Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Nancy J. Hess > Reviews

Browse

Nancy J. Hess' Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nancy J. Hess "njhh" RSS Feed (Hummelstown, PA)

CounterArt Spanish Tiles Design Absorbent Coasters in Wooden Holder, Set of 4 Assorted

1.0 out of 5 stars Not like the picture, July 8, 2013
Extremely disappointed, This is in no way a tile. It is a picture over cheap plaster. I was to hasty when ordering. Don't make the same mistake.

Iberia
Iberia
by James A. Michener
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
74 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a book with depth on Spain, November 16, 2012
This review is from: Iberia (Mass Market Paperback)
No question, Michener is a great observer of Spain and he has introduced me to so many ideas and intrigues about Spain, I must give him the highest marks! In short, if you are serious about understanding Spain, this book is a must.

However, I do have a nagging complaint. As a woman, I found the book overwhelmingly geared to the masculine reader. Although I do love his ornate descriptions of men, the absence of any equivalent descriptions of women was a source of great disappointment. Where a woman receives a passing comment, descriptions of men take up major portions of chapters and are referred to again and again. I think his wife was mentioned in a line or two in the chapter about Barcelona. He does recount history with respect to Spain's great ladies, but in terms of intimate passages about human beings he met, it is all about men. He describes them in great detail!

In my opinion, this book represents half the story; another one about the women of Spain and the intimate details of their perspective is perhaps still yet to come.

Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956
Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-1956
by Anne Applebaum
Price: $24.93
174 used & new from $0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the future calling?, November 9, 2012
I practically ran to my computer to order this book after reading the recent review in the New Yorker by Louis Menand. I was stopped cold. What? $18 for a Kindle edition??? Are you kidding? So once we put all the book publishers out of business, we will be paying the same rate anyway for the electronic version? Amazon, if this is your new business strategy, count me out!

Kinivo BTH220 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone - Supports Wireless Music Streaming and Hands-Free calling
Offered by BlueRigger
Price: $44.99
10 used & new from $15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great except that it slides off my ears, October 25, 2012
I have been wearing this headset for about a week. I think they work fine except for the fact that they slide off my ears constantly. This is extremely annoying. I hook them on my ears but since I wear glasses they do not easily stay in place. I recommend they offer an optional piece to help the wearer fit it to the head. Perhaps a piece that will fit over top the head that you can snap on or off.

The Way
The Way
DVD ~ Emilio Estevez
Offered by Surplus DVD Source
Price: $7.15
51 used & new from $1.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Buen Camino, December 11, 2011
This review is from: The Way (DVD)
I spied my first pilgrim in Conques France a few years ago, then visited Santiago last year and was completely blown away by the energy of the pilgrims as they made their arrival into the City. I felt as if I had discovered some great secret and wondered how it had been so well kept. I told everyone who would listen about it. So, my surprise and joy was immense when I learned about this movie, and I wondered how it could possibly do justice to the experiences I have read about in "Field of Stars" and other accounts, and the gorgeous places I have visited in Spain that are stops along the Camino.

I went with three friends last evening and we simultaneously laughed and teared up from beginning to end. Although it is a compact version of a journey, it is complete as a story and what I appreciate most is the feeling one gets of really being there. People are imperfect, one feels the discomfort of the rough nights, we can feel that the relationships, although temporary, get right down to the core of being in this world. I feel as if I could return to The Way II, III and IV, and keep watching people trekking across France and Spain and share in their varied experiences which all speak to the meaning of life. Oh, yes, the other thing I love is that nothing in this movie pretends to tell you what that is exactly. I think the secret to the success of this movie is that we can see ourselves on that journey, just as confused, hopeful, inspired, frustrated, angered, and on and on, as the characters are that unfold on screen. Do we like them? Would we want to walk with them? Not sure! All part of the fun of the movie. The personal accounts that I have read and heard, all seem to convey this quality.

Finally, if none of this sounds appealing to you, then rest assured that the cinematography and the scenes of Spanish countryside, cities and towns are enough to knock your socks off!

Employee Morale: Driving Performance in Challenging Times
Employee Morale: Driving Performance in Challenging Times
by David Bowles
Price: $47.38
45 used & new from $16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough treatment of employee morale, April 19, 2010
I read this book in preparation for an advanced workshop on employee engagement and felt it provided excellent groundwork for this and related topics. David Bowles has the combined precision of an academic and facile mind of a practitioner which makes his material both accessible and relevant to the workplace. You can read this book front to back, or like me, dive in anywhere and find excellent material in a well-framed context.

I especially liked the author's use of his experience and authenticity in presenting concepts from the field. He sorts out ideas that (in my opinion) have not been given enough scrutiny. This is an intelligent read and facilitates deeper reflection on how we link people factors to organization success.

The Adirondacks that are the Other Half of Me
The Adirondacks that are the Other Half of Me
by Mary A. Paladin
Price: $13.45
35 used & new from $4.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling and Americana, at its best..., March 11, 2010
If you were lucky enough to spend summers in a lake community, or wondered what it might be like, or have passed through the Adirondack lake region and would like to know more about life in that part of the country, you will enjoy every page of this book. As I read it I was transported back to a time when I was young and we spent one summer on a cottage on a NY lake and I was reminded of what an idyllic life it can be, especially for a child. Mary conveys a sense of place and serves up a rich slice of life for us with lots of wit, brilliant descriptions and an ever so light touch nostalgia, just enough to create a sense of awe about this way of life (which is slowly disappearing) but not so much that we don't believe every word and feel every poignant moment as it unfolds with her telling. I hope she keeps writing on this subject as the book hints at many more stories left to tell.

The Woman Who Walked into the Sea: Huntington's and the Making of a Genetic Disease
by Alice Wexler
Price: $29.00
46 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars rare glimpse, February 9, 2010
This book is a rare glimpse into the history of a genetic disesase that has been moving to the front and center of genetic research ever since the gene for Huntington's disease was discovered in the early 1990's. This is a dense book, yet I was amazed at the speed with which I read it. Writers and editors must have worked hard to get this distillation of material that enlightens and informs in a way that keeps the reader absorbed and fascinated. I am from an HD family but I think if I were an MD interested in research, or an MD with a highly creative mind or simply a person with a curiosity about genetics as it unfolds in the context of community, this is a stimulating and exciting read.

I expected to be interested, but am astounded, really, at what this book reveals about disease and community. Thank you Alice Wexler and to all those who supported you in this effort. I wish the whole medical community would read your book!

Nancy Hess