Profile for Robin Landry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 320

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robin Landry "singer/songwriter" RSS Feed (Seatac, WA United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Phoenix Queen
The Phoenix Queen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adventure, August 20, 2014
This review is from: The Phoenix Queen (Kindle Edition)
Raina is seventeen, a dancing girl and a slave to a rich merchant who discovers that she can control peoples’ minds with her own. Her first attempt at doing so, is to save the life of one her fellow dancers. It ends with a near breakdown and temporarily losing her sight.

But Raina is far more than a dancing slave girl as she finds out when bandits disrupt one the parties she’s dancing at, and Raina discovers that she can speak another language as she converses with one of the bandits. The bandits don’t steal anything from the rich merchant but Raina’s heart and so begins her journey into discovering who she really is so that she can save her city and the people she cares about.

McKellon Meyer has created a wonderful and unusual world, set on the outskirts of a jungle with pyramids that once ran with blood. While we’re never told exactly where this is, I imagined it to be in the time of Incas.

Filled with intrigue and lots of surprises, The Phoenix Queen is a wonderful read that had more twists than any book I’ve read in a long time. Meyer writes good characters and gives them unusual quirks, names, and ways of doing things.

I enjoyed Captain Herzere whose mind Raina couldn’t penetrate, or Drazan’s habit of calling everyone ‘darling’. I loved how Raina described training her dancers and how they danced with such intensity, that two died during one of the parties. That really took me by surprise.

A good book for young girls(12-17?) to show how to overcome adversity and come into their own power and truth. Also, there’s nothing in the book that would be R rated, though there is some violence, but reading it is far from seeing it so it wouldn’t bother me to let a young person read it.

The Phoenix Queen is the kind of book that calls for a sequel so I hope the author is writing one.

The Trail of Tears: A History Just for Kids
The Trail of Tears: A History Just for Kids

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent view of history, August 20, 2014
Trail of Tears is a wonderful encapsulation of an important time in the history of America. A time of expansion, and what it meant to the native peoples of the United States. How the natives went from 10 million different tribes spreading across the entire United States, to just a few million within just a few hundred years.

Trail of Tears starts off with de Soto landing in Florida in 1539, to the Trail of Tears from 1831-1838. As an adult, I learned a great deal from this book, which I feel gives a fair telling of what happened in those three hundred years of expansion, and the building of our nation.

What led up to the trail of tears? “White settlers that they were entitled to take Native American lands because of a philosophy called “Manifest Destiny”. Page 7 of 43

“Native Americans were not viewed the same way as white settlers.” Page 8 of 43 Native religion viewed everything as part of the creator rather than a punishing God that judges, and asks people to go to war against ‘non-believers’.

What I found truly amazing is that the Cherokee nation tried to follow the ways of the white settlers, yet when “they went all the way to the Supreme Court to look for help, the Supreme Court told them: you are nobody.” Page 16 of 43

The book goes through each of the tribes removal and the years it took places.

With tribes losing 2,500 of the people out of 15,000 on the way out of their native lands, it’s no wonder they called it the trail of tears. Another tribe lost 500 out of 3,000 with their people on the trail.

What’s most important of a review of our history during this time, is that we learn as a people to have compassion for any natives living on land we wish to have as our own. Someday we might be traveling the stars and maybe we’ll come upon a planet populated with natives that don’t have as sophisticated weapons as we do. Will we repeat a history that is shameful to us now, or will we have compassion and share the resources?

A very worthwhile book to read to a child. Trail of Tears gives the reader a clear and fact-based view on what happened only a little more than a couple of hundred years ago in our country. It was difficult to read and more difficult that it could have actually happened, but it did and we should never forget.

Practical Parenting To Go: How to avoid becoming a toxic parent and being a more helpful one (Children Can Succeed Book 1)
Price: $7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, August 20, 2014
Practical Parenting reminds me of the book What to Expect When You’re Expecting. Full of practical and compassionate advice, that if taken, will help any parent to become the kind of parent they want to be, raising children that are the best they can be.

The authors have set the book up with easy to follow guidelines that lay out both what a milestones a child will be going through at each age group, and how to make the most out of those years.

