Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for B. Lawson > Reviews

Browse

B. Lawson's Profile

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Lawson "Spike" RSS Feed (Midwest, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Marathon: You Can Do It!
Marathon: You Can Do It!
by Jeff Galloway
Price: $13.18
133 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars You can do it!, July 14, 2016
As with all things physical, you should adhere to the advice of medical professional first and foremost.

My first half marathon I thought I would practice up to 10 miles, and then wing it for the rest. I finished almost 8 minutes slower than my goal and with cramps and a lot of fatigue.

So for my next half, I thought I should train properly, and stumbled across a book by Jeff Galloway. I used his method and training, and beat my goal time by 3 minutes while feeling great! So, the next year when I wanted to run my first full marathon, I sought out this book and once again, beat my goal by 4 minutes and felt great (relatively).

I’m a relative armature runner who got into running out of needs to change poor health habits, my first 5k ever was 6 or 7 years ago, well into my adult years, so when I ran a sub 2 hour half, and then a 4:15 full marathon, these are huge deals to me.

This book has various training schedules based on your time goals and current abilities, but also has a wealth of information as to why training and nutrition and other things matter, I highly recommend the book, as well as the Galloway method of run/walk for your training. Other people I run with were surprised to hear I was going to run a 28 mile training run, but I feel that was instrumental in teaching my body how to push on, and also it helped me learn what the figurative wall was, why it happened, and how to modify my actions and nutrition to avoid it on race day.

Personally I don’t know if I want to do any more full marathons, all those miles on the concrete are pretty boring actually, but I am now adapting what I was able to learn from these books and am training for my first trail ultra (50K) in a few months, and I have full confidence in my abilities after what I’ve accomplished with the help of these books.

I cannot recommend this enough!

InnoLife 5 Pcs Aluminum PRESTA to SCHRADER Converter Car Valve Adapter Bicycle Bike Tube Pump Air Compressor Tools (Blue)
Offered by InnoLife
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for converting presta valves for common pumps, July 14, 2016
Having just recently inherited an older bike of higher quality than my previous bikes, I knew nothing of the Presta valve, so I was excited to see these adapters available to make my existing pumps and gauges work with the new bike. Very simple, if you’re new as well, you have to unscrew the Presta valve to allow it to move, then you can add or remove air. With the cheap plastic adapter that fits in the pump, it works, but not very efficiently, whereas these stay on the bike and basically convert it to where it acts like a Schrader valve of set up.

At lower PSI, such as when I first put the new tubes in, I had my doubts as to how airtight the Presta valve would be with this threaded on the stem, but once I cranked the air up to riding levels (in my case 65psi or so), the air pressure keeps the valve shut and this adapter keeps the valve from being pressed to allow air to escape.

These are lightweight machined aluminum, the coating seems to be anodized color and not paint which means they’ll be extremely resistant to chipping or scratching.

I am completely happy, I have enough to retrofit 2 bikes as well as keeping one in the toolbox, I expect these to last as long as I am able to ride and now I can use any pump out there.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Lumintrail PD-606S MTB/BMX Road Mountain Bike Bicycle Platform Pedals Flat Alloy Sealed Bearing 9/16" inch. Comes with our 100% Lifetime Guarantee (Blue)
Offered by Performance Outdoor Gear
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A very decent economy pedal, July 6, 2016
Overall, they seem to be fine so far, they're light and very inexpensive. I needed a new set of cheap pedals to test out on a new bike I picked up that had clip less pedals.
And while yes, the paint is pretty poorly applied, I'm going to bash these so that doesn't bother me too much, so drips runs and rough spots shouldn't impact how they work.
The "spikes" are less aggressive than other pedals I have, I think they'll be fine, but they are still a notable difference.
Only time will tell regarding the bearings and quality, I haven't put vary many miles on them, but if anything notable happens I'll update my review, I'm a good size guy, so if they snap, or are still doing great in a few months, I'll revisit.
I did get a discount in exchange for an honest review, but have no obligation to leave a good review unless the product warrants it. Remember, these pedals are in the economy price range, and they're not plastic or steel, so I consider them worth the price

Roswheel Waterproof Mountain Road Bike Cycling Bicycle Front Frame Tube Handlebar Bag,Folding Bike Front Handbar Basket Multi-functional Touch Screen Mobile Phone Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars A good step between only pockets, and full bike bags., July 6, 2016
I was looking for a smaller size bag that could hold my LG V10, perhaps a piece of paper with a map, and other miscellaneous pocket items for those around town rides. This bag does that all perfectly, just be aware that the front of your handlebars are often busy with cables and such, making it less than simple to mount and access.
I did find this worked better on one of my bikes over the other, but for keeping my pocket contents and large phone safe and reachable, this works like it should.
I haven't had a chance to really test it out in poor weather, but the inside is lined with waterproofing, so I trust it for keeping things dry.
I promised this is an honest review, but for disclosure I received this product at a discounted rate in exchange for only an honest review. If this bike bag did not perform to its expectation, I would state that.

