Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale
Profile for Robin Landry > Reviews

Browse

Robin Landry's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1009
Top Reviewer Ranking: 467

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robin Landry "singer/songwriter" RSS Feed (Maple Valley, WA United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Form and Function: The Fantasy Epic (Aulds of the SPYRE Book 1)
Form and Function: The Fantasy Epic (Aulds of the SPYRE Book 1)
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, February 13, 2016
I don't know how Sara keeps doing it, but each of her books is stunningly original, compelling, and just plain fun to read. From werewolves to outer space, and now a novel of a world where one's charisma is a powerful magic, and strange half-man-half beasts populate the strange world in Form & Function. I can't help but be reminded of Edgar Cayce's books on Atlantis where the scientists experimented with DNA, creating the same strange half animals-humans that were feared and looked down up by the populace. They were the 'things' that the people of Atlantis used for their labor. Also, the 12th Planet series, by Zacharia Stitchin, where Enki and his sister mixed the DNA of the animals with their own creating the 'worker' for the mines. I have to wonder if Sara King has either read this books, or is working with her own cellular memory. Regardless, her characters are so real, that the reader can identify with creators such as Auldhounds(sp?) with Auld being the family of magicians, and hounds being, well dogs. Although these creatures could have horns, hooves, wings, whatever, and if someone did put DNA in a mixer to come up with these strange beings.

Once you accept the strange world of Sara King, and that takes about one paragraph, you get swept into the real emotions of characters like Maelys, from the rockfarmers, a girl who can speak to rock--where the rock speaks back to her and accepts her into its womb, moving her from place to place as it melts around her. You have Dustin, a smart mouthed Fire Drake, reportedly the last of his kind, who is captured because of the prophecy that says the world will end when the last Fire Drake expires. Then you have my personal favorite, Rhydderch, one of the powerful Auld who is the quintessential troubled hero that women love.

Sara King's books are so original that you have to read at least one of them. Forging Zero is one of my favorite series of all time. Earth is invaded by a consortium of aliens who go planet to planet taking young people for their army. This particular book is so cutting edge that it might come true in just a few years. I've read the same thing on a brilliant website called Wespenre.com where his research says that humans are special for our ability to see multidimensionally, which is why an alien group is grooming up with technology to make us into the most powerful army ever.

I think that's why I love Sara King's work so much, is that it goes along with my research into what's really going on behind the scenes of our world, only she makes it into page-turning novels with characters that I love. I can't wait for the continuation of the story, and I hope Sara makes it a six book series.

Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Liquid Laundry Detergent, Lavender, 34 Fluid Ounce
Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Liquid Laundry Detergent, Lavender, 34 Fluid Ounce
Price: $15.99
26 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars smells good, good for the environment and works., February 12, 2016
Love the smell(I wash my horse saddle pads in it and I don't want anything strong smell, just the relaxing smell of lavender), love that it isn't tested on animals(aren't we past all that yet?), gentle on our septic(I try to keep the chemicals to a minimum)love that it's so concentrated that I'm not lifting a huge heavy jug of detergent off the shelf which is over my head and most of all, I love the button I push to order it. This is my first product from my dash button and it's pretty cool.

The dash button was easy to set up, just three steps that Amazon walked me through(I'm not good at instructions, so it's REALLY easy), and now I just press the button which lights up and I get an instant message(on my phone) that tells me what I just ordered. Detergent is one of thing things I hate running out of, which is why I choose to try out the dash button.

Lithium Orotate - 120 capsules
Lithium Orotate - 120 capsules
Offered by Sunrise Marketplace
Price: $19.71
4 used & new from $19.71

5.0 out of 5 stars good, February 11, 2016
I heard this recommended(not the brand, just Lithium Orotate) because it can calm the nerves(and by my naturopathic doctor). If I'm remembering correctly, it helps the body synthesize B vitamins which are great for the nerves. I've even heard that communities with natural high levels of lithium in the water have calmer populaces. Regardless, I've heard enough to take it myself because some of us are more high strung than others and need all the help we can get to chill out. This is not the same or in the huge dozes as what has been given to mental patients in the past(or present, I have no idea). This brand seems to work just fine and has easy to swallow capsules.

How to Catch a Monster (A endearing children's picture book about a boy and his cookie eating monster ) (Monsters Book for Kids 1)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great bedtime book, February 10, 2016
"Monster, monster, one, two, three . . . won't you come out and play with me?" location 6 of 25. This is a seriously cute book about a four year-old little boy who wants to see a real live monster. His mother tells him that monsters like cookies, and little boys who follow instructions, so Eric covers his eyes and jumps under the covers and says the magic words. Out comes a big purple monster with blue polka dots all over his hairy body who plays with Eric until it's time for the little boy to go to sleep. The monster thanks him for the cookies and then leaves the room with smile when Eric asks the monster if he'll come back tomorrow night. Now Eric can't wait for bedtime and does his bedtime chores quickly so the monster will come back again. This continues until Eric's mother runs out of cookies and offers apples instead.

