Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Billy > Reviews

Browse

Billy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Billy RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo: Combat Evolved
Offered by META Gaming
Price: $40.00
615 used & new from $0.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Classic..., December 3, 2004
This review is from: Halo: Combat Evolved (Video Game)
When HALO hit stores it was an instant classic selling millions. Its the reason I bought my XBOX, and I must say that I have been playing and enjoying this game for the past 3 years. That said I will go ahead and give the VALUE of this game a 10/10.

Now on to the rest.

Graphics: The background graphics AMAZED me. When playing this game I constantly find myself getting distracted by the beautiful distant landscape. And to top that off you get greatly rendered halo aliens and the Master Chief. The time that the graphics greatly dissapoint me are during the UGLY cut scenes that are thrown into the game. The cut scenes add a great deal of fun to the game...but all the humans look as if they're made out of blocks...rather dissapointing.

9.5/10

Gameplay: Original...I would have never thought about the LEFT thumbstick moving the player and the RIGHT to look around till I played halo. You also have the ability to change the controls...perhaps they could have given you the ability to completely customize the controls, but they have so many different options that it wouldnt really matter.

10/10

Sound: Good music. Good alien sounds. Good human sounds. What else can I say?

10/10

Multiplayer: GREAT. Be careful though, hooking up 4 xboxs with 15 other friends and lots of coke and pizza might just keep you up all night. NEVER play HALOS multiplayer on a school night.

10/10

Overall:9.9

NEAR perfect if it wern't for those cutscenes. And did I mention that the game is near bug-free? You wont be finding yourself stuck inside a wall in this game. OK, enough said...

RECCOMENDED

Rubinstein Collection, Vol. 36 (Piano Concertos 1-5; Andante & Variations)
Rubinstein Collection, Vol. 36 (Piano Concertos 1-5; Andante & Variations)
13 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect...well, almost., December 1, 2004
Artur Rubinstein is one of my favorite performers. His technique is great. I love his touch on the piano. His performances are also great on these CD's. Infact these are probably some of my favorite recordings of the Beethoven Concertos. There are a couple downfalls though.

1. First off, the most important. The sound quality on these discs are not top notch. The piano and orchestra can be heard, but not without an annoying hiss above it. This is bearable in the first two CD's of the collection, but on the third CD on the "Beethoven Sonata" and the "Haydn Variations" sometimes it can be very hard to hear. Although during the concertos, the orchestra will get so loud at times, that the hiss doesnt excist.

2. There are some obvious splicings in this CD. While listening to the concertos I would occasionally notice very abrupt dynamic changes, evidence of splicing. I believe the editors could have done a better job on this. Although, these are few and far between, and may be looked over.

Overall, I knew as soon as I bought these CD's they were automatically some of my favorites. Rubinstein brings wonderful interpretations, and is in perfect time with the orchestra.

Reccomended.

Halo 2 - Xbox
Halo 2 - Xbox
Price: $19.97
371 used & new from $0.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, November 22, 2004
This review is from: Halo 2 - Xbox (Video Game)
GREAT GAME.
GRAPHICS: The Graphics have greatly improved since the original Halo. The bump-mapping has done a great deal for the game. Throw a plasma grenade on the ground and watch the lighting effects.
10/10
SOUND: I love the sound in this game, great music, and great sound effects. My only complaint is that the warthog sounds less "scary" and the smgs sound more like fully-auto cap guns instead of real guns. but other than that the sound is great.
9.7/10
GAMEPLAY: FUN! I love the new addition of dual weilding. I also like the way that you can board and enemy vehicle. These are just a couple of the many things that have greatly added to the already fun gameplay of HALO.
10/10
STORY (no spoilers): Good story. There have been many complaints about the ending...but I thought the story was very immersive. I loved it. Although the ending was SLIGHTLY dissapointing.
9.8/10
MULTIPLAYER: In Halo this was one of the main attractions. In Halo 2 multiplayer could have made a game. Its incredibly fun and addicting. Now with the new addition of LIVE you can play with new or old friends while on completely different continents. Multiplayer is what helped make this game what it is...a great game.
10/10
VALUE: Definatly a game that will keep you occupied for years.
10/10
OVERALL: Halo 2 leaves me completely breathless...well, it leaves me with enough breath to say "DAMN!"
SCORE:9.9

GREAT GAME.

9.7/10

9.8/10

10/10

VALUE: Definatly a game that will keep you occupied for years.

