Profile for Martha McKinnon, Simple Nourished Living > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Martha McKinnon, Simple Nourished Living RSS Feed (Phoenix, AZ USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
10 Habits That Mess Up a Woman’s Diet: Simple Strategies to Eat Right, Lose Weight, and Reclaim Your Health
by Elizabeth Somer
195 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Approach to Healthy Balanced Weight Loss, August 20, 2013
When I started reading 10 Habits That Mess Up a Woman's Diet: Simple Strategies to Eat Right, Lose Weight, and Reclaim Your Health I couldn't put it down. There's something about the word "simple" that seems to draw me in every time!
According to her website, Somer is a respected author and and nutritionist who provides smart, healthy food solutions for busy people who want to achieve their ideal weight, maximize their energy and be the healthiest they can be. (Sounds like my kind of gal!)

I've only made it through the introduction and first chapter of 10 Habits That Mess Up a Woman's Diet so far, but already I'm impressed and maybe more than a little ashamed at how much I'm resonating with her message. In the preface she says to "think of the book as your best friend who honestly tells you like it is. You can lose weight and regain your health and energy. You can wow the crowd once you get honest with yourself about a few little habits." (Ah, the power of getting real and honest.)
She claims to know these habits intimately, from both her own personal experience, as well as from her more than 25 years helping her female clients recognize and address them.

So, what are the 10 habits that mess up a woman's diet? According to Somer they are...

Habit 1: Mindless Eating. We are masters at unconscious eating - of nibbling, noshing tasting, licking, and clearing away leftover bites that we somehow believe don't count but in reality can add up to hundreds of unsatisfying calories a day.
Habit 2: Putting Others Needs Ahead of Our Own. Marriage, children, work, family gatherings, socializing, and eating out can all contribute to our straying from our best intentions.
Habit 3: Not Being Honest. We deceive ourselves believing we eat less and move more than we actually do.
Habit 4: Skip the Broccoli, Eat the Fries. We eat far too few fruits and vegetables and far too much of everything else.
Habit 5: Setting Off without a Plan. As they say, "Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Habit 6: Excuses, Excuses, Excuses. We are masters of making excuses and shifting blame. The justifications, rationalizations, claims, reasons and justifications are unending.
Habit 7: I'm Moody, Lets Eat! We use food to calm, control, celebrate, commiserate, medicate, wake up and wind down.
Habit 8: Give Me the Quick Fix Now! We fall for the latest fad gimmick looking from some magical solution to our weight and health issues.
Habit 9: Drinking Away our Waistlines. The more calories we drink the more likely we are to gain weight.
Habit 10: All or Nothing Approach to Dieting. We are living in a world of extremes - alternating between going like gang busters and giving up when results aren't achieved fast enough.

How many of these excuses resonate with you? While I hate to admit it, they all resonate with me. I've engaged in each of them at one time or another. And now as I read this book, I know I'm not alone. (Hurray for that.)

Having now completed the book I can honestly say that reading this book, facing the truth, and making the necessary changes will help you lose weight in a healthy balanced way and keep it off. It's as simple as that!

Quick and Light: Healthy Recipes You'll Fall in Love With
Quick and Light: Healthy Recipes You'll Fall in Love With
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick & Tasty Recipes for Weight Watchers, August 3, 2013
So, I was happy to find Quick and Light: Healthy Recipes You'll Fall in Love With by Janie Samuels on Amazon for just $2.99.

This book is filled with recipes for the quick light meals that the author used while losing 40 pounds and keeping it off.

I enjoyed reading these recipes. They had me salivating. Janie cooks with the ingredients and flavors I like. All the recipes include nutritional information and Weight Watchers PointsPlus values too.

Number of recipes: 29

Recipes I can't wait to try: Rosemary Turkey Cutlets. Smothered Burgers and Gravy. Sweet and Sour Shrimp. Fresh Tomato and Basil Pasta. Cheesy Zucchini Rotini. And Warm Cinnamon Apples.

Here are her recipes for quick light meals:

Entrees

Caramelized Carrots with Rosemary
Smoky Mashed Sweet Potatoes
10 Minute Oven-Roasted Tomatoes
Parmesan Cauliflower
Sauteed Kale (for people who don't like kale)
Garlic and Wine Sauteed Mushrooms

Desserts

Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
Warm Cinnamon Apples
3 Minute Sorbet

What are the negatives? This e-cookbook has no Photographs. A few recipes include expensive ingredients: filet mignon and lamb chops. And there may be some typos. For example, the Cheesy Zucchini Rotini calls for 1 tablespoon italian seasoning. This seems like a lot for a dish with only two servings.

