Profile for Bob Tobias > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob Tobias "Robert Tobias" RSS Feed (Arlington, VA USA)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Waterproof Camera Float (2-pack) - Camera Strap for Your Underwater GoPro - Lumix - Nikon Canon PowerShot - Fujifilm Olympus Sony - Float the Case Around Your Wrist and Save Your Device from Sinking - 2 Year Warranty
Offered by RSL GROUP
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $11.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for this "next gen" camera float, August 21, 2014
There are two popular styles of floats available these days. There's the wide version, like the Pentax Optio Floating Wrist Strap, and the newer round version like the one being reviewed here.

They both provide about the same amount of buoyancy. The wide version has a lock you need to slide up to secure it around my wrist, this one is slightly elastic and does not need to be adjusted.

So, which is better? In my opinion the difference between the two styles is minimal. Further, there are lots of "different" versions in each style where the only difference is the name printed on them.

The real difference is price and the best, in this case, is the cheapest one where you can see that people have actually used it.

Compact 12000mAH Portable Car Jump Starter - Power Bank - Battery Booster - Built-in LED Flashlight - with Carry Case
Offered by New Brights
Price: $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential accessory for your car. But, does it really work?, August 20, 2014
Length:: 2:10 Mins

I've provided a video to show you exactly what you get and to answer the Big Question, does it really work.

I'll also answer that at the end of this written summary.

This is a handy device to always have in your car. If your battery dies it can get you going and also let you help out someone else without having to fumble with real jumper cables. Also, it can charge your electronics and is small enough to carry. Finally, it has a bright flashlight that will last a very long time. Arithmetic can be tricky business but I figure this will keep the light going in "SOS" mode for a couple weeks at least.

OK and now...

Spoiler Alert!

Last chance....

OK, I'll save you the two minutes by telling you that it does work. But the review might still be helpful to see some details about what is included.

Apple Certified KAENAA™ Lightning to USB Cable with 3-Port Car Charger for iPhone 5 / 5S, iPod touch, iPod nano, iPad and iPad mini, 5.1 AMP
Price: $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A great combination... They're even color coordinated!, August 20, 2014
Length:: 0:48 Mins

About the cable

Form:

- This looks classy. Well, as classy as a lightning cable can look.

- The gold tone sets it apart from other cables. I have white cables that have micro USB connectors and black ones that have lightening cables. Al least for now I know when I grab for the gold cable it will fit in my iPhone.

- Unlike other third party cables, the connector cover is sealed to the connector and does not come off, even when I tug on it real hard.

- I like the nylon braded cover. Again, it's a form thing and it looks nice.

Function:

- It works... It syncs my iPads and iPhones without the dreaded "this device isn't supported" error message.

About the charger

It has three ports.

Because it has three ports it needs to stick out a bit from my car power jack.

Because of the gold tone metallic cover it doesn't look bad sticking out.

It charges my iPad:

- At 2.1 Amps using the iPad socket This is typical for chargers marked as 2.4 amps when charging an iPad with a sync cable. (That's what most people will most likely use.)

- Not at all using the Android socket. This is not unusual for chargers designed to charge Android devices.

- At 0.95 Amps using the 1 Amp socket. That's pretty much dead on.

All in all, if you need a charger for your car there are lots of reasons to choose this one and no reason to avoid it.
[sample provided for review]

KAENAA™ [Lifetime Warranty] 3 USB Port Car Charger-[Black / Gold] 5.1 A/25.5 W Portable External Travel Charger Car Charger Extended Battery Pack Charger for Samsung Z,Galaxy S5,Prime,S5 Active,S4,S3,Note 4 3, 2;Tab 4 3 2 7.0 8.0 10.1 S 8.4 10.5;Amazon Fire Phone;The All New HTC One M8,Ace,Mini 2,M7;Apple iPhone 6 5S 5 5C 4S 4,iPad Air 5 4 3 2 1,iPad Mini/Retina,iPod Touch;Google Nexus 5 4 7 8 FHD 2;LG Optimus G3,G2,G Pro 2,G Flex,G Pad;Sony Xperia Z2;Other Android Smartphone/Tablets Case Cable USB Power Devices
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great choice for a car charger, August 20, 2014
It has three ports.

Because it has three ports it needs to stick out a bit from my car power jack.

Because of the gold tone metallic cover it doesn't look bad sticking out.

It charges my iPad:

- At 0.95 Amps using the 1 Amp socket. That's pretty much dead on.

[sample provided for review]

Apple Certified (Mfi) Lightning 1 Meter (3.3 Feet) KAENAA™ Woven Cable - Elegant Design
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly, looks Good, August 20, 2014
Length:: 0:33 Mins

Form:

- This looks classy. Well, as classy as a lightning cable can look.

- I like the nylon braided cover. Again, it's a form thing and it looks nice.

Function:

I don't know that it's worth buying this to replace a cable that already works. However, if you need an extra/spare/replacement then this would be a great choice.
[sample provided for review]

Mead Academie Wirebound Sketchbook, Casemade Cover, Medium Weight, 11 x 8.5 Inches Sheet Size, 70 Sheets (54076)
Price: $15.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, well constructed, good paper, August 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The strength of this pad is the strength of its cover. You can toss it in a backpack, for example, without worrying it will get bent or otherwise mangled.

