Profile for Taco Mike > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Taco Mike "Fan of the Enjoyable" RSS Feed

Greenworks 25072 20-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower with Grass Catcher
Greenworks 25072 20-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower with Grass Catcher
Price: $98.50
10 used & new from $71.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Mowing Fun!, June 24, 2011
I haven't been able to cut grass since I was around 17 years old, because I would always have terrible allergy attacks during and after the mowing job. I'm sure I would still have allergy attacks if I used a powered mower, but with this mower, I don't have any problems. The Greenworks Reel Mower doesn't kick nearly as much dust, pollen, and debris into the air as my old gas mower did. I look forward to mowing now, in a way I never did with my gas mower.
It does a beautiful job on almost every kind of turf; from clover, to low, ground-covering weeds, and even thicker Bermuda grass. I have a very erratically-seeded yard with all kinds of different things growing in it, and I haven't had a problem after about 8 mows with this mower. If anything, this mower might require a few extra passes in thicker grasses, but I've mowed when it's dry, dewey, slightly overgrown, and it goes right through everything.
It's a substantial, durable-feeling machine. Without some of the overbuilding on a powered mower, it may look like a toy, but every part of it is solid. The height-adjustment levers are metal, and there's no play on those. It takes a bit of effort to move them. The handles don't move in any way they aren't designed to, and the reel is well-designed and sturdy.
The Greenworks Reel Mower feels lighter than a typical gas mower, but I can't say if it actually is lighter, or the way it's designed just balances the weight better. Either way, mowing with it is not even mildly fatiguing; you could conceivably mow your lawn with it and then go run a marathon without worrying about being too tired for the race. The mower turns on a dime, cuts like a dream, and takes almost no effort to push. The only issue that works against it is that it doesn't do edges. There will be about a two-inch wide margin of grass left along any sidewalks or foundations or other obstacles, which will need to be clipped or weed-whacked.
Using the mower seems to have improved my lawn's health, too. After only a few weeks of using it, the grass is growing faster, seems thicker, and is greener and more lush than it had been. Where I was normally cutting once every 7-10 days with my gas mower, I have to go every 3-4 with my reel mower. That's not really a problem since mowing with it is so much easier, but if the grass gets too long, it becomes problematic; the mower doesn't cut grass that is taller than will go under the front lip.
Finally, I'd like to add that it takes me about 1/4 of the time to cut my yard as it did with my gas mower. I've never been happier with a purchase than I am with this mower.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2013 2:32 PM PDT

Schwalbe Land Cruiser Tire 700 x 45C (28 x 1.75) Wire / 880G Black
Schwalbe Land Cruiser Tire 700 x 45C (28 x 1.75) Wire / 880G Black
Offered by Niagara Cycle Works
Price: $16.13
2 used & new from $16.13

5.0 out of 5 stars For the well-attired bicycle, June 18, 2011
I bought it for my brother's bike, after the factory tire basically fell apart.
It's held up well, and seems much more durable than the first tire; he maintained the same riding schedule as before this tire was installed, and the tread still looks virtually new.

This tire's been ridden mainly on asphalt pavement, so I don't know how well it'll do in unpaved situations.

Alice: Madness Returns - PC
Alice: Madness Returns - PC
Offered by TnsDeals
Price: $14.99
25 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Updated Alice, June 18, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I just received the game and installed it this evening. I spent close to two hours working my way through the first level and thought I'd throw in my two cents.

First, I'm running it in Windows XP (SP3) on a 1.77 AMD Athlon 64 processor(3500+), with 2GB RAM, and a 7600GT Nvidia video card. For a machine that just meets the minimum requirements, the game runs fairly well. There are a few framerate issues, and it can lag with multiple enemies on the screen. Otherwise, I haven't had a major problem yet. There are minor dialogue cut scenes in which the dialogue skips and repeats itself (the parts where Alice recovers memories), but with the subtitles on, it's not anything to get upset about.

The visuals are gorgeous. The game has some really impressive scenery, and I would say that it's almost worth the cost of admission just for that alone.

The story will seem familiar to anyone who's played the original. It's been expanded somewhat, but it's definitely a continuation of the original, rather than a retread.

Gameplay is virtually the same as in the first, but with some updated actions. Without reading the manual, there's not much of a learning curve for familiar players. The dodge maneuver is particularly cool-looking, and there are some new enemies to deal with, so I don't feel as if this is a slavish remake of the first game.

My final verdict is that it's a nice continuation of the story from the original. There's enough new content to make it feel new to me, while still maintaining continuity. It runs on a fairly old setup, which is very refreshing, considering that Unreal Tournament 3 wouldn't run on this system. The graphics are great, and I give it an overall four out of five on first impressions.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2011 9:52 AM PDT

Monster Tale - Nintendo DS
Monster Tale - Nintendo DS
Offered by Pixels Make Perfect
Price: $27.50
50 used & new from $6.68

5.0 out of 5 stars What more can I say than it's a lot of fun?, March 23, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is one of the first platform-style game I've played on my DS since the last Castlevania came out, and it's great fun. I've not quite made it to the first Kid King (boss battle), but, from what I can already tell, it's going to be a fine game.
At first I was concerned that it would be too simple-a kid's game-but the difficulty is fairly balanced. It wouldn't frustrate a young gamer, but I don't think it would be boring to an older gamer.
The play is similar to Castlevania and Metroid, where you gain abilities as you explore, which open paths to other areas, and there's a store system to buy upgraded skills, but the interesting twist is your pet monster, Chomp, whose talents change as his levels increase; he achieves different stages of evolution with different, useful abilities.
Chomp can be assigned to stay on the top screen, where the main character, whose name is Ellie, progresses through the story. Chomp can also be assigned to the bottom screen, where he can recover HP, and use the Chomp-specific items that enemies occasionally drop to increase his stats.

As I said, I've not completed the game, but it is shaping up to be one of my new favorites. It's not too simple, and it's not too difficult, and it puts an interesting and fresh spin on a familiar game style.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2011 9:55 AM PDT

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - Nintendo DS
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - Nintendo DS
45 used & new from $9.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun and a good starter game for your DS, June 16, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
What a fun RPG this turned out to be. I recently purchased a Nintendo DS, opting for the basic kit, which comes with no game. Since I didn't want to drop full price on one of the more popular DS games, I grabbed this, as much for the price as because of the cover of the box. I didn't expect much of it, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Like I said earlier, this game is an RPG, so expect to grind a little. Leveling up your tank is the main purpose of grinding in this game, and while you'll probably have the required gold, you may not have the required items, which you'll need to collect. The only real quibble I have with this game is that items are not always plentiful, and farming them is nearly impossible because of the level design.

If you want a pick-up-and-play game, this probably isn't for you. Some of the quests may seem repetitive, and not everyone will care for that.

It took me about 17 hours to finish the main story of the game, rescuing all the inhabitants of Slimenia. I would say that I still have about 5 hours' worth of side quests to go, which represents a pretty decent value to me. Some full PC RPGs are shorter than this.

That said, this game packs a lot of variety; there are boss battles, tank battles, side quests, puzzle solving... There's nothing too difficult about it, but it presents enough of a challenge to keep your interest. While it's not as action-packed as a Zelda game, it definitely holds its own in the realm of RPGs.