Sweet story about how to get a child to hurry through their bedtime chores. One that I'm sure children will love because it has just the right amount of scary to it and wonderful illustrations.

Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 10-12 (Oliver and Jumpy, the Cat Series, Book 4): Old style cat cartoons with many animal adventures
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars fun, February 9, 2016
The adventures for the good friends, Oliver the cat, and Jumpy the kangaroo. The first story is about an unhappy dog who barks at Oliver every time he goes by. Oliver approaches the dog and asks why he's always barking. The dog tells Oliver that as a dog, it's his job to bark at cats, also, the dog claims that he's bored. Oliver helps the dog out by helping him over the fence so the dog can come out to play with Oliver, Jumpy and Joey, the baby kangaroo.

The second story is about learning to fly. Or al least, learning not to fly too high. Attaching a parachute to their wooden carriage, the three friends were having fun until the wind kicked up and lifted the carriage right off the ground. Calling some pelicans for help, the three friends were rescued just in time. Story three is about a tiny blue butterfly who lands on Oliver's nose while he's trying to take a nap. The blue butterfly begs Oliver to help him rescue his fellow butterflies from a little boy who's catching them and locking them in his bag.

All good fun, and bright, colorful illustrations that illuminate the story. I'm sure kids will love the adventures of Oliver & Jumpy.

Margaret Fletcher Gallop Girl: A Fall From Grace At Forty Miles An Hour
Margaret Fletcher Gallop Girl: A Fall From Grace At Forty Miles An Hour
by Genevieve Dutil
Price: $12.99
4 used & new from $3.91

5.0 out of 5 stars witty and wonderful, February 8, 2016
If you like 'chic-lit', 'romance' and horses, this is a wonderful way to indulge all three loves. While I did buy when I read the author's bio(she said she started riding horses as an adult, and has been picking up the pieces of her ego ever since), and found that I related on a deep level. I too, started riding as an adult, and I figured it would just be me and my horse galloping flawlessly into the sunset. My experience deflated my ego to so I could relate to the heroine in Gallop Girl.

First, let me say that the writing is so good, so witty and fun(it reminds me of one of my favorite books Bitter Is The New Black), that it would matter what the content of the story line. It was like reading Train Wreck. I can just see Margaret being played by Amy or Tina Fey. Gallop Girl is the story of a young equestrian, who's ridden in fancy Hunter Horse shows her whole life because her rich daddy can afford it. When daddy loses all his money(think Bernie Madoff), Margaret has to do something in life besides coach her college equestrian team--meaning, she has to get a real job. After a try at being a receptionist for a veterinarian, which turns out hilariously bad, Margaret gets a job as a 'gallop girl'. As Margaret finds out, this is a job where you get up at 4:30 in the morning and exercise race horses all day at $20 a ride.

I can't even describe all the funny things that happen to Margaret, who is paired with a no-nonsense fellow rider, Emily, who wants to save up enough money to go to England to get lessons(and work her behind off) for a famous riding coach. Emily is sure that being a good rider is all about having lots of money and opportunities, which of course Margaret did. The chemistry between these two opposites makes for great reading, throw in a handsome boss, who's dating Margaret's still-rich-arch-enemy, and this is a laugh out loud kind of read.

I can't believe that this book is a first for the author. Her writing is first rate and I'm sure the movie studios will be knocking on her door soon, because this would make a great movie. I'm going to follow this author for sure.

SPUR HAMMER HEAD SS 1" (25MM) NECK W/STRAIGHT LOOPS
SPUR HAMMER HEAD SS 1" (25MM) NECK W/STRAIGHT LOOPS
Offered by BIGFLY
Price: $22.42
6 used & new from $17.33

5.0 out of 5 stars quality, February 6, 2016
As a new rider, I haven't spurred to this level yet, I've just used the nub type 1/2 inch spurs and a 3/4 inch nub, but today, I used these bad boys and my horse really came alive under me(apparently I'm not assertive enough, well duh, who wants to wake up a 17 hand German warmblood?). I tickled him with these spurs and he finally paid attention to me and jumped like a champ and didn't cut any of his corners. I can remember when I first started riding and I'd see other women wearing spurs. My first thought was 'how can they be so cruel?'. Fast forward a year, and I now realize that these type of spurs are like poking your finger into your horse's side as opposed to the feeling of just pushing with your whole hand.

These spurs are thick and strong and fit perfectly(you can slightly bend them). I'm very happy with my new spurs and I'm sure my horse is happy that they don't hurt him.

Catch Rider
Catch Rider
Offered by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great debut, February 5, 2016
This review is from: Catch Rider (Kindle Edition)
If you love horses, and hard work(they certainly go together) Catch Rider is a fun read. I almost read it in one sitting, because not only was the subject fascinating to me, but because the writer is so good at her job she makes the words flow by. Add to that great, three-dimensional characters and you have a must-read book.

