Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Kelly-AK > Reviews

Browse

Kelly-AK's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kelly-AK RSS Feed (Anchorage, AK USA)

Qigong Meridian Self Massage - Complete Program for Improved Health, Pain Annihilation, and Swift Healing (Chi Powers for Modern Age Book 5)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Improved Health and Vitality, April 19, 2015
I have been practicing the massage from this book for a few weeks now and I really feel like it has improved my health and vitality. At first I wasn't sure that I would even have the time to do this massage on a regular basis, but after the second or third time I went through the whole thing I felt fantastic! I used to have some minor back and hip pain - but that is gone now. I used to feel tired by the afternoon, but now I feel like I have plenty of energy throughout the day. I also have always wanted to have better posture, and I've noticed since I started doing this massage that my posture has improved quite a bit without 'trying' to have better posture. I have recommended this book to several people and I wish more people knew about it. I think Sifu Lee does a good job of keeping it as simple and easy to follow as possible. Thank you Sifu Lee for sharing your knowledge in this book. :)

The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity (James H. Silberman Book)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is helping our daughter have a better life, April 17, 2015
This book has been so helpful for our family; it is hard to really do justice to the tremendous impact it has had on our lives in a few short months. Our daughter had a difficult birth and a long stay in the hospital, during which they made many terrifying predictions about her future. We refused to accept them, knowing that healing had to be possible.

I first found Dr. Doidge's book The Brain That Changes Itself and was fascinated! But this book, The Brain's Way of Healing has been even more powerful for us. In it, Dr. Doidge shares amazing stories of recovery and healing with a variety of methods and treatments. I feel like every chapter brought us new ideas. Dr. Doidge is brilliant, and also a gifted writer. I consider this book a masterpiece, not only of hope and progress, but of the human experience. His chapter about the life and work of Moshe Feldenkrais and Elizabeth is a masterpiece alone. I came to feel a deep appreciation for Moshe Feldenkrais and the people he helped in his lifetime. And even beyond his lifetime now in the help his work has brought for our daughter.

I felt particularly drawn to the Feldenkrais method after reading this book. Really, the method was the answer to what I had been searching for but didn't know what to call it. I searched online and found a Feldenkrais practitioner who now comes to our home and works with our daughter. The changes have been marvelous.

I was also very interested in the stories Dr. Doidge shares about the work of Paul Madaule at The Listening Centre in Toronto. I contacted the Centre directly soon after reading this book, and just returned from our first visit there. It is amazing. Dr. Doidge speaks highly of Paul Madaule in this book, and every bit of it is well deserved. Paul genuinely cares for children, and The Listening Centre in Toronto is a treasure of warmth and care for children. And they have a method that really works. We have pursued many different treatments, often traveling for them, and the deep care we received at The Listening Centre is beyond amazing. Paul's work is a gift, and his insights are incredibly powerful. Our daughter is making progress thanks to his work and the work of those at the Centre, but we also feel so refreshed and alive. Truly a gift. I would not have learned about The Listening Centre if I had not read about it in Dr. Doidge's book. I am so grateful.

I have read at least 60 books in this arena, usually focusing on a specific area or modality of healing. This book is the most powerful I have read. Not only because of the ideas Dr. Doidge puts forth, but because of the variety of treatments that are discussed. Many doctors or experts know about one field, and they may know it very well - but Dr. Doidge knows so many fields; this book is truly informative.

The ideas we have learned from this book are having a tremendous impact on the healing of our daughter. And even though I find it a very accessible read - each time I read it again I learn something new, pick up another idea.

The first time I read the chapter about Feldenkrais and his work with Elizabeth, I was intrigued by his observation of how tight Elizabeth's achilles tendons were, and how it hurt when she tried to move her legs. And that if they could get that to soften, she could progress. Our daughter's legs had been tight and she had not wanted to roll over or try to crawl. Such a simple idea, and yet it had never occurred to me (or any of the many professionals we were working with). I immediately began to massage her heels, and by the next morning her legs were significantly looser. Astonishingly looser. We had had a wonderful massage therapist working with us, who had seen her the day before and during that time had spent several minutes just trying to gently loosen up her toes with massage because they were so tight. After my excited text messages he returned the next day and was also amazed at how her legs were now loose and free. Here we had had a very gifted massage and body work person working with our daughter (and we still have great appreciation for his work) but the simple insight of Feldenkrais about the tight tendons impeding development as shared through Dr. Doidge's book made a significant difference essentially overnight. This is just one small example of how the things we've learned in this book are helping our daughter; and in this book we have learned many.

