Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Thomas K > Reviews

Browse

Thomas K's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas K RSS Feed (Palo Alto, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Corbin Modern Style Charcoal Gray Finish Cal King Size Flax Fabric Bed Frame Set
Offered by 24/7 SHOP AT HOME
Price: $322.00
2 used & new from $322.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice solid headboard and frame, good quality, assembled in less than 1 hour with just an allen wrench, May 7, 2016
As most of the other reviews have stated, this is a really good deal. It'd be easy to pay twice as much for this level quality - but why would you?

To be clear about quality: This definitely isn't "last forever, pass down to your heirs" kind of furniture, and the padded headboard is light enough for one person to lift (meaning, it's nice fabric wrapped around some foam padding and light wood) -- but the quality is very good.

The construction is really sturdy, and the frame and mattress support are VERY solid - supporting our (cal king) mattress by the frame (four legs) and two metal bars running the length of the bed which each have three level-adjusting legs for support from the floor (for six more supports). Our old (expensive) bed frame only supported the mattress at four corners with one extra leg in the middle. This one gives us 10 legs supporting the mattress.

There were no issues with fabric color: It was the same charcoal in the picture (slightly lighter than a medium grey).

Lastly, assembly was a piece of cake. All you need is an allen wrench, which is supposed to be included in one of the boxes. I think I might have accidentally tossed the included one because I couldn't find it, but just used my own. The bolts, lock washers and flat washers all seem to be good quality (I've gotten cheap furniture kits before which included bolts that fail or strip - which was not an issue here). Took me about an hour, with most of that time tightening 24 allen bolts. There's no other fine assembly required, and the wood cross-members that support your mattress use solid plastic pieces that connect the wood planks together and then push into pre-drilled holes in the support bars and bed frame.

So, we got ourselves a nice solid headboard and bed frame for our cal king, for less than $400, that only took an hour and an allen wrench to assemble. Not bad at all.

Korg SP280BK 88-Key Digital Piano with Speaker
Korg SP280BK 88-Key Digital Piano with Speaker
Price: $699.99
15 used & new from $699.99

5.0 out of 5 stars That real-piano feel with all the neat digital stuff you need!, October 8, 2015
I've always preferred digital pianos for composing and the convenience of being able to put on the headphones and jam without bothering anyone, but I also need the feel of a real piano. This Korg gives you both and much more. Previously owned a Kurzweil for more than a decade, but needed an upgrade -- something new, with the weighted piano keys, polyphony that can handle any number of simultaneous notes without distortion, and MIDI to connect to my computer to record and notate in GarageBand or Logic Pro. The Korg works perfect as a stand-alone piano anyone can play, and has all the support for the more advanced computer (MIDI) stuff I need to do as well. I love the sounds (I just tend to add more Reverb and Chorus for that big auditorium feel), and it does everything I need without any other useless clutter (like percussion accompaniment, which you can get through your own software or GarageBand now anyway) or overly confusing interface. The Korg feels great, with a good solid key feel and, as other comments have noted, the speakers are really excellent. Bonus for me is knowing I can plug in other instruments to hear through the Korg, or add external speakers if I ever need to.

UPDATE: I was concerned about the headphone jack located in lower back of the unit, because it's kind of difficult to use frequently -- BUT just discovered there's a *second* headphone jack on the front which solves my only issue. Oops - user error and/or failure to fully read the manual. I just didn't notice that second jack before! Now I'm wishing I could give more stars. I love (now) knowing two of us can join in listening (and still not wake up the kids :)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Windsor Laptop Stand (Black Cherry)
Windsor Laptop Stand (Black Cherry)
Offered by RandomBy
Price: $79.99
9 used & new from $49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm so tired of the wheels on these things going bad so quickly, August 20, 2015
I'm so tired of the wheels on these things going bad so quickly. It was good while it lasted, but in just a few months those wheels began to stick - basically making this little portable rolling stand not-so-portable, and not-so-rolling. In other words, an ugly sidetable.

