Profile for Robin Landry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 333

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robin Landry "singer/songwriter" RSS Feed (Maple Valley, WA United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Crucial M550 1TB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT1024M550SSD1
Price: Click here to see our price
83 used & new from $449.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my "new" faster computer, November 23, 2014
I bought this drive on the recommendation of my producer because music takes up so much memory that I really needed a drive that could keep up. I have a Macbook Pro which started out with 550GB of memory, and after cloning my old hard drive onto this new one, I have over 800GB left on my computer. I may not know much about computers, but I know that I have lots of room now to run memory-sucking programs like garage band, and my computer is now faster than ever.

The cloning took time, a few hours, and when it was finished, the new hard drive went into my Mac and without needing the adjusting piece that came with the hard drive. I also learned that my 2011 Macbook is one of the last Macs that you can change out the hard drive which makes me really happy. I don't know when I'll need to upgrade my computer again, but I'm guessing that it's not going to be for a long time.

Conversations with Nostradamus: Volume 1
Conversations with Nostradamus: Volume 1
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I buy all of Dolores Cannon's work, and I've never been disappointed, November 23, 2014
Through regressive hypnotherapy, Dolores Cannon makes contact with the great Nostradamus. What's really strange about this book is that Delores' client was a student of Nostradamus, and through hypnosis, Cannon actually reads the quatrains to Nostradamus who interprets them for her through her client.

What really amazed Cannon, was that Nostradamus was aware that his student was talking to someone unseen and asked if he could talk. Then he told Cannon that he needed to interpret some of the quatrains because they pertained to our present time. One quatrain referred to the Chernobyl disaster. Nostradamus talked about a triangle of 3 cities that would experience an earthquake, Los Angels, San Francisco and Las Vegas? He was unsure of the 3rd one. Needless to say, earthquakes have been speeding up in the last few decades, along with volcanoes going off. I've even heard that underwater volcanoes might be what's adding to the CO2 in our atmosphere.

The student explains what he's learned from Nostradamus, a doctor and his teacher. "The fire opens the way . . . the mind's eye sees the fire. The voices come to you, to help and guide you. You get . . . inside yourself. It has to be prepared. The calming of your body, of your mind." location 483 of 9220 How amazing that a woman, when regressed hypnotically, remembers being taught by Nostradamus.

Another thing Cannon learned from her client, was that she(as a male student) was sitting reading from some lost books on the childhood of Christ. Apparently the church was trying to remove and separate parts of these books, and Nostradamus felt that his student should know what was in these books. The student talked about a story in the lost book when Jesus was young. Apparently he had the same powers he did as a man, but not the compassion and sometimes used his gifts unwisely, including have a playmate fall dead and then bringing him back to life afterwards out of sorrow. I can't imagine who the public would feel knowing that Jesus might not have been pure good all the time, that he had some growing pains to go through.

The client explains that Nostradamus puts sand on a mirror and then traces symbols on the mirror with a quill, and then writes what he hears in side his head. "Usually there will be an area cleared by the time he's finished with the free design, and he sees things there." location 745 of 9220

Read the quatrains interpreted by the man who wrote them. This is a fascinating book, as are all of Delores Cannon's work. We lost a pioneer in the search for lost knowledge with her recent passing.

Rich in Happiness
Rich in Happiness

5.0 out of 5 stars Wise book, November 17, 2014
This review is from: Rich in Happiness (Kindle Edition)
Rich in Happiness is a wise book. Step by step, the author lays out the path to happiness and he does so in an easy to understand way, along with charming illustrations to make his point. Learn the 7 steps to living happily for the rest of you life and you won't regret it. I think the most important thing I learned, was that self-discipline, and a grateful heart(attitude) are the most important ingredient to a happy life.

Today it seems as if the world is getting more unhappy all the time. Why? The young people I know have a saying when anyone is complaining about a something, they call it 'First World Problems', which sums up that just because we have all of the creature comforts in the first world, doesn't mean we still finds things to complain about. One of the truths that the author points out is that there are far more suicides in the first world than the third world. We humans need each other and in the third world everyone is important for survival, while in the first world, we can get by with just ourselves because of all of our modern conveniences. Apparently we're no better off for our easy life style.

