ARRAY(0xd97725bc)

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kendal A. Osborne "Dr. Kenneth" RSS Feed (Oklahoma)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools
Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools
by Roey Izhaki
37 used & new from $18.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected - Quantity over Quality., December 31, 2011
Alright, I'll grant the author the fact that there is a TON of information in here. If you've never mixed before then this book has a ton of information for the newbie. If you HAVE mixed before, and you're wanting to learn more, the only proof you need is the mixes on the demo DVD - they're not that great. It's like three mediocre pop dance songs and a junky rock tune. I think it's a classic case of quantity over quality.

This book covers a lot of things, some more in depth than others. I did like the monitoring chapter and the EQ chapter. Everything else was hit or miss for me. Some were more than miss - I felt like they didn't even swing.

A lot of the information in there is superfluous and redundant. I feel like in every single paragraph the author will state something and then retract it. For example, something like "compressors are used to control attacks of instruments. However, sometimes you don't want to control the attack. However, sometimes you do." This is not a direct quote, but I feel like literally every chapter a similar statement is made like this about ten times.

As a mixer, I also feel like a lot of the information is just false - he talks about balancing levels with a compressor and setting the attack to all the way fast, which is definitely NOT what is done most of the time. His methods on setting up a compressor I feel are incorrect, and I feel the graphs and descriptions about so many of these things are just straight up confusing.

It's very obvious to me this is a digital mixer that is used to digital products. I don't think there is much real world experience with analog gear or anything. There are many broad statements that the author assumes, which is dangerous, because many of these things aren't true in all cases.

I have no idea who this author is, what they have done, and if they actually know what they're doing. From the sound of the mixes on the included DVD, I was pretty upset that this book cost as much as it did - I was not impressed with the mixes. I'd much rather read Bobby Owsinski's "Mixing Engineers Handbook," which has real information from a seasoned pro from the industry, as well as interviews with the best of the best mixers from around the globe.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars People should give this more credit., September 4, 2011
Charles Dye has done something here that nobody else has done. He's created a Mixing DVD that talks about concrete mixing concepts, and then talks about more abstract concepts. Yes, it's expensive, but he gives you the tracks to mess with yourself. That is a big deal. Some people say it's overdone and overrated, but in my opinion, he's giving invaluable tips in simple format, to beginners and advanced alike. If you want something less artsy, read an instruction manual. This if for the same type of person that likes Mixerman's "Zen and the Art of Mixing."

Kudos Charles, thanks for taking time to teach patiently and exposing your secrets.

Oshlun SDS-0842 8-Inch 42 Tooth Stack Dado Set with 5/8-Inch Arbor
Oshlun SDS-0842 8-Inch 42 Tooth Stack Dado Set with 5/8-Inch Arbor
Price: $94.64
4 used & new from $84.65

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't beat this dado!, August 22, 2010
This thing is the tops for me. For under $90, you can get this thing and get WONDERFUL dado cuts for your projects. I use it for box joints often! Make sure to TEST it on some pieces, get good at it a few times. Use the shims to get finer adjustments (because not all saw rulers are created equal). The dado might be set to 5/8" and you move the ruler over 5/8" and you may be 1/32 or 1/16 of an inch too big. Sadly, this can affect your box joints and dadoes. Still, it comes with the shims, so I just put in a few of them to widen the blade a little bit, just barely, and it turns out perfect every time! Once you get it tuned up, this thing will be your friend for life.

Be mindful of how long the arbor is on your table saw...some table saws only have an arbor that is 5/8
or 11/16" long, so all of these blades will not fit on the arbor safely! The box that this thing comes in is awful! I wish it had a nice carrying case made of rubber or plastic.

Still...works great. looks great, easy to learn how to use if you've never done it before, and great if you want to make cuts that are 1/4" thick all the way up to almost an inch thick. I use the 3/4", 5/8", and 1/2" setups ALL the time because those are pretty standard lumber sizes. Just go to the hardware store and get your choice thickness, and you can make all kinds of cool stuff once the blade and wood are the same width. Think about it...BUY THIS THING!

Mix Masters: Platinum Engineers Reveal Their Secrets for Success
Mix Masters: Platinum Engineers Reveal Their Secrets for Success
by Maureen Droney
Price: $19.13
62 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Read, August 22, 2010
This book is great. A fresh view on some of the more recent (<30 years) producers and a few older ones. The author / interviewer asks great questions, very direct and to the point, not a whole lot of fluff.