SCORE:9.9

Project Gotham Racing 2 - Xbox
Project Gotham Racing 2 - Xbox
Offered by PNP Games
Price: $9.95
340 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars great game, October 18, 2004
Get this game, its GREAT. No matter how good or bad you are, you can change the difficulty BEFORE the race. There are many reviewers who have been complaining about this game being too hard. And although I must say it is very difficult, I have met MANY people online who have beaten this on the HARDEST setting...it is therefore NOT impossible. This is not a game for those people who want to start out with an Enzo or TVR Speed 12, it does take time, but is overall worth it. Oh, by the way, did I mention the Great graphics, great sound (sometimes with an annoying sound track, but the ability to burn and listen to your own CD's), and great gameplay? I HIGHLY reccomend this game.

The Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book II
The Glenn Gould Edition - Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book II
Price: $13.91
62 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, August 23, 2004
Why is the Well-Tempered Clavier 2 not as famous as the first Well-Tempered Clavier? I dont know. But just to let you know, I prefer Glenn Goulds recording of this 2nd Clavier book over the first. There are many reasons. The first is that Glenn Gould takes a good tempo on almost all of the preludes and fugues, unlike on the first book. Dont get me wrong though, the first Well Tempered clavier vol. 1 recording is also one of my favorite recordings. The second reason is that he does a VERY GOOD job on bringing out the voices in the fugues of book 2. The third is that there is wonderful sound quality. There are also many other reasons, but I cant name them all right now. I just happen to like this recording better...HIGHLY reccomended.

CHOPIN: Sonatas - Scherzi - Ballades
CHOPIN: Sonatas - Scherzi - Ballades
Price: $12.02
20 used & new from $7.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, July 26, 2004
Overall, these CD's are just amazing...Abbey Simon offers wonderful interpretations of some of the worlds most beloved peices on TWO CD's of the highest quality sound. And all of this for a very low price.

I adore his interpretation of the sonatas, each has a mixture of desperation and affection. I say affection because Abbey Simon has affection for playing Chopin like its meant to be. Chopin is long dead of course, but his music lives on through Abbey Simon. You will find the same affection throughout all of the tracks on these CD's.

I have quite a collection of Classical CD's, and one of the few that I keep coming back to is this one, you wont regret buying these CD's.

The Gould Variations: The Best of Glenn Gould's Bach
The Gould Variations: The Best of Glenn Gould's Bach
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $7.49
45 used & new from $0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great CD..., June 9, 2004
If you like Bach and Gould, this is a great CD to start out on, it covers a large variety of recordings by Glenn Gould, and is a great introduction to Bach. Overall this CD is a wonderful sampler, it'll make you want to go out and buy all of his Bach CD's. You wont regret buying this CD, it's something to cherish for years.

Bach: English Suites, BWV 806-811
Bach: English Suites, BWV 806-811
34 used & new from $1.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, May 28, 2004
When Bach wrote the English Suites I'm sure he wanted them to be exiting, relaxing, enjoyable to listen to, ect... When Gould plays Bach's English Suites, he conqueres all of these aspects...perfectly. Because of this you will find yourself listening to these CD's over and over again, without getting bored of them. Gould's interpretations were always different, in many different ways. For an example: he sometimes had the tendancy to exaggerate greatly on the tempo markings by either slowing things down or speeding them up, either way they are still fun to listen to. But one thing that he would always show in his recordings was his control over the piano, and the fact that he could play the piano and make it seem as if he himself were talking to us. This is shown abundantly in the recording of the English Suites.

Glenn Gould: A State of Wonder - The Complete Goldberg Variations 1955 & 1981
Glenn Gould: A State of Wonder - The Complete Goldberg Variations 1955 & 1981
Price: $15.48
84 used & new from $4.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Reccomended, May 27, 2004
The more you listen to the Goldberg Variations, the more you will like them. Thats what makes these CD's so great, no matter how many times you listen to them, you will never get bored. Glenn Gould's interpretations are as far apart as the North and South pole, the first (1955) is fast and overall enjoyable to listen to, the second (1981) is much slower on most sections, its like Gould is talking to you through the Goldberg variations, almost as if its something he learned how to do from 1955 to 1981... the 1981 recording is in a way much more emotional. The third CD has Glenn Gould talking with Tim Page about his recordings, which is very fun to listen to. On the second track of the 3rd CD, it has the studio outtakes, which are kindof hard to hear, but are incredibly amusing. This collection is a MUST HAVE for all people who are interested in Bach, Glenn Gould... or both.

Page: 1 | 2