Profile for Bob Tobias > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob Tobias "Robert Tobias" RSS Feed (Arlington, VA USA)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AT-A-GLANCE Planning Note Cards and Acrylic Tray, 4 x 6 Inch Cards, 72 Pack (YP210-28)
Price: $10.66

1.0 out of 5 stars What I received was next to worthless, December 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 0:49 Mins

The note cards do have a nifty copper edging that looks distinctive and feels a bit abrasive when you handle them. I don't know that I would call them note *cards* though since they are pretty thin. They feel more like 32lb note paper.

However, what for me really elevated this to new heights of garbage was the "modern acrylic tray". It's clear and it's plastic and it is thin. Less than 1/10" thin. It feels cheap and flimsy. And that is if you are looking at a part of it that isn't damaged. Mine came with a 3" crack along the bottom, a 2-1/2" crack along one of the edges, and one of the corners smashed.

When I first saw this my thought was that I could order some as a "classy" gift for coworkers. After having seen it, between the note paper and flimsy tray, I'm glad I didn't.

Marbulous Modular Marble Run w/82 Pieces Plus 50 Marbles Total of 132 Pieces - Made of Quality Child-Safe Plastic in Reusable Plastic Bucket
Offered by Number 1 In Service
Price: $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the Journey *and* the Destination, December 20, 2014
I wasn't sure about accepting this product when the manufacturer offered it to me for evaluation and, if I chose, an unbiased review. Thing is, I'm a grown up and my daughter is only six. How much fun could it be?

Turns out, it was, is, and for some time I expect will be lots of fun! The pieces are brightly colored and fit together easily. You get instructions for building contraptions of various complexity levels. Turns out, building them isn't just half the fun, it can be educational too.

The instructions are all pictures and it's possible for a preschooler to build even the most complex setup. That said, you only get one view of each structure and some thought needs to go into the more complex configurations.

My daughter was quick to correct my "mistakes" and it was fascinating to see her develop a methodology for putting the structures together. We eventually shifted from waterfall to agile though we never actually used that terminology.

Once the structures were built, we were able to have marble races. That opened the door to other questions like why the results were so consistent and how could we alter the course to change them.

All that aside, this is a huge set with lots of possibilities. Even though this set is compatible with other sets and "add-on packs", I don't expect we could exhaust what we have for some time.

HardNok 50W 6-Port Desktop USB Charging Station with Smart IC for Cell Phones, Tablets and Many Other Devices (White)
Offered by Endo-US
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for your desktop *and* travel too, December 19, 2014
This charger (and I'm sure others like it) have been a long time coming. There are a number of good ones available (I own many) but I have never seen one with this combination of features, let alone at a decent price.

Thing is, it works great as a travel charger. For the "travel" part it is light and small, just seven ounces and about the size of a deck of cards. (Part of my living comes for performing magic, it's what I know.) You plug it in with a detachable power cable. It comes with one that's four feet long. It can be replaced easily and longer cables are available. Right now the iMBAPrice® 10 Feet Long Power Cord for Samsung LED/LCD TV works well with this charger and is 2-1/2 times as long.

My recommendation, regardless of what charger you buy is that you really want a charger like this one with a separate power cord. The ones that plug directly into the wall do save can be a real pain otherwise. All our charging cables have to reach wherever you can plug in the charger and the charger will tend to fall from of the outlet due to the weight of everything.

However, the biggest feature of this charger (which I cleverly saved until the end) is the smart ports. What that means is you don't have ports labeled 1A and 2A or Phone and Tablet or other random names and numbers. On this charger they don't bother labeling the ports. They don't need to. all of the ports are equal, capable of providing full power to whatever device is plugged in, and will charge the attached device as quickly and the device can be charged. When I tested it, each port was able to provide over two amps at 5 volts simultaneously (and at the same time).

This has become my Office charger until my next trip when it get to join me.

