Profile for Alexander Scherr > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Alexander Scherr RSS Feed

ESPN - Bill Simmons
ESPN - Bill Simmons

1.0 out of 5 stars Simmons is Great . . . this Blog is Not, June 25, 2010
I like Bill Simmons. He writes well, and is particularly strong on basketball . . . after all, he wrote the book.

But paying money for this blog is a waste. True, he (or his people . . . I assume he has people who do this for him) updated the blog with his columns regularly through the NBA playoffs. Right up to an entry that previewed the 2010 finals as a likely classic. Weeks go by while the Lakers and the Celtics duke it out in a great finals series. ESPN has his columns routinely on its websites. But nothing on this blog.

Then, today, one week after the finals are over, we get a new entry . . . YES! it's about basketball, and YES! it's about . . .

The NBA DRAFT!

Apparently, Simmons didn't think his reporting about a finals involving his Boston Celtics against the L.A. Lakers was good enough to post for people paying for Kindle access. Perhaps he's right. I don't care. I'm terminating my subscription today.

Sorry, Bill: you didn't deliver the goods this time. I know you won't miss the $0.99. But your reputation suffered.

The Complete Essays of Michel de Montaigne
The Complete Essays of Michel de Montaigne
Price: $3.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware: as of 9/1/09, Wrong Edition! Still Wrong on 9/11!, September 1, 2009
I purchased this edition on August 10, eager to read the Screech translation. Unfortunately, the link to that file is broken. Instead, I received the public domain e-book of the Cotton/Hazlitt translation. I didn't notice until today.

I'm giving 5 stars because:

-- Montaigne is incomparable.

-- I have read the Frame translation, and have heard good word about the Screech version.

-- Amazon support was excellent. They immediately deleted the version I had downloaded and helped me to test whether the file advertised on this page was incorrectly linked. They confirmed that it was, and promptly deleted all my versions, and refunded all charges.

Amazon told me that that it would take a few days to correct the problem. Make sure that you check what you buy and that you get what this page advertises, which is the modern translation by Screech, not the archaic translation by Cotton / Hazlitt.

UPDATE: I purchased this item again, having given Amazon the 2-3 days that the earlier customer service rep had said it would take to correct the link. I once again received the public domain Cotton / Hazlitt translation. Upon calling Amazon, they once again promised to correct the link (and once again gave me a refund). I told the person I spoke with about my last contact, and received assurances that I would receive an e-mail notice when the problem has been corrected. I am now less impressed with Amazon's customer service.

Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (9.7" Display, U.S. Wireless)
Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device (9.7" Display, U.S. Wireless)
8 used & new from $250.00

8,250 of 8,385 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Different and Better, June 11, 2009
I have owned both Kindle 1 and Kindle 2, so I'm already committed to the basic idea: e-ink reading in a slim form factor with excellent connectivity to a large selection of books and subscriptions. I have come to rely on my Kindle experience, and it has seriously enhanced my reading.

The DX was not an obvious upgrade for me, but two features put me over the edge: the larger screen, and the native PDF reader. I now have the DX in my hands, and can report PROS, CONS, and NEUTRALS:

PROS:

-- the larger screen is a definite plus. I use the larger type size on my Kindle 2 (older eyes), and at this type size I get far more text per page on the DX. This makes the whole reading experience more book-like (and should be a boon to people who buy large-print books.)

-- the screen is also sharper and crisper than my Kindle 2 in a side-by-side comparison: the text is darker, and the contrast is much better, making for better visibility overall.

-- on a side note, the larger screen also makes it possible to read poetry on the kindle, even at large type sizes. On earlier Kindles, the smaller screen cut off lines, so that you would lose the sense of when the poet ended the line. On the DX, you can see the whole line exactly as the poet meant it, with the cut-off in the right spot.

-- the PDF reader works as advertised, and is extremely convenient. PDF documents appear on the DX exactly as they do on a computer screen. Moreover, you can drag and drop your documents directly to the device using the USB cable (or use the for-a-fee email if you absolutely must.) The only downside: at least for the documents that I've used so far, I cannot adjust the type size as I can with native Kindle documents.

