Profile for B. Price > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Price RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Bose SoundTouch 30 Wi-Fi Music System
Bose SoundTouch 30 Wi-Fi Music System
Price: $699.00
19 used & new from $540.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Even Without Airplay, November 16, 2013
==UPDATE==
After trying most Android applications that would potentially let me stream from my Android phone to the SoundTouch, I've found that it's possible but not currently feasible. After sending usage logs to a developer of two such applications, he concluded that the SoundTouch does not send the normal TransportState = "STOPPED" notice when a song finishes playing so auto-advancing in a playlist doesn't work like it should.

This seems like an easy fix on Bose's part that would broaden the SoundTouch's audience so hopefully they can release an update for that. For reference, the most promising application I've found and talked to the developer of is Cast To UPnP/DLNA for GMusic.
==========

As an Android/PC user, I was apprehensive about buying this Apple-biased system, but I'm hopeful to still use the SoundTouch as I'd like. I've never had a Bose product before and I'm not an audiophile so I can't rate the sound quality, but it does sound good to me and the 30 gets loud enough to be painful in our apartment's 24'x7' living room.

My main concern was about sources of audio and methods I can play music on the SoundTouch 30. I'll detail my observations below.
* Pandora
Very simple and quick, any station able to be set as a preset.
* Windows Media Player library
Fairly simple, any artist/playlist able to be set as a present, but needs work. If I create a new playlist in WMP or add more music, the SoundTouch application will not be updated with that information. To update it, I have to remove the WMP library, add it again and wait a few minutes for it to sync.
* Android - Local MP3s and Google Play Music
The best option I've found can only play one song at a time but I'm hoping Bose can release updated firmware that would allow for better Android utilization in this area. They didn't advertise this functionality, but it's so close to working that they should look into it. Please see my update above for more details.

Holstein Housewares HF-09010B Fun Omelette Maker, Black
Holstein Housewares HF-09010B Fun Omelette Maker, Black
Price: $22.73
12 used & new from $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Four, June 5, 2013
I really want to return this, but it was decently cheap, it speeds up my morning a little and it does work. Hopefully these observations will help you make your decision:

On each side, you'll be lucky to fit a two-egg omelette if you add much to it. I just mix two eggs up with a little milk and it barely fits.

The eggs do come out very fluffy but I strongly prefer the taste I used to get when I just poured my eggs in a pan and flipped it when it was solid enough to flip.

Two notes: I run a stick of butter around the edge of the cavity when it's heating up so nothing sticks and that works pretty well with a minimal amount of butter. Also, I used the second cavity fairly successfully to cook a breakfast sausage at the same time, but it doesn't get browned soon enough so I still cook my sausage in a pan.

Maxboost SLIM Samsung Galaxy S4 Case / Samsung Galaxy S IV Case / I9500 Premium Protective Hard Case Cover - Matte Black Rubberized, Fits Any Version for Galaxy S4 S 4 SIV S IV I9500 includes Models for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, International Unlocked
Offered by power-innovation
Price: $5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Meh, May 18, 2013
I want to give this thing a three-star rating but I did only paid four dollars for it, so whatever. There is a rubbery coating on this case but it is covering another, much slicker surface. The rubbery coating is flaking away and leaving the slicker surface exposed. So far, after about a week of usage, it is only happening in two smallish areas, so we'll see what happens.

Cimo Samsung Galaxy S4 Case [ULTRA SLIM] S Case Premium Flexible TPU Cover for Samsung Galaxy S IV S4 GS4 4 - Clear
Offered by Cimo Technologies
Price: $9.96
2 used & new from $6.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Galaxy S4, May 3, 2013
The case seems pretty nice. The microphone on the bottom of the phone isn't centered in the hole that's made for it, but oh well. The buttons for power and volume work pretty well. The only thing I don't like is that the clear part on the back clings to the phone and there appear to be air bubbles that I can't get rid of. I only dislike it because it doesn't look good.

Update: I also ordered the Maxboost SLIM Samsung Galaxy S4 Case and like it more. Despite my phone being white, I like the black case. This other case doesn't cover the top or bottom completely, but it's good enough; I like the feel much better. With this case (the clear one in the review), I was always grabbing my phone up-side-down because I couldn't tell which way was up.

Wireless Stereo Headset - Playstation 3
Wireless Stereo Headset - Playstation 3
Offered by Strong Living
Price: $100.99
63 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well On Windows 7, April 27, 2013
I couldn't find any reviews that specifically stated this so I'd like to say that these work very well on my Windows 7 Laptop. I plugged the USB dongle in, Windows automatically installed drivers, and within 2 minutes of opening the box I was listening to music. When my wife plugged the dongle into her Windows 8 laptop it worked within 10 seconds.