My only issue with this is there are no "feet" to keep it from sliding around on my desk. It's so light that I don't think feet would help even if it had some. However, I was able to solve that easily enough with a pieces of VELCRO Brand - Sticky Back - 3 1/2" x 3/4" Strips, 4 Sets - Black cut in half. That's enough to keep it in place and still let me grab it for that trip I just mentioned.

The manufacturer provided the charger for me to test and use. After testing it and using it for a while, I'll recommend it to my friends and coworkers with confidence.

SYRINGES, 12 Pack, for epoxy and glues
SYRINGES, 12 Pack, for epoxy and glues
Offered by Atlantic Marine Depot
Price: $20.44
6 used & new from $14.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for epoxies (and other stuff) thick or thin, December 19, 2014
These syringes have a tapered tip. That's different from other disposable syringes that come with a tip which is the same size across all the way.

What that means is if I'm applying a thicker adhesive or would like to lay down a slightly larger bead all I have to do is snip a little bit off the tip. (The celebration is optional.)

Aside for that handy feature, the syringes are sturdy and the double gasket around the plunger means I can apply a lot of force and the contents will still go out the front instead of escaping out the back.

Electrohome EAKAR535 Portable Karaoke CD+G/MP3G Player Speaker System with 3.5" Screen, 2 Microphone Connections, and Smartphone, Tablets, MP3 Input
Offered by ShopTronics
Price: $149.98
4 used & new from $69.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Breed but watch the price, December 19, 2014
When I say Best of Breed I'm referring to the sub $100 standalone units. Compared to those this has great sound and plenty of it. (You can turn the volume up loud.) The problem is, the price was hovering around $100 and now it's 50% more.

Maybe it's supply and demand. Even at $150 it's not a bad value and it's a better value at the lower, more typical price.

If you have regular CDs, this unit will play them just fine. You won't see any lyrics but there is an adjustment to turn down any vocals to make it more of a karaoke experience. If you have special karaoke disks, they are in a very different format from either regular CDs or CDs where you've written MP3 files from your computer, you will see the lyrics along with hearing the music. And, more than just seeing the lyrics, you are prompted for the phrase you're supposed to be singing at any given moment.

Now, let's talk about other pluses and minuses...

The pluses:

- Great sound. I've already said that and it bears repeating.

- Good quality sound. Ditto. This is due, in part to the included microphone.

- A second input jack for a second microphone. I've had real good luck with the Behringer ULTRAVOICE XM1800S Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphones, 3-Pack. I know this is buying three and you'll want spares, especially if you are letting kids use this.

- Doesn't look like a toy. That makes it easier for us grownups to use it. (And trust me, you will.)

The minuses:

- It is difficult to select tracks. The buttons are small and it's tough moving through tracks one at a time.

- AC only. It would be nice to have an option for battery power.

As an aside, we have a "real" karaoke machine hooked up in our family room and find ourselves using this more.

207 BLX Series Retractable Gel Pens, Medium Point, Assorted Colored/Black Ink, Set of 5
Price: $11.12
9 used & new from $7.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Uniball 207 quality in several subtle shades, December 19, 2014
These new ink colors all come across as grayish.

The red looks like a red-ish grey. It has neither the boldness of a true black nor the vividness of a true red. The same holds true for the other colors.

If you are looking for something that will make your writing NOT stand out, and not stand out in several different shades then these may be just what you're looking for. And of course, you will have this with all the truly great Uniball 207 features like smooth writing, quick drying, and smear... not-ing.

However, if you are looking for something that stands out, is a bit out of the mainstream, and still plays in the office you should try Uni-Ball Signo 207 Retractable Gel Pen, Medium Point, Purple Ink, Pack of 6. That's what I have been and will continue to use for that purpose.