The covers are semi-rigid. I can flex them but not a little. This provides excellent support for me to hold the thing with one hand and draw with the other. The will provide considerable protection to whatever art is created between them.

The large rings allow the cover, along with any number of pages, to fold easily and completely over.

Calling the paper 70 lb is conservative, if anything it is slightly heavier.

The paper is a nice compromise. It's slightly "toothy" yet still erases well.

The strength of this pad is the strength of its cover. You can toss it in a backpack without worrying it will get bent or otherwise mangled.

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch - Essentials Edition (GS208)
NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch - Essentials Edition (GS208)
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good... some bad, August 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is called a Desktop Switch because:

- It comes in a pretty PLASTIC case. It will fit equally well in any desktop decor.

- The lights are on the front and all the cables, power and LAN, connect in the back. That is opposed to devices such as the NETGEAR ProSAFE FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Desktop Switch that has the power cable on one side and the LAN jacks on the other.

Firstly, it works out of the box, as you would expect from a switch. For comparison, and as an opportunity to relax, I watched Netflix videos streamed under three conditions and compared the results:

- Wifi: Frequent pauses and hangs.

- 100 Mbs (using the FS105): Smooth streaming but occasionally not at the highest image quality.

- 1 Gb (using this switch): Highest image quality without any queuing.

Granted, this was not scientific but showed me, at least, that there is a difference.

There are some downsides:

- The front panel lights are very bright. I have covered them with electrical tape.

- This won't work well out of the box as a desktop switch. The bottom is completely smooth and will slide all over the place. In fact, given the weight of any LAN cables you plug it may not stay on your desk at all. Then again, who puts a switch on their desk?

I will also go on record as saying the listing is correct in that it is silent. I haven't heard a peep out of it yet. It also doesn't smell bad, sneak around at night stealing my things, or do any of the other things you wouldn't expect a switch to do.

Bottom line: This is a bit nicer looking (to some) and a few dollars more than other plastic 8-Port Gigabit switches.

SCUD Blue Point 7800mAh 2 in 1 Power Bank and Bluetooth 3.0 Headset for iPhone 4,4s,5,5s,Samsung Galaxy S3,S4,S5,Note 2,Note 3,iPad mini,iPad Air,HTC one-White
Offered by SCUD USA
Price: $129.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solves a big problem I've encountered with other Bluetooth headsets, August 18, 2014
The thing I hate second most about Bluetooth headsets is what to do with them when I'm not actually talking on the phone. If I put them in my pocket, I'm always concerned I might leave them there and they'll wind up going through the wash. (It's happened... more than once) I could keep them in my ear even when I'm not talking on the phone and you'll never guess what I hate the most about Bluetooth headsets. Anyway...

This nifty combo solves that problem by giving me a safe, secure, and accessible place to keep the headset. As a bonus, it's always fully charged and ready for use. As a bonus to the bonus, the battery/headset is a good size to slip in my pocket or briefcase.

As for the headset, it's light weight and inconspicuous. There's nothing fancy about it and it does the job of a headset quite well.

Portable Mini Tripod for Compact System Cameras and Cell Phones
Portable Mini Tripod for Compact System Cameras and Cell Phones
Offered by Wareway
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 1/2 the makings of a good quality, portable audio/video studio, August 18, 2014
This is a great tripod. The legs are solid and that's important if you want a well-aligned camera position. I'm using an iPhone and with the help of any of the free "level" apps, I can align my camera so it is perfectly horizontal.

The clamp holds my iPhone, case and all, with no problem. It also works to hold my 5" Android phone/tablet. That clamp can come off the base and I can use it with a full sized tripod if I need to. I can also use the base without the clamp to hold a regular camera. However, I can also get great results with smaller cameras using the clamp.

As good as is this setup, I can get even greater results by adding my Blue Microphones Mikey to the mix. I get better sound with this better mic and the mic gets even better sound when I use a tripod instead of having my phone sitting on a table or in my hand.

Even though I've never seen one in person, this tripod bears a striking resemblance to the Manfrotto MTPIXI-B PIXI Mini Tripod except that:

- This tripod costs a heck of a lot less

- This tripod has a mirror on the base that allows me to frame "selfie shots" so I can use the better resolution front facing camera.

Some other points I like are:

- When I close the tripod legs I can use it as a grip from my phone (or small camera) while I'm shooting videos to get a much steadier result.

- The legs have "grippy" feet so this doesn't slide around. It also allows me to adjust the height of the tripod slightly by closing all the legs a bit or the angle of the tripod by closing one or two of them and not have to worry about them sliding open.

Microplane Colossal Pedicutre Rasp Brown
Microplane Colossal Pedicutre Rasp Brown
Offered by A-Z NAIL SUPPLY
Price: $7.50
27 used & new from $7.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have stopped while I was ahead, August 18, 2014
I already owned the Powerful Emjoi Micro-Pedi Callus Remover (Latest Edition) and was quite satisfied with it.

However, I needed something for about $7 to reach the "Add-on" limit and based on its reviews this seemed like it could come in handy (besides costing the right amount).

Compared to the Emjoi it barely works at all. When I touch the rasp surface it feels like it is sharp and should be very effective. Unfortunately, in practice it barely has any effect.

I'll still keep both products and plan to keep the rasp at my beach house if I ever get a beach house. My suggestion, based on this chance comparison, is if you only need one then consider the Emjoi instead of this product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20