Who would enjoy this book? Busy home cooks who want to eat tasty quick light meals. Weight Watchers who want recipes with nutritional information and Weight Watchers PointsPlus values.

***Update: I have made the cheesy zucchini rotini and liked it. I did cut back on the Italian seasoning, using just 1/2 teaspoon and thought it was plenty.

Relish: An Adventure in Food, Style, and Everyday Fun
Relish: An Adventure in Food, Style, and Everyday Fun
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $15.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Eat and Live Happy with Relish, July 27, 2013
More a lifestyle book for young women in their 20s and 30s, than a cookbook, it was the food photography and recipes that grabbed my attention. Just five of the book's thirteen chapters are devoted to food: Breakfast, Lunch Break, Cocktails, Dinner and Dessert.

The remaining chapters cover a range of topics, from navigating the supermarket to fitness, beauty, decorating, travel and relationships. It's a lot of territory for a 27-year-old to cover, but Daphne Oz displays wisdom beyond her years. I would loved to have had a book like this when I was in my 20s and 30s.

The recipes appear fun and easy to make. And the first one I tried - Watermelon Gazpacho was a winner with everyone who tried it. Some of the other recipes I can't wait to try: chile jam chicken with caramelized sweet potatoes and peaches; veggie, bean and cheese enchiladas; chocolate chip oatmeal cookies; Persian brown rice pudding and coconut pecan pound cake.

What I found interesting - in addition to the recipes - were the strategies Daphne used to lose 30 pounds in college and keep it off ever since, while still enjoying all the foods she loves. I'm more than a little impressed that she was able to figure out in her 20s what it took me several decades to figure out.

At 17, Daphne weighed 180 pounds because she let food have control over her. She was stuck in the struggle so many of us have experienced: She loved the comfort and connection that food provided while fearing it because of the power it had over her. She tried fad dieting over and over in high school and then gave up on herself for a time, resigning herself to being fat, which couldn't have been easy for the daughter of Dr. Oz.

While in college she developed a healthy lifestyle that led her shed 30 pounds permanently without giving up any of her favorite foods. She took back control, and stopped thinking of food as `good' and `bad,' instead adopting the philosophy that the difference between healthful and unhealthful is really the difference between moderation and excess.

I love her refreshingly simple philosophy: "Eat Happy!" which means eating food that provides vitality, experience, joy or all three. The purpose of food and eating is to enrich her life.

When she eats happy, health is a priority, not an obsession: "I'm letting go of all the neuroses, confusion, and anxiety that plague people who think about food in terms of isolated nutrients or specific numbers (grams of fat, calories, sodium). I'm also letting go of being controlled by food, the way that people who are addicted to fast, processed junk food become slaves to caffeine, sugar and simple carb fix. I'm letting go of the desperation of being `stuck' in a situation where there's `nothing I can eat' because of how restrictive my eating guidelines are."

She is enjoying food as part of her life, rather than letting it define her life. And it's working for her. Her inspiring message encourages us to take a big, juicy bite out of food and life and relish it!

Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly Revised & Updated: 600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
by Phyllis Pellman Good
Price: $11.27
99 used & new from $3.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and Tasty Recipes for Busy Weight Watchers, July 27, 2013
The slow cooker can be a real life saver in the kitchen. It can make getting dinner on the table so easy and effortless, a necessity in these busy times.

If you are looking for easy slow cooker recipes that are also light and healthy, FIX-IT and FORGET-IT LIGHTLY : Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker, can help. It's another in the country's bestselling crockpot cookbook series by Phyllis Pellman Good, which have sold more than nine million copies.

If you are familiar with the Fix-It and Forget-It series, you know that the books are edited compilations of recipes contributed by home cooks from all around the country that are intended for busy folks who have to cook every day, not those who dabble in cooking more as a hobby or whim. Which means you won't find fancy gourmet recipes in FIX-IT and FORGET-IT LIGHTLY, but rather a mix of both simple and more interesting recipes designed for everyday. For example, on page 13, there is a recipe for "Slow-Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken" that calls for boneless skinless chicken, taco seasoning mix, flour, red and green bell pepper (cut into strips), frozen corn, chunky salsa and shredded nonfat Mexican style cheese.

Each recipe includes prep and cooking times, ideal cooker size, and information about calories, calories from fat, cholesterol, carbohydrates, fiber, sugar, and vitamins, so those on Weight Watchers have all the nutritional information necessary to calculate PointsPlus values.

