Profile for Doug Velez > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Doug Velez RSS Feed (Seattle WA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
by Carlos Castaneda
Price: $19.05
94 used & new from $3.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for anyone who wants a riveting story of Southwest Indian Sorcery, April 21, 2013
Carlos Castaneda is an Anthropology student who wants to learn about Native American peyote rituals. He hooks up with Don Juan, a Yaqui Indian sorcerer who gradually takes him into a strange and wonderful world completely different from the one we live in. This book has been around for a long time and people still debate whether it was possible for the author to make this stuff up or is it what really happened to him.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

Singing the Soul Back Home: Shamanism in Daily Life (Earth Quest)
Singing the Soul Back Home: Shamanism in Daily Life (Earth Quest)
by Caitlin Matthews
51 used & new from $0.03

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent book - best read with a buddy or in a group, January 19, 2013
I have been a spiritual seeker for all my life. Now in my 50's I got into a group of 6 people with a teacher and we read this book. My spiritual journey has been absolutely revolutionized - having a spirit guide (or two or three or more!!!) can teach you things that are SO perfect for you, that you could never hire a counselor who would have the wisdom to know. I gave it 4 stars only because I don't know how I would have gotten through it without a group of people. This book will introduce you to the three spiritual realms: the underworld, middle world and upper world, and your personal spirit guides and power animals that will guide you through each and protect you. It's like taking a brief tour of a whole new continent - that you know you need to come back and explore endlessly.

The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life
The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life
by Steven Forrest
Price: $15.13
48 used & new from $14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The most readable basic astrology book for any beginner in Astrology, January 19, 2013
I have read several beginner's book and this one I have actually purchased and given to friends to start them out. There is a simple and natural pattern to Astrology - in fact it's so natural, we modern people have a hard time getting it. To understand it, you have to put yourself in the shoes of one of your ancestors of 5000 years ago. Astrology is about nature, and human nature, and how the two interacted in the natural world. This book really gets it. Steven Forest lays things out in a simple, understandable, and entertaining fashion.

Essential Dignities
Essential Dignities
by J. Lee Lehman
Price: $13.46
40 used & new from $6.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and uncommonly poorly written, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Essential Dignities (Paperback)
I really want to understand this topic - but this book is of little help. I tried to read this book once months ago - and set it down in disgust at the poor attempt at writing. I picked it back up again as it's just about the only book on this topic in Astrology that I really want to understand. Mind you, I've been studying Astrology for close to 30 years and have read a great number of books. Yet, again, I find myself almost red-faced angry with Lee Lehman for having thought she could sit down at a typewriter and explain a subject. Just about every page uses arcane words that she hasn't introduced or explained. In Chapter 2 she dives right into providing an example of what the dignities can be used for - again, without any attempt at introduction or explanation. This is a lot like walking into a calculus class during the 5th week of the semester and trying to understand the professor. 4th grade students learn to sequence their thoughts in better order. For instance, on page 32, she says "The querent is an Aries Sun...and Mercury cazimi..." "Cazimi" is from ancient Arabic Astrology and not a word you are going to find in any dictionary - you can look it up on Wikipedia, and when you do find and out it means and take it back to the book, you'll find her use of the term does nothing to further the topic she's trying to explain. She could have just said, "exactly conjunct" - but it's like trying to listen to a professor who is so in love with her command of arcane jargon, that she completely loses sight of the goal of helping her students understand the subject.

This is a worthy topic, but I truly regret that Lee Lehman cannot communicate it to an ordinary person. If you have time for chasing down words like that and then re-reading the sentence, then maybe this book is for you. (and maybe you can explain to me in English what you found out, please!)

Crystal Illusions
Crystal Illusions
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $16.90
42 used & new from $2.86

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is the best work by Sergio Mendez, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Crystal Illusions (Audio CD)
For those of you who grew up in the 60's, you'll remember this music. This album has some of the best Sergio Mendez ever did. It's a bit less commercialized than his later stuff - more unapologetically Brazilian in flavor. Later albums had him doing more covers of already popular American Music.

Rainbow Light Candida Cleanse, Food Based, Tablets, 120 tablets
Rainbow Light Candida Cleanse, Food Based, Tablets, 120 tablets
Price: Click here to see our price
16 used & new from $22.74

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product - but there are some things you should know about using it., January 13, 2012
I bought this because our dear FDA has prohibited my naturopath from providing this product to her patients. I suspect it was costing pharmaceutical companies too much money because it works too well.

