Profile for Robin Landry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 317

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robin Landry "singer/songwriter" RSS Feed (Maple Valley, WA United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Still With You: 10 True Stories of Dealing with Grief
Still With You: 10 True Stories of Dealing with Grief
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Travelogue to Heaven, September 30, 2014
I really do love these types of books. Based on true stories of people who've lost loved ones, and the contact they've made afterwards. There are also stories of those who've had Near Death Experiences, and have been cured of the cancer they were dying of afterwards, which bring authenticity to the idea that we do live beyond the death of our bodies.

There's a story of a woman suffering the debilitating grief that comes with losing a child, and her journey to finding peace. When this woman is told to look for signs from her sixteen year old daughter who'd passed, the woman finally acknowledged that the smell of vanilla had permeated her house for weeks. Her daughter had always loved the smell of vanilla and had asked her mother to bake cookies so she could smell it. The grieving mother finally located where the smell was coming from and it emanated from a stuffed bear of her daughter's. Having bought the bear herself, the mother knew that it hadn't smelled like vanilla previously.

After a feast of heartwarming and life affirming stories, the author gives us the definitions of the various ways that the dead can communicate with us. If you're new to this idea, then I'd recommend reading these definitions first so you know exactly what the subjects in each of the stories is experiencing.

This isn't a long book, probably because those who might have picked it up in a grieving state, don't have a lot of concentration to give a book. I would recommend this book to anyone who's lost someone or might be in the process of having a loved one pass on to the other side. Think of it as a travelogue to Heaven.

2022:WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO US WHEN THE ANUNNAKI RETURN TO EARTH IN 2022?
2022:WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO US WHEN THE ANUNNAKI RETURN TO EARTH IN 2022?
Price: $7.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-bending info, September 26, 2014
This is a pretty amazing book. It tells the story of a race of beings who are so advanced that they play at creating life on planets, and Earth was where they set up camp. They exploded a sun, and started a solar system so they could have a planet that was on the edge of the galaxy, far away from their own just in case things didn't go well with their creations. We are the result of their scientists playing with DNA. We were actually created by a woman, which might explain the early matriarchal societies of the past, and the worship of the Great Mother(matter).

Along came the Greys, those beings that abduct us in the middle of the night and perform experiments, and taking samples. Apparently, these Greys have messed up their own reproduction by being all head and no heart. Now they've made deals with our government(Area 51) to freely abduct us in exchange for advanced weapons(this is probably why presidents go gray overnight).

Now that our DNA has been thorough mixed with the heartless Greys, we have a world gone crazy. We've all had lots of chances to the right thing, but now it looks as though we're ready and willing to destroy both the Earth and ourselves in our wars, so our Creators are on their way back. They will uses technology that is undreamed of to clean up the mess that our world has become. You'll have to read the book for the details, but needless to say, it's time we cleaned up our collective act and started behaving in a more human manner towards each other. Our world depends on it.

Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General
Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish history had been this interesting in school, September 25, 2014
I loved everything about Killing Patton but the title. Words have meaning, and this is not what to associate with such a great man. This is the first O'Reilly/Dugard book I've read because I find the titles of the other books so offensive. This book should be read by our students so they can enjoy history in the same way that the movie Saving Private Ryan taught as it entertained.

First, I'm not any kind of war-buff and hate watching the History Channel or the Hitler channel as some would fondly call it, but this book put a human face on not only Patton but all of the other major players of history. "History is the biography of famous men" a saying that was quoted in the book, and I agree. Patton's biography gives us a birds-eye view into what went on during WWII.

This book(I'm not using the name) gives insight into not only the actions of the major players, but also the personalities which is what I really loved about it. What surprised me is how the egos of our leaders would sometimes ignore what was best for our country, and winning the war, to keep their own power secure. No one seemed to want Patton to rise too high even though he only cared about America winning the war.

Another thing that amazed me was how war brought out the worst in some people. In the death-camps some Jews were put in charge of the other prisoners. "The kapo(as the Jewish informants who supervised their fellow prisoners were known) made it clear that she would be punished." loc. 2684

Or when the Russians were headed towards Berlin, the SS started killing anyone taking off their uniforms to hide from the approaching troops. And the stories of what the Russian soldiers did to the German women is mind-bendingly horrible. They raped, strangled and took chunks of flesh out of the women as the violated them. Some women committed suicide afterwards, some aborted the babies and some abandoned the resulting babies. And this story came from a Jewish woman who'd survived the Nazi death-camps only to suffer worse things at the hands of their 'liberators'.

O'Reilly/Dugart don't appear to white-wash any of this terrible time in our history. They give us Wild Bill Donovan, FDR's henchman, the head of the American spies, and a guy who'd do anything to forward his agenda, including assassinations. I know Hitler is considered evil incarnate to Americans, but after reading this book, I would have chosen him over Stalin every time, in fact the German soldiers ran towards the Americans to be captured rather than the Russians. Stalin told his soldiers that raping the German women was their reward for waging war, his second wife committed suicide over her husband's cruelty, he send his daughter's lover to the front lines in some sort of weird jealousy, and he killed 100 million of his own people. Patton hated Stalin and didn't trust him.