Lucas Black Leather Recliner Club Chair
Lucas Black Leather Recliner Club Chair
Offered by Great Deal Furniture
Price: $189.99
2 used & new from $189.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for in-frequent and/or decorative use, but definitely not a full-time chair., August 20, 2015
Kinda small. The back isn't really high enough to support your head. The balance point for the recliner is such that you'll never actually be able to lean back and stay there (it keeps wanting to push you back forward). And, it took less than a couple months for the hard wood cross beams to become a pain in the back, thanks to sub-optimal design and padding between you and the board inside. After about a year, things began to loosen up too, so I've since replaced this chair. TL;DR: If you need something to fill a corner of a room, more for decoration and rare use - sure, it'll work. This definitely is not a full-time chair though.

Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book for next-gen marketers who are actually responsible for revenue, August 20, 2015
I've been head of marketing and strategy for startups and interesting brands for several years, and this was the first book I've ever read that is actually useful and something I frequently reference in channel, strategy and overall marketing brainstorming sessions. Why? Because it provides a comprehensive view of contemporary best-practices in marketing, without all the old baggage and fluff to which many marketers still cling. Today's marketing means you're actually responsible for revenue. If you're still doing the kind of marketing that focuses on activity and top-of-funnel vanity metrics (like how many unsuspecting tradeshow attendee badges you zapped thanks to your TV giveaway, or passing a huge seemingly impressive number of crappy MQLs to sales so you can hit your quotas), then please don't waste your time reading this. You won't get it, or you work somewhere where you can't actually apply this learning due to all the internal risk-adverse forces working against you. For everyone else who believes in the new of ways of marketing (basically, marketing without all the BS), this book and others in the series should be in your e-reader or physically sitting next to your laptop right now.

NETGEAR N300 Wall Plug Version  Wi-Fi Range Extender (WN3000RP)
NETGEAR N300 Wall Plug Version Wi-Fi Range Extender (WN3000RP)
Offered by EMBIZ
Price: $34.99
201 used & new from $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A network thingy that doesn't take all afternoon to setup!, August 20, 2015
This review is coming to you live from my new NETGEAR N300 :) I'm super happy with this purchase. The instructions and setup are really easy.

You can either connect it directly to your current Wifi router to give you a direct boost, or you can plug it into a wall outlet somewhere midway between your existing Wifi hub and the far end of your house, if you want to use this as an extender rather than another hub. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to "extend" my network clicking the little WPS button on the side, or go through the browser based setup. I chose to just click the WPS button. "NETGEAR_EXT" immediately appeared on my available Wifi's and I just connected to it using my smartphone -- which opens a webpage/setup screen that allows you to choose your existing Wifi network and then login. If all goes well, in about two minutes you'll have a new Wifi hotspot that you can name the same as your existing hotspot, but with "..._EXT" on the end. Connect, and done. Couldn't be easier. It did give me a pop-up message suggesting I can make changes to my existing Wifi/router settings to get faster speed from the extender, but honestly, it seems fast enough as is. Web loads fast on both mobile and laptop, so no need to waste more time on this task. I'm done! :)

Hycosan Extra
Hycosan Extra
Offered by Health On The Shelf
Price: $12.23
6 used & new from $11.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Use these eyedrops - they absolutely work., April 3, 2015
This review is from: Hycosan Extra (Misc.)
Dry eyes have been bothering me for years, getting increasingly bad enough that the dryness wakes me up in the middle of the night, and I'm also increasingly concerned about possible damage caused by the abrasion that happens when dry eyes are rubbing around the inside of your eyelids.

I ordered the Hycosan drops after reading the reviews and details about how these drops are completely different than the brands you buy at the drug store. So glad I did. Tried them for the first time before bed last night. These are the first and only eyedrops I've found that don't immediately make my eyes feel even MORE gritty after using them. The drops simply made my eyes feel moist - and that's it. I woke up the next morning feeling at least a 50% improvement, my dry eyes didn't wake me up in the middle of the night for the first time in over a year, and my eyes felt much more clear this morning (I didn't need to flood them with the old eyedrops and then spend 5 minutes washing and rubbing out the gritty feeling).

