Profile for Troy Parsons > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Troy Parsons RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $8.06

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, September 15, 2014
And it was so simple to read! I couldn't wait to get started on the process of simplification for my young family.

The Bicycle and the Bush: Man and Machine in Rural Australia
The Bicycle and the Bush: Man and Machine in Rural Australia
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very illuminating, May 15, 2014
Quite enjoyed this. I was expecting it to be a little dry, but far from it. I really enjoyed about some of the epic tours done by early cyclists - imagine riding Fremantle to Rockhampton on a single speed bike across the bush! Also very illuminating learning how formative cycling really was in such car-choked countries like Australia. Excellent pictures.

CyberStorm
CyberStorm
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying, realistic and engrossing, July 21, 2013
This review is from: CyberStorm (Kindle Edition)
This was a great read, I couldn't put the book down - I couldn't sleep until I knew what happened! The premise of the novel does not take a great stretch of the imagination to believe this could really happen. We've seen natural disasters devastate metro areas in recent times, escalating international tensions over cyber-espionage, and we live in ever more technologically dependent societies. A house of cards.

The first person writing style was very fluid and very natural, putting you right in the middle of this grim situation. The characters are very relatable and with a lot to lose - new families with young kids. This is what had me totally wide-eyed and glued to the story; having to give your all to protect your family in this scenario, you can easy understand how compelling and terrifying it would be. I really felt I was the protagonist.

The technicalities of the story were very seamlessly woven into the novel. Whereas some other novels I've read I found technical details were clumsily discussed and drew me out of the story, this was not the case here. I don't think anything here would go over the head of an average reader, and it was very well integrated.

Some other reviewers found the end a little simplistic but I did not at all. In fact I feel that if everything had resolved and was explained 'just so' towards the end of the story, it would have been disingenuous and jarring. I had more than enough adrenaline pumping through my veins to require some formulaic climax at the end.

Overall, this was an exhilarating read.

Trojan Horse
Trojan Horse

4.0 out of 5 stars Great premise, quite compelling, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
When reading 'Trojan Horse' it's apparent the writing is not of a seasoned author, but the premise of this novel is what sets it apart. It's sci-fi (comsci-fi?) completely based in the facts of technology today; exploits of today's computer and phone technology used in international espionage and terrorism. In this regard it reminds me of novels like William Gibson's 'Spook Country' ("5 minutes into the future") and while 'Spook Country' has the benefit of coming from a more established and talented author, I enjoyed the grounded premise of 'Trojan Horse' more.

The first 20% of the book was extremely jarring to me though - the author often steps out of the story to explain technical concepts. I understand why he felt the need to do this (hey, not everyone knows what DNS is) but I felt even if it dealt with technical concepts I did not understand (say medical terminology) somehow it could have been handled with more finesse. I kept expecting a quiz at the end of the chapter! Thankfully, Russinovich hits his stride, and by half way through, I really didn't put my Kindle down.

Beyond the technology basis of the book, the rest is fairly typical us-versus-them, good-versus-evil, spy thriller stuff complete with a good explosion, which is all reasonably compelling. The author's investigation of the characters' inner thought processes adds a lot to the story.

On a side note, it was also a fairly weird experience to be using procmon and a few other tools Russinovich has produced for work related technical investigations whilst reading this novel.

Given this is only the second novel of Russinovich's, I am definitely keen for his future works!

CygoLite Milion 200 LED Rechargable 1-Piece HeadLight W/ Helmet Mount.
CygoLite Milion 200 LED Rechargable 1-Piece HeadLight W/ Helmet Mount.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not made to last, making it overpriced., January 25, 2012
First off, I do really like this light. USB rechargeable? Great! It's also super bright and great for commuting. The handlebar mount and helmet mount give you options, and it's quick to swap it over to a different bike.

However, I bought this as a more solid replacement for my PlanetBike Blaze when the mounting fins broke off its base. Grr. I dismissed the Blaze as being cheap, especially when I held the comparatively hefty Milion in my hands.

However the Milion is also not designed to last. The mount is attached by a tiny screw that simply screws into the base of the unit. The base is simply a regular nut embedded 1mm into the plastic shell. It cannot last. (A broader metal sheet, or metal shell is really required). Unless the roads you ride are baby-bum smooth, expect 18 months out this before needing to repair it. Lets see how long my superglue repair will hold it...

For the price, this thing should be made to withstand some wear and tear.

