Profile for Robin Landry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 331

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robin Landry "singer/songwriter" RSS Feed (Maple Valley, WA United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity Wristband, Black, Small
Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity Wristband, Black, Small
Price: $127.14
16 used & new from $119.97

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, December 16, 2014
I can't believe how much I enjoy this crazy device. I didn't buy it for me, but ended up with it so I decided to try it out. I didn't think I needed one, but surprisingly, I love it. I find myself being more active just to get to the 10,000 steps. The buzzing makes my day. I can't say how accurate it is, but for my run, it does add up to the same miles that I've calculated previously.

What I really appreciate is that way the Charge syncs up so easily to my computer. I like how I can put in what I've eaten for the day, and I hate when I disappoint my Charge by going over my food allowance for the weight I want to lose. It's like doing a weight in for Weightwatchers.

The Dashboard is easy to read and makes total sense to me. I can set goals, see how many calories I've burned compared to how many calories I've eaten. In fact, when you start to type in what you've eaten, a pull down menu comes down so you can highlight popular food and the calories. When I can't find exactly the food I've eaten because I've made it myself, I just look for something with a similar calorie count.

There's a graft that tells you what your BMI is which is either good news or frightening, but necessary. What is so great about the Fitbit, and all similar devices, is that they shine a little reality into my eating and exercise routines.

This is the only one I've ever used and I find that it's very user friendly. The light is bright and clear and it goes from time-steps-miles to stairs as you keep pressing the button. It's very comfortable to wear so much so that if I weren't so obsessive about checking my steps, I might forget it's even on.

What I don't like about the Fitbit Charge, is that while it's very secure once it's on, it's difficult to snap into place. Also, I have VERY small wrists so it's bulky on me. I would recommend a medium for almost everyone who might regularly be a small because I'm wearing it on the last notches. This makes the stiff part hang over my wrist somewhat.

One last thing, one day I pressed my FitBit in the morning to get it started(it resets itself when I take it off but I don't know how long it has to be off my wrist yet) and it said 'love ya'. It made me smile.

Standard Process Canine Thyroid Support, 100 gm
Standard Process Canine Thyroid Support, 100 gm
Offered by Whole Food Supplements
Price: $49.00
2 used & new from $49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, December 16, 2014
I go to a naturopath and take all kinds of Standard Process products so when my dog(5 year old collie) was diagnosed with low thyroid, my naturopath gave me this product for her. The vet had my dog on pills, but I'd rather go natural so I quit the pills and started using this product.

My collie had been getting pretty lazy and now she seems back to her old self again. She went from sleeping most of the day, to back out in the back yard sniffing around. She will also run and play any time I walk her instead of plodding around.

She's been on this product for a year now I'm going to keep her on it for life. I believe that the key to good health is in our food, and now my dog can live a healthier life.

Samsonite Colombian Leather Flapover Case, Brown, One Size
Samsonite Colombian Leather Flapover Case, Brown, One Size
Offered by eBags
Price: $109.99
18 used & new from $84.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous bag, December 16, 2014
I bought this bag for my husband for Christmas to replace his 10 year old leather computer case. This bag is not only gorgeous, it weighs about a fourth of what his previous bag weighs. It looks like it costs far more that the sale price of just over a hundred dollars that I paid for it. The leather is soft and supple and the color is rich and warm.

There are lots of pockets inside and when you lift the flap up, there are outside pockets which my husband requested for quick and easy access. I can't get over what a classy bag this is for the money. I would have paid far more, and in fact I've seen bags up to 900 dollars that didn't look any better. I can't say yet how this bag will wear, but I'm very happy with it now. I can't wait to give it for Christmas.

The Recalibration of Humanity: 2013 and Beyond
The Recalibration of Humanity: 2013 and Beyond
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely, December 11, 2014
If you're looking for a scientific-feel-good-common sense sort of new age book, Kryon is one of the best. The warmth that comes across the pages is a testament to both Lee Carroll and the wonderful entity he channels called Kryon. The words are clear and relevant to our times today, and make more sense than the daily news paper as to what's going on right now on our planet. Instead of dwelling on the non-sensical actions of those in charge of our world today, go inside and meet the God-within as Kryon suggests, and live in peace and knowing.