The story is of Sid, a fourteen year old girl who lives in a dead-end mill town in the hills of Virginia, filled with characters who are resourceful(think moonshine), and tough, with Sid being a product of her environment. Knowing that the only way out of her toxic-aired town is through hard work, Sid uses her love of horses to find her way out. She's been raised by a mother who once rode horses as a girl, and an uncle who trades horses and drinks whiskey, and loves Sid with all of his heart. Uncle Wayne teaches Sid to ride and the novel opens with Sid on board a newly acquired horse who runs crazily over the country side until jumping a four foot high downed tree throwing Sid into the dirt. From the first few pages we learn of Sidney's love of horses, and her fearless expertise in riding them. She dreams of showing horses, but that's a sport reserved for the rich. When Sid's uncle asks her to work along side him at a wealthy owner's show barn, she's reluctant. She can ride anything, why can't she just get a job doing that?

Of course Sid takes the job and is plunged into the world of hundred thousand dollar horses and the show circuit. How she makes it work, is through her fearlessness, her strong work ethic and the love of her mother and uncle who support her. Sid keeps trying despite the setbacks in her life, like the death of her father, her mother's abusive boyfriend, her uncle's drinking problem, the pressures of high school, and a total lack of money. This book contains adult themes(though quite realistic), and adult language(spoken by the 14 year old main character), so this might not be good for kids under the age of maturity to these kinds of life experiences(I have no idea what age that might be because it's different for all kids). I think that it's good to expose kids to the themes in this book because it might open a dialogue that could be helpful(again, depends on the child). Maybe if the parent read this book first, they could gage it's appropriateness for their child.

As an adult, I loved the book, and the all the characters in it. It read fast, and left me with the good feeling of a well-crafted novel.

Treasure of the Umbrunna
Treasure of the Umbrunna
by Fred Rayworth
Price: $16.99
21 used & new from $13.44

5.0 out of 5 stars original, February 5, 2016
Treasure of the Umbrunna is a great adventure story, with one tough, resourceful, and mysterious lead character by the name of Meleena, a girl who can take care of herself. Meleena lives in a part of town that houses many different characters, including a half-insect tavern owner who's her best friend. This is fantasy in the vein of the Stars Wars Cantina, with realistic creatures and humans(with various mixtures) where magic still lives and right not it's busy destroying the world. Meleena is convinced by a four-eyed wizard to find a pearl of great price, with the help of four very different characters who are experts at surviving their world. Meleena thinks she can do the job by herself, but when told of the dangers of this adventure, reluctantly takes on the four men, and off they go to find their fortune.

While this is a fantasy, a genre I'm not all that well versed in, I would say that this is not a book for young people. The themes are very adult, with Melleena being somewhat loose in her morals, at least sexually. Orphaned at a young age on the streets in a tough world, give her an edge that would not be suitable for teens. I actually think this is a shame, but Meleena is so likable, such a good role model otherwise, but again, there are some very adult themes running through the book, so adults only.

Fred Hayworth is an excellent writer with loads of imagination who had created a world that's both new and realistic which is the hard part when writing fantasy. As fantastic as your world is, the reader has to see the underlying rules to believe in it. Fred's world works. His characters are believable and I loved Meleena. If you enjoy a good fantasy novel, this book fits the bill. I would love to see a continuation of Meleena's world, so I'm hoping Fred keeps writing about her.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2016 6:07 PM PST

Horse, Follow Closely: Native American Horsemanship
Horse, Follow Closely: Native American Horsemanship
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love horses . . ., February 3, 2016
I've been on a bend, reading as many books on horses that I can find so I can understand my horse, and this book has turned out to be one of my favorites. There's learning about horses, and there's making a spiritual connection, Gawani Pony Boy does that latter. He teaches a rider who to think like horse, rather than thinking of a horse as human and making them act in ways that humans act(two-leggeds as Pony Boy would say). While this might sound trite, we humans try to put human traits onto our animals all the time, from dressing up our dogs, to expecting a horse to react to our vocal commands while our bodies are saying something different.

Pony Boy explains how horses are herd animals and they need a strong, competent and wise leader to follow, and if that's not you, the horse will not respect you. Pony Boy tells us how to explain things to a horse in their language. How to observe your horse to see his likes and dislikes, things no one can tell you because maybe no one else knows. He explains how the Natives discovered horses and within a couple of hundred years, became horsemen that were unparalleled in the world.

What I loved most about this book is how Pony Boy shows the reader how you can become 'one' with your horse, getting him to move where you want with nothing more than focus. I loved how he explained why horses move to one side when you shift your weight. Pony Boy suggests you put a child on your shoulders to feel what a horse feels when weight it shifted from one side the other.

I could tell that this man has a great love and respect for his brother the horse, and it made me understand these magnificent beings a little more. Horses were not just beasts of burdens to the Natives, but a spiritual partner. Besides the wonderful lessons, the photos in this book are just breathtaking, even in my Kindle Paperwhite, that I just had to see them on my IPad. The photos are even more amazing in color. I can even tell what some of the markings painted on these ponies mean now after reading this book. If you love horses, you'll love this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20