Profile for Robin Landry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 380

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robin Landry "singer/songwriter" RSS Feed (Maple Valley, WA United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 4-6 (Oliver and Jumpy, the cat series)
Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 4-6 (Oliver and Jumpy, the cat series)
Price: $2.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids will love it, July 4, 2015
If you're looking for morally based, well-written stories with engaging characters, these books are just the ticket. The illustrations are bright and cheery and sure to have children gazing at them in delight. The main characters are a pair of unlikely friends, Oliver the Cat, Jumpy the kangaroo and Joey, her baby. Oliver is a bit of a know-it-all but always comes through in a pinch. Here's a summary of the three short stories.

The friends are playing golf when a gofer pops up out of a hole telling them that he's found something amazing. The friends go down the gofer's hole and end up in fairyland.

Another story tells of an adventure on a river cruise, and the last story is about a picnic on the breach where monkeys steal Joey and won't give him back until Oliver ends up giving up all of their picnic food to the monkeys in exchange for Joey.

Great illustrations and wonderful stories.

Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 13-15 (Oliver and Jumpy, the cat series)
Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 13-15 (Oliver and Jumpy, the cat series)
Price: $2.51

5.0 out of 5 stars bed time story-perfect, July 3, 2015
More wonderful stories with bright and vivid illustrations by Werner Stejskal. More adventures with Oliver the cat and his friend Jumpy the kangaroo. In these three stories, we have Oliver babysitting a baby bear who hides so well he has to be rescued, a sad mama tiger who finds a most unusual way to curb her depression, and a trip to the school of magic.

Each story contains an important lesson; one is how our differences allow us to be heroes, how age-old enemies can be friends under dire circumstances, and fun with magic. I've read a few of the other Oliver and Jumpy stories and I've found that these moral lessons are always part of the story without being preachy which I'm sure would turn kids off. The colorful pictures almost overload the senses, but are perfect for young children. The print is too small for a new reader to see, and too tightly spaced, but perfect for an adult to read.

Perfect books for young children. Everything I'd be looking for in a bed time story book.

Pink Tears: Best Children's Book Award (Ages 3-9)
Pink Tears: Best Children's Book Award (Ages 3-9)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars it's okay to cry, July 2, 2015
I really enjoyed this book for showing its young readers that holding in emotions, can only make you sadder than whatever made you sad in the first place. Simple message, told simply with very cute pictures. Everywhere, in our modern society, you see pills advertised to help you deal with emotions(mostly depression), I can't help but think that children are seeing, and hearing these messages which basically say that feeling bad is a bad thing.

I have this book in the Kindle formate, but I'm going to see if I can find it in a paperback so that I can give it to my friends with young children. maybe the parents will get the message too. Crying is okay and can make you feel better(it has been found that we have stress hormones in our tears). And if you can cry with a good friend, that's even better.

Great message for children and adults.

KONG Naturals Incline Scratcher Cat Toy
KONG Naturals Incline Scratcher Cat Toy
Price: $7.79
35 used & new from $6.09

5.0 out of 5 stars works great, July 2, 2015
This cat toy as saved my chair! And couch, curtains and sanity! I can't say enough about this slant board, it works and I would never be without one. Every cat scratches and I'm amazed that people don't get that cats have to scratch. You can't cure them with this toy you can get them to leave your furniture alone(unless you sprinkle cat nip all over).

I just pour a little of the cat nip onto the cardboard and it sinks right into the holes and my cat goes straight to work on it. I have one of these behind every chair and couch I own because my little cat(Beelzebub, at least that's what the cat-sitter calls her)is very active and very destructive. When I let her out of her room in the morning, she hits the scratching post first thing and then starts looking for photographs to lick(weird and so far no cure for that bad habit).

I totally recommend this board. I've had others that just lie on the floor, but this type is the best. The toy inside is not something she has played with even once, but maybe it's because she's old, or because she only likes to kill things.

Mr. Mercedes: A Novel
Mr. Mercedes: A Novel
by Stephen King
Price: $11.64
108 used & new from $5.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, July 2, 2015
This review is from: Mr. Mercedes: A Novel (Paperback)
I've always been a huge King fan and I enjoyed his down-to-earth suspense novel about a clown who runs over a crowd waiting in the unemployment line(as if these poor saps didn't have enough problems . . . ), but there were some slow moments so it's not 5 stars like most of his other novels. You really need to read this novel before going onto the same characters in Finder's Keepers. I didn't and I really missed a lot because King didn't explain his characters in Finder's, which would have made them far more enjoy able.