There is some great advice in this book such as “If positive reinforcement is what they(children) depend on at home, they will be afraid to admit to their ‘failures’ at school in fear of being rejected by their parents as well.” Loc. 282

Which means, don’t praise your child constantly, just let them know that they are loved for who they are, not what they do. Children will do behavior that is less than desirable, but that doesn’t mean that they are less than desirable, just their behavior. It seems like a small point, but it’s huge in the eyes of a child.

Another point the authors make is that while discipline is essential, withholding love as a method of disciplining is never acceptable because children “cannot and should not be expected to earn their parents’ love. They are not mentally or emotionally equipped to deal with this type of manipulated relationships”. Loc. 269. And really, even as adults, are any of us equipped to handle manipulative relationships?

At the beginning of each chapter, the authors have put in some great quotes that reinforce what the authors are saying about how to raise a confident, and emotionally balanced child. One of my favorites is “Children have more need of models than critics.—Carolyn Coats” loc. 244 I can’t think of a more true statement, considering our modern hyper-critical society of social media, and opinion shows that blanket the television and radio airwaves.

It’s too bad that parenting is not taught in school, but if it were, I can’t think of a more practical, wise and compassionate book to study from than Practical Parenting.

Inside the Other Side: Soul Contracts, Life Lessons, and How Dead People Help Us, Between Here and Heaven
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, August 20, 2014
Inside the Other Side is about the world beyond the veil-death-heaven-the spirit world, or whatever you want to call it, and Concetta Bertoldi gives us the tour. Able to see ‘dead people’ from an early age, Concetta finally gave up her job as a receptionist to work full time bringing comfort to those who’ve lost loved ones to the ‘other side’.

I find Concetta’s writing to be funny, insightful and compassionate. She gives us hints on how to open up to the other side ourselves, while explaining how it all works. Some of the chapters include ‘energy and the body’, how to deal with negativity and a subject I’d never heard of called ‘Mission Entities and Mystical Travelers’.

These Mission Entities & Mystical Travelers are those who come to earth as spiritual seekers. This seeking will be a part of the incoming soul’s agenda from day one, and I recognize this in myself. Books about the ‘other side’ always manage to make it on my reading list, and have for all of my life, though I couldn’t explain to anyone why it is so important to me.

Missions Entities are here to ‘facilitate a correction, to help bring about a necessary change that reaches beyond their immediate family and friends. Often their mission will require great sacrifice; sometimes it may even require that their death be an example or be some kind of catalyst so others can see things a different way.’ Page 77-78

Concetta even lets her readers in her own experiences showing that even a psychic can be all too human. I found her book to be both enlightening and a fun read. She talks about the ‘other side’ as if it’s just someplace you could visit in by hopping in your car. As if it’s as commonplace as going to the a restaurant you’d hadn’t been to before.

Reading Inside The Other Side makes death feel, not like and end, but like going home. I highly recommend this book for someone who’s lost a loved one to the ‘other side’ so that they might find comfort in knowing their loved ones are even better than okay.

NEW! Super C Serum - Much More Than Your Regular Vitamin C Serum - A Revolutionary Anti Aging Skin Care for Face With Unique High-End Natural Ingredients like: Epidermal Growth Factor , Vitamin C, Marine Kelp , Hydrolyzed Collagen , Hyaluronic Acid and More - Best Collagen Synthesis Formula - Rich in Antioxidants - Eliminates Wrinkles , Age Spots and Acne Scars - Great for Sensitive and Damaged Skin
Offered by FA Poletti
Price: $28.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product with a nice price, August 13, 2014
I've been using a lot of high-end beauty products in the last 10 years, so I didn't think this particular product would make much of a difference, but it did. My skin is softer than it was two weeks ago, and my fine lines don't appear to be as noticeable. It's not a huge difference, but considering how much I've paid for the best skin care all of the best brands carry, this serum is pretty impressive.

I usually alway start my moisturizing with a vegetable glycerin and water because this combination is the only thing I've found that keeps my skin from feeling tight. The Super C Serum label said to apply it first, and for the first time in decades, I found that I didn't need my glycerin and water. Of course the Super C does have glycerin in it, so maybe that's why, but needless to say, I was impressed.

I will happily give up my expensive routine of moisturizers for more of this product. I'm now wondering if they make a face cream too. I've taken vitamin C for years, so using it topically is not a stretch, but I didn't think it would actually make a difference.

