Profile for Robin Landry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 321

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robin Landry "singer/songwriter" RSS Feed (Maple Valley, WA United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PAIGE Women's Verdugo Ultra Skinny Jean, Black Shadow, 25
PAIGE Women's Verdugo Ultra Skinny Jean, Black Shadow, 25
Price: $126.75
2 used & new from $126.75

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite brand of jeans, October 24, 2014
These jeans fit perfectly, and are soft and stretchy and didn't turn the rest of my laundry black when I washed them in cold water. I am 5'2'' and I bought them in size 25. They need to be hemmed which is normal. I usually by ankle length jeans which them fit me as regular jeans.

The color is inky black, so they almost look like leggings. I've tried black jeans before but it's hard to find the perfect black(crazy as that sounds). These jeans are just perfect. They sit few inches below my belly button and cover all that needs covering in the back. These are mom jeans while still being hip. And they are by far the most comfortable jeans I own, and just about the only brand I ever buy now.

Very dressy, while still being comfortable. I'd like to start handing out flyers for these jeans whenever I see someone out in public in flannel pajamas(the airport was the last time and it was a middle aged woman, yikes!). Be comfortable but look pulled together.

PAIGE Women's Jane Zip Ultra Skinny Jean, Easton, 26
PAIGE Women's Jane Zip Ultra Skinny Jean, Easton, 26
Price: $209.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite brand of jeans, October 23, 2014
Paige jeans were recommended to me by a friend and I've been a loyal buyer of this brand ever since. They fit perfectly, not to high, not to low, and the material is so soft and stretchy that it's almost like wearing leggings. They really flatter a woman's figure and the wide variety of colors and fits make Paige jeans perfect for any of your 'jean' occasions.

This particular cut has a zipper on the ankle and I bought a size 26. I'm 5'2" and the ankle comes to just over my ankle bone, not above it like the picture shows. I'm sure a smaller size would fix that problem but alas--that's not in my near future. But since I wouldn't have been able to hem these jeans, and I really wanted a zipper on the side to mix things up in my jean wardrobe, these jeans are just perfect. The color is soft and beautiful giving these jeans a relaxed yet dressy look(is there such a thing?)

Love Paige jeans and love my new pair with the front zipper.

Gray Mountain: A Novel
Gray Mountain: A Novel
by John Grisham
Price: $17.37
69 used & new from $14.07

5.0 out of 5 stars real life writ large, October 23, 2014
This review is from: Gray Mountain: A Novel (Hardcover)
Another great book by one of my favorite authors. What I love about John Grisham, besides that he always writes a compelling and character-rich story, is that he gives us the 'behind the curtain' view of what goes on in America by way of our court system. How something might be lawful to do, but immoral that the same time. In Gray Mountain, Donovan uses whatever tactics the big coal companies use to defend his clients, which feels like the right thing to do. As MJK once said, it's our duty to disobey immoral laws.

In this particular story, Grisham uses a female protagonist, something I can't remember him ever doing before, and Samantha is quite a wonderful heroine. Set in during the meltdown of the 2008 banking scandal, Samantha is given a choice of either being fired from her job(she's an associate in a large firm) or being furloughed with a promise of being hired back at her same position, if she volunteers for a year at a non-profit.

At first Samantha is stunned at being fired, but quickly learns that the non-profits are being snapped up by the thousands of lawyers now hitting the streets of New York. To her dismay, Samantha finds that she's been told no to 10 non-profits that weren't even going to pay her. She quickly regains her footing and says yes to a non-profit in West Virginia and drives out to her new home in the sticks defending the poorest of the poor. From collection agency to spousal abuse, Samantha finds herself defending real people who need her, as apposed to her previous life of defending rich builders who she despises.

Being a Grisham novel, you know there's going to be a big case and a vicious court room brawl with a giant-blood-sucking corporation(coal mining) again a dirt poor defendant, and this book is no disappointment. It's hard not to sympathize with the men wanting jobs, even if it's ruining their both the environment and their health. The questions asked, are not simple. I could not put this book down.

