Profile for Sheri Newton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 548

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sheri Newton RSS Feed (Ashville, AL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Writing Wild: Forming a Creative Partnership with Nature
Writing Wild: Forming a Creative Partnership with Nature
by Tina Welling
Price: $12.30
55 used & new from $8.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing Wild, July 10, 2014
Writing Wild by Tina Welling is the type of book that is about writing, but it also helps to make the writer aware that nature influences how and sometimes why we write. Even if you aren’t writing about nature exactly, it can definitely set the spirit of what your topic is about. Find out how you can use this to your benefit with this book!

Writing Wild made me see how nature definitely influences my writing style. I often write in my room, where I can’t see any bit of nature at all – except on the background image of my desktop computer that sits above my laptop. However, with a fresh perspective and location change of where I write, what I’m writing changes, too. Even though I don’t write about topics that are specifically about nature, it has helped shine on some of what I write.

This book can help you to see how forming a relationship and being a part of nature can help you creatively, how it can help your skills, and much more! Tina Welling fills this book with helpful tips and truly does an excellent job of making this book a valuable resource to that all writers can benefit from. I highly recommend it!

* Thank you to the publisher of Writing Wild, New World Library, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

The Art of Neil Gaiman
The Art of Neil Gaiman
by Hayley Campbell
Price: $28.96
75 used & new from $19.57

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Neil Gaiman, July 10, 2014
This review is from: The Art of Neil Gaiman (Hardcover)
The Art of Neil Gaiman by Hayley Campbell is a beautifully written and crafted tribute to the talented man, Neil Gaiman. Written by a friend who had access to his personal archives and stories, this is definitely a book that any fan of Neil Gaiman will appreciate for years to come!

The Art of Neil Gaiman is the type of book that once someone gets, they cherish it. If you want to give someone a book as a gift that is a fan of Mr. Gaiman, this will be a present that they will love! It is the high quality that can be shown off as a coffee table book, displayed in a bookcase, or sit on the nightstand for enjoyable reading after a day’s work.

I was a fan of his work before I read this book, but now I am even more of a fan and want to read and see more of his work! This book is in full color and has hundreds of illustrations, pictures, and scans of mementos that you’ll find while reading it. Ms. Campbell does an excellent job creating a world in a book for us to explore the artwork of this talented man, and I’m sure I’ll have fun going through it over and over again for many years. I highly recommend it!

* Thank you to the publisher of The Art of Neil Gaiman, Harper Design, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Home Behind the Sun: Connect with God in the Brilliance of the Everyday
Home Behind the Sun: Connect with God in the Brilliance of the Everyday
by R. Jason Locy
Price: $15.47
67 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Behind the Sun, July 6, 2014
Home Behind the Sun by Timothy Willard and Jason Locy is a book that helps us to connect with God in the everyday surroundings of our life. This book is inspiring, insightful, and indeed a very good read.

Home Behind the Sun is a book about faith, but it isn’t in your face with bible scriptures or telling you that what you are doing with your life is going to send you on a one way trip to hell. The authors write in a very flowing, easy to read manner that made me also connect with what they were writing. The message is basically to be more truthful with yourself, your life, your thoughts, and your spirituality. This will ultimately lead you to a happier life where you are connected to God and leading the path that is truly set out for you.

Overall, I enjoyed this read and think that everyone would benefit from reading. It is filled with quotes, stories, and more for you to relate with and share with others. I highly recommend it.

* Thank you to the publisher of Home Behind the Sun, Thomas Nelson, as part of their BookLook Bloggers program, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Love, Skip, Jump: Start Living the Adventure of Yes
Love, Skip, Jump: Start Living the Adventure of Yes
Offered by HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Skip Jump... and say Yes!, July 6, 2014
Love Skip Jump by Shelene Bryan is an inspiring book about how saying "Yes" to God and the opportunities placed in front of you. Sometimes it isn't easy saying yes, and for that reason, I knew I had to read this book!

Love Skip Jump feels like an open letter to you as you read it. Calling you to take action and be more positive and open to receiving God and faith into your life. I enjoyed how this book is spiritual while still keeping it fun and enjoyable to read. This is a truly uplifting read that leaves the reader feeling encouraged and motivated to make positive changes in their life.

So, stop saying "no", and start saying "yes" to the positive things God has planned for you. You don't know where that one yes may lead you in your life, and that is the point - God has it planned for you, and it is something that is most likely not what you have originally thought or planned out for your life, but that is where the adventure is!

This is a great book that I highly recommend to readers of all ages and faiths.

* Thank you to the publisher of Love Skip Jump, Thomas Nelson, as part of their BookLook Bloggers program, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Paradise in Plain Sight: Lessons from a Zen Garden
Paradise in Plain Sight: Lessons from a Zen Garden
by Karen Maezen Miller
Price: $12.09
47 used & new from $8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise in Plain Sight, July 6, 2014
Paradise in Plain Sight by Karen Maezen Miller is a book that offers life lessons from a zen garden. It isn’t necessarily a book about zen or gardening, but it offers a bit of both. It is a metaphor, and yet it isn’t. It is excellent, thought provoking, and perhaps teaches the things in life that we all want, yet take for granted each day.