***Update after a few rides. Putting it in front was less than ideal, so I put it around the back side of the handle bar, once or twice my knee would hit it, otherwise, it works well for my use, and I can't say what kind of handlebar bag wouldn't have some similar issues.
This bag is indeed fully lined with plastic and water resistant if not fully water proof, and is more than big enough for all my pocket items and my huge phone. For the local rides, much easier than a backpack.
Comment Comment | Permalink

LG V10 Screen Protector, DEGBIT® [Full Coverage] LG V10 Tempered Glass Screen Protector [0.3mm 9H 2.5D] Ultra Clear / Case-Friendly / Anti-Scratch Glass Screen protector for LG V10 - Lifetime Warrenty
Offered by Degbit Driect
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, it's very cheap insurance for your rather expensive phone, June 27, 2016
My last screen protector lifted off of the phone, so I was in the market for new one, over the years I’ve done my fair share of wet application, dry application, plastic, tempered glass, and rubbery style gadget protectors.
I ended up getting 3 different protectors this time, since I’m not sure which would last, and which I’d like. One was a warranty replacement for what I had bought previously (Invishield), the next I bought as a new to me brand protector (in a 3 pack), and then this, the Degbit Tempered Glass protector.
This is my impressions of this protector.
The packaging is indeed very good, a nice and protective hard “book” that contains everything and keeps it in good shape. Inside I found both a wet cleaning wipe, and a dry cleaning wipe, along with a large dust remover sticker and 2 application tabs for the screen protector. Everything went according to plan, wet wipe the screen first, followed by the dry wipe. I put the application tabs on the glass protector before using the dust remover one last time on the phone. Removed the clear backing from the glass, lined it up as best as I could, and let it set in place. It’s always fun to watch the tempered glass protectors as they suck themselves flat onto the phone.
No bubbles, no lint underneath, and I got it on pretty much straight. It is cyystal clear, no blemishes, no reduced phone viewing or sensitivity, overall I’m extremely happy with this, I feel it’s worth the price for sure. I’ve never broken a screen (knock on wood), I take good care of my phones, but I like cases and screen protectors because life happens, and I want to protect my displays and camera lenses so my phone can work well its entire life.
Don’t let this review be tainted because I received a discount on this in exchange for a review, I’ve paid for many screen protectors because I am looking for the ones who are worth it. If this performed poorly, I would state that, but 24 hours after installation, it’s looking like this will be staying for a while, I definitely recommend the Degbit Glass protector.
Comment Comment | Permalink

[#1 TOP RUNNING BELT]Running Belt Waist PackS unisex, fit iPhone 6 / 6 Plus & Android Smartphones - Great for Gym, Biking, Hiking, Travel Gifts - Running Guide & Motivational bracelet blue
Offered by NUOYIGAOGE
Price: $13.88

4.0 out of 5 stars If you have a giant phone it's a stretch, otherwise a solid belt for your activities, June 24, 2016
I'm a large guy compared to most of my runner friends, 6' tall, 215 pounds or so, waist of 36". For the last several months I've been averaging 20-25 miles per week on street and trails. I've ran with my smartphone in armbands for 6+ years, sometimes I listen to music and sometimes I don't, and I have a collection of water bottle belts, camelbak packs, and handheld bottles that I use based on location, route, and weather. So when I say I received a coupon for this item in exchange for a review, please believe me when I say I'm giving a genuine review from a runner.

Late last year I upgraded to the LG v10 phone, it's a huge phone, and has been a pain to find a running holder for it since I still use Endomondo to track my runs, and like having a phone & camera with me while away. Armbands are stretched to the max and I've been experiencing screen protector issues in them now, backpacks are great for longer runs (8 miles +) , and my wife has a flipbelt she bought last year for marathon training, so I'm very familiar with the concept of these belts, I had that walking in.

I ran a 6 mile trail last night in some moderate heat, it was in the mid 80's and pretty humid here in the Midwest, so I sweat, that's what I do. Shirt soaked, shorts too, this belt showed signs of getting wet, but inside stayed pretty dry. My phone showed zero signs of moisture, no condensation or haze anywhere, but my keychain lanyard was damp, still haven't figured that out, but it's a cloth keychain so perhaps it was more able to wick moisture.
I put the phone and keys in and put them on my backside, instead of the front, very little movement, pretty much only while going downhill, and still minimal.
The clip and belt strap are a proper size for a running belt, I'm happy with that.
Being a dude, yeah, the blue is a little bright, but my running gear is a great hodgepodge of colors and I'll never win a fashion contest, so no biggie.
The only flaw, why I removed a star, is that they advertise it for all phones, and while that is true, it doesn't allow itself to close with my phone inside. I have no fear of it falling out, but I worry with extended use the openings will fatigue and start to separate the reinforced seam.
I will follow up with any long term issues, but I feel like this is definitely worth the asking price for running and other activities, I will give it a go on the bike this weekend.