More About the Book:

Recipes I've tried and liked: Wild Rice Soup, Turkey Mushroom Soup, Turkey and Green Chili Chowder, Pizza Soup, Easy Potato Soup, Black Bean Soup, Taco Soup and Easy Slow Cooker Beef and Mushrooms.

Recipes I want to try: Mandarin Orange Chicken, Honey Chicken, Swiss Steak with Onions, Peppers and Tomatoes, Slow Cooker Stroganoff, Wild Rice Casserole, Pulled Pork with Applesauce, Tasty Pork Tenderloin, Mexican Pinto Beans, Cheeseburger Soup, Chicken Barley Chili, Healthy Harvest Applesauce, Mexican Dip, Breakfast Apple Cobbler

Chapters include:

Desserts
Appetizers, Snacks and Spreads
Beverages
Breads and Breakfast Dishes

Each recipe includes number of servings, prep time , cooking time, and ideasl slow cooker size. Tips for using the slow cooker, including how to maximize what the slow cooker does best, are included in the introduction.

The book is plastic spiral bound with 3 to 5 recipes per page, arranged in columns. There are only 3 photographs in the entire book, so if pictures are important to you, this IS NOT the cookbook for you.

Who would enjoy this book? Busy home cooks who want to eat lighter and healthier. This book is designed for home cooks who have to cook most everyday. It's packed with relatively simple recipes that can help you get a light and healthy dinner on the table day in and day out. And it's Weight Watchers friendly since the recipes include the nutritional information required to calculate PointsPlus values.

But it's important to remember that no cookbook is foolproof. If you are an inexperienced cook, it's best to start with the recipes for soups, stews and chilis since they are the most forgiving. And expecting that recipes can be written to exactly suit your taste/seasoning preferences is unrealistic, but this is something you can easily learn to do for yourself with practice.

Happy Cooking!

5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness
5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness
by Camilla V. Saulsbury
Price: $19.13
91 used & new from $0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Recipes for Healthy Eating, Easy & Delicious, October 1, 2012
5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla Saulsbury is the cookbook I've used most often this summer, which is saying something when you're a cookbook junkie like me! It's packed with recipes that are simple, delicious and healthy, a winning combination if there ever was one!

Everything I've made so far has been delicious and I've got lots more recipes bookmarked to try this fall and winter.

Recipes I've tried: Pumpkin Yogurt with Quinoa Crunch, Waldorf Salad, Mesclun Salad with Dates and Goat Cheese, Chopped Greek Salad, Broccoli Carrot Slaw with Cranberries and Sunflower Seeds, Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad, Lemony Lentil and Quinoa Salad, Summer Salmon Panzanella, Summer Vegetable Orzo Soup, Sweet Potato Bisque with West Indian Spices, Winter Squash and Goat Cheese Enchiladas, Eggplant Parmesan Melts, Easy Ratatouille with Poached Eggs, Lentil, Mushroom and Kale Burritos, and Farfalle with Tuna and Tomatoes

Recipes I want to try: Whole-Grain Blueberry Maple Muffins, Multigrain Cranberry Breakfast Cookies, Chewy Cherry Granola Bars, Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup, Tabbouleh Soup with Lentils and Bulgur, Green Club Sandwich (with hummus, avocado and watercress), Spicy Salsa Joes, Greek Pizza, Speedy Black Bean an Quinoa Skillet, Spicy Skillet Chicken with Avocado Mango Salsa, Wagon Wheels with Broccoli, Turkey and Parmesan, Soba with Shrimp, LIme and Cilantro, Spiced Date Bread, Pumpkin Biscuits, Maple Oat Drop Scones, Decadent Chocolate Cake, Whole Wheat Maple Applesauce Cake, Spiced Carrot Cake with Currants, Maple Pumpkin Micro-Pies, and Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies and Cocoa Truffles made with dates.

All the recipes include nutritional information and cooking tips. And you'll find informative health notes and superfoods highlights scattered throughout the book. There's also a very useful chart on cooking whole grains that provides grain/water ratios, cooking times, and expected yield, which I keep meaning to copy and stick on the fridge for easy reference.

There are not lots of pictures, but the 25 full-page photos appearing in the middle are mouthwatering.