An added plus is that the microphone also works well. I can be a quiet talker at times but I just gave my mother a test call on Gmail through Google Voice and she said she could hear me pretty well.

One thing worth noting: when my wife was in the bathroom, maybe 30' from her laptop and around two corners, the audio stopped. I'm not sure what the range is rated for but for but I was hoping we could go anywhere within our ~800sqft apartment (the bathroom being almost as far from her laptop as possible).

Other Notes:
- On button/mute_microphone button is by applying pressure to the side of the headphones, which is interesting
- There is a volume slider and a slider for sound/voice (in game, with your teammates?) which I suppose doesn't apply to me
- The virtual surround has an on/off button which is nice since I'm hopefully saving battery by not using it
- They are comfortable, though the inward pressure on my ears was slightly unpleasant at first
- Compared to other wireless headphones, the price is good =)

Brother Printer HL6180DW Wireless Monochrome Printer
Brother Printer HL6180DW Wireless Monochrome Printer
Price: $244.98
83 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Right Out Of The Box, February 25, 2013
My new printer arrived today and it was beautiful.

I opened the box, plugged it in and it said, "Connect to a network?" Yes, please!

"Searching automatically..." and mine happened to pop up first. I entered my password, which was a bit annoying, but it connected quickly and I got to my computer. I went to Add Network Printer and my new printer came right up. It automatically installed SOMETHING, but there were some components that didn't install for some reason.

No worries. I went to the Brother website, downloaded my drivers, and everything was good. We've had a Brother HL-5340D for a few years but I really wanted a wireless printer so I know this is a quality device and am looking forward to another few years of printing before having to buy a printer cartridge =)

Sunny Magnetic Upright Bike
Sunny Magnetic Upright Bike
Price: $116.73
7 used & new from $116.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not for me, September 9, 2012
The biggest issue for me is that the seat doesn't adjust very high. When pedaling, at least on a real bike, your legs should fully extend at the bottom of the cycle but this bike comes about 3" short of being able to do that for me at 5'10".

The other thing that I didn't care for was slightly uneven pedaling; some parts of the cycle seemed to have more resistance than others, like breaks that needed to be replaced because of uneven wearing. If the seat was high enough I could have dealt with that, probably.
Note: I bought this used from the Amazon Warehouse so the uneven pedaling may be from that.

Otherwise, assembly was fairly easy and the computer kind of worked. All measurements with bikes are fairly subjective so I guess I can't blame the system but the distance for the amount of work didn't seem appropriate. I have a pretty decent Trek hybrid bike and whatever they were modeling their distance->effort calculation on wasn't comparable to that.

So most likely if you're 5'8"+ you may want a different bike. The Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike has reviews about the seat post actually being too high for some people so I'm hopeful that it will be better for me.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (32GB, Deep Grey)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (32GB, Deep Grey)
89 used & new from $242.98

1,035 of 1,067 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars THE Tablet for Students, but Great for All, August 18, 2012
Review updated 2/5/2013. I ordered this tablet immediately when Amazon posted it with 1-day shipping and as of 7/20/2013 I haven't had any issues as a few users seem to have reported. Don't get discouraged if you get a lemon; just return it for another - Amazon has free returns/replacements in such cases.

* Hand Written Notes
- S Notes - Exports to PDF and also JPG. It has templates for various types of productivity. My favorites are the ruled paper, the meeting template (date, time, attendees, meeting notes) and the recipe template (I can imagine this being very useful for the kitchen, propped up in a case).
- Papyrus Beta - This free application is very nice and similar to S Note but has normal paper templates such as College Ruled, Wide Ruled, Narrow Ruled, Blank and 4 different Graph Paper types.
- ezPDF - Costs $3 and is what you'll probably want to make annotations on lecture slides and whatnot.
- MOST applications allow you to rest your palm on the tablet while writing, others are not as well written. This all depends on the author of a specific app.
- SOME applications have nice erasers. Some times you can press the button on the S Pen to erase instead of write and some times you can just use your finger to erase while using the S Pen to write. This all depends on the author of a specific application.

* Hand Writing Instead of Typing - The default keyboard has an option that lets you hand write in any input field instead of typing. Long-press the settings (gear) button on the keyboard to select the T button which enables hand writing. Please see the User Images of this product for a good example of this.

* Multitasking (updated 2/5/2013) - Within the past week I've noticed a number of apps I use get multi-screen support so it's much less limited and a gimmick, now. I can easily be taking notes on one half of the screen while browsing or chatting or whatever on the other half. With more apps supporting the feature now it's a much larger factor in whether or not to buy.

