Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Bob Tobias > Reviews

Browse

Bob Tobias' Profile

Customer Reviews: 2411
Top Reviewer Ranking: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob Tobias "Robert Tobias" RSS Feed (Arlington, VA USA)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Photoolex M800N 1/8000s Flash Speedlite i-TTL / TTL Speedlight for Nikon D7200 D7100 D7000 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3000 D3100 D300 D300S D700 D600 and Other Nikon DSLR Cameras
Offered by imuto
Price: $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly well built, high performing flash, June 20, 2016
╚═══════════

This flash seems every bit as capable as my SB-800, for a fraction of the price.

▲ The menus are better organized and easier to access, compared to my SB-800

▲ On my D-90 the flash can sync to 1/4000 of a sec.

▲ The flash is powerful and lives up to its "guide number"

▲ It can tilt 7º downward. That can be handy when shooting into an umbrella or lighting something very close to the lens

▲ Coupled with some low-cost iTTL triggers I can have full control of everything without moving from my camera

▲ It has a very durable feel

▲ It includes sockets for a PC sync cable and external battery

▲ It cycles in under a second

▲ It has a slide power switch (I really hate pushbutton power switches on flashes because they take longer to operate) and powers on in about a second.

╚════════

▼ It's about 2 oz heavier and 1" longer than my SB-800 (It's a small price to pay to save $100's on each iTTL flash)

▼ It doesn't come with a Stofen-style diffuser. That's OK because I *really* prefer the Lumiquest Promax System which for some reason is being offer for under $20, instead of for more than $50 (which is what I paid for mine and I just ordered a spare).

╚═══════════

I've compared this flash, as I do any iTTL flash I review, to my SB-800. Even if you don't believe it is the best off camera flash ever made, it certainly is among them. This flash provides a better value to anyone needing iTTL capability. In fact, this is a great option to get full iTTL control of off camera flash for little more than the cost of a "dumb" strobe.

Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
by Tahl Raz
Price: $17.73
56 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. These are the methods that are used when lives are on the line., June 18, 2016
I read this book and realized immediately what tremendous value it provided. However, it wasn't until today, when I heard a related podcast, that I understood how I wanted to convey that value.

The podcast was delivered by a self-promoting, hipster "negotiating expert" who offered seminars costing thousands of dollars. While I'm not suggesting his advice, which included how to lower your cable bill by several dollars each month or that making up your history in a job interview was a good thing. It only amplified what I realized in reading the book, that much of the information is provided by people who have stumbled onto a few good ideas, gotten lucky, or draw on some talent unique to them which may not effectively transfer to others.

The tactics taught in "Never Split the Difference" have been applied successfully and repeatedly in situations where lives are on the line and frequently under the unforgiving eye of the press and the Internet. You learn from someone who has walked the walk, successfully, many times over.

My favorite "technique" is the Ninja mind trick to develop rapport. I've known about that since taking some classes from Tony Robbins and the technique was never laid out as clearly as it was in this book. And the funny thing is, once you read that chapter​, you find yourself doing it reflexively. That alone can be worth the price of the book.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Natural Mosquito Repellent Bracelet - Deet Free, Non-Toxic Band With Potent Geraniol Mosquito Repelling Blend - Indoor & Outdoor Use, Hiking, Camping - Safe For Kids & Babies - Bite Free (Blue) (6PK)
Offered by Zentone Knife Bar
Price: $19.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems more effective than sprays or lotions (especially of you don't use sprays or lotions because you don't like them), June 18, 2016
I've never like using sprays or lotions. They always seemed messy and I didn't like the thought of their chemicals getting on my hands and from there on or in anything I touched.

You get eight bracelets in a rugged zip-lock-style bag. Each is about 1/2" wide and 1/8" thick and made out of a material that is a cross between paper, cloth, and neoprene. Whatever it is, it is light enough to go unnoticed and strong enough to stay attched.

One of the bracelets fit my 8" wrist and snapped together in the next to the last hole. It could easily accommodate a wrist 1/2" larger than mine. Once attached I it remained securely attached and I didn't *feel* it for the rest of the time I was wearing it.

HOWEVER, I did smell it. Unlike other reviewers, the smell was quite noticeable and not at all pleasant. In fact, it gave me a slight headache and seemed to leave a funny taste in my mouth.