One other thing, a lot of high-end moisturizers make the mistake of heavily scenting their products which has made me throw a lot of them away after only one try. I'm highly sensitive to most flowery perfumes, but Serum C has a light pleasant scent that goes away almost as soon as you put it on, and while sticky at first, it sinks right in to my skin leaving it silky smooth.

Home at the Tree of Life
Home at the Tree of Life
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The answers to life, August 12, 2014
Dr. Gabor switched from dentistry to hypnotherapy and is helping people on a much deeper level than just cavities. Delving into the subconscious, which as she explains, Dr. Gabor can help her clients go the source of their addictions, depression and suicidal thoughts. Who knew that you can be cured without drugs and endless therapy, apparently it’s the subconscious and super-conscious that hold the answers to our problems.

What I learned from the book is that our conscious minds are a collection of learned behaviors and beliefs which constitute the ego. This is the part of us that deals with our material, every day lives, yet it is illusionary because the material world is not our true Home.

As we live our material lives, we forget that we are actually spirits, pieces of the Prime Creator(Chi energy), and that we build physical bodies to put ourselves through tests in order to learn and grow as spirits. As we grow, we in turn grow the Creator. How we grow is by being positive and by helping others. Say for instance you loved to cook(I can’t imagine it myself).

By following your bliss(as Joseph Campbell says), you become a great cook, finding fulfillment and happiness, and you can feed others making them happy, and then maybe teach others the art of cooking so they can both feed themselves, and make a living, bringing them happiness.

You can apply this scenario to anything and get the same result. A lot of happy fulfilled people, and when everyone is happy, the energy of the Earth goes up and in response there is less disease, and longer life spans for everyone.

But, as Dr. Gabor explains, there are lower levels of life who don’t want the energy of the earth to rise because then they can’t control us through fear, disease, war, etc.

Why hypnosis works is because we store all of the memories of our past lives in our subconscious(soul), which can cause addictions and behaviors that the conscious mind doesn’t recognize, and so, can’t control them.

Once you visit the scene of the event causing the fear(stuck energy) you can move beyond the event and you won’t need the addictive behavior to cover it up. Asking someone who’s overweight to just stop eating so much can be cruel because their conscious mind, which is 10% of their brain, to fight against the other 90% which is not even on the conscious level.

Dr. Gabor is doing brilliant work that can change the world, because it can release people from the bondage of their subconscious behaviors. No wonder Plato said that we need to know ourselves.

Unrequited: Girl Meets Boy Band
Unrequited: Girl Meets Boy Band
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet coming of age romance, August 12, 2014
Delightful tale of a young girl going through her first crush, only it’s with the star of the biggest ‘Boy Band’ of the era. Seventeen year-old Kat has to take her twelve year-old twin sisters to the Unrequited concert playing in Sydney, Australia because their mother’s plane is held up and there’s no way the twins are going to miss the concert.

Kat is not a fan, but she loves her sisters, so they take the train to the concert, and while on their way, Kat sees a boy she nick-names ‘McDreamy’ in her head. Kat can’t believe her bad luck. Here she is meeting the man of her dreams while on a bus with dozens of young fans, obviously headed to the Unrequited concert.

When the bus breaks down, Kat is thrown into McDreamy’s arms, and then drops her ticket to the show in front of him. He smiles and hands her back her ticket and then graciously offers to buy them a cab ride to the concert so that they don’t miss it. Kat is horrified when McDreamy waves her and her sisters off without asking for her phone number. Kat’s sure it’s because he thinks she’s a fan of a childish ‘boy band’.

At the concert, Kat ignores the music and listens to her headphones instead, until she finds the lead singer of the band has singled her out and is staring right at her.

The adventure continues in this sweet Young Adult novel as Kat learns about life and what she really wants out of it. It’s a coming of age with the twist of some background into the music business and how friendships can change and grow.

This is a book that has nothing in it that teens and preteens can’t read, just a fun story of a young girl and her desire to make music, while not disappointing her family. Very uplifting with a lesson in following your dreams and learning to love.