There are lots of causes for heart burn and only some of them are due to too much stomach acid. Your body is trying to tell you something. You can cover it up with the drug on the market, but be aware they have some side effects like thinning your bones or reducing your digestive acids so you don't get all the nutrients from your food (especially calcium) and are left more vulnerable to disease. Such is the case with intestinal yeast - if you get rid of that, you'll be less vulnerable to all sorts of fungal infections like athlete's foot, ring worm, and urinary tract infections. Over the years, I've noticed there is a different quality to heart burn caused by yeast and one of your clues is that your heartburn gets worse if you consume sugar or white carbs (because you are feeding the yeast).

This product works. BUT you really need to be prepared to quit eating sugars and processed carbs such as white bread. The first 20 days I was trying to have it both ways - and it was barely doing any good. The first few days it seemed my heart burn got WORSE. Also you should be taking a pro-biotic because you are killing some of your intestinal flora and if you don't replace it with something you are inviting the yeast back, or something worse. This is a much more mild product than some of the stuff I got from my Naturopath - but she liked it for that reason - it doesn't scorch your intestinal flora and cause other digestive problems in trying to solve the problem of yeast.

Justin Bieber Singing Toothbrush - Baby and U Smile (colors may vary)
Justin Bieber Singing Toothbrush - Baby and U Smile (colors may vary)
Price: $6.67
30 used & new from $1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Product worked wonderfully - for what I wanted it for..., January 13, 2012
My Justin Beiber Singing Toothbrush was perfect for what I wanted it for - a gag gift for a teenage girl who is too cool for Justin. She was appropriately horrified to be seen with it!

Otherwise the technology is quite surprising - you can clearly hear his voice and what he is singing. Whether you LIKE his music will be another matter!

Wireless Motion Sensor Alarm and Chime Kit (2 Pack) with two remote controls and wall mount
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $24.19
9 used & new from $18.70

1.0 out of 5 stars P.O.S ! - item lasted only 5 days, September 12, 2011
On a positive note, I can say the siren is very shrill and you will have absolutely no doubt about when this item is having a false alarm and requires your attention! Fortunately it only chose daylight hours to register a false alarm.

I ordered a two-pack kit. Only one arrived. After I pointed this out to the vendor (through Amazon) I did get a prompt refund of half the price (because I opted the keep the unit I received - I WANTED 2 of them. This was fair enough).

About 5 days after installing the motion detector the siren went off for no apparent reason. The remote control units - which I had already tested and confirmed that in order for them to work, you need to be within line of sight, and within FIVE FEET, or they won't shut it off, did not work. The only way to shut the thing up was to take it off the wall and pull the batteries out. Two more false alarms and I put the thing in my garbage can.

P.O.S stands for "piece of S___"

Astrologia Gallica Book 24: Progressions and Transits
Astrologia Gallica Book 24: Progressions and Transits
by Jean-Baptiste Morin
Price: $15.26
37 used & new from $10.53

4.0 out of 5 stars A tough read, but worthwhile, April 13, 2011
Jean-Baptiste Morin, Astrologer to the King of France, wrote his treatise right about the end of the golden age of Astrology. With the "age of enlightenment" Astrology went into decline as we focused on "objective, factual knowledge". But we lost sight of the value of human perceptions of their world. Much Astrological wisdom has been lost in that time.

The translation of this book from old French into a rather flowery, archaic English makes for difficult reading, but the concepts brought out are timeless. The book teaches powerful techniques and concepts that are misunderstood or little used in the modern era.

I would recommend this book for a serious and advanced student of Astrology. I would recommend more modern authors for more casual students. This book was used as the class text for a very worthwhile course taught (on line) by Robert Corre (see "Forum on Astrology"). If you want to take his class you'll need the book. If you want to understand what the book says, take his class!

Hooked on Swing
Hooked on Swing
Price: $8.11
43 used & new from $1.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, I guess, April 13, 2011
This review is from: Hooked on Swing (Audio CD)
I'm not sure what I was hoping for - maybe that some of the original recordings would be cleaned up using modern sound engineering techniques. This is one I'll listen to a couple times and then add to my CD collection - probably in the back.

Page: 1 | 2