Know that "Your Higher-Self is unique in the galaxy and no other life has it. On this Earth, you do, and it is currently the only planet of free spiritual choice because of that. You are light." Location 2889 of 4438

"When you fear the dark, you give it your energy, don't you? So what is to fear?" location 2742 of 4438

There are so many answers as to what's going on right now, including the weather, the place our planet is in astrology, and Kryon even explains child prodigies. Simply and amazing book given that reads like a Master wrote it.

The Late Clara Beame
The Late Clara Beame
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice suspense novel, December 7, 2014
I've been reading Taylor Caldwell for years, but this book is the first 'light' read I've ever come across. Caldwell usually writes long complicated novels, while this book is more Agatha Christi. This is the story of a snowbound group of five friends and family with a secret that will change all of their lives when it's revealed at the end of the book.

The story starts off with the suicide of Sam, Alice's husband, and the mystery surrounding it. Alice and brother, Dr. David Gates, are invited to spend Christmas in the country with Laura and her husband Henry, in the mansion that Laura inherited from Aunt Clara, leaving Alice out in the cold.

Tensions start to build right off as Alice hates Alice for inheriting the house she loves, and when Laura is poisoned, Alice becomes a suspect. When one of Henry's clients practically invites himself to spend Christmas at the mansion, tensions nearly boil over as Laura is sure she's seen John Carr somewhere before but no one takes her seriously.

With everyone a suspect, a winter blizzard keeps them all trapped in the mansion wondering who would want Laura, or Henry dead.

While not as suspenseful as Agatha Christi, The Late Clara Beame is an interesting read from a great author. One thing I found particularly interesting was this line: "We're about to have a breakthrough on cancer, and we have diabetes practically liked, and tuberculosis can almost always be cured . . ." location 2179 of 2876 Considering this book was written in 1963, I can't help but wonder where we went wrong, since it's been 50 years since these words were written and I'm sure it reflects the beliefs of the day. Or maybe it's just more that's gone wrong with our world since we lost JFK.

Why Good People Do Bad Things: How to Stop Being Your Own Worst Enemy
Why Good People Do Bad Things: How to Stop Being Your Own Worst Enemy
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book for self introspection, December 3, 2014
This was not the easiest book to read, not because it was confusing, but because you have to confront some of your demons when reading it. And I did. As I read through the book, chapter by chapter, I applied the points that pertained to my life, and while some of it was easy, some of Ford's points surprised me.

This is a wonderful book for self-exploration. As you grasp the ideas Ford is putting forth, the ideas grasp you, but it's totally worth it because the more responsibility you take for your life, the more you can change your life into what you want instead of just being buffeted by the winds of fate.

So here's the gist of this remarkable book: we are all born whole, just look at babies. They never care what any thinks, they cry when they want, and laugh and just basically let emotions roll right through them. As they grow, they are taught that certain emotions are not okay so they push that part of themselves aside until they allow their wounded ego to take over and run their life because their authentic self has not been allowed.

We are dual creatures, part divine, part beast. The beast side of us goes by the law of the jungle, eat or be eaten. The divine side tells us that we're all one and what we do to others is what we do to ourselves.

Now saying that we should get rid of the beast side is crazy because we need a healthy ego or we'd never strive for anything, or even get dressed in the morning. What Ford is teaching is to acknowledge the beast side and use it. Yes we can all be tempted by the 7 deadly sins, but we can also control them.
We can take pride in our appearance and not wear our pajamas in public.
We can be greedy which can be controlled into working hard for what we want.
We can be lazy, because sometimes it's appropriate to give ourselves a break from the stress of our lives and take a day to just be.
We can be gluttonous and control it by being a fabulous cook.

Read this book and get control over your vices and learn to enjoy being human is the message that I believe Ford is trying give us.

The Color War (Kindle Single)
The Color War (Kindle Single)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars short but sweet, December 3, 2014
While I enjoyed the story, I felt it ended to abruptly. I was just getting to love Raymond, the young boy in the story, and then it was over. Maybe I'm just not a fan of short stories . . .

The plot is a young black boy is sent to a camp for inner city kids to get a taste of the outdoors, learn to swim, shoot a bow, and other outdoor activities that aren't found in the city. Raymond is nine years-old and is depressed because he doesn't have his friend Monroe around anymore. His single mother hears about a free camp and signs Raymond up for 3 weeks of fun, though Raymond has his doubts.