Windows PowerShell Cookbook: The Complete Guide to Scripting Microsoft's New Command Shell

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version fixed (was: Contents page ruins the Kindle version), November 1, 2011
Hows that for service? A response from the author having enhanced the book's contents! (Refer comments). This makes the book far more navigable and useful from a Kindle (including desktop version and cloud reader). I couldn't automatically update my book from the manageyourkindle page, so I had to contact customer service who very promptly got me all sorted out - do this if you happen to have the old Kindle version. Since the update I would recommend the Kindle version - I find it a useful and handy reference if I can't quite crack a certain task, and a hell of lot lighter than the print version :)

--- Old review ---

This review applies to the Kindle version, which is currently flawed and requires an update. Please O'Reilly fix it!

The general content of the book is great, and worthy of the other rave reviews on the site. I needn't really repeat them here. The problem is being able to find it.

The contents for the Kindle version lists each 'recipe' along with the sub items of 'problem', 'solution', 'discussion' and 'see also' beneath them. This means, what should be a quick-reference sheet, becomes very busy and difficult to parse. It's even hard to follow what chapter you are looking through. You can compare the Kindle versus Print in the 'Look Inside' to see what I mean - the print version contents spans 10 pages, neatly laid out, while in the Kindle version you must click through at least 50 pages of useless links.

Kindle search can't really help you out, because it can't search with context, and a simple keyword search will yield lots of useless results.

In the end I typically give up and search Google instead, making this book a waste of money for me.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2012 9:25 PM PDT

Wonders of the Universe
Wonders of the Universe

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it went deeper, August 31, 2011
This book does a really great job of putting into perspective the immense aspects of the universe, whether it be the sheer size or age of it, or even the age it will be when it dies!

However, I do wish it went a little deeper into the underlying physics of things. Professor Cox has wonderful and poetic analogies, but they can remain a little superficial, I was left thirsting for more gory details on why things are the way they are! Yet, it leaves you thirsting to know more about the astonishing nature of the cosmos. I never wanted to stop reading.

As for the Kindle version, the book is readable, but disjointed as what must be magazine-style layout in a book does not present very well on the Kindle. Many of the images are very detailed, vibrantly colored, and hence not really viewable on the Kindle. Future large-format, color readers should be great. (Check out the images on your PC)

Timbuk2 Nylon Kindle Envelope Sleeve (Fits Kindle Keyboard), Black
Timbuk2 Nylon Kindle Envelope Sleeve (Fits Kindle Keyboard), Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Bullet proof, February 26, 2011
This cover is extremely well made, and is of the same caliber as a messenger bag (like my Chrome one), made from the same Cordura i think. The inside is nice and felty for your Kindle's comfort. It's possibly a little chunky, but then I've damaged several electronic gadgets by going for sleek, foamy sleeves.

I know my Kindle is very well protected in this case. Nothing could pierce it, and I think it would be quite fine being dropped from a height.

Sometimes I think a holster style sleeve would be more convenient than this slip-off one, but as a vegetarian, I didn't find any decent looking non-leather alternatives.

Pros:
- Well made
- Super protective
- Looks pretty bad-ass
- Is cruelty-free

Cons:
- Velcro closure may wake your partner if you read late!
- Not as sleek as (less-protective) alternatives
Comment Comment | Permalink

Mahjong: A WikiFocus Book (WikiFocus Book Series)
Mahjong: A WikiFocus Book (WikiFocus Book Series)

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, like the game!, February 23, 2011
Bought this to try and understand how to play mahjong. It answered some questions but raised more. The formatting is broken which makes part of the book hard to follow.

Lonely Planet Singapore  (City Guide) (City Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Singapore (City Guide) (City Travel Guide)

3.0 out of 5 stars eBook version ok, a bit cumbersome, February 11, 2011
There are other good reviews here on the content, so I won't focus on that.

I bought the Kindle version of this book to try it out for one thing, and it was easier than finding a book store!

First off, I commend Lonely Planet for releasing this in an eBook format. After travelling for eight months, it became quite difficult to find guide books, find *genuine* guidebooks, and not to mention, lug them around. At first, I thought Lonely Planet only released PDF versions, which are next to useless on an electronic device. This eBook is immeasurably better than a PDF, and is easy to read. But even with Kindle's highlighting and book-marking features, it is a bit cumbersome to navigate back and forth like you would in a regular guidebook.

Scenario: you are following the walking tour map with your Kindle, turning it this way and that. You look like a bit of a weirdo for one thing :) But then, what is sight 5? So click back-back-back to read up on point 5. Then you need to page forward-forward-forward back to the map. Hit the five-way controller to get back to the map, click to enlarge, then back to the map, rotate device. Also, walking around with Kindle in hand, I was a bit worried about knocking or dropping it.

I think once eReaders have touch-screens, guidebooks will be a bit more realistic. Until then, stick to the physical guide book is my advice.

Page: 1 | 2