RockyMounts PitchFork Black
RockyMounts PitchFork Black
Price: Click here to see our price
12 used & new from $92.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a champ, will be getting a 2nd one for the other half., June 23, 2016
This review is from: RockyMounts PitchFork (Sports)
I'd been looking for a fork mount rack that'd fit the OEM Thule bars on my 2009 Volvo S60, but for my casual biking habits (well, once weekly with a group), I didn't want to spend hundreds more on just the tray, but also didn't want my bike to fall off while driving and damage either the bike or my car. This is my first roof rack for a bike, so I did my due research, and after reading plenty of online reviews both on Amazon and on other biking sites/forums, I decided to jump on the PitchFork (color choices are pretty nice too, even though I went with black). Now that I've had it for a few months and have transported my bike several times, I'm confident it's a good choice.

I have a standard 7 speed hybrid Jamis bike, no issues with the front fork fitting or any issues with the length, it's pretty perfect for my needs. The square bars on my cross bars make road noise over 50 mph, this on top (no bike) ads zero additional noise, so that's a plus.
I happened to have 2 leftover locks from my Thule OneKey system that worked to lock this in 2 places (with a little modification to the lock cylinders), so I feel very safe leaving the rack locked on the roof all summer, and leaving my bike on it while running errands around town if needed.

My only advice, check the packaging very quickly as some of the hardware can go missing. I first bought it from Amazon warehouse for a box damage deal, but ended up missing most of the hardware, so I sent it back. Second time I bought it from a reputable vendor, and it showed up still missing 1 thing. I worked out an agreeable solution with them and bought the part online, but even if you don't install it that day, I suggest opening it up and making sure the kit is truly complete.

It now has permanent residence on my car for weekly bike rides, it's so much nicer not having to put the bike in the trunk now!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Gatorade Endurance Carb Energy Chews, Fruit Punch -  21 - 1.3 oz  (Pack of 21)
Gatorade Endurance Carb Energy Chews, Fruit Punch - 21 - 1.3 oz (Pack of 21)
Price: $20.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Isn't anything better than gels? Great supplement for me., June 12, 2016
Perfect for marathon training, I can only handle so many GU packs before I mentally check out...
I put these in the rotation with GU and sport beans, and had a very successful manymonths of training and race day performance for my first full marathon, so, I credit these with helping me keep energy levels during the run as well as post run recovery. I'm not a doctor, but you do have to put energy back in if you're going to train on 4 & 5 hour runs and feel alive.
The case I got was about 4-6 months from the manufacturer expiration/shelf pull date, so be aware of that, but it's not a food item I'd expect to turn bad quickly, and I just used the last pack after the date passed, and they were just the same texturaly so I'm happy.
Will be ordering another box, these are high up in my list of trail and training supplements!

Nalgene Bottle Carrier Handheld for 32 Oz bottles, Gray
Nalgene Bottle Carrier Handheld for 32 Oz bottles, Gray
Price: $16.89
70 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for travel, looking forward to more use, June 12, 2016
Finally jumped on the Nalgene bus after years of trying other brands of bottles, leaking, sweating, or being unable to clean properly due to complex bottle tops/spouts. Grabbed this carrier to go with the new bottle, and just spent a few weeks traveling all over and it performed great.
I used a carabiner to clip this to my backpack (through the bottle lid loop as well as the reinforced sleeve loop), never had an issue. 4 different airports, just take it through empty (they'll allow ice), and filled it up inside. Also that let me clip it into the seat back in front of me on my flights.
While hiking in Hawaii and Washington, I'd usually fill it halfway and freeze it over night at the hotel, topping it off before leaving the house. Did it stay icy all day in the heat? No, but it didn't get super hot, and that's a marked improvement over other insulated bottles or stainless steel cups. And, this sleeve/carrier produced zero external condensation, especially nice being around sand and dirt.
The front pocket isn't big at all, but big enough for a couple of tea bags or powdered flavor packs for the occasional addition.
Not having to pay for water in the airport and while traveling, I felt I've already recouped my purchase price, and I'm always happy to not use disposable water bottles unless absolutely necessary!
Dreading heading back to work tomorrow, but I suspect in the office environment, this will keep ice all day long for sure.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Quick Charge 3.0, CHOETECH 6-Port USB Charging Station with 2 Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Ports, USB A to C Cable and Charger Cradle for OnePlus 3 LG G5, Galaxy S6/S7/Edge, HTC 10, iPhone, iPad and More
Offered by CHOETECH-Official
Price: $80.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for consolidating your device chargers in one spot, June 11, 2016
I received this the night before I left for a long vacation, so I got to put it through it's paces while traveling. Packaged very well, even included a USB-C cable (can't use that yet, so I can't review that part).
The whole thing is packaged very well, opened it up and was using it in just a few seconds, really, it's a charger so not much explaining needed for set up. The top 2 ports are quick charge (indicated by blue colored ports), and the blue LED isn't horribly bright unless you happen to put it right next to your bed. The stand is nice, keeps it firmly in place.
While away, I used it to simultaneously charge my LG V10 on a quick charge port, and on the standard ports, our underwater camera, my other half's cell phone, and our tablet. Everything charged as normal as if they all had their own dedicated chargers, nothing got excessively hot, nothing acted out of line.
Now that we're home, I'm setting this up in permanent residence on our coffee table, it's compact and is going to free up a few different outlets now for device charging.

I did receive this product at a discount for my honest review, and this is indeed a genuine review from a fellow gadget lover.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4