Profile for R. Newton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Newton RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Freedom Spot Photon 4G Mobile Hotspot (Platinum)
Freedom Spot Photon 4G Mobile Hotspot (Platinum)
6 used & new from $43.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm satsified..., August 16, 2014
I bought a refurbished model a few months ago for $19.95. I wanted to have a backup device as my AT&T U-verse will misbehave once in a while and we go without internet access. It's good to have a backup plan, right? I just wanted to have the free 500MB activated, that's all. Fortunately I was able to do so. I did fall for the "premier" services free trial and it took a month or two to get them to take if off my bill, but they finally did. No issues since then. I'm happy with the device -- it serves my purpose as backup internet.

Fotodiox Lens Hood for Pentax Ph-Rba SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Zoom Lens (Replaces Pentax 38741)
Price: $5.12

1.0 out of 5 stars but it is not as good as the OEM ones than come with a lens, July 23, 2014
I have a brand new K-50 with the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses. I ordered this because the kit lens did not come with a hood. It does not fit very well. When you thread it on, it never seems to go on quite straight, it's at an angle, and kind of loose. It would do in a pinch I suppose, but it is not as good as the OEM ones than come with a lens.

Fotodiox Dedicated Lens Hood, for Pentax 50-200mm Autofocus Digital Lens - Replacement of Pentax PH-RBB52 Lens Hood
Price: $7.58
2 used & new from $7.58

1.0 out of 5 stars I have a brand new K-50 with the 18-55 and ..., July 23, 2014
I have a brand new K-50 with the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses. I ordered these because the kit lenses did not come with Pentax hoods. This hood does not fit the 50-200 at all. It is the wrong size.

Dell Inspiron i3647-3847BK Desktop and Dell E2014H 19.5-Inch Monitor
Dell Inspiron i3647-3847BK Desktop and Dell E2014H 19.5-Inch Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy!, June 12, 2014
I bought this computer to replace an aging eMachines with Windows 7. The case is quite compact compared to the typical desktop box and it fits on the top of my desk easily. It's much quicker booting up than my previous machine and response time is much better. Unlike many other computers it does not have a bunch of bloat-ware already installed. A wireless adapter is built-in so I have fewer cables strung around -- the printer and router are connected by wireless instead of by cable. It's a great desktop for internet access, email, running MS-Office, Quicken, etc. I am not a gamer but I suspect that this might not be a gamer's computer. It even came with a pair of Dell speakers, though they were not listed in the product description.

This is a great value for the price, highly recommended. I added the free "Classic Shell" for Windows 8.1 so I could have the familiar "start" button.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2014 7:55 PM PDT

HDMI 3-In 1-Out HDMI Auto Switch with 1.5 feet Cable
HDMI 3-In 1-Out HDMI Auto Switch with 1.5 feet Cable
Offered by So Cool Mart
Price: $5.90
55 used & new from $3.80

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA, April 20, 2014
It was dead on arrival. Device did not work at all, either automatically or manually - no signal going though.

TiVo Roamio HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player (TCD846500)
TiVo Roamio HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player (TCD846500)
Price: $169.99
20 used & new from $145.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new Tivo Model!, February 27, 2014
I've had two TIVOs before. This new one is by far the best. I just cut the cord -- no cable and no cable bill. The TIVO does a nice job of aggregating your viewing options -- channel lineup, Netflix, Hulu Plus. When you search for a program or movie the TIVO tells you everywhere it can be found. Added bonus -- I seem to be getting more shows in HD than when I used the cable provider. For example, I now can watch "Mad Men" though Netflix in HD. When I watched on Showtime through cable it was not HD.

Dell Inspiron i15RV-1333BLK 15.6" Laptop PC - Intel Core i3 / 6GB Memory / 500GB HD / DVD±RW / Webcam / Windows 8
Offered by TECHarvard
Price: $410.00
26 used & new from $261.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bargain Laptop!, February 23, 2014
Bought one at a local Wal-Mart for $298. Comes with 500GB hard drive, 6GB RAM, optical drive, Windows 8, 15.6 inch screen. It even has a built-in web camera. No bloatware installed. It's hard to find a name-brand computer at this price with an optical drive. The extra 2GB ram compared to most models at this price-pint is a bonus. The case feels a little cheap, but for the price I can get over it. It's probably not a great gaming computer but for typical use it's great. Considering it has the optical drive and a full-size screen, it is fairly thin and light. A real bargain in my book. I hope it holds up for a while!

Microsoft Windows 8.1 - Full Version
Microsoft Windows 8.1 - Full Version
Price: $109.99
46 used & new from $75.00

2.0 out of 5 stars What Were They Thinking?!, February 23, 2014
I have been a PC user since the early 1980s and have used every version of Windows since Windows 3. I recall even tinkering with a pre-Windows 3 version back in late 1980s. I've seen them all. My current desktop has Windows 7, which I have never had trouble with except a printer driver on an old HP laser printer. I bought a new laptop this weekend with Windows 8 installed and did the Windows 8.1 free upgrade (after hours of trying to figure out how to coax Windows into doing it; still don't know how I did it). I cannot understand what they were going for with this version. Windows 8 is more-or-less unusable unless you install the "Classic Shell" freeware. It might or might not make sense for casual use on a personal tablet with a touch screen. For a desktop or laptop computer where you are trying to get some work done, not so much. Having seen Windows 8.0/8.1 I would prefer a downgrade to Windows 7.

Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale, White
Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale, White
Price: $124.99
17 used & new from $121.52

1.0 out of 5 stars Sent me a Used one that doesn't work!, January 28, 2014
I bought a new one a few days ago, Amazon fulfilled. The box came unsealed. When I opened the box the batteries were already installed, contrary to what the setup guide indicated. There was supposed to be a plastic tab to pull out. Then I noticed that there were footprints on the scale. Obviously this was used / open-box item and was sent to me as new one. Besides all of that, it doesn't work. Setup won't run correctly at all. I have been ordering from Amazon for a dozen years and I have never been sent a used product instead of a new one. I am not happy at all!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2014 8:53 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Perfectly, October 7, 2012
In spite of the fact that the Fuji X10 has a non-standard filter size this Marumi 40mm fits perfectly. You can still put the Fuji metal lens cap on if you want and the camera will still fit in the Fuji X10 leather case, filter, lens cap and all!

Page: 1 | 2