For almost two years, I've gone through every non-prescription eye-drop with the same result: The drops actually made my eyes feel worse - with a few seconds of moisture relief, followed by a half-hour of trying to rub the gritty sandpaper feeling out of my eyes. I also didn't want to try a prescription medication, because the list of possible side-effects (and cost, and the inconvenience of going to the doctor) are a big turn-off. I thought avoiding the eyedrops with preservatives was all I needed to worry about, but in my searches I found reference to something that seems so simple and obvious now, I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this sooner: Many people are sensitive to chemicals. If you get really dry hands when you touch dish-soap, or have unusual reactions to cleaning products or scented sprays or candles, then chances are your eyes will react to chemicals in standard eyedrops. Turns out, I think that was my problem. That gritty sand paper feeling I got immediately after using the old eyedrops is most likely a form of reaction to whatever that standard chemical is. I have had no such reaction to these drops.

Highly recommended. I only wish the product were easier to get in the US, but it just took a couple weeks to arrive from overseas. This is also the main reason the price is a bit higher - but you'll forget all about the extra few bucks after using them.

UPDATE: It's been over 4 months since I ordered these drops, and I've already ordered another couple of them. My dry-eye problems are almost a non-issue now. I just use the drops before bed (and actually have forgotten a few times -- but didn't experience any discomfort or major symptoms), and then again when I wake up. That's it. Eyes feel 100% now, other than a little irritation from allergies or dust from time to time - which is to say, normal.

Sony NEX-5RK/S 16.1 MP Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Silver) (OLD MODEL)
4 used & new from $293.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it., December 18, 2012
Just received my Sony NEX-5RK/S with the kit 18-55mm lens, along another lens I bought separately - the Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN- Sony E 330965, (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078ZYBP0/). I've only had a few hours to play around with it, but am already very impressed and happy.

I am not a professional photographer, but have used a wide range of cameras from point-and-clicks, to the Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR I've owned for more than six years. If you're a serious professional photographer, then I'm sure there are plenty of cameras better suited to your level of expertise. If you're like me, someone who just wants professional-LOOKING photos from my various outings, holidays and special occassions, then you will be very pleased with the Sony NEX-5RK.

WHY I BOUGHT IT

I bought the Sony because my old Canon was simply too bulky and not at all easy to use on vacation of family outings. I wanted something with more of the convenience of the pocket cameras, but with all the professional capabilities of the DSLRs. The Sony, even with the zoom kit lens, is small enough to fit in a jacket pocket or purse - or just use the included neck strap. The camera is so light, you won't even notice it. The shipping weight says 3 pounds, but that includes the charger and manuals. The camera alone - with lens - is probably closer to 2 pounds.

ACCESSORY NOTES

When I purchased this camera, there was a free accessory package offer I added to my order - which included a (1.) 16GB memory card, (2.) a camera bag (Case Logic DCB-304 High/Fixed Zoom Camera Case (Black) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039BPG1A/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00) and (3.) a Pogoplug device. The camera bag is perfect, and also includes a strap. If you can't get it free, I'd still recommend adding it to your order. It's worth it. WARNING: The Pogoplug devices might seem like a good travel backup - but they don't travel, and they're not a backup device. In other words, useless. Don't buy it. You can read my review of that product there.

AUTOMATIC AND MANUAL PHOTO MODES

Back to the camera: Again I'm not a professional photographer, but am familiar enough with various light and focus options. This camera gives you the option to shoot in several automatic, and preset modes, or to go full manual if you want. Either option will meet your needs - but more importantly for novice photographers like me, Sony's automatic modes and presets are WONDERFUL. I was prepared to dig into the guts with all the custom manual settings, but after spending a couple hours with mostly automatic modes, I'm VERY impressed. It's been several years since I had a new camera, and the technology on the Sony is quite surprising and exceptional.