HOWEVER, I was much better off than the other people in my group, taking photographs in the same field, who started their day flailing at the air (as if to wave away swarms of insects) and finished it by scratching their arms, legs, faces, and necks.

I'll take the mild headache and funny taste any day.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

16GB Fleemy Digital Voice Activated Recorder MP3 Player Dictaphone Dual Microphone HD recording with Premium Metal Case Rechargeable for Hi Fi Music(Black)
Offered by FLEEMY
Price: $54.99
2 used & new from $54.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A while built recorder with some very nicely designed features, June 17, 2016
╚═══════════

The thing that stood out for me was the overall feeling of quality. This recorder weighs 3¼ ounces. That's not a lot if your Arnold Schwarzenegger or even a normal person. However, if you're a compact digital recorder. that's pretty hefty.

╚════════

▲ Great sound quality, even with the built-in microphones. Just remember to use the menus (good luck with that) to find the Denoise setting and change it from "None" to "II" (that's two in roman numerals).

▲ It's easy to charge and transfer files (at the same time) by connecting it to a computer using the included USB cable (or any other which you have on hand).

▲ It includes a handy tap to record directly off a corded phone. (Getting harder and harder to find...)

▲ There are tons of features. One I like the best is that during playback, two button presses can mark the start and end of a segment to be repeated. It keeps repeating until you press the button a third time and then it resumes normal playback. This is great for learning lines or trying to decipher parts of a less-than-perfect recording.

╚════════

▼ The menu's are not the most intuitive I've seen.

▼ There is a six-second lag between pressing record and when recording actually starts.

▼ It's missing my favorite feature... the ability to program in a start record and end record time and have the device start and stop recording automatically. (This didn't affect the rating and I'm only venting.)

╚═══════════

Between the outstanding sound (once you find and correct the denoise setting, overall build quality, and easy loop playback function, this is a great choice for a digital recorder. I have come to accept the quirky menus and realize that once things are set up the way I like then, I won't be using them again anytime soon.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

CNBEYOUNG Electronics Bags, Basics Double Layer Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories, High Quality & Good Looking(EO-KHAKI)
Offered by CNBEYOUNG
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of options with no frills., June 17, 2016
Length:: 1:54 Mins

╚═══════════

This is a simple, no frills pouch that can hold essentials close at hand. I use this type of bag for the things I need when I'm at my seat on a plane. Things like headphones, extra cables, an external battery pack, and some power bars. This is large enough to hold those things in a conveniently compact package.

╚════════

▲The green version, in particular, is highly visible. Nothing gets hidden inside. Further, it's difficult to overlook and leave behind.

▲The zippers operate smoothly.

▲There's plenty of space for larger things and different sized compartments for smaller items.

▼ Nothing so far.

╚═══════════

You could do a lot worse when choosing an "at your seat" bag.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

for Apple Pencil, Wacom Creative Stylus 2 , Executive Fountain Pen, Ballpoint Pen, Stylus Touch Pen etc Zipper Closure Hard Shell Stylus Pen Pencil Carrying Storage Holder EVA Case by Lanshowed
Offered by Lanshowed
Price: $7.90
2 used & new from $7.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of value for not much money, June 17, 2016
Length:: 1:03 Mins

╚═══════════

For not much money this allows me to organize and protect my fountain pens and other writing implements. (I have several that are a bit more worthy of protection than what is shown in the video.)

╚════════

▲ The case looks like it's made of leather.

▲ The case is actually made of EVA which is tougher (and less expensive) than lether.

▲ The zipper works smoothly.

▲ The case can hold several pens or similar things and doesn't require pocket clips to keep them in place.

▲ The case looks "professional."

╚════════

▼ Nothing I've experienced so far.

╚═══════════

If you travel with expensive pens or a Wacom tablet or just a bunch of sketching pencils, this is an inexpensive way to keep things organized and protected.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

A-Parts New Mini RC I - Spy Tank Car Video Camera 777-270 WiFi Remote Control By Iphone Android White 0.3MP Photo RC Car White
Offered by Toonol
Price: $65.00
2 used & new from $63.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and/or challenging, June 16, 2016
To be clear, this is ONLY controllable from an apple or android device. To make it work you:

► Download and install the free app, "i-spy mini."

► Charge the tank from any USB power source using the included cable

► Turn on the tank

► Connect to the tank's WiFi network. For my tank, the network was named H12345. For all of them, the password is 00000000.