I was curious about mountain-top-removal(a way to mine coal more quickly and cheaply) so I went on GoogleEarth and pointed it at West Virginia. I was appalled at what I saw. It's just as Grisham described. Whole tops of mountains are bare with only large bodies of dark water(?) standing there alone on the barren landscape. Knowing that our fresh water comes from rain/snow falling on mountains and trickling down in streams and rivers, I can only imagine how putrid and toxic the water must be in the areas of strip mining. I can only hope that we invent new ways to power our lives because while I think this is a horrible practice, I also want my electricity.

The Wonder of All Things
The Wonder of All Things
Price: $10.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story--Great writing, October 20, 2014
I really loved Jason Mott's writing. It's almost poetic and full of heart making it a joy to read. I almost felt like the story was secondary to his beautiful writing and spot-on characters who live and breathe in his book. While not all that suspenseful, The Wonder of All Things still surprised me in unexpected ways. Mott leaves a lot of his characters 'uncovered' which gave me room as a reader to fill in the blanks. And the way he set up his characters, I had no problem believing their motivations, leaving their actions inevitable.

This is the story of a young girl who displays a gift for healing after her best friend is mortally wounded following the small town's air show. Once Ava heals Wash, her life is never the same, and can never be the same which is the idea that Mott explores in his novel. Or, as I like to say, 'no good deed goes unpunished'.

Desperate people flock to the small town to bring Ava their sick and wounded, revealing their true selves to the world. Lacking in faith, they try threaten to pull Ava apart in their grasping fear and lack of hope. With so much attention on her gift, Ava recoils from the crowds, hiding the fact she's draining away herself.

Ava's father, the town sheriff is lost as to what to do about his daughter. He doesn't want to lose her to the world, but questions whether she owes the world her gift. The conflict in this good man is dealt with beautifully by the author and rang true for me as a parent.

The Wonder of All Things will remain in my memory for a long time. It's a great book for a book club because there are so many questions to think about and discuss. This is the story of what it means to be human and fear the unknown, especially death.

The Little Ladybug
The Little Ladybug
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet book, October 18, 2014
This is a sweet book with vivid and colorful illustrations. The message is about bullying and trying to fit in, one that children can all relate to. The story is told in rhyme and while some of the rhyming was spot on, some of it was a tiny bit awkward.

The story starts off with a lady bug wishing for a friend. He goes out into the world an starts approaching other bugs to see if any want to be his friend. The bee is too busy, the butterfly doesn't need him, and the aphids make fun of the lady bug. What starts off as a sunny, hopeful day, starts to look bleak. In the illustrations, Amelia May draws a cloud starting to cover the sun.

Finally, the lady bug finds a lost ant and helps him find his way home. The ant is grateful and agrees to be the lady bug's friend because of the his thoughtfulness and caring attitude. Great message and an overall sweet book. The fact that the author illustrated the book too, is a nice touch.

The Search for Divine Justice
The Search for Divine Justice
by T. Lee Baumann
Price: $13.04
8 used & new from $13.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Tackles the hard questions, October 16, 2014
I really enjoy T. Lee Baumann's work. As a doctor, he's a man of science and someone who searches outside of science for the answers to the important questions, like where do we go after death, what is light, and who is God and why do bad things happen on his watch.

In The Search for Divine Justice, Baumann tries to answer questions that have plagued mankind for our entire existence. If God is all love, and watches every sparrow, then how can he let our children die? How can he let children be born less than perfect and suffer their whole lives for it. Does God enjoy our suffering? Or is this the price of free will, which still doesn't answer the questions sufficiently. We may have free will, but why do some people start off with great parents-looks-and talent, while others are born with little or nothing and no chance of life getting any better?

Chapter by chapter, Baumann tries to answer, chapter by chapter, these same questions. He studies each religion, he goes through natural disasters, and why bad things happen to good people. He gives us the history of Karma and Reincarnation to a very satisfying degree.

