Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Bob Tobias > Reviews

Browse

Bob Tobias' Profile

Customer Reviews: 2410
Top Reviewer Ranking: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob Tobias "Robert Tobias" RSS Feed (Arlington, VA USA)
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
[Apple MFI Certified] Addon Pen Drive iFlash USB 3.0 Interface Flash Drive with Lightning Connector Compatible to All iPod /iPhone /iPad & & Computers(32GB Iron Gray)
Offered by MCSQUARE Co.
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good value and... finally... well designed caps., June 24, 2016
Length:: 0:52 Mins

This is a USB 3.0 drive and transfers data at a respectable 84 MBytes/sec read and 22 MBytes/sec write.

The first time I connected it to my iPhone it took me to the app store and allowed me to download their free Pendrive iFlash Pro app. After that, the app launched whenever I connected the drive.

The app had a clean and easy to use interface that allows me to access videos, music, and other files on the flash drive to play them or transfer them to my phone.

My favorite feature is the cap. It may sound like a small point but all the combo drives I've seen until this one had small caps that you need to keep track of and invariably lost. This cap stays attached, even when the drive is in use. That, combined with the relatively low cost, makes this 32 GB drive a good value. I expect the larger capacity drives may be even better values but I was unable to evaluate them and cannot guarantee​ their performance.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Videook Handheld iPhone & GoPro Stabilizer Gimbal - Compatible with most Android phones, smartphones, and other compact action cameras for Taking Stable cellphone videos
Offered by YISCOR
Price: $69.99
2 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One device that does three jobs very well and is built to last a lifetime, June 23, 2016
I own a few different iPhone/GoPro stabilizers. Some have all manner of adjustments to get the device perfectly balanced. This one doesn't, it is much simpler and *much* less expensive. It is also lighter, more compact, and easier to use.

When fully extended the device is about 20" above the gimbal (the round ring you hold that allows the pole to rock in any direction) and the weighted base is about a foot below it. That give me plenty of leeway so you can get things balanced "just so" to maximize the minimizing of any motion.

The stabilizer is, btw, built like a rock and will take a lot of abuse.

Finally, when you're not using it to stabilize videos, it will do a nice job of getting your camera up in the air (over the heads of people in front of you) and also make one heck of a selfie stick.

The only thing I changed was to use a LimoStudio 2PC Monopod Tripod Mount Clip that I had lying around instead of the clip that came with the stabilizer. My mount clip opened a bit wider and accepted my iPhone 6 Plus without first taking it from its case. (The included clip would have done just fine with my 6 Plus once I removed it from its case.)

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Stainless Steel French Press Insulated Travel Mug with Coffee Measure Bag Clip Scoop and Spill Proof Lid (12 OZ, White)
Offered by ketocoffee
Price: $34.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, for how I use it, June 23, 2016
╚═══════════

Full disclosure, I have several different brands of insulated, stainless steel, French press travel mugs.

Spoiler alert, this has become my favorite.

More disclosure, I do not use any of them as travel mugs.

╔════════
║ There are several reasons I don't like drinking from these:
╚════════

√ I have travel mugs that do a better job of being travel mugs.
√ I don't like having grounds sitting in the bottom of my cup even if they are held at bay by a screen. I believe they will still affect the taste.
√ It's a pain to refill a french press mug because you have to clean the grounds out.

What I do use these for is as French presses when I'm at work. They are great with the "just dispense hot water" function of the office Keurig machine. I go to the breakroom with my travel mug and a french press mug filled with ground coffee, fill the press with hot water, dawdle for four minutes, press the press, pour the freshly brewed coffee into my "real" travel mug, rinse out the press, and I'm back at my desk before anybody notices I've gone anywhere.

╔════════
║ What's great about this particular press is:
╚════════

▲ It fits under the Keurig water outlet without having to remove the base.

▲ The flat screen rinses off easily

▲ It does an excellent job of keeping the grounds away from my coffee

The accompanying pictures show the press I have been using for a while side-by-side with this one. The simpler screen contributes to simpler cleanup and the slightly shorter cup allows it to fit nicely with the office coffee maker.
╚═══════════

This will work as well as any other press/mug if you want to use it as a mug and excels for use as an in-the-office personal French Press.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Odec 8 Pack 5000mAh C Rechargeable Batteries, High Capacity Ni-MH C Cell Batteries
Offered by OdecDirect
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rechargeable C-sized cells that also deliver C-sized power, June 22, 2016
I've been given "rechargeable C cells" in the past and they felt like somebody had wrapped a rechargeable AA battery in a C cell-sized shell.

Not these.

Each battery weighs almost 3 ounces. I measured the capacity of several batteries and it was anywhere from 4,500 mA to 5,200 mA. I can't speak to the low discharge rate yet; I've set a pair aside and will see how they're doing in six months.

The batteries arrived quickly and are packed in reusable 2-battery plastic storage containers.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

GForce GF-P1056-1187 Electric Glass Kettle With Blue LED Light - 1.8L Capacity (Blue)
2 used & new from $39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A lightweight kettle, June 22, 2016
╚════════

▲ Lightweight, thanks to the thin, single-wall glass tank and plastic construction

▲ Potentially interesting "show" while the water is boiling. That's thanks to the glass tank and led's at the bottom.

╚════════

▼ There are plenty of places where hot water or steam will come into contact with plastic and leach back into the tank. (That kind of thing might bother some people.

▼ The narrow opening makes it difficult to reach inside for cleaning. That could, however, be handled by the right-sized brush.

▼ It doesn't shut off when you lift it from the base and will continue to heat the water when it is replaced.

▼ It feels flimsy overall.