AUSDOM D2 Megapixel H.264 Home Security surveillance Camera HD 720P WiFi Wireless Pan&Tilt IP/Network Camera Baby Monitor with 2-Way Audio, Wide Viewing angle, Night Vision, Android IOS APP Remote Monitoring, motion sound detectors, Automatically alert (White)
Offered by GLOBALEBUY-US
Price: $94.95
10 used & new from $94.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant image, limited functionality, lousy software, December 18, 2014
The setup is fine for about five years ago except that back then it worked and made sense. Not so much here. You can use WPS if your router is so enabled and that might be OK. Or, you can use an Ethernet cable and that is problematic. You start by entering a username and password, your choices, to create an account with "Them", so far, so good. Now you click the "add a camera" button and scan the QIC code on the bottom of the camera to easily obtain the camera serial number. Then it asks you for the camera's serial number. That, my friends, is nowhere to be found.

Let me save you some time... Unplug the camera, hold down the WPS button, plug it back in, and wait for half a minute. Now the password is the default value of 888888. To repeat, you have set the password in the camera to the default value 888888.

I could have suggested simply entering the default password the first time. You can try that. I did. What happens is the software says, "Password Error" and registers the camera anyway. Now the jokes on you because there's no way (I can find) to correct the bad password and trying to re-add the camera gets an error that it already exists. The only solution is to delete the software from you phone and start over.

Now, assuming you do it the right way, you get past the point of entering the password and move on the the WiFi Setup portion of the evening. You get a list of available WiFi connections. In my case that list contained one network and it wasn't one of mine. Not to brag (because there's nothing to brag about) but I'm holding my iPhone next to the camera and can see six of my wireless networks in an array of speeds and encryption levels. No problem, all you do is go back from the WiFi setup screen and... that's the last time you get to see it, short of deleting the software and restarting.

And, if you ever should get the wireless connection established it is painfully slow.

But, the picture is crystal clear!

Now lets talk features. There pretty much aren't any. The iPhone app allows you to display the images from several of these cameras at the same time (as if buying one wasn't enough). You can open any one camera to full screen and pan/tilt by swiping your finger across the screen.

There's no way to set a pan/tilt pattern so the camera works as a sentry. There's no ability to set the camera to record or alert you when there's motion *or* sound, it's both and it's always on or always off. Many of these WiFi cameras allow you to set a schedule for when you want monitoring to be active.

There is no way to interface this camera to BlueIris, a very nice and reasonably priced camera aggregator. And the real fun is when you connect to the camera a while later and are greeted with the message, "Password Error." In case you haven't been listening (and I can't blame you if you haven't) that means you need to delete the app and start all over again.

I received this camera from the manufacturer to try and then share my opinions. I'm sure others have had better luck with it than I have. If you can get it working and aren't bothered by what it can't do then you'll have a nice camera. My sense, though, is if you're not up to the challenge then perhaps look elsewhere for a device and supporting software that stress ease of use in addition to picture quality.

iClever® 50W 10A 6-Port USB Desktop Travel Charger (Fast Charging Station) with SmartID™ Technology for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nexus, HTC, Nokia, Motorola
Offered by Hisgadget Inc
Price: $25.99
2 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the PERFECT TRAVEL CHARGER, December 17, 2014
First, sorry for shouting. It's just that this charger (and I'm sure others like it) have been a long time coming. There are a number of good ones available (I own many) but I have never seen one with this combination of features, let alone at a decent price.

For the "travel" part it is light and small, just six ounces and about the size of a deck of cards. (Part of my living comes for performing magic, it's what I know.) You plug it in with a detachable power cable. It comes with one that's four feet long. It can be replaced easily and longer cables are available. Right now the iMBAPrice® 10 Feet Long Power Cord for Samsung LED/LCD TV works well with this charger and is 2-1/2 times as long.

My recommendation, regardless of what charger you buy is that you really want a charger like this one with a separate power cord. The ones that plug directly into the wall do save you from having to carry the cord but can be a real pain otherwise. All your charging cables have to reach wherever you can plug in the charger and in older hotels, the charger will tend to fall from of the outlet due to the weight of everything.

However, the biggest feature of this charger (which I cleverly saved until the end) is the smart ports. What that means is you don't have ports labeled 1A and 2A or Phone and Tablet or other random names and numbers. Each port is labeled 5v/2.4A. (They didn't need to do that and were just showing off.) What it means is that all ports are equal, capable of providing full power to whatever device is plugged in, and will charge the attached device as quickly and the device can be charged. When I tested it, each port was able to provide over two amps at 5 volts simultaneously (and at the same time).