Baumann talks about incomprehensible evil and mentions Hitler, but was I was disappointed that he didn't mention Stalin who killed his own people and 2-3 times as many as Hitler, and the fact that we were on the side of the greater evil during WWII.

If you know anyone struggling with religion--someone who's questioning why God lets bad things happen to those he supposedly loves, then this a very good comprehensive study of the subject. Baumann treats each religion fairly, siting passages from the holy books of many of them giving the reader space to draw their own conclusions.

A modern day philosopher, Baumann gives his ideas clearly in a way that's easy to understand that for me is the hallmark of someone who knows their subject intimately.

The Truth About Mars: An Eyewitness Account
The Truth About Mars: An Eyewitness Account
by Ernest L. Norman

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmmm . . . ., October 13, 2014
While the Truth About Mars is intereresting, it does sound like a 50's utopian movie, and not a place I'd like to live. If the Martians are so perfect, why don't they get their scientific act together and start terra-forming the surface of their planet? Surely they can use some excitement in their perfect world. I would find it a bit boring, personally.

Here are a few questions I'd ask them. Do you guys have spaceships? Did you fire on the Russian probe that was sent your way years back? Are your two moons natural satellites or are they man made and purely defensive?

And if I were the Martians, I'd put things in front of our rover to mess with us, but that's just me. Maybe the Martians are humorless.

I actually bought this short book because it was featured on Coast to Coast Am, by a guy whose name escapes me at the moment, and it sounded like a serious book. And maybe it is serious, but why is the planet Mars associate with war? Why are the two moons named fear and loathing? Surely these happy people would be appalled to know what we think of them.

But if you're intererested in this book, here's what's in it.
1. Contact With Planet Mars
2. An Astral Flight Through Space
3. The Underground Cities of Mars
4. Martian Science and Technology
5. The Martian Society
6. Science and Philosophy
7. The Supernova Connection

I found the last chapter to be the best. Apparently a sun went supernova and since the Martians had some big telescopes, they had 200 years before any of the debris hit our solar system. They used that time to build an entire civilization underground where they now live.

Maybe Ernest L. Norman's account is true, and I'm just jaded, and if so, we need to do some of the things they've done to make their civilization to peaceful. We could really use the advice.

A King of Infinite Space (Long Beach Homicide)
A King of Infinite Space (Long Beach Homicide)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars suspenseful, October 12, 2014
I am really loving Tyler Dilts series of mysteries starring Danny Beckett and his partner Jen. The camaraderie and hints of something else, give depth and humanity to the great characters of the Long Beach Homicide series. Danny is so wounded, yet he finds the strength and passion to get up every day to right the wrongs of the world, as if every case is personal. Turns out this case is personal.

Elizabeth Williams is a dedicated, high school English teacher who is stabbed to death in her classroom. Three men are fingered for the crime, but to Danny, none of them really fit. One is actually charged with the crime and the high profile case is closed--but not for Danny. He has ties to Elizabeth, though he has no idea how, or why, but he won't sleep(literally) until he discovers who killed the innocent and beautiful young woman.

Danny struggles throughout the novel with is growing dependence on ways to blot out the pain of his wife's death. He dreams about the accident and watches her burn to death in her car. Probably where his insomnia stems from. Jen, his partner, is Danny's rock. I find her character intriguing because there's so little said about her, other than she's a martial arts expert and seems to know a whole lot about life without giving away the how.

The book was so suspenseful that I found myself unable to put it down until I finished and knew just 'who done it'. I have to say that I did guess near the end because the author gave out plenty of clues if the reader were paying attention, like any good crime writer. This is my second Tyler Dilts book and I'm sure I'm going to be reading more of his wonderful work.