5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking covers all the bases, with recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, bread and snacks. Chapters include:

Breakfasts
Fish and Seafood Main Dishes
Multigrain Pasta and Noodles
Side Dishes
Natural Sugar Sweets

This is a very useful, cookbook for those of us wanting to eat healthy food that is also easy and delicious. In 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness, Camilla shows us how to make wholesome food that is simple and creative, familiar yet interesting.

by Editors of Cooking Light Magazine
Price: $20.91
68 used & new from $2.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful & Informative, February 21, 2012
As soon as I spotted Cooking Light Way to Bake: The Complete Visual Guide to Healthy Baking - delicious recipes, fresh healthy ingredients, smart tools & techniques a few months back I knew I wanted to take it home and add it to my ever-expanding cookbook collection.

As the editors explain, "Cooking Light Way to Bake is a celebration of the joy of baking and the pleasure healthier baked treats can bring. Light baking has its own set of techniques, and this book is filled with more than 600 full-color photos showing you exactly how to prepare a wide variety of delectable baked goods, so you get perfect results every time you bake."

This book is perfect for anyone wanting to learn to bake in a lighter and healthier way, without sacrificing flavor and texture, which is what Cooking Light is all about.

Lighter baking can be tricky so technique is important. The book teaches the secrets to light baking success and includes hundreds of tips, as well as, nutrition information.

Chapters Include, Way to Bake; Muffins & Quick Breads; Biscuits & Scones; Waffles, Pancakes & Crepes; Cookies & Biscotti, Bars & Squares; Cakes & Cupcakes; Pies, Tarts, Cobblers & Pastries; Custard, Puddings & Souffles; and Yeast Breads

Here's what I especially love about Cooking Light Way to Bake:

Chapter 1 - "Way to bake" which provides loads of helpful information on ingredients, techniques and equipment.

Photos - This book is filled with gorgeous photos and lots of step-by-step photo demonstrations of various techniques from baking a batch of biscuits to whipping up a souffle.

Easy Great Tasting Recipes - The recipes in this book are doable even for beginners. The instructions are clear and the steps are straightforward. And more importantly, the results taste great.

Nutritional Information - Now that I'm back with Weight Watchers, this is important for me to be able to calculate the PointsPlus values of what I am baking and eating.

This is a great book for anyone who is interested in making healthier lower-fat baked goods that deliver delicious results.

Yoga Chi For Energy
Yoga Chi For Energy
DVD ~ Suzanne Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Beginners of All Ages & Abilities, February 21, 2012
This review is from: Yoga Chi For Energy (DVD)
First, I'm a huge yoga advocate. I began doing yoga in my 30's to help with low back pain and sciatica and I've been hooked ever since.

Many people are under the misconception that yoga is just for the young, athletic and/or flexible, so I'm always excited to discover and share information about yoga DVDs that are accessible to beginners or all ages and abilities. Yoga Chi For Energy by Suzanne Andrews is just such a DVD.

Yoga Chi for Energy combines basic yoga poses with flowing tai chi movements to create a gentle invigorating workout appropriate for beginning exercisers of all ages, sizes, and abilities. Think of it as `Yoga Light.'

Suzanne Andrews is an occupational therapist and functional fitness expert who lost 60 pounds since beginning to practice yoga. Her practical approach to functional fitness coupled with her sincere desire to help others discover the powerful physical, mental, and emotional benefits of yoga creates a routine to vitalize your body, mind, and spirit.

Set beside a lake, this one-hour program is divided into:

Part 1: A 7-minute warm-up and breathing exercises to get your blood flowing.

Part 2: A 21 minute rejuvenating workout of standing poses designed to strengthen and tone while improving balance. This is a total body series incorporating movements for both the upper and lower body.

Part 3: A 13-minute routine of floor exercises to stretch and strengthen your core.

Part 4: The final segment is an 11 minute relaxing guided meditation set before a fireplace with soothing background music.

Bonuses include a non-narrated 11-minute energizing workout and a 4-minute introduction to the power of laughing yoga.

The pace of this DVD is slow and controlled with lots of expert instruction to keep you safe and motivated. Modifications for some of the more challenging poses, such as downward facing dog, are demonstrated. It's a fun, accessible workout appropriate for all ages and abilities that will leave you feeling refreshed, not depleted.

Yoga Chi For Energy helps prove what I believe: Everyone - not just dancers and athletes - can benefit from practicing yoga - when done in a slow, controlled and safe way.

by Camilla V. Saulsbury
Price: $17.13
93 used & new from $2.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Muffins, June 14, 2011
750 Best Muffin Recipes: Everything from breakfast classics to gluten-free, vegan and coffeehouse favorites by Camilla V. Saulsbury is quickly becoming one of my favorite new cookbooks. And I'm not alone. (As I write this the book has a over 30 reviews on Amazon.com and they're all five stars.)