History proved Patton right on more than one occasion. Not only was Patton a great general, but he was a noble man. "Patton disagrees with the official American policy. One disturbing element of which former German soldiers be used as forced labor in Russia, France, and the United Kingdom." loc. 3847 So basically the guys we are supposed to be enlightened and on the side of all that's good, fighting the evil Germans, want to make slaves of the conquered German soldiers. I find this very disturbing and something I've never heard before.

O'Reilly/Dugart make the case of a conspiracy in the death of Patton in my opinion. Their research is sound, and even if it weren't, the truth-tellers always seem to meet with early deaths. I can't begin to express how much I enjoyed this wonderful book. The authors managed to bring to life these men of history who changed our world. I would recommend this book to anyone, including people like me who hate war and have no interest in reading a book about it. This was a book about the lives of great men of power, and O'Reilly/Dugart made them human, which is what makes this book so fascinating. Maybe I'll have to read the other books in the series, but I still hate the titles, and am not a Fox news watcher.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 6:24 PM PDT

Adventures of the Soul: Journeys Through the Physical and Spiritual Dimensions
Adventures of the Soul: Journeys Through the Physical and Spiritual Dimensions
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Information that brings peace, September 24, 2014
Reading anything by James Van Praagh is like sitting with an old and trusted friend in front of a fire, with a fine brandy, discussing life. I just can't help but feel good as his words stir my spirit, washing over me like a warm ocean breeze.

Now to the book itself. Van Praagh gives us a view of our soul, something that's pretty important in the big picture. I like how Van Praagh equates our life on Earth as a scuba diver who puts on his suit, and breathes out of his tank to visit the underwater world. Eventually our air tank runs out and we must return to the surface which is our real home. We call this death and it's our #1 fear. Kind of funny when you think about it.

Here is how the book is laid out.
Part 1: What is the Soul?
Part 2: The Soul's Home
Part 3: How the Soul Lives in the Physical

I find it very comforting to think that the physical world is just a type of school where our souls are exposed to all sorts of trials and tribulations(to quote the Bible), so that we can see how strong we are, and great our faith is. We come into a world where we've completely forgotten who we really are in order to see what's really underneath--what's hiding in our subconscious which is what builds the world we live in.

Van Praagh explains how we reincarnate over, and over again into different bodies, and circumstances to play the game of life. We have a choice as to what those circumstances are going to be, yet we enter the view of forgetfulness, and then complain over how hard our lives are(maybe it's just me).

Our Creator(and we all are sparks of him/her), is pure love and it's our job as souls to become like him/her. Once we learn to love all people no matter what, we have learned what we came to Earth for and we can go on to something else(a higher dimension of learning perhaps?) This is exactly what Jesus came to Earth to teach--become love.

Van Praagh is such a wonderful person to devote his life to helping his fellow man find the light. It has to be an exhausting job here on our dark world, but it only takes one candle to illuminate the darkness, and he's about a 1000 candle power light.

Mypillow Classic King Bed Pillow
Mypillow Classic King Bed Pillow
Offered by My Pillow, Inc.
Price: $59.95
2 used & new from $53.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not for everyone, September 24, 2014
This review is from: Mypillow Classic King Bed Pillow
I tried this pillow for myself and found it wasn't what I wanted. I love down, or imitation down pillows, so I found this pillow to be too stiff. On the other hand, my husband loves it and claims it's the best pillow in the world. This is the third pillow I've bought for him, and he couldn't be happier.

I didn't follow the instructions and put it in a dryer with a damp cloth, but I will now after reading the other reviews(thanks everyone). If I were to recommend this pillow, I'd say it's for people who don't want a pillow that squishes down like down pillow. It's for people who want a pillow with substance that retains it's support(side sleepers?).

The Anunnaki (The Chronicles of the Guardians Book 1)
The Anunnaki (The Chronicles of the Guardians Book 1)
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, September 22, 2014
There's a lot to like about Martin I Henry's book The Anunnaki, but his writing has some serious flaws, especially when it comes to character portral. The lead character, Tim, discovers a cave full of alien equipment with a map that leads to the Hall Of Records. Great idea, and when it comes to the action in this novel, Henry's writing is wonderful. His information is fascinating and he's really done his homework on the subject of the Anunnaki.

What slowed the writing down were the pages of details on subjects that were too complicated for the reader(especially me). I don't need to know why a polymer is alien in detail, just say that it has stable isotopes that aren't available on Earth(which is as much as I understood) instead of giving a technical 3 page detailed description that had me skipping pages.

