Profile for Marcia > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marcia RSS Feed (Tulelake, California, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Meeting the Monster: Surviving and Thriving when Mental Illness attacks a Loved One
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Impact Book--short, easy to read, May 7, 2015
This is a very touching book on a very sensitive subject. What an experience to have lived! And to be living on an ongoing basis! I am anxious to pass on a recommendation to two friends who work in mental health occupations. I can see them passing out this little book to the caregiver of each of their patients. I can imagine a parent's copy of this book (the paperback version) tucked in her purse with a number of dog-eared pages available for quick reference. I have great respect for this mother. Just think of how fortunate her son is to have such a caring, patient mom!

Time is Cows: Timeless Wisdom of the Maasai
Time is Cows: Timeless Wisdom of the Maasai

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, April 3, 2015
An outstanding book showing us how the ancient traditions are so vital to our future. Pergola has performed a great service to us in the modern world to document/illustrate traditions that can be vital to our health and well being. And it is also a fascinating read...capturing!!

The Guidebook: The NRSV Student Bible
The Guidebook: The NRSV Student Bible
by Harper Bibles
Price: $25.90
39 used & new from $14.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Great translation and helps, December 26, 2013
I use this with a youth group Sunday school. It's nice to all have the same Bible to be looking at (as long as there are several other translations available in the room for reference when appropriate). As someone nearing 70, the print is a bit small for me personally but it is worth it to be using the same one as the kids.

Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas
Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, December 26, 2013
This basically covers Maya's European tour with the Porgy and Bess troupe...fascinating! Her writing style is wonderful. And there is so much more that you learn than just the details of her life.

Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes
Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes
Price: $10.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary reading!, October 21, 2013
To look at your surroundings from a different viewpoint is often difficult but so enlightening. When you enlarge "surroundings" to mean a huge chunk of world history, it can be all that much more enlightening.
Ansary writes well; very readable.

But I Don't See You as Asian: Curating Conversations about Race
But I Don't See You as Asian: Curating Conversations about Race

5.0 out of 5 stars A great look at race relations!, July 18, 2013
Main point: don't ignore racial differences, don't pretend they don't exist, don't try to be colorblind, celebrate each person's heritage.
Bruce's easy flowing words helped me evaluate how I as a white person I look at others, like my adopted African American son (don't ignore his race but celebrate it), like using the greeting "sistah" with African American friends (I am too white and too old to do that). I wish every person would read this!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2013 1:53 PM PDT

Moloka'i
Moloka'i
Offered by Macmillan

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done!, April 19, 2013
This review is from: Moloka'i (Kindle Edition)
This is a fascinating book. We can google Kalaupapa or read the historic markers that give facts about the "leper colony" but don't get the human emotions--highs and lows--that way. Mr Brennert did a wonderful job of making the characters come to life, weaving facts with fiction to tell a beautiful story.

Enriching Your Teaching Ministry (O Taste and See: That the Lord Is Good)
Enriching Your Teaching Ministry (O Taste and See: That the Lord Is Good)
by Megan Jeffery

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest!, October 23, 2009
People ask me what makes my children's ministry so successful. When I looked thru this book, I said, "This is what I do!" So it is a perfect workbook for creating a successful church school. A great book! Please don't let it go out of print!!!!

Listen to the Wind: The Story of Dr. Greg & Three Cups of Tea
Listen to the Wind: The Story of Dr. Greg & Three Cups of Tea
by Greg Mortenson
Price: $13.15
310 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It is wonderful: Listen to the Wind!!, August 20, 2009
I took several copies of this wonderful book to my grandsons' school and left them with each of the teachers. I read it to all the Kindergarten and First grade classes. The Second graders loved it too but the teachers wanted to read it themselves to their students. Next month I will read it to my church women's group. Adults and kids are fascinated by the pictures and, of course, the story is awesome! I would like to see everyone that buys this book to buy at least one extra one and give it away to a school or other place where kids can hear it and read it!

Crazy & Creative Bible Stories for Preteens (The Steven James Storytelling Library)
by Steven James
23 used & new from $26.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure to activate the class!, July 20, 2008
I will use these stories as the grade 4-6 activity time following the larger group's worship/storytelling time. The acting-out (and being a bit crazy) helps them engage the Bible story. The reflective questions bring it back together.

Most are not appropriate (in my opinion) for these kids to act out for the younger kids.

Page: 1 | 2