Some books you get will have interviews from producers and they will say "Yeah I never add EQ to anything! Ever! I never compress! I never add processing!" But we forget that they were recording when they had the nicest gear, all hand wired, completely treated fantastic recording spaces, and they were recording artists like Sinatra! Of course they probably didn't add anything! This book takes on newer genres of music by interviewing producers and mixers of more popular music of the last thirty years, and goes in depth.

Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing, Volume 1
Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing, Volume 1
by Ted Greene
Price: $15.64
50 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars THE single note soloing book., August 22, 2010
I know the name suggests that it's about single note soloing, and hey...it is! This book is fantastic. All of Ted Greene's books are just great at explaining so many of the common things in Jazz guitar playing. Very clear, very unique, great way of displaying all of the information. The problem with this book is, it's all in staff, so if you only read tab, I'd advise against this!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2010 6:45 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE This thing!, August 22, 2010
This thing has saved my life a handful of times. I love it! I built a desk and decided to only do a light coat of polyurethane on top so I could still see the beautiful wood grain clearly, but this did compromise the strength. I bought this thing to put in the center where my keyboard and mouse are, and where I usually write. On the outsides, I can still see my lovely wood grain. If this thing gets dirty, clean it! if you don't want to have it on the desk, take it off! I love that it's non permanent, but while it's in use, it works fantastically.

Wide Angle/macro Lens for the Nikon D3000, D3100, D5100, D5000, D7000 Digital SLR Cameras.this Lens Will Attach Directly to the Following Nikon Lenses 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 50mm
Offered by CheckOutDigi
Price: $6.69
7 used & new from $6.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice buy for a simple effect!, August 22, 2010
This is indeed a wide angle lens, however, you have to understand that it IS a $17 lens nonetheless. The edges are fuzzy, there is some lens distortion (colors fringing), and it does have some curvature. However, paying $17 for a cool effect didn't bother me at all. It's a great way to enter the world of wide angle lenses, get your feet wet, see if it's the sort of thing you'd be interested in, which I am...especially for landscape, architecture, interior photos, and more. If you want a great lens to be professional quality, get a Sigma 10-20mm. I gave it 3 stars because like I said, as an effect, I love it, but as a wide angle lens that is really nice looking...get a Sigma.

Tiffen 52mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter
Tiffen 52mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter
Price: $11.98
9 used & new from $6.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, August 22, 2010
Let's get straight to the point--this thing does its job! For me, it meant better photos outdoors (in almost ALL situations), cool effects with water and clouds and things of that nature, and just a better contrast to your photos when working with lots of light! This can really help in situations what involve a lot of lighting (like a closed set, lights on the subject, etc...almost like photoshoot?) yet you want a photo with lots of depth. For people taking senior photos, wedding photos, or family photos outdoors, this is a must.

Some might say "you just need to increase your shutter speed / raise the f-stop number." That is one way to achieve a similar result in terms of light spillage, but for me, this filter is just a different method of doing so. If you're taking photos of people outdoors--especially during a sunset or sunrise--you don't always have a lot of time to sit and play with the manual settings getting the perfect photo. You can get close if you've done photography for a bit of time, but honestly, this thing helps you get a better outdoor photo with less effort. Plus...it's under $20. What can it hurt to try it out?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 1:49 PM PST

Black 58mm Neutral Density (ND4) Lens Filter for Nikon D3000
Black 58mm Neutral Density (ND4) Lens Filter for Nikon D3000
Offered by standbyon
Price: $1.90

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, July 26, 2010
This does NOT fit the Nikon D3000. The D3000 has a 52mm filter attachment, not 58.

Vivitar 2137W 0.21X  37mm Fisheye Lens
Vivitar 2137W 0.21X 37mm Fisheye Lens
Price: $31.95
6 used & new from $19.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Mediocre., July 26, 2010
This is not a fisheye, really. I mean, it's a very wide angle, but it's not that spherical. Plus, the edges are pretty fuzzy. I really doubt that it's 0.21x! I have a 0.45x that is almost as wide! Now don't get me wrong...this is a really cool lens for a certain EFFECT, and it's surely cheap, but other than that, it's not really a true Fisheye...there are a lot better out there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5