My last trip had a half-smart charger, two ports were smart and the other four were for phones and other electronics. Even with that level of flexibility there was still some cord juggling. Next trip I'm taking this with me because it doesn't get more convenient than any plug in any port.

In addition, until then I'll be using this as my office charger to get the same port flexibility benefits.

Aibocn® 15600mAh Power Bank Rapid Charging External Battery Pack Dual USB Port (2.1A + 1.0A) for iPhone 6 Plus 6 5S 5C 5 4S 4 iPad Air Mini iPod , Galaxy S5 S4 Galaxy Tab Galaxy Note , HTC One M8 Smartphone Tablet Bluetooth Speacker
Offered by AIBOCN
Price: $84.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice battery, great for long flights and layovers, December 17, 2014
A battery that can provide over 15,000 mAh (outside of advertizing circles many would call it 15 Ah which doesn't sound nearly as impressive) and weighs under 3/4 lb makes for a perfect traveling companion.

I like the leather-like textured plastic sides. It's not going to fool anybody but it looks good and doesn't attract fingerprints. It fits nicely in a coat pocket and would probably be more at home in a briefcase, backpack, or carryon bag.

There are two output ports and like many two-port batteries, either could supply 2.1 amps (sorry, 2,100 ma) when needed. The overload protection works as designed; neither port can supply more than 2.1 amps and the battery turns off when the current draw exceeds 3.1 amps.

Filling the battery can take a long time. If you want to blame something, don't blame the battery, blame arithmetic and chemistry. The flow rate into the battery is about 900ma... let's be generous and say 1,000ma. That means to fill a 15,600 mah battery you would need to supply 1,000 ma of current for 15.6 hours. For some that's a good night's sleep. I guess they could have designed the battery to draw more current when charging but then you have the risk of fire or an explosion which is usually considered a bad thing.

The good news is, you don't need to fill the battery to the top every time you want to use it. I've your flying across the country are you likely to have to refill your iPhone a half dozen times? Half the battery will fill an iPad Air about half way and that's enough to keep it going for quite a while. Regardless, the capacity is there if you want it and you don't always need it.

The manufacturer provided this battery for me to use and review. After having used it for a while I can, with confidence, recommend it to my friends (which I guess is what's happening right now).

Gonex Packable Handy Lightweight Travel Backpack Daypack with 8 color choices-Black
Offered by Nextrox Direct
Price: $13.98
2 used & new from $13.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect traveling companion, December 17, 2014
Firstly, there is no way I would consider using this as an everyday backpack. However, it's just the thing to take along on a trip for when you need it at your destination.

Folded it's about the size of a paperback book. A fairly large paperback book mind you but still compact for a backpack. Unfolded it has lots of capacity and multiple pockets to keep things separated. There are, in fact, five pockets; two mesh on either side for water, sunscreen, or anything you might not want to mix with other things. There are two small zippered compartments to hold cash, cameras, mp3 players (do people still use those?), sunglasses, etc. Finally, there's the huge main compartment that can easily hold a change of (light) clothes, a hat, maybe a towel, snacks, you get the idea. Bottom line is you have options and capacity at your fingertips from something that weighs next to nothing and doesn't take up a lot of space otherwise.

When you're done, you can either fold it back up (meaning stuff it back into one of the small pockets and zip it up or do what I do... I use it to carry my duty free purchases onto the plane. Or, as the listing suggests, use it in a pinch to carry-on your heaviest items (for the airlines that still aren't weighing carry-on bags).

Whatever you're carrying, it's made easy by the lightly padded and cloth lined adjustable shoulder straps. They'll do a little bit to ease the load and a lot to cut down on perspiration.

I received this backpack from the manufacturer to try and then share my opinions. That is probably the case for all the "Top Reviewer" submissions from around the time I'm posting this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20