This is a plain old detective novel, with a middle-aged white guy as the lead, newly retired Bill Hodges who can't seem to find happiness without seeing dead people every day, so he contemplates becoming a statistic himself by way of his service revolver. Once the Mercedes killer contacts him with a letter, Hodges finds his mojo again and starts trying to catch the clown before he can do any more damage. Having already driven a couple of women to suicide, the Mercedes Killer-clown figures that Hodges is ripe for the picking and asks him to join a private Internet chat room. Hodges should call it in, but he decides that he needs to solve the case himself and that's when things start their down hill trajectory.

King's strength is in his characters. I believe that we'll have english classes studying this man sometime in the future when he's not around making scads of money(which brands you as a non-intellectual for sure). Hodges Internet chats with clown-boy are delicious. The only time King falls apart in this novel, for me, is how some of his characters are just too precious. Jerome, the brilliant 17 year-old black neighbor who's headed for Harvard(or some Ivy League school) goes into some sort of jive-talk that gets annoying pretty quickly. But the internal dialogue of the clown-boy-killer is shockingly real(or what I guess is real for a serial killer), and King doesn't pull any punches with what he says.

Stephen King always satisfies me as a reader and I'm never afraid to pick up one of his books. This one kept my attention to the end, though it wasn't one of those stay-up-all-night-novels.

Limited Edition Premium Leather Cover for Kindle Paperwhite
Limited Edition Premium Leather Cover for Kindle Paperwhite
Price: $69.99
4 used & new from $62.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, July 1, 2015
This cover is a rich brown suede that feels good in my hands and looks amazing. My Kindle fits into the case perfectly with no straps and I can remover my Kindle easily. The case puts my Kindle in sleep-mode and wakes it up when I open it up. The case uses a magnetic(I think) latch which you can see on the picture, which is easy to handle and allows the you to just flip your book open as easily as a hardback book.

I've had other cases and this is the lightest and prettiest so far. The feel is like a good moleskin notebook, which makes reading all the more pleasurable(as if it could be). I had been going without a cover on my Kindle for months and ended up with a small crack on my screen. I thought it would bother me, but so far it doesn't. If it gets any worse, I'll have to buy another Kindle, but at least I have a great cover now.

This case is expensive, but I'm willing to pay for quality and with this case, I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. Like a fine leather purse, this case just feels good to use. I'm very happy that I spent the extra money for it.

Perfjohn Egf Stem Cell Anti Aging Cream
Perfjohn Egf Stem Cell Anti Aging Cream
Offered by Perfjohn Skin Care Beauty Shop
Price: $90.00

5.0 out of 5 stars works wonderfully, June 29, 2015
This moisturizer goes on beautifully, and works well to make my skin just a little brighter, and my wrinkles less noticeable. The ingredients are almost perfect, with Vitamin B5, Shea butter oil, stem cell extract(which has to help because the skin on the face turns over so quickly), EGF factor, Hyaluronic Acid(binds water and lubricates parts), gold flake(to add a glow?) Xantham Gum(a gelling compound and thickener)Amino Acid(building blocks), and Parfum(light scent), water and Butylene Glycol(which was my only objection. Used as to give a product the right consistency and to bind the ingredients together, it is a petroleum product and I wished a more natural product had been used, though this is said to be harmless).

Egf Stem cell serum comes in a pump bottle which gives you just the right amount(one pump per side of face), smells very nice, and has a great consistency. It sinks right into the skin yet is not greasy, and I'm able to layer on my foundation and sunscreen and still not feel like I have too much on my skin. For the price, this is a wonderful product, comparable to the same seaweed-gold flecked-over-priced department store serums. I've found that these type of serums do work, and finding one that isn't over the top expensive is wonderful.

I was given a bottle to try for review purposes but I would happily but this serum again. Very nice.

PROFESSIONAL PRUNING SHEARS - Black Pro Grade Bypass Pruner for Home and Garden Landscaped Luxury - The Perfect Hand Pruners for Gardening Greatness - Versatile, Razor Sharp, Durable: Garden Clippers, Tree Trimmers, Flower Shears, Secateurs and Sexy Snippers Backed By A Planted Perfect Lifetime Guarantee!
Offered by Vinci International
Price: $18.97
2 used & new from $18.97

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent shears, June 29, 2015
I love well-made tools and these shears are excellent. They are so sharp that I actually used them to cut some tags(the cotton string type) off of some new clothes because I couldn't find my scissors and my shears were sitting right there. My old shears would have just gummed the string to death.