Follow the easy seven steps to creating a life rich in happiness, and you too can cultivate a happy life. I say cultivate, because as the author points out, we have to create the habits that make us happy, rather then just expecting fate, the right toys, mate or income bracket to come along and do it for us.

Here are the 7 steps:
1. Attitude
2. Integrity
3. Be a whole person
4. Have correct values
5. Develop quality relationships
6. Be content but not satisfied
7. Live in reality

"It is usually those who are hurting who hurt others. Truly happy people have no reason but to love." Location 211 of 2534

"Children laugh 300-400 times a day, but adults only 15-20 times a day." location 562 of 2534

And here's what what the author found that was consistent with the homeless people he worked with were these three traits: Bad attitude, blame others for you actions or reactions, and rely on others. These are the traits you want to practice if not being successful is your goal. Our society even encourages this type of behavior by telling you that it's not your fault that you're fat, shy, a substance abuser, or are in an abusive relationship as an adult(children don't have a choice). I count it as a crime against humanity that we are told anything is out of our control.

As the author points out in one story, a young man wanted to be a great basketball player but he was only 5'2'' tall. He didn't succeed because of reality, BUT, the wrestling coach noticed the young man's hard work, and asked him to join the wrestling team. All of the hard work the young man had put into trying to be a basketball player paid off and made him an outstanding wrestler.

With so many depressed people in our world, this book should be required reading. People need to know that happiness is within their grasp if they follow a few simple rules, attitude being #1. "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Benjamin Franklin

Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift (Cassidy Jones Adventures, Book Two)
Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift (Cassidy Jones Adventures, Book Two)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, book 2 does not disappoint, November 13, 2014
Cassidy Jones is a very entertaining character. She's a normal 15 year-old until an accident gives her super powers. In book 1 we are introduced to the how and whys of Cassidy, and in book 2 Cassidy gets down to doing some more rescuing and putting away of bad guys.

The characters are more developed in book 2 and the love triangle that was hinted at in book 1 is coming to fruition in book 2. There's a lot of interesting speculative science in both books which I found fascinating. Just as with all good super heroes, it's an accident that gives them spider-powers, or great strength, and so on, and so too Cassidy goes unwillingly into this rare group of gifted humans.

Book 2 now explores more of the 'beast' that's circulating inside of Cassidy, and how well she's able to control it. She's now fighting bad guys that can really compete with her powers which is always a hallmark of a worthy hero, how powerful the villain you have to fight.

I found the story line a bit hard to follow, but it all made sense in the end, so I decided that it must be me. The author goes back in history to create a weapon that gives a person powers well beyond even the strongest human, using technology from an other-worldy source. I would have liked to explore this avenue more just because I love an archetypal story line.

Cassidy is now facing some tough decisions as she continues to mature, and it will interesting to see how it plays out. There are lots of deep dark secrets to explore; Emory's father, is he evil? Emory's friends; who are they? Jared seems to see too much, can Cassidy trust him? Is her little brother some kind of genius? Nice story lines and lots to keep the reader interested without too much violence and no sexual content.

Great series for young people. I'd recommend it, and in fact I have a 9 year old niece that the series would be perfect for.

Outlaw Pete
Outlaw Pete
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful first effort by a rock star, November 11, 2014
This review is from: Outlaw Pete (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully illustrated book, but far from whimsical, as the cover might suggest. Bruce Springsteen has given us decades of raw, emotional stories of the lives of ordinary, and sometimes tragic characters, and Outlaw Pete is one of the most tragic. While this is a children's book, it's an adult story about how our past can catch up with us no matter what amends we might want to make. It's karma at its finest.

The rhyming is unusual, and I found it charming. It's also a very bloody, violent book with illustrations to match, and at times its as though the page of the book itself, is drenched in blood. We never learn the reason that Outlaw Pete started off his life in such a harsh way, but maybe Bruce will write a prequel and let us know. Maybe Outlaw Pete won't seem like such a bad guy.