ALDEBARAN: PLANET OF THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL BEINGS OF LIGHT
ALDEBARAN: PLANET OF THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL BEINGS OF LIGHT
Price: $1.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, October 10, 2014
If you've read you'd read de Lafayette's book "Anunnaki Ultimatum", then you don't need this book. A description of Alderbaran is given in the Ultimative book, when the main character is taken up into the world of the Anunnaki, where she gives a description of the planet of the Anunnaki, which is what this book is about.

Frankly, the Anunnaki world seems a little too good to be true, except for the fact that there are no animals, only cats, butterflies and birds. Seems pretty boring after a world like ours. Maybe other worlds aren't as full of different kinds of life as our little planet, which would be a big disappointment to me.

Alderbaran starts off with a table of contents which sucks the reader in by such phrases as 'scanning your brain, Extraterrestrial Karma, reconstructing DNA, cosmic codes and information. I know I was excited to read on.

Next came a definition: it's the brightest star in the Hyades(isn't that hell?), it's a giant red star in the constellation of Taurus, and on and on. Alderbaran is also known as Ashtari, and Alpha Tauri, and it's 65 light years from Earth. "Alderbaran was nicknamed "The Follower" since it rises after the Pleiades cluster of stars." loc. 76-534

What's really interesting to me was how the name Alderbaran is echoed in the Arabic language and it means 'he who moved away, who left, who traveled". loc. 89 of 534 The writer goes on to give us more meanings for Aldebaran(Ashtari) in Hindu, Phhoenician, and Persian. I find that when all of these ancient languages line up, then there must be a truth there somewhere.

In the Bible, the Israelites were punished for forgetting about Yahweh and making a golden calf to worship. Funny that Alderbaran is in the constellation of the bull. Could they have wanted to get away from Jehovah and go back to bull worship? Did the bull represent the Anunnaki? Who sound a whole lot more enlightened than Jehovah who was jealous of the other gods.

The short book gives a full description of the planet along with a description of the two small planets where a less evolved people live who are considered inferior because they eat meat and fight. Oops. Sounds like us.

The Anunnaki have black eyes and black hair, though the higher caste have light black hair(huh?) and blue eyes. From here you have the story Maria who was taken to Alderbaran to marry and have a child. She lived on the planet for years and then went back to Earth to continue her life.

If you're interested in the best description of a foreign world you could get outside a first rate science fiction novel, then Alderbaran is the book for. It's quite imaginative, though I don't know how much I can believe.

Above
Above
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $11.04

4.0 out of 5 stars unforgettable, October 7, 2014
This review is from: Above (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the premise of this book. Young girl is kidnapped by dooms-dayer, and taken underground into a bomb silo in Kansas. Isla Morley gives the reader suspense at it's finest. I could hardly put this book down for the first half. For the second half, I kept waiting for something to happen. For some reason, the novel lost it's urgency, though I was so involved with the wonderful characters that I kept reading at the same frantic pace.

Blythe, the sixteen year old who's kidnapped, is so honest in her musings over her ordeal. Some horrible things happen and she escapes reality for a while, but her blind anger/fear/terror/disbelief at her capture, leaves her blind to the fact that nothing is as black and white as she believes it to be.

This is the kind of novel that makes an excellent discussion for readers' groups. There are no clear cut bad/good guys, and you could spend hours on just one of the ideas that the author brings up, like what if freedom? And do we always want to be free? That hate can tie us down and only forgiveness can set us free. Love too can tie us down, but we don't want freedom from the things that we deem as good.

Plato's idea that we can't trust our five senses because they only give life to illusions that only things that are good can be real. And what's good is intangible, immaterial, coming from the spirit world, a place our five sense can't reach.

Morley writes with such depth and beauty, though sometimes the flashbacks could be confusing. A suspense novel needs to be a little clearer so the action can take center stage, not the inside voice of the characters. Of course this is just my opinion and Above certainly kept my attention for the first half.

Above is a book I might not recommend for everyone because it does have a certain, unapologetic darkness, but for my more discerning book-lovers(one I want to impress) I'd certainly recommend Above. And for any book club that would have me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20