This book is tremendous. Thank you Dr. Doidge.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2015 10:37 AM PDT

Natural Birth Control Made Simple
Natural Birth Control Made Simple
by Barbara Kass-Annese
Price: $15.32
85 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Choose a Better Book, January 29, 2007
If you're looking for a good place to start - this book is not it. While I think the author gives good descriptions of your fertility signs, I don't think this book is a good idea for people new to NFP.

My biggest beef with this book is how the 'rules' are presented.

What you need to know is that there are basically two forms of NFP: STM and OM. STM (Sympto-Thermal Method) uses your basal body temperature, cervical mucus observations and changes in your cervix to determine when you are fertile and when you are not. OM (Ovulation Method or Billings Ovulation Method) relies on cervical mucus observations to determine your fertility.

While both can be effective - they use different rules. The author presents both STM and OM - but she mixes up the rules!

The result is a mish-mash of fertility rules that I think will lead to lower effectiveness rates. If you want to use NFP effectively, you need to pick one method and follow the rules for that method.

An example of this mix up involves the rules before ovulation. The author lists one of the STM rules (page 114) as abstaining during menstrual bleeding. This is not an STM rule - this is an OM Rule. There is no reason, if you are using STM that you need to abstain during the menstrual bleeding - but you MUST abstain during any bleeding if you are using the Ovulation Method.

With STM, you use your Basal Body Temperature rise to know when you are experiencing true menstrual bleeding - and not breakthrough bleeding, which is very fertile. With the Ovulation Method - there is no way of knowing (since you don't take your temperature) if bleeding is true menstruation - so with the OM, you must abstain during any bleeding.

Then on page 117, the author discusses the Cervical Mucus Method (aka Billings Ovulation Method) and suggests that you should abstain during your menstrual bleeding - or - you can have intercourse during the first five days of your cycle. Well - which is it? With the OM - you must abstain during any bleeding. The first five days option is a rule from STM.

If you're new to Natural Family Planning or Fertility Awareness - these may not seem like big differences. But take it from someone who has studied both methods - it is important to follow the rules. You can't take a little from this method and a little from that method and hope to get an effective method of postponing pregnancy.

The author will say that there are some rules that are more conservative - and others that are less - but doesn't always clearly identify which is which. For a beginner to NFP - this is trouble.

If you're looking to learn more about Natural Family Planning, pick a better book. Try "The Art of Natural Family Planning" - while it's a bigger book - you'll get clear instruction on the rules, along with the effectiveness of each rule so you can make informed decisions.

I gave this book two stars (instead of one) because I think the author does do a good job describing fertility signs and how to observe them.

That aside - choose another book to start learning about NFP - this one mixes up too many rules to be a good beginner book. If you are serious about using NFP effectively - don't choose this book.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Hypo-Allergenic Moisturizer, December 5, 2004
I have very sensative skin. I was using 'hypo-allergenic' moisturizers like Neutrogena and Aveeno - but my face would get very red and irritated after I applied them. After buying no less than 6 different kinds of 'hypo-allergenic' moisturizers with no luck, I talked to my doctor. She gave me a little sample of Vanicream. I'm so glad she did - I can finally apply a moisturizer without irritating my face! :) It is a touch on the greasy side when you first apply it. After a few minutes the greasiness goes away. Most importanty - it is truly hypo-allergenic. It's great!

Sony DCRIP7BT MicroMV Digital Camcorder w/ 2.5" Hybrid LCD, 8MB Memory Stick, MPEG Movie, & Network Capability (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat this camcorder for portability!, January 4, 2003
You can't beat this camera for portability! I have owned this camera for almost a year now and have been pleased with its performance. I chose to buy this camera for its small size because I was going on a trip to Europe with my best friend. I kept this camera close at hand in my purse the whole time. It was great to be able to take out this camera and record at the drop of a hat!
I had traveled to Europe before with another friend and he took a normal sized camcorder. When I travel to Europe, I don't like to stick out as a tourist and I was constantly embarrassed when he would take out his regular camcorder and take video because it was so obvious that we were tourists.
With my Sony DCR-IP7BT on my most recent Europe trip, I was able to take tons of video without anyone noticing! When people did notice that I had a camera out, they thought it was only a still camera because it was so small.
I have used the video editing software with much success. :) Granted, it takes a while to edit your video, but it is so simple and there are so many effects you can add, I don't think the average person will be disappointed. I have edited our vacation video and really enjoyed being able to do the editing on my laptop computer and adding in the special effects.
I have really enjoyed owning this small camcorder. It was so useful and I will never again take a normal sized camcorder on vacation. I'm sure you could get better video and still picture resolution on another camera; but because this camera is so delightfully compact, I can't complain.
This camera is perfect for someone who is concered about size and portability. It is not cheap, but I have no regrets when I watch video of priceless memories from my trip to Europe.