Another thing is that the female PHD student of Tim's(he's a professor) falls in love with Tim and from that point on she turns into a love-starved idiot. She hides behind Tim during a gun fight, when today's woman would be pushing him out of the way to get a better shot(think Angelia Jolie in Mr. & Mrs. Smith). I couldn't relate to her and hated her by the end of the novel. Henry should either give her backbone, or kill her off because I want to read Book 2, and I never want to see this weak, love-starved woman again.

Next on my list is the near perfection of the main character, Tim. Good grief, the guy makes James Bond look like a slacker. Tim is brilliant, can speak any language fluently, knows every gun(and gives us all the details), laughs in the face of danger, romances the women, and can leap tall buildings in a single bound(not really, but you get the gist). We love characters for their flaws, which means Tim is not very lovable because he's just so darn perfect. Where's the 'wounded hero'?

So, while it might seem that I found lots of flaws in the book, I still LOVE the action scenes and the great information in this book, which means I'll read Book 2. Henry seems like a new writer, and if he takes the advice of his reviewers and not his relatives(who've probably said his book is perfect) he's going to be a great writer.

FRYE Women's Melissa Harness InSide-Zip Boot,Redwood Smooth Vintage Leather,6 M US
Price: $427.50
2 used & new from $427.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots, September 22, 2014
This is my fifth pair of Fryes and they are the best boots I've every bought. They fit exactly to size, they're comfortable, and they look great, and they last forever. I have small calves, so these aren't tight in the least, and with skinny jeans, they looks wonderful.

The leather is smooth and the picture doesn't do their beauty justice. If you're looking for a great looking, well fitting and long lasting boot, Frye never disappoints. What thing I've noticed with my many Frye boots, is that they look better the longer you wear them. I wish I had something to wear them for a few years to break them in for me because I keep wanting the new styles.

I've also bought Frye boots for a daughter, daughter-in-law, and friend, and they all love their boots and have been wearing them for years. YOuc an't go wrong with Frye boots.

Kids Book : Emma Learns to Sprout (children's book about nutrition) (Picture Book for Preschool) (Ages 3-8)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertains and educational., September 21, 2014
Sweet book on how to grow sprouts. Emma is taught to germinate lentil beans in this short picture book that will encourage kids to both know where their food comes from, and know how to grow it themselves. The illustrations are bright and appealing in this educational book that reads like a good story. And frankly, learning to grow food is such an important lesson, that children if any age should learn it for themselves.

I could go on and on about the benefits of sprouted seeds, and in fact the recipe that the Jews were given for Ezekiel bread is has sprouted grains in it. Once sprouted, the grains are easier for our bodies to digest, so, aside from my health momentary, this is a wonderful book to get kids, and the adults who might read it to them, started in a wonderfully healthy way of growing their own food.

I hope Ms. Guiz writes more books like this to both teach and entertain us.

BRAND NEW Nut Milk Bag by Everyday Kitchen Essentials - Premium Reusable Mesh Nylon Strainer - Awesome For Making Homemade Almond Milk - Organic Nut Milks - Excellent Food Grade Filter - Food Strainer - Filter Bags - Fine Mesh Strainer - Mesh Filter And Multi-Purpose Kitchen Tool For Juicing - Lifetime Money Back Guarantee
Offered by Everyday Kitchen Essentials
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, September 20, 2014
Very impressive little bag. I finally made my own almond milk by following the instructions on the Homemade website and it was so easy. Just soak one cup of almonds in 4 cups of water over night with some sweetener(I used sugar, and one teaspoon was not enough). I then blended it and strained it through my Nut Milk Bag it it strained at a rate that was so quick it was almost as if there were no crushed nuts in the bag.

When I finished, there were not pieces of almond in my milk, and rinsing the bag was as easy as turning it inside out. There were no corners for anything to get caught in and now my bag is back to perfect. It dried quickly too.

I was tempted to run a bottle of wine through the bag to get the sediment out, but I was afraid I'd stain the bag. It still might happen in the future.

Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris
Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $12.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Become classier and more content with who you are, September 16, 2014
I am a huge fan of the French way of living because it's better for human beings in general. More walking, appreciating life, wearing your best clothes every day, and manners-manners-manners. While I love living in America and being an American, I love what the French can teach us. Every culture seems to do something really well, and the French give us Class(with a capital C).

Jennifer L. Scott spent six months in a student program and lived with a well-to-do French family. Jennifer was honest many mistakes she made with her host family, like looking for a midnight snack, not realizing that no one ate except at meal times. She learned that sloppy sweats were never an option, even for bedtime. She learned that the family always used their best china and manners NO MATTER WHAT!

Jennifer learned to live well, and how to give herself the best which is really about respecting yourself. The chapters are laid how according to subject so that the reader can go from right to whatever might interest them, though I read straight through. Jennifer's writing is easy to follow, understand, and is like gossiping with your best friend over a latte`.

Following the advice of Madame Chic will help you to live a classier life, and probably a much happier life as you learn to embrace who you are, and what you have. I plan on following the wardrobe advice of ten items(for that means 30, but who's counting), and get rid of any piece of clothing that doesn't serve me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20