On the bus, Raymond meets and angel in the form of a teenage camp councilor who's blond and beautiful and kind to Raymond. She teaches swimming so Raymond pretends he knows nothing in order to not be moved out of her class. Raymond promptly falls in love with his angel, so he's disappointed, it's profound.

Raymond is a wonderful character who I hope is the lead player in a future Picoult novel. I've yet to read another author who handles sensitive subjects as well as Picoult, and it's always a pleasure to read anything she writes.

Where There's Smoke: A Short Story
Where There's Smoke: A Short Story
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, November 30, 2014
I read this book after I read Leaving Time because I wanted to spend more time with the characters, and this book gives us the background on Serenity Jones the pink-haired psychic who is hired by Jenna to find her mother. Where There's Smoke gives the reader the back-story on how Serenity lost her mojo when trying to find the Senator's missing son on her television show.

I loved delving into the mind of a psychic to learn how it all works. I trust Picoult to do her homework, and in this short story she creates a very credible character that reminded me of the Long Island Madame, more than just a little. Serenity deserves a novel to go along with this short story and her co-staring role in Leaving Time. She smart and sassy, and endlessly interesting. I don't know when I've enjoyed a character more.

This short story can stand alone, or read in addition to Leaving Time. I've heard that short stories are difficult, but Jodi Picoult makes it look easy as she moves between full-length novels and short stories. I really enjoyed this book

Leaving Time: A Novel
Leaving Time: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful, November 28, 2014
It's not many authors who can give you characters you love, a suspense story you can't stop reading, and enough education on a subject that you feel almost like an expert the way Jodi Picoult can. I don't know why the story of Jenna, a teenage girl looking for her mother who disappeared ten years ago, hit me so hard, but I loved this book so much that I had to read the other two novellas that gave me more backstory on the novel. I just didn't want to ever leave these characters.

Jenna is a very determined 13 year-old who bullies a washed-up psychic with pink hair(think Long Island madame), and an equally deadbeat ex-cop(think Bruce Willis) into helping her find her mother who disappeared 10 years ago. Because of how wonderful a researcher Jodi Picoult is, I learned so much about how psychics think and how they do what they do, along with so much about elephants and their plight, that I donated to their cause with the hyperlink at the end of the book.

The suspense in this novel is so taunt that I found myself making excuses while on vacation to 'nap' or to go to bed early so I could get back to the story to see how it ended. By the time I got to the ending, all of my preconceived notions of what was going to happen were blown out of the water. As with Picoult's book 'My Sister's Keeper' I didn't see the ending coming. And, it was better than I had expected and made total sense, AND made me want to start reading the whole book over again to catch all of the clues that now made sense.

Picoult really knows how to write a great suspense novel. Plus, she really knows how to make characters that the reader cares about and remembers long after the book is finished. I even loved the elephants in the book as if they were real too. It's sad what we do to elephants in our ignorance but maybe a book like this that gets read by a lot of people, really can make a difference.

One of the main characters in the book studies elephants speculates that they might be a more evolved species than man. Now that I know more about elephants, I might have to agree. Even the name (el)ephants hints that they might be more than we can imagine(el means God, as in Elohim). Regardless, now that we know more about these wonderful animals and how important family is to them, it would do us good to give them and our own family units the respect they deserve.

Crucial M550 1TB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT1024M550SSD1
Price: Click here to see our price
68 used & new from $430.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my "new" faster computer, November 23, 2014
I bought this drive on the recommendation of my producer because music takes up so much memory that I really needed a drive that could keep up. I have a Macbook Pro which started out with 550GB of memory, and after cloning my old hard drive onto this new one, I have over 800GB left on my computer. I may not know much about computers, but I know that I have lots of room now to run memory-sucking programs like garage band, and my computer is now faster than ever.

The cloning took time, a few hours, and when it was finished, the new hard drive went into my Mac and without needing the adjusting piece that came with the hard drive. I also learned that my 2011 Macbook is one of the last Macs that you can change out the hard drive which makes me really happy. I don't know when I'll need to upgrade my computer again, but I'm guessing that it's not going to be for a long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20