For me, I set the camera to "SLN" mode, and from there you can use the selector wheel on top for two click access to all the presets, including Closeup, Portrait, Action, Landscape, Low light (tripod) or Low light (handheld), and several others. If, like me, you REALLY enjoy a narrow field of focus (where the subject or nearest thing is focused, but everything in the background is slightly or more blurry), you'll LOVE the Portrait and Closeup presets on this Sony. I've never had a small, almost-pocket camera that could do this before - and it's a real treat.

Basically, don't let all the details about manual modes scare you. Or, if those things do scare you, don't worry: The automatic and preset modes on this camera will seriously exceed your expectations, giving you really professional looking photos, with just a spin of the selector wheel and clicking "OK".

TAKING PICTURES

This camera does not have a view-finder like most DSLRs - but interestingly, I'm perfectly happy using the big LCD screen, like you find on most point-and-click cameras. You can buy the EVF (external viewfinder) accessory separately, but I don't think I'll need to. Besides, that same port can be used by the small flash - which is included with your box. Between a viewfinder or flash, you won't miss anything by not having the viewfinder.

My favorite new thing, which I couldn't do before, is touching the LCD screen to focus on specifically the subject I want. The camera has several automatic modes (it can even be set to snap a photo as soon as it "sees" your subject smile!), but for normal photo shooting and all the fancy stuff turned off, it was extremely quick to focus once the shutter is held halfway down, and for all other shots - especially where I used a narrow field of focus - that touch-screen focus capability is really neat.

There are several timer modes (10 second and 2 second), and the camera again surprised me with how smart it is. I turned the LCD screen around so I could see myself while taking a self-portrait. Without needing to click anything else, when I clicked the shutter, the camera automatically knew to give me 2 seconds (and showed me a timer indicator right there) before snapping the shot. Very smart.

USING THE FLASH, LOW LIGHT PHOTOS

By the way, even without a flash attached, this camera does have a built-in orange/red light used to detect distance and focus. Even in lower light conditions, I found the camera was very good at getting the range, focusing, and then automatically adjusting light and exposure as needed to produce very good shots - without any flash attached. I've read the other reviews about pretty good night time/dark photos, but still haven't had a chance to see for myself. Personally though, for every few thousands pictures I take, maybe only one is outdoors at night, with no other lights around - so I'm not too concerned.

VIDEO

There's a movie button on top of the body. Click it. Thats it!

Once you set the movie quality in the Settings menu, you never have to worry about it again. I held the camera, clicked the movie button and walked around for a few minutes, putting various subjects into view. Again, for you novice photographers out there - or even the professionals who don't want to bother with all the manul settings, taking videos on this camera is a real pleasure. I've had numerous camcorders before of varying quality, but it's been several years since the last. The Sony gives me better video than anything I've ever used before - definitely professional quality. And my favorite part, again, was the ability to just click the button and walk around - the camera automatically moved things in and out of focus as I aimed the camera at them, or moved away. And in those cases where I wanted to override the automatica stuff, and focus say on an object off to one side of the frame, all it took was a touch of the LCD screen while recording, and the Sony would move the focus to that object in less than 2 seconds. Brilliant!

APPS, SOFTWARE, WIFI, AND SMARTPHONE CAPABILITIES

Wow. Just wow. The Sony 5R has wi-fi and app capability - which means it can connect to any local wireless network AND it also acts as a wireless connection for your smartphone. This is big. I can already tell this will make a HUGE difference in how I use cameras, store and share photos and videos. The process goes like this:

(1.) You create an account on Sony's PlayMemories website. Remember this login.
(2.) When you're within range of any wireless network, you go into the Applications menu of the camera and connect to your network.
(3.) Now, the camera itself can act like a wireless computer, and can download apps, filter effects and connect with your PlayMemories account. Download and install the Sony apps for your camera shown in the camera's Applications area.
(4.) Make your smartphone even smarter. If you have an Android or iPhone smartphone, search the app store for PlayMemories and download both apps. One is so your phone can mange your local photos and upload to the PlayMemories site or Facebook to share photos. The second app is the REALLY neat one. It makes your smartphone into a remote control and storage device for your camera. Once you've installed the PlayMemories Mobile app on your smartphone, and the Smartphone Remote app on your camera (which you do in the previous step), you connect your smartphone directly to your camera, via the Wireless Network Settings on your smartphone. The camera itself gives off a wifi ID and gives you a password, so you can connect to it with your smartphone, like you woudl connect to any other wireless network. Neat.
(4.A.) The best thing about this Remote is that I can be holding the camera or place it anywhere within range - and whatever is visible through the camera's lens will appear on my smartphone. In other words, not only can you finally be in your own pictures - and NOT have to run real fast once you click the timer button - but you can be part of almost any picture you can imagine. Just set the camera, and use your smartphone to click the shutter and often as you want. Brilliant. I can finally get good photos of me sitting with my wife in the park, or of me and the kids *while* we're playing together. Every time you want to connect the remote, you just connect your smartphone to your camera's wireless transmitter, and open the app.

OVERALL

It's amazing what you can do with this camera - the quality and range of both automatic and manual modes, having both high quality photo and video capability, its compact size and light weight, with options to change lenses, plug-in other accessories too, aloing with the Wi-Fi, smartphone app and remote operation capabilities. There simply are no "CONS" for me. Thumbs-up, 5 stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2013 5:20 AM PST

Pogoplug Backup and Sharing Device (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Pogoplug Backup and Sharing Device (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $9.49
85 used & new from $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm just glad it was free..., December 18, 2012
The Pogoplug was part of a free package included with my purchase of my Sony NEX-5RK camera. Good thing too, because I would have been seriously upset if I had paid money for this.

This is basically a device that creates a connection between your home network and the Pogoplug website. That's it.

This is not a storage device: You connect your own USB hard-drive or your camera's SD card to the device, and then you can browse those files on the Pogoplug website. In other words, rather than connecting the hard drive or SD card you already have, to the computer you already have, to upload and share through online storage or social services you already have, you would use the Pogoplug device and online service.

Pros: It's pretty.

Cons: As soon as I read the instructions saying "connect this device to your router..." I knew it was going to be useless. Maybe I misread the description, but I was under the impression that this was a storage device I could take with me on travels, and use it as a backup when my camera's SD card(s) filled up. It's not.

The Pogoplug sits in your home or office, perminently attached to your router, and simply acts as a hub for your own storage devices. It then enables a WIRED connection between those devices and the Pogoplug website - where you can then browse those pictures and other files sitting right there next to you, in that hard drive or SD card you just connected to the Pogoplug.

This device is totally unecessary if you have a storage service already, like Dropbox, iCloud, or Google Drive.

For example, the Sony camera has wifi/app capabilities which allow my smartphone to access photos on the camera. From there, I can easily copy them to Dropbox and/or post to Facebook.

So, thumbs-down on the Pogoplug. But now, I need to go buy some more SD cards so I don't run out of space while travelling.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2013 1:54 PM PST

Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN- Sony E 330965
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN- Sony E 330965
11 used & new from $144.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great "everyday" lens, December 18, 2012
Just received this lens to go with my Sony NEX-5RK. The camera included a 18-55mm lens, but after some testing, I'm pretty comfortable using this Sigma lens as the default lens for everyday, random photos for vacation, soccer games or whatever. It has no optical zoom like the kit or other lenses, but (1.) you can use digital zoom within the camera itself, if necessary, and (2.) out of the box, with no digital zoom, this lens is already perfect for most portrait and action shots. And if you're taking landscape photos, you have more than enough megapixels to crop what you want later and still end up with a great shot.

Pros: All of the above.

Cons: (sort of) Before reading the other reviews here, I also received the lens and immediately was concerned when I noticed something was moving around inside. I wouldn't call it a "rattle" like other comments, but just something inside that is moving freely. You only notice it though when you physically shake the lens. Otherwise, in normal operation, that part - whatever it is - doesn't seem to move around or make a sound.

Page: 1 | 2