient backup headset I can keep at work. For the cost, it is should get "misplaced" I'll buy another without a second thought.

Furniture Treatment No. 5 | Natural Leather Conditioner and Cleaner | 8 oz
Furniture Treatment No. 5 | Natural Leather Conditioner and Cleaner | 8 oz
Offered by Chamberlain's Leather Milk
Price: $21.99
2 used & new from $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It made my old leather covered desk chair look better and it's stayed looking better too., May 3, 2015
I used this on my old desk chair a few weeks ago. It was easy to apply with the included buffer/applicator pad. Unlike other leather treatment product I've tried this one didn't have any noticeable smell and did not leave an oily residue. The result was that the leather looked newer and felt a bit softer.

So far, the effects seem to have some staying power. The chair still looks and feels better than before I treated it.

DE Tempered Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6 Plus (In Packaging)
DE Tempered Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6 Plus (In Packaging)
Offered by Filltech
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This screen protector installs as easily and works as well as any flat, tempered glass screen protector I've used, May 3, 2015
I remember the olden days, back when I was a boy, when we had those old fashioned flexible plastic screen protectors. You had to roll them on so carefully to avoid air bubbles and then press them down with the edge of a credit card to smooth them out.

Nowadays we have tempered glass screen protectors that practically install themselves. After cleaning the screen to remove any dust you just set the screen protector in place and you're done. That's pretty much how it went with this one...

Except for the cleaning part...

I followed the enclosed directions first cleaning the screen with then enclosed alcohol pad and then removing "any dust, moisture, or debri" with the included microfiber cloth. And that's where I ran into a small problem. It seems the included microfiber cloth left behind more "debri" than it picked up. I solved the problem with my Giottos Rocket Air Blaster Air Blower.

If you plan on using this otherwise fine product please don't use the included cloth and make sure you have some way to effectively remove any dust on hand before applying it.

Crosman Stinger P311 Airsoft Pistol (Black)
Crosman Stinger P311 Airsoft Pistol (Black)
Price: $14.96

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a great gun but THIS one isn't... please read..., May 3, 2015
The Crosman P311 is tons of fun. Accurate and easy to use. If you want an airsoft gun you won't go wrong getting the P311. Just don't get THIS one.

A much better value is the Crosman Airsoft Stinger Challenge Kit. For $5 more you get a "sticky target" worth $15 PLUS a second P311 which according to this listing is also worth $15.

A couple more thoughts...

The hardest part of using the 311 is loading it. A MetalTac Airsoft Speed Loader really makes the overall experience more enjoyable. And again, thinking value, with the Two Pack of MetalTac Airsoft Speed Loader I got a second one for only fifty cents.

If you want accuracy past 15' consider Crosman 6mm biodegradable airsoft BBs, 0.20g.

12 Gauge Shotgun Shell Magnets in Brass - Set of 5
12 Gauge Shotgun Shell Magnets in Brass - Set of 5
Offered by Cobrabraid
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting departure from your standard fridge magnet, May 2, 2015
The brass is clean and highly polished. Each one has a struck primer and are marked Winchester 12 GA AA-HS. That last part explains why these wound up as fridge magnets and I guess it can be called progress. But, I digress...

The magnets are pretty strong. Any one of them will keep eight sheets of 24 lb paper stuck to the side of my file cabinet just fine.

As an added touch, they arrive in a hang-tag package that I would fully expect to see in my local gun store. (Perhaps that's because it's one of the places these are being sold?) Anyway, it's a way to "butch up" your office or kitchen or give a a gift to someone who could use a little butching.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20