I've used them to cut some 1/2 inch diameter branches on a tree, and some delicate stocks on a plant that had finished flowering. So far these shears have worked perfectly on everything. They are light-weight(for me) and fit into my hand nicely(I'm petite). I've been through many sets of shears through the years and so far, these have been my favorite. They lock down with a metal latch between the handles to keep them safe and then open up easily.

I am always willing to pay for good tools, and these shears were very reasonable. I'm very happy with my new shears. They make gardening just a little easier and less like work.

Beyond Tangy Tangerine 2.0(1 lb)
Beyond Tangy Tangerine 2.0(1 lb)
Offered by Wellness-World
Price: $64.50
16 used & new from $58.00

5.0 out of 5 stars works, June 24, 2015
I first heard abut this vitamin on the radio show Coast to Coast and since everything the guest said made sense, I went onto the CriticalHealth site and ordered it for myself. I have not been disappointed and this is now my new multi-vitamin.

While the vitamins seem to really give me a great deal of energy(really high B vitamins), I can't say that it's tasty. Maybe it's the stevia, which replaces any sugar, but I'm not a fan of that particular sweetener, which tastes like an artificial sweetener. On the plus side, taking a multiple vitamin in a liquid form really seems to be the way to go. I feel as if I have a lot more energy, and this particular multivitamin has a lot more minerals that any other I've ever taken. It also contains probiotics and digestive enzymes which I really appreciate because I have a few less vitamins to take in the morning.

I only take one tablespoon a day because this particular vitamin is based on weight. I always wondered why no one else has thought of this. Why would I take as much as someone who might weigh as much as three times more than I do. I go through about one of these containers a month, but I would think that it would normally last someone two to three weeks which might be spendy for a vitamin. But, on the other hand, I really feel like it helps me stay well, so I'm more than willing to pay for prevention.

I did let a friend of mine take a days worth of this vitamin and he said that he felt energy right away from his two scoops. He also said that he would also buy it for himself.

The Big Miss: My Years Coaching Tiger Woods
The Big Miss: My Years Coaching Tiger Woods
by Hank D. Haney
Price: $13.24
81 used & new from $5.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating portrait of a champion, June 24, 2015
I have to admit that I bought this book more for the gossip aspect, but enjoyed it for the insight into an elite athlete whose career I've followed since the beginning. When Tiger first won the Masters, he seemed invincible in a sport that didn't allow anyone to dominate for long. Then when he fell from grace and seemingly couldn't find his way back either professionally or personally, I was more than curious as to why. Hank Haney gives us insight into Tiger's greatness, and the 'why' behind the fall. If character dictates fate, then it would seem inevitable that Tiger couldn't sustain his dominance forever, or in the golf world, not really than long when you look at the careers of some of the other great players.

Whether Haney should have written about Tiger is open for dispute, but I'm glad he did. This is not a tell-all book as much as it is an insight into one of the greatest golfers to ever swing a club. Maybe it should have been written after Tiger has left the earth, but then I would have missed it and I'm really glad I had the chance to see what it takes to make a champion. Haney coached Tiger for six years, and yet he was still in awe of Tiger, putting up with Tiger's anti-social behavior because of it. "It went along with the sense of destiny his father had passed to him--that he was put on this earth to do something extraordinary with his special qualities, to "let the legend grow". But those qualities, foremost among them an extraordinary ability to focus and stay calm under stress, also included selfishness, obsessiveness, stubbornness, coldness, ruthlessness, pettiness, and cheapness. When they were all at work in the competitive arena, they helped him win. And winning gave him permission to remain a flawed and in some ways an immature person. . . I was one of Tiger's enablers." page 132

I find this the most telling statement into Tiger's personality, and anyone else who's found some measure of fame. Take away the money and fame, and people wouldn't put up with Tiger's personality flaws and he's either have to change or be alone. The same thing seems to happen to child stars where no one is willing to tell them no, and too many of them eventually self-destruct. Tiger's problems with women says it all. He dates women who will never say no. It's a sad commentary on how we ruin our idols almost as quickly as we build them up.

"When I told him(Ken Hitchcock) Tiger's military fixation, he said very confidently that it related to Earl being an ex-soldier. "It happens a lot with our players," he said. "Their father's die, and they have the urge to go back to their hometowns and do what their dads did: work in a coal mine, fix cars, whatever. It usually lasts six months." Ken pointed out that baseball had been Michael Jordan's father's favorite sport." page 144

Haney gives us every scorecard Tiger every filled out while under Haney's tutelage, and for golf fans, this is the ultimate book. After watching Tiger on television during his tournaments, you can read this book and find out what kind of training Tiger did, and how he felt about many of the wins and loses, and injuries(mostly done while training with Navy Seals).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20