Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for DisneyDenizen > Reviews

Browse

DisneyDenizen's Profile

Customer Reviews: 117

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DisneyDenizen RSS Feed (Celebration, FL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Ignore the Guy, Get the Guy - The Art of No Contact: A Woman's Survival Guide to Mastering a Breakup and Taking Back Her Power
by Leslie Braswell
Price: $7.63
19 used & new from $6.53

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book you want!, July 24, 2016
Let me save you some time. I read four of these slim volumes addressing "how to get your boyfriend back". They all pretty much say the same thing.

Step One: Ignore the guy for 60 days. No Contact. Do whatever it takes. But No Contact!!

Step Two: One week into that 60 days, write him a polite email that turns the tables on him, in which you basically break up with him. Go back to No Contact. (This particular book skips this step.)

Step Three: During those 60 days, first you take a week or so to mourn, cry, mope, eat ice cream, whatever. Then you pull yourself together. Become a better version of the woman you were when you met your boyfriend in the first place. Lose the weight. Get that haircut. Clean your house. Get a hobby or two. Become more interesting. Go out with your friends. Yes, even start dating again.

Step Four: Gently let your new and improved lifestyle leak onto social media.

The goal is, of course, to have your ex realize that he let the amazing you slip away, that he misses you terribly, and that he wants you back.

The secondary objective, however, generally left unstated by these books, is that the steps you need to take to get your ex back are exactly the same steps you need to take if he never comes back! And that's the real key, isn't it? At the end of two months, you may not even care anymore, instead seeing your ex for the lout and loser that he is. After all, he left YOU, didn't he? How great can he possibly be?

WHY I AM GIVING THIS BOOK 5 STARS:
This is the book you want. This is the book you need to read, with a highlighter in your hand. This is the book that will tell you exactly the words you need to read. Unexpectedly, this author actually gives short shrift to The Return of Mr. Ex; for example, she does not go into the usual detail on exactly how to manage him if he does come back. But the emphasis she places on the secondary goal (without actually stating that that is what she is doing) is what makes this exactly the book you need at this time in your life.

I can also recommend It's Called A Break Up Because It's Broken, by the same guy who brought us the gem He's Just Not That Into You. This author quotes from that Break Up book. I paraphrase my very favorite line: Busy is just another word for jerk and jerk is just another name for the guy you've been seeing. It is gems such as this that will give you the strength to move forward with the rest of your life, with or without him.

Happily Never After 1/2 Dvdbtb
Happily Never After 1/2 Dvdbtb
DVD ~ Happily Never After 1 & 2
Price: $9.99
19 used & new from $7.95

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, February 16, 2016
Worst animation we have ever encountered. Incredibly, the second movie was worse than the first. Looks like a 5th grader put it together in their bedroom using SIMs.

D&K Monarchy Women's Seamless High-Waist Thick Fleece Leggings
D&K Monarchy Women's Seamless High-Waist Thick Fleece Leggings
Price: $4.73 - $21.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Stinky Leggings, February 10, 2016
These leggings are fantastic. They are a tad long, but my daughter is short. The fit is absolutely perfect.

But they stink to high heaven. I washed them once. They still stank. I am returning them. I have never encountered something like this before.

I purchased the black and fuchsia.

Dirt Devil SD20000RED Simpli-Stik Lightweight Bagless Stick Vacuum - Corded
Dirt Devil SD20000RED Simpli-Stik Lightweight Bagless Stick Vacuum - Corded
Price: $19.96
82 used & new from $8.80

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent child's toy, January 18, 2016
Extremely lightweight in every sense of the word. You feel like you are pushing around a child’s toy. Cord is surprisingly short. You can not see the dirt cup, so you have no clue when its full. To empty the dirt cup, you have to pull apart the entire vacuum cleaner! And when you do that for the first time, you will be shocked at just how little space there is in the dirt cup for the actual dirt. (It’s almost all filter.) Less than in any dust buster I have ever seen, which is basically what this is, except that it would truly be a poor excuse for a dust buster.

It picks up reasonably well. That is its only redeeming feature.

The only person I would recommend this for is a child.

Dirt Devil SD20505 Power Air Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum for Hard Floor
Dirt Devil SD20505 Power Air Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum for Hard Floor
Price: $26.49
22 used & new from $26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Really only for Hard Floors, January 18, 2016
This vacuum cleaner has everything I was looking for. Lightweight. Easy to push. Clear tank. Bagless. No roller. (I could go on a lengthy rant, here. I can't push a roller around in my house for more than five minutes without having to stop and clean it. Too many long-haired ladies and pets. Not sure how everyone else on the planet deals with that.) Powerful suction. But they weren't kidding when they said "hard floors". It sucks itself right onto the carpet and became impossible to push on carpet, which is what I wanted it for. So ... I should have paid more attention to the description.