► Start the app

► Enjoy! ☺

Pros:

▲ What the tank sees, you see.

▲ You can steer using either the on-screen "levers" or by tilting your device.

▲ You can take snapshots or videos while the tank is running

Cons:

▼ The tank uses a proprietary charging cable. It is standard USB on one end and a barrel connector on the other.

▼ It is bit noisy. Not so noisy that you will annoy anyone but noisy enough that you can forget about sneaking up on anyone.

In my opinion, this tank is a lot more fun than drones or "normal" RC cars. It lends itself to lots of interesting challenges like guiding it through a maze (made from stacks of books for example) or chasing the dog around, while sitting in a different room and guiding the tank with its onboard camera.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Minimalist Bar Urn Pendant Memorial - Ashes Keepsake Exquisite Cremation Jewelry by RICHKING
Offered by RICHKING
Price: $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, June 16, 2016
I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. And, honestly, the only reason I wanted to review it was so I could use "Keep your friends... " in the title.

However, after seeing some of the other reviews and receiving one of these for my own, There are a few things I would like to add:

Pros:

▲ There is NO engraving on the back. It's a smooth, shiny tube with a small "stone that isn't a diamond" at the bottom.

▲ There IS a gasket, possibly silicon, where the top screws on. That can help keep moisture out and your cremains fresh.

Cons:

▼ The "stone that isn't a diamond" is referred to in the listing as a rhinestone and a CZ. They are very different. And it doesn't matter because...

▼ As minimalist as this thing is, I think it would be even better without the stone.

In my opinion, this necklace and pendant provide an understated way to carry the remains of someone you want to keep close.

Adonit Pixel Pressure Sensitive iPad Stylus, Black (ADPBL)
Adonit Pixel Pressure Sensitive iPad Stylus, Black (ADPBL)
Offered by Adonit USA
Price: $79.99
12 used & new from $63.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be good if you don't mind really subtle pressure sensitivity., June 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros:

▲ Has some "weight" to it and is well balanced

▲ Slides easily and effortlessly over my iPad screen

▲ Works as a "regular" stylus with any app

▲ Connected immediately (via Bluetooth) to my GoodNotes app to access additional capabilities such as pressure sensitivity

Cons:

▼ There isn't a lot of difference in results between almost no pressure and a lot of pressure

▼ The pen is round. Round things roll. Round things drop to the bottom of, or worse out of pockets. I was able to bend one of the Faultless Pencil Clips I had on hand to fit the pen barrel and that resolved both problems. For the cost of this pen I would expect something like this to be included.

▼ You charge the pen with a funky thumb drive-looking device. You plug it into a USB port and the pen snaps onto it (using magnets). That leaves you with the pen pointing in what might be an inconvenient angle that blocks other things. The good new is the magnet is strong enough to keep the pen attached regardless of the direction it's pointing. The bad news is if you lose the funky thumb drive-looking device or simply leave it someplace you're not then you are out of luck when the pen runs out of juice.

In my opinion, this is a well built and well-intentioned product. It's a great stylus and you may be disappointed if you are used to using other pressure sensitive devices. The gradations in shading available from various amounts of pressure is not as pronounced as you might expect, certainly what I get on my Wacom tablets.

EASTSHINE Hero2 Nitecore SC2 Superb Charger 3A Quick Charge Bundle with EB182 Battery Organizer
Offered by EASTSHINE
Price: $99.95
2 used & new from $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding charger for larger or newer-type batteries, June 14, 2016
Length:: 3:09 Mins

I love this charger for its ability to handle larger size (C & D) NiMH cells along with those new fangled Li-ion and LiFePO4 batteries. It automatically figures out the correct voltage and charging rate for most batteries while allowing me to specify it for LiFePO4 cells.

As a convenience, it can also charge AA and AAA cells. However, if that's all you want then I suggest looking at something that is less expensive and will charge more of them.

The display provides a clear indication of the status, including the voltage and current, of anything being charged.

It automatically figures out if I put the battery in backwards or tried to charge something that isn't rechargeable. In either case, it flashes a warning and nothing, not the battery, the charger, or my house, is harmed.

It can run off the 12V supply in my car with an optional 12V plug and can even charge a USB device in place of one of the cells.

I received this charger at a reduced price and without further obligation. I didn't promise to provide a review and only committed that if I did, it would be my unbiased evaluation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20