Paradise in Plain Sight is a beautifully written book. The author does an excellent job portraying her message of finding paradise in your own life, even though it may not seem like such a paradise right now. Through her story of bringing her 100 year old Japanese garden back to life, she is able to do this, and much more.

This book is full of helpful, eye-opening clarities of life, if you only take the time to read them. Moving ahead on the path that you want is simply a matter of doing it and going straight on the way you choose.

I completely enjoyed this book and learned a lot from it. I think that this book would benefit so many people, I highly recommend it!

* Thank you to the publisher of Paradise in Plain Sight, New World Library, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Apocalypse: A Novel
Apocalypse: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $11.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Apocalypse, July 6, 2014
Apocalypse by Dean Crawford is a mystery thriller novel that features Ethan Warner, a bail bondsman and ex-war correspondent. In this novel, he is doing everything he can to stop the villain that wants to destroy the world.

Apocalypse is a well written book that doesn’t just encompass one genre. Crawford is able to capture the best parts of an action, adventure, mystery, thriller, and science fiction and neatly package it up into one enjoyable read.

This book, the Bermuda triangle is drawn to attention with the disappearance of a private jet that vanishes without a trace, full of important scientists and Joaquin Abell, a very famous philanthropist. I love this twist to the book because the Bermuda triangle disappearances have always fascinated me.

Ethan Warner and Nicola Lopez are called to Miami to investigate the murder of scientist Charles Purcell’s family. Purcell had been working on “time” with NASA and more recently, with Abell, the wealthy philanthropist who also was on that missing private jet. Can Warner and Lopez solve the case before time runs out? Read it to find out!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The characters, setting, and plot were all detailed perfectly for the story, and it kept me entertained nonstop. I highly recommend it.

* Thank you to the publisher of Apocalypse, Touchstone, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Sacred Sound: Discovering the Myth and Meaning of Mantra and Kirtan
Sacred Sound: Discovering the Myth and Meaning of Mantra and Kirtan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sacred Sound, July 4, 2014
Sacred Sound by Alanna Kaivalya shares 21 mantras as well as the myths behind them. With this book, you can find out more about sacred sounds, and how you can use them in your life.

Sacred Sound is an easy to read guide about mantras and sacred sounds that could easily be used by anybody, if you are new to it, or if you have been chanting “om” for years. The author writes in a flow that keeps you interested, while also teaching you about the history of it and giving tips on how to use it for yourself.

My favorite mantra is the classic “Om”. I didn’t really know that much about it when I first heard it many years ago. However, this book definitely gave me more information on it than what I had picked up about it over the years since then. It is about harmony and balance, and I really like that. I never even heard of the other mantras before, so I found this book to be completely interesting and something I could use to learn more about sacred sounds in a totally new way.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. I probably won’t be seen sitting in a yoga pose chanting anytime soon, but I think I could definitely incorporate many of the things I learned in this book into bringing more balance into my life. I definitely recommend it!

* Thank you to the publisher of Sacred Sound, New World Library, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Twist Holder Clip Bun Hair Twist Braid Tool, Set of 2
Twist Holder Clip Bun Hair Twist Braid Tool, Set of 2
Offered by happyshopping2014
Price: $1.65
30 used & new from $0.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Hair Fail, July 4, 2014
I could never get this thing to work properly in my hair! It would also get stuck in my hair after a failed attempt and end up yanking out hair. Not fun!

Pediatric Nursing Made Incredibly Easy! (Incredibly Easy! Series®)
Pediatric Nursing Made Incredibly Easy! (Incredibly Easy! Series®)
by Springhouse
Price: $30.98
83 used & new from $9.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than our required textbook!, July 4, 2014
This was a "recommended" but not "required" book for my Nursing program's Pediatrics course. I hated the textbook. This one was more helpful and was much easier to study with for both the exams and the final ATI we have to take after each course, too. Excellent book!

When the Cypress Whispers
When the Cypress Whispers
by Yvette Manessis Corporon
Price: $19.70
93 used & new from $3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars When the Cypress Whispers, July 4, 2014
When the Cypress Whispers by Yvette Manessis Corporon is one of the best vacation or summer read type of books I’ve read in a long time. I was immediately drawn in to the book and looked forward to picking it back up where I left off. This is definitely a book worthy of your summer reading, and also an author to keep track of!

When the Cypress Whispers is about Daphne, who is a Greek-American who is torn between old-world family traditions, and the modern American dream she wants to live, too. When Daphne comes back to visit her grandmother in Greece, she learns about the past, but also more importantly about who she really is and what she really wants in her life. The important life lessons her grandmother is trying to teach her aren’t always easy for her to hear, or learn, but if she can mix in the magical island life in Greece with what her heart really wants, she’ll be one happy woman!

This is a beautifully written story that gives a stunning backdrop with the landscape, characters, and past and present stories. I adore this book and highly recommend it!

* Thank you to the publisher of When the Cypress Whispers, Harper, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20