* GPS - Fast and accurate. I am currently on the first floor of a two-story apartment building about ten feet away from the outer wall (sliding glass door) and Google Maps had my position within 40 meters almost instantly after turning on the GPS receiver. Within 35ish seconds it had my position accurate to 10 meters.

* S Pen - Comfortable to hold (I'm a 5'10" tall guy and have normal sized hands). There's an odd button on the side which adds extra functionality with certain gestures. I have no idea how it works because I'm pretty sure the S Pen isn't powered in any way, but it's more than just a stylus.

* Screen - Very sensitive. I've been taking notes for half of my classes on my tablet and it works well. I usually have the brightness set to 10-15% or slightly less in classrooms or at home because that's all I really need but also to conserve battery life.

* Battery - While leaving it on all the time, wifi off when not using it, I manage to only charge my Note 10.1 once a week. Standard usage includes notes during seven hours of lecture each week and using it periodically throughout the day or in the evening.
- To really stretch your battery life you'll need to disable some apps. I disabled Google+ and some of the default/Samsung apps that come with the device in Settings->Application Manager. As of 2/5/2013 I'm still getting ~7 days out of one charge with moderate usage.

* Build Quality - Standard Samsung quality. The case has a lot of plastic and the back gives a little if you push on it but it definitely feels solid. Now that it's in a case the build quality doesn't matter any more.

* Speed
- Very smooth. I updated about 10 apps at the same time in the market, an operation which would nearly cripple my Galaxy S until it was done, and I couldn't tell any difference in the smoothness of the Note 10.1. While I was exploring I ended up having 15-20 applications open at the same time but again I couldn't tell any difference.
- Coming from a Galaxy S phone and hardly ever using a tablet before, I'm amazed by how fast this thing boots/restarts.

* Wifi - No complaints. It connects quickly and hasn't had any issues.

* Sound - Good, loud and scared my cat when I started something on Google Play. She looked around like she does when our surround sound is on because she doesn't understand what was making such a noise. I can't tell any difference in quality between it and my laptop when watching the same video on both (the laptop was ~$1700 before a coupon).

* Rooting Friendly - Check out the forum for this tablet on xda developers for info. This device already has developers that say they'll work on it and I'm sure more will sign up because the Note 10.1 stands out among the crowd.

* Universal Remote / IR Blaster
- Works well enough. I'm going to sell my Logitech Harmony One universal remote because the Peel application works but could be nicer. With my Harmony One I could set up custom activities like Listen to Radio on my Onkyo receiver but the Peel application only has standard actions like Watch Bluray. I can still set it to play the radio but it's buried in the menus.
- Great cable TV interface. We don't watch/have cable, but if you tell it what service you have it'll tell you what is currently playing, what will be playing and provides customized content based on the preferences you specify. It works with DVRs so I imagine you can manage all of that from the Peel application as well.

* Cameras - Amazon removed the images I posted for some reason so just take my word that the cameras work well. Both the front 1.9MP camera and 5MP camera fully live up to their specs.

* The Wife - Now that I've set it up the way I like it she won't put it down. You may not want your not-so-techie spouse to love it, but at least my wife won't be complaining that I spent $550 on it and then another nearly $100 on accessories =)

* SwitchMe App - When set up properly, if your tablet is rooted, this free application will give your Android device multiple profiles. Normally an Android device can only have one primary Google account to use with Google specific applications and whatnot, but this allows you to have separate profiles with separate accounts and separate applications.
Note: If you're going to use the SwitchMe app, DO NOT clone one profile to create another. Just set up a completely new profile.
Comment Comments (88) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 11:56 AM PDT

Coleman Two-Mantle Dual Fuel Lantern with Hard Case
Coleman Two-Mantle Dual Fuel Lantern with Hard Case
Price: $59.99
42 used & new from $52.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camping Light, March 31, 2012
While this light is nice and bright, it gets HOT fast! That should be expected but make sure all campers are aware of this.

Also, I don't know why people are complaining about the case. If you hang the handle one way the case doesn't fit well but if you hang it on the other side of the lantern it fits very well and the bottom is secure.

Texsport Heavy Duty Camp 24" X 16" Grill
Texsport Heavy Duty Camp 24" X 16" Grill
Price: $29.94
22 used & new from $22.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite as Described, March 25, 2012
Do not cook on this grill because the black paint/finish will come off on your food. I put olive oil on it the grill before cooking and that didn't help. I'd definitely suggest paying a little more and getting the comparable item of another brand that is on Amazon (it has great reviews).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2013 9:04 PM PDT