Folktales of the Amur
Folktales of the Amur
by Nagishkin
4 used & new from $148.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loveliest Folklore Book Ever, November 4, 2015
This review is from: Folktales of the Amur (Hardcover)
This is one of my all-time favorite books. Visually, it is absolutely beautiful. The folktales are both, well, stories and extremely informing about life in that part of the world. I found this book on my mother's shelves many years ago and begged it off of her. She reluctantly parted with it. It remains one of my most prized possessions, and I have a great many books.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes to read, who likes folklore, or you just likes beautiful, artistic books.

Pilot G2 Retractable Premium Gel Ink Roller Ball Pens, Ultra Fine Point, Blue Ink, Dozen Box (31278)
Price: $14.49
38 used & new from $10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars not at all smooth, August 25, 2015
I was excited about buying these pens because I thought it would make it easier for my daughter to write three essays by hand in a row for her AP English exam. Nope. We tried out the pens last night and her immediate statement was, "These aren't as smooth as they usually are!" I tested it, and she was right! These pens practically stick to the paper. They are the opposite of "smooth". I have no idea why people are giving them 5 stars.

Here is what we usually buy: Pilot EasyTouch Retractable Ball Point Pens, Fine Point. And incidentally, they're cheaper.

Splendid Cities: Color Your Way to Calm
Splendid Cities: Color Your Way to Calm
by Rosie Goodwin
Price: $10.60
105 used & new from $0.58

1.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Lie Flat!, June 24, 2015
Does not work for intended purpose. You can not actually color in this book because it is bound like a regular paperback, not like a coloring book. Specifically, it does not lie FLAT. It is not perforated. There is no reasonable way to color in this book.

ACT Prep Black Book: The Most Effective ACT Strategies Ever Published
ACT Prep Black Book: The Most Effective ACT Strategies Ever Published
by Mike Barrett
Price: $16.49
65 used & new from $10.63

1.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter Scored a 32 - I'll Tell You How, March 15, 2015
First, we did a full practice test of both SATs and ACTs. She did so much better on the ACTs that we put the SAT books aside and focused solely on the ACTs. My understanding is that virtually all colleges now accept both.

Second, I bought three books and explored them intensively. Because my daughter is on the autism spectrum, I chose to do this initial work for her. I also guided her through practice sessions in the sense that I told her exactly what to do each day and then checked her practice tests. We then reviewed what she got wrong and, most importantly, why.

I consider Barrons ACT 36 and "The Red Book" put out by the ACT people both absolutely indispensable.

Use The Red Book for practice because it contains five real past tests to practice on. (We ended up using almost every section of all five exams.) But The Red Book offers no real tips. For that, use the ACT 36 book and pay careful attention to what they say. It's very good advice, particularly the section about Reading and how to attack reading passages. My daughter went from missing 1 or 2 problems per reading passage to missing 0 or 1 problem for all four reading passages! In fact, she got a 34 on both the Reading and the English sections, which indicates she missed almost no problems. (If you are wondering why her overall score was "only" 32, it is entirely my fault. I had her take this test when she had taken only 5 of the 8 math semesters which are tested. Still, a 32 is 98th percentile. No regrets.)

The third book I read was ACT Prep Black Book: The Most Effective ACT Strategies Ever Published. This book was almost entirely useless. I took from it a grand total of one tip: only practice with real ACT questions. That seemed like a good piece of advice to me, so I took it. I should mention the format of this book. Most of it is paired with The Red Book. The author breaks down the questions many students have problems with and provides extremely detailed explanations. However, the fundamental premise of the book is that the best way to tackle the ACT is to game the system. Perhaps if your student is starting with an 18 or something, that is the way to go. But if your student is able to tackle the material head on and understand it, then you have no need to game the system. A number of times, I had my daughter read the explanations in The Black Book when she missed a problem. Not once did the explanation add anything to her comprehension. Remember, the author's entire premise is that the ACT questions are not straightforward and therefore can not be tackled head on. We simply did not find that to be accurate.

So buy just the two books you need. Tackle one section at a time. Practice practice practice! It makes all the difference. It really does help to get a hang of the questions. And skip the pricey online and live prep courses. If you're starting in a good place, the two books I recommend will be all you need. That and a student with motivation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2016 10:38 AM PST

The Real ACT (CD) 3rd Edition (Official Act Prep Guide)
The Real ACT (CD) 3rd Edition (Official Act Prep Guide)
by Act