Jane's Harmony: A Novel
Jane's Harmony: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $5.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming romance . . ., August 12, 2014
Jane’s romance with Caleb continues in the second ‘Jane’ book by the wonderful author Ryan Winfield. Jane, who’s daughter died in a drug overdose in the first book Jane’s Melody, met Caleb, a twenty-four year-old struggling musician, and fell into a love that might be wrong to the world, but works for this wonderful couple.

In the previous book, Jane decides to give up her safe life and follow Caleb down to Austin, Texas, where he’s gone to follow his dream as a singer-songwriter. Now a new story begins as Caleb and Jane struggle to make a life in a tiny apartment with Jane searching desperately for some kind of work after twenty years at her steady job as a insurance sales person.

Caleb works in a warehouse for the wonderful character, Mr. Zilger, loading beer crates, while Jane walks the streets of Austin looking for a job to help support the two of them.

Winfield treats us to a behind the scenes look at television talent contests, and a whole lot of R-rated love-making, in this romantic novel. His characters are sweet and just damaged enough to keep them real, while his plotting keeps you hooked, yearning to know if true love can conquer so many obstacles.

A wonderful beach-read that makes you feel good inside, and a novel that would make a great Lifetime movie if any producer is out there listening.

It’s always interesting to see what Ryan Winfield is going to write about next. He’s the kind of author who seems to be able to take on any kind of plot, from his wonderful novel South of Bixby Bridge, to his Park Service trilogy, his writing never disappoints.

Walk Two Moons (Trophy Newbery)
Walk Two Moons (Trophy Newbery)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, and a wonderful read, August 1, 2014
What an inspiring story. Filled with the love of mothers, fathers and a set of very special grandparents, Salamanca(Sal) Tree Hiddle's story is about growing up. Sal is thirteen and her mother has left their Kentucky farm to see a relative in Ohio, but she never comes back. Sal's father moves to Ohio where Sal meets Phoebe Winterbottom(what wonderful names the author comes up with), a girl who's mother soon leaves her family mysteriously.

In the present day, Sal's wonderfully excentric grandparents take Sal on a car ride to retrace the steps her mother took on her bus ride to Ohio. Sal feels the need to be in Idaho(where her mother was headed), by her mother's birthday. While on the seven day car ride, Sal tells her grandparents about her friend Phoebe and how her mother had disappeared.

Side by side, the two threads of both Sal's present life and Phoebe's past life, intertwin, and Sal learns some hard truths about life in general. While it may seem to be a simple story, the depth with which Sharon Creech writes gives this story many layers and much wisdom. There are two many wonderful passages to quote, but I'd give this book to any child no matter what the age, and any adult because it's just so readable.

What I really enjoyed were the references to trees. The author uses them the family and how they nourish us, and love us unconditionally, and most especially how they endure.

Sal's life is an echo of what it's like to be in the netherlands between a child and an adult reminding me of how embarrassing it was to be that age. Of course when you're going through it, you're certain that everyone else has things figured out which is why books like this are so important; they show us that everyone is feeling as confused and out of sorts as we are.

This book deserves it's Newbery Award for sure. It's the kind of book where the characters live on in your mind for a life time.

Creator Handbook
Creator Handbook

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, July 29, 2014
This review is from: Creator Handbook (Kindle Edition)
If we are all creators, then there should be some sort of handbook, which is what this book is. If this is world is just for us to learn to create, then why don't we do it consciously? Merln gives us the tools in the this short handbook, on how to do just that.

He starts with 'when can we create?' We start with the number 14 because we have 2 hands, 2 feet, 1 torso, 2 arms, 2 legs, 1 face, 1 mouth, 1 nose and 2 eyes. This is a creation number, so therefor, you can create things more easily on the 14 day of a month, or on the 5th(1+4). Does it work? I have no idea but it's free so I'm willing to give it a try.

"The heart provides the spark to get the Creation going, but there is another mystery here; some of us can use this 'spark' better than others. How does it work? There are two forces at work within the heart; focus and willpower. Together these two forces equal something called Intent." loc. 65 of 223

In other words, our heart is the magnifying glass to our intention and will power. Merln also says that you have to overcome your ego which is busy telling you that you can't do something. And move things to your heart to get the truth. He explains how to program your creations too.

This is a very interesting, short booklet that can teach you how to focus your will to enable you to create the life you want. It's an easy read and well worth the effort.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20