Here's the saddest page in the book for me.
"He found Pete

He said,
"Pete, you think
you've changed,
but you have not."--location 18 of 31

Poor Pete can't outrun his past, and eventually must deal with the burden of that past by way of a bounty hunter. I'm not sure I'd read this story to young children, but older ones(8-10) who are coming out of their fantasy thinking would certainly enjoy this book. Maybe it has a lesson in it that parents can explain to their children after reading it to them.

Everyone's a Genius: Simple Tips to Boost Your Brilliance Now
Everyone's a Genius: Simple Tips to Boost Your Brilliance Now
Price: $9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to be brilliant, November 11, 2014
This book will change your life, if you use it. I remember my mom saying once that the best diet book she ever read said to eat like a skinny person. Now you can think like a genius. I do believe that we are all geniuses and Jen Fraser has laid out, chapter by chapter, how we can use our minds as a genius would. To me genius is finding a way to take your computer(your brain) and hook it up to the Internet. Without this hookup, our brains are dependent on what we can learn from what others have gleaned from the Internet. Why not learn to get information straight from the source?

The layout of Fraser's book is simple and easy to follow. There are some great quotes from famous geniuses throughout history to steer us on the path, and some simple illustrations for those of us who need visuals. This book can be read and understood by a gradeschooler which makes it a great recommendation for young people, and of course we older folks who can use all the help with thinking that we can get.

Here is the chapter layout.
1.Choose Success
2.The Road to Paradise Myth Busting
3.Think Like a Genius You Are
4.What You Think Are You a Rat in a Cage?
5.Boost Your Brilliance
6.Death to Mediocrity
7.Shirts of Iron
Bonus: How to Change the World What Next?

Jen Fraser (2014-04-07 00:00:00+10:00). Everyone's A Genius: Simple Tips to Boost Your Brilliance Now (Kindle Locations 78-84). Kindle Edition.

I especially like the idea of sleeping on a problem. I do this when writing songs. If I get stuck, I simply wait until the next day, and I've yet to be disappointed with the solution to a particularly difficult rhyme. Or retracing what you were doing physically when you had a great idea you want to recall(this almost helps when you forget why you came into a room).

"If you can’t explain it simply,   you don’t understand it well enough." – Albert Einstein

1291-1292). Kindle Edition.

Jen Fraser can keep is simple because she thoroughly understands her subject. This is a short, simple, easy way to understand how to plug into your own brilliance.

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for a review.

The Good Son: JFK Jr. and the Mother He Loved
The Good Son: JFK Jr. and the Mother He Loved
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $11.04

5.0 out of 5 stars an intimate view of a great mother, November 8, 2014
I've read a lot of books on the Kennedys, but this book has to be one of my new favorites. It's told with such heart, and feels so intimate that I feel as if I(and several other billion people) know them like my own family. In this book I really got to know Jackie and how she brought up her two children with such class against impossible odds.

Our tabloids are filled with stories of the children of the 'rich and famous' and Caroline and John managed to live relatively normal lives with a strong emphasis on giving back. It's a shame we lost John so early, but I had the privilege of hearing him debating Rush Limbaugh on the radio one day and while no one was told who John was until afterwards, I was impressed with the caller's ability to debate Rush with reason and well-stated facts.

What I read in Andersen's book rings true as to the man I heard on the radio that day. This was no play-boy millionaire just whooping it up, John truly cared about others and devoted his life to bringing information to the masses via his magazine. Face it, John was ridiculously handsome, and rich enough to never really have to work, and one of the most famous men of our century, yet he chose to work and help others.

I believe that this all came from his mother. I didn't have to read a book to know that Jackie was a great mother, the proof is in her two children. Just look at the other Kennedy children and you can see what a fine job she did. John never raped anyone, overdosed on drugs, or just plain embarrassed himself with affairs and wives who committed suicide.

This book gives you a peek into what Jackie did right to raise such a wonderful son, a man we lost all too soon.

Larger Than Life (Novella) (Kindle Single)
Larger Than Life (Novella) (Kindle Single)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely novella, November 8, 2014
Jodi Picoult has been my go-to author for a long time, and this short story did not disappoint. I love the way Picoult compared the importance of the matriarch in an elephant herd with her character's own dysfunctional mother. Just as elephants live in herds of females, Alice lives with just her mother. Just as male elephants only visit the herd for sex, so too is Alice's story.