It's full of a remarkable variety of both classic and creative muffin recipes from scratch. Once you begin baking muffins from this book, you'll never have to depend on muffins from a box again.

Muffins are one of my favorite things to bake. They're a great choice whenever you get the urge to bake because they are so quick and easy.

This is a wonderful cookbook for all levels of bakers. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. There are 24 pages of full sized pictures of the finished products to tempt you.

All the muffins I've made so far have been extremely easy and turned out perfectly. Favorites to date include the best basic muffins, whole wheat applesauce muffins and Boston brown bread muffins. I can't wait to try the chocolate macaroon muffins, when I'm feeling decadent.

750 Best Muffin Recipes begins with everything you need to know to master from scratch muffin making including information about key ingredients and essential equipment, as well as baking tips and advice. The author's writing style is warm and engaging.

Chapters include:

Top 25 Classic Muffins:Think basic muffins with straightforward flavors - blueberry, pumpkin and bran - for example.

Breakfast Muffins: Over 80 recipes for muffins that are perfect for breakfast - granola muffins, oatmeal muffins, jelly doughnut muffins - and many many more.

Coffeehouse Muffins: Decadent, special, indulgent and unexpected are words that come to mind to describe the muffin recipes that include caramel apple, blueberry streusel, orange marmalade, coconut almond joyful, pecan pie and cappuccino.

Lunch and Supper Muffins: Recipes for savory muffins that make perfect accompaniments to soups, stews, chili and salads. If you think muffins are just for breakfast this chapter will change your mind. I can't wait to try the roasted pepper feta, Parmesan, herb and pesto and rye supper muffins.

Farmer's Market Muffins: Recipes inspired by the local season produce found in farmer's markets are what you'll find here. The dozens of options include fresh gooseberry muffins, strawberry rhubarb muffins, chocolate basil muffins and kale toasted walnut.

Global Muffins: This chapter is full of recipes for muffins with flavors from around the world such as rum and coconut, Scottish oat, golden olive oil, sesame ginger, tahini and linzer raspberry almond.

Superfood Muffins: A collection of super healthy muffin recipes including cranberry multigrain, maple squash, zucchini oat and quinoa raisin. This is my favorite chapter so far.

Gluten-Free Muffins: 150 recipes for gluten free muffins, both sweet and savory. Most are made with a gluten free flour blend made from brown rice four, potato starch and tapioca starch that is included at the beginning of the book.

Vegan Muffins: An extensive collection of vegan muffin recipes, both sweet and savory. Tasty options include applesauce raisin, raspberry vanilla, agave, rhubarb, banana, lemon polenta and blueberry.

I think this is a terrific cookbook at a great price written by a gifted writer and recipe developer. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to expand their muffin making repertoire.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2013 9:55 AM PST

Best-Ever Cookies Cookbook: Cookies 'round the calendar…yummy, easy-to-make favorites for all occasions! (Everyday Cookbook Collection)
Price: $9.39

1.0 out of 5 stars This review for Kindle Version Only, May 3, 2011
First let me say that I am a long time fan of Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. My dissatisfaction is not with the content of this book, but with the way it is formatted for the Kindle. I downloaded it on a whim last night, as is all to easy with the Kindle, looking for some cookie baking inspiration.

Unfortunately, this book has no Table of Contents or Index making it a completely useless cooking resource. I have a couple of other Gooseberry Patch books on my Kindle that do have table of contents and indexes so not sure how this was overlooked in Best Easy Cookies. Needless to say, I am disappointed that I have no way of referencing recipes I might like to make. I hope this is corrected in an electronic update.

Mom's Very Best Recipes Cookbook: Over very best collection of tried & true family-favorite recipes from Mom's recipe box. (Everyday Cookbook Collection)
Price: $9.39

1.0 out of 5 stars This Review for Kindle Version Only, May 3, 2011
First let me say that I am a long time fan of Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. My dissatisfaction is not with the content of this book, but with the way it is formatted for the Kindle. It has no Table of Contents or Index making it a completely useless cooking resource. I have a couple of other Gooseberry Patch books on my Kindle that do have table of contents and indexes so not sure how this was overlooked. Needless to say, I am disappointed that I have no way of referencing recipes I might like to make. I hope this is corrected in an electronic update.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2013 1:21 PM PDT