▼ The thin, single-wall glass tank gets very hot while the water is boiling and remains hot for a while afterwards, especially if there is still water in the tank.

╚═══════════

Buy this kettle if you like the idea of seeing your water boil (eventually) with some decorative lighting.

Otherwise, I suggest you consider the Secura SWK-1701DB Stainless Steel Double Wall Electric Water Kettle. It heats water MUCH quicker, stays cool to the touch thanks to its double-wall stainless steel construction, and never has hot water or steam coming into contact with anything but stainless steel.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

ProAid Electric Eraser Kit with 20 Eraser Refills (Black)
ProAid Electric Eraser Kit with 20 Eraser Refills (Black)
Offered by Keepro
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and surgical, June 22, 2016
I always thought of electric erasers as heavy, cumbersome affairs that plugged into the wall and were good for removing pencil marks from large sections of paper quickly and easily. That's probably because the electric erasers I have used were just that.

This, however, isn't that.

It is, like the listing says, battery powered, light weight, and able to eradicate pencil marks quickly and with surgical precision. It's great to, for example, erase guide/perspective lines in a sketch.

Nowhy Spray Frosted Water Bottle Mist Cooling Outdoor Sports Drinking Bottles
Nowhy Spray Frosted Water Bottle Mist Cooling Outdoor Sports Drinking Bottles
Offered by Nowhy
Price: $12.99 - $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the ultra-fine mist and a price that is lower than "very similar" sprayers., June 22, 2016
╚═══════════

A wonderful alternative to sucumbing to heat stroke on a hot day.

╚════════

▲Ultra-fine mist is refreshing without getting me... soggy.

▲An easy squeeze gets a lot of misting action.

▲The wide mouth is easy to fill.

╚════════

▼There's a lot of plastic parts and I prefer to drink from something else. Because, even though it is BPA-free...

▼Using it to drink from and then mist gets a bit gross when you start to think about backwash.

╚═══════════

This isn't my first choice as a water bottle for drinking. However, it is my hands down choice as an accessory whenever I venture out on a hot day.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

BPA Free Easy To Drink From Sport Drinking Shower& Stream & Mist Spray Water Bottle, Outdoor Sport Coolest Water Bottle
Offered by Egymcom
Price: $14.99 - $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultra-fine mist is refreshing and evaporates quickly, June 22, 2016
╚═══════════

A wonderful alternative to sucumbing to heat stroke on a hot day.

╚════════

▲Ultra-fine mist is refreshing without getting me... soggy.

▲An easy squeeze gets a lot of misting action.

▲The wide mouth is easy to fill.

╚════════

▼There's a lot of plastic parts and I prefer to drink from something else.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Slow Dolphin Fabric Non Woven 6-1/2'x10' Photography Photo Video Studio Backdrop Background Kit, White Black Chromakey Backdrops, Backdrop Support Stand with Carry Bag
Offered by SLOW DOLPHIN
Price: $58.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Better. much better than the average low-cost backdrop kit. However..., June 22, 2016
╚═══════════

I have a bunch of low cost backdrop kits, I've come to like this one the best for several reasons.

╚════════

▲ The uprights and crossbar are easy to setup and take down.

▲ Everything (excpet the backdrops) packe into a compact three-section pouch for easy transport.

▲ The backdrops are on the thick side. That allows them to block out unwanted backlights that can leak through thinner material.

╚════════

▼ The listing mutters something about Chromakey. As supplied, this kit won't work well for that because all you get are white and black backdrops.

▼ The backdrops come with nice, thight accordian folds. That has them starting off with lots of creases.

╚═══════════

Many people who work with backdrops understand the need to get rid of any creases or wrinkles before shooting. I always carry a steamer, these days this Garment Clothes Steamer, with me whenever I'm traveling with a backdrop. I was able to steam out all the creases in the material that came with this kit in a matter of... well, it was almost an hour. Since then I fold them differently, into larger rectangles, so there is much less to steam.

I received this product for free in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Photoolex M800N 1/8000s Flash Speedlite i-TTL / TTL Speedlight for Nikon D7200 D7100 D7000 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3000 D3100 D300 D300S D700 D600 and Other Nikon DSLR Cameras
Offered by imuto
Price: $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly well built, high performing flash, June 20, 2016
╚═══════════

This flash seems every bit as capable as my SB-800, for a fraction of the price.

▲ The menus are better organized and easier to access, compared to my SB-800

▲ On my D-90 the flash can sync to 1/4000 of a sec.

▲ The flash is powerful and lives up to its "guide number"

▲ It can tilt 7º downward. That can be handy when shooting into an umbrella or lighting something very close to the lens

▲ Coupled with some low-cost iTTL triggers I can have full control of everything without moving from my camera

▲ It has a very durable feel

▲ It includes sockets for a PC sync cable and external battery

▲ It cycles in under a second

▲ It has a slide power switch (I really hate pushbutton power switches on flashes because they take longer to operate) and powers on in about a second.

╚════════

▼ It's about 2 oz heavier and 1" longer than my SB-800 (It's a small price to pay to save $100's on each iTTL flash)

▼ It doesn't come with a Stofen-style diffuser. That's OK because I *really* prefer the Lumiquest Promax System which for some reason is being offer for under $20, instead of for more than $50 (which is what I paid for mine and I just ordered a spare).

╚═══════════

I've compared this flash, as I do any iTTL flash I review, to my SB-800. Even if you don't believe it is the best off camera flash ever made, it certainly is among them. This flash provides a better value to anyone needing iTTL capability. In fact, this is a great option to get full iTTL control of off camera flash for little more than the cost of a "dumb" strobe.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20