What the story is about is Alice's journey through life with a mother who's unpredictable, and resents Alice for stopping her mother's dreams of being a scientist. What Alice is too young to realize, is that her mother's excuses are really her own and have nothing to do with Alice, but for a long time Alice tries to please a mother who is so unhappy that nothing can ever please her much less her young daughter's sweet attempts.

Alice finally defies her mother and leaves her work with primates to work in Africa with the elephants. When she comes across an abandoned new-born elephant calf, Alice can't leave her behind, so she takes the elephant back to camp and tries to nurse her back to health.

Picoult gives us a great deal of background as to how elephants live, which gave me a greater appreciation for these wonderful beasts. It's one of the reason I love fiction so much, it make learning fun, and Picoult wraps up the learning in emotion which makes the lesson stick even better, and in fact points out from research that we do remember more from emotional events. This is not true for traumatic events which we tend to forget.

This short story was so good I went right out and bought the sequel so I could continue the story with Alice's daughter.

Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction (The Ahriman Legacy Book 1)
Ahriman: The Spirit of Destruction (The Ahriman Legacy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut novel, November 6, 2014
Ahriman is an excellent first novel. Puja Guha got a lot of things right in her international thriller. I loved the Middle East setting, Kuwait mostly, with it's strange 'democracy' where the 'king' is progressive and the congress wants to keep the people in a religious stranglehold where women have few rights. If a Westerner were asked which was better, a king or a congress, we'd probably say a democratic congress every time because we don't understand how things work in the Middle East.

Aside from a great history lesson, Guha has a great plot twist, wonderful characters, and a great ending. Her novel is pretty amazing for a debut, and it was easy to lose myself in this intense novel.

Petra, a spy for an shadowy company, has been out of the field for the past three years because of an incident that left her traumatized. When she's asked to got back into the field, Petra knows that she really doesn't have much of a choice so she revisits the place that left her emotionally scarred in order to stop an assassination that could change the world.

What happens is of course what's the book is about, so I won't go any further except to say that the plot moves along nicely and the ending worked well. What didn't work as well was the rough language in the novel. It's okay in a movie to drop the 'f-bomb' but in a novel is startled me out of the plot. Also, there were a few too many explanations for things that really didn't end up mattering in the book. Backstory is nice in one of those sprawling family dramas, but in a suspense novel only a few lines are needed, otherwise it can leak tension out all the tension.

A little less emotion in the characters,(think James Bond), otherwise the tough guys start looking sappy. All of this is minor and a good editor would have fixed them right up, but it's not a reason not to read the excellent plot that Guha has woven together, which is really the most important part of a suspense novel. And Puja Guha has done herself proud with Ahriman.

Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker
Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker
Price: $199.00
16 used & new from $199.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, November 4, 2014
I love how this speaker sounds. I bought it for my computer, because as a musician, I needed enough sound coming out of a speaker to be able to play my guitar with and record onto my iphone for demo purposes and the mini speakers just weren't cutting it. The Bose Mini gives me lots of warm sounds, and while my producer says that he doesn't use Bose because it makes things sound better than they actually are, I'm a fan of using 'makeup' on my songs whenever I get the chance.

What I also love to use this speaker for, is for watching television on my iPad while I cook dinner which can be a noisy affair. The Bose gives me sound that I can hear over all of the other noises(fans and smoke alarms going off) that might be going one during dinner preparation. I can hear all of the wonderful singing on Nashville, and the 'fast-talking' of Scandal with no problem.

Considering this speaker is blue-tooth, my husband said that it wouldn't work well, and at first I did have some trouble with it. Luckily, an Apple-Geek friend told me to go into preferences and hit the external speaker button, and now my computer asks me every time if I want to use the external headphones. I know my Bose Mini is not a headphone, but apparently my computer is confused, so I go with it.

I love my wonderful sounding Bose Mini for how great it sounds, and because it sits in its charger but I can left it out and use it anywhere. I've always been a Bose fan and I even have the first small Bose Wave radio. Great product all around.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20