-- screen rotation also works as advertised: it operates as a mild zoom on both graphics and text and offsets slightly the downside of not being able to adjust the typesize on PDF documents. One nice design touch: the four-way navigation stick introduced on the Kindle 2 is rotation-sensitive, and will move as expected relative to the screen rotation.

-- more of the device space is devoted to the screen, while the white plastic border around the screen seems to have shrunk, both in general and compared to the proportion of screen to plastic on the Kindle 2. I like this (but see below about the keyboard).

-- storage: I like the increase in storage space, and don't mind the lack of an external storage card. I can see some people having trouble with this, but only those folks who either a) must regularly carry around PDF documents totalling more than 3.5 GB of space or b) must have nearly 3500 books regularly at their fingertips. I fall in neither category.

CONS:

-- price: it's expensive, as you can tell pretty quickly. If you value the larger size, and the native PDF reader, these features may justify the roughly 30% premium you pay for the DX over the Kindle 2. In truth, the DX SHOULD cost more than the Kindle 2, and a 30% premium isn't unreasonable. But, for my money, Amazon should drop the price on the Kindle 2 to $300 or so, and charge $400 or a little less for the DX. Still, I bought it, and will keep it at this price.

-- one-sided navigation buttons: all of the buttons are now on the right side, and none are on the left. I'm a righty, so I shouldn't complain, but I found myself using both sides on the Kindle 2. Lefties have reason to complain, I think.

-- One-handed handling: I often read while I walk, with my Kindle in one hand, and something else in my other. Because of the button layout, this will be more difficult on the DX.

-- metal backing: I miss the tacky rubberized backing on my Kindle 1. When I placed my Kindle 1 on an inclined surface, it stayed in place. Not so my Kindle 2 and now my DX. This is not a complaint specific to the DX, but it's still there.

NEUTRALS (i.e. things worth noting):

-- weight: the DX is heavier, noticeably so. This is only an issue if, like me, you regularly use the kindle with one hand . . . and even so, it's still doable.

-- keyboard: the keyboard has 4 rows, and not 5: the top row of numbers from the Kindle 1 and 2 has been merged into the top qwerty row, so that numbers are now only accessible with an alt-key combination. The keys are vertically thinner too, so that the whole keyboard is no more than 1" tall (compared to over an 1.5" on the Kindle 2). At the same time, the keys themselves are a bit easier to press, a bit more protruding than on the Kindle 2. For someone with big fingers (like me), this will be a slightly harder keyboard to use, but only slightly.

That's all I can see. Overall, the pluses outweigh the minuses for me, and I'm satisfied with my purchase. I can now think of using my DX for work documents on a regular basis, because of the PDF reader. The screen size and screen rotation make the overall reading experience more immersive.

Overall, the DX feels more like text and less like device and comes closer to the stated goal of the Kindle: for the device to disappear, leaving only the joy of reading.
Comment Comments (258) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 6:10 AM PDT

Healthometer 402KL Physician Beam Scale w/ Height Rod (390 lb / 180 kg)
Healthometer 402KL Physician Beam Scale w/ Height Rod (390 lb / 180 kg)
Offered by Center Aisle LLC
Price: $179.00
35 used & new from $179.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, Sturdy, Reliable, December 12, 2007
I purchased this scale after a series of run-ins with digital scales. My experience shows in my review's title:

Accurate: the scale gives readings down to 1/5 (.2) of a pound, enough resolution for my needs. It weighs 50 pound bags of horse feed at 50 pounds. It weighs me at the same value if I step on and off and on again: none of the variable readings of my digital scale, and so no averaging. Finally, it is identical to the reading of the scale at my doctor's office.

Sturdy: all parts are well made of durable materials. When assembled, it is solid and quiet. It sits stable on the floor with no wobble.

Reliable: I've used it regularly since I bought it and it operates without a hitch. As a mechanical scale, I don't need to worry about batteries or power. As a non-digital scale, I don't need to worry about the software going haywire, or about the system being affected by the moisture in a bathroom.

Some nifty features:

-- easy to switch between lbs and kg measurements: just flip the two bars with the markings on them.

-- easy to calibrate with a screwdriver.

-- easy to assemble with a screwdriver and a wrench.

Overall a great product for an important use. Buy it!