Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Labor Day Savings with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Profile for JY > Reviews

Browse

JY's Profile

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JY "MP" RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Univeral 82mm Center Pinch Snap-on Front Lens Cap for Canon DSLR Camera
Univeral 82mm Center Pinch Snap-on Front Lens Cap for Canon DSLR Camera
Offered by Eforcity
Price: $4.77
10 used & new from $2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars That's an excellent value. BTW, May 17, 2015
The cap works as expected. It's decent in fit and finish, but I suspect that depends on the vendor that you chose. If not for the empty center, where a manufacturer logo would normally go, it could pass for an OEM part.
I got it from vendor Go Carol, out of HK, for only $2 shipped. That's an excellent value. BTW, I wouldn't pay the $7 that some vendors are asking.
Deducted one star due to the fact that the string that came with it is garbage. It's just a bare thin 12" black string, with no plastic fastener like shown in the picture. While there's a small hole in the cap to loop the string through, there's no way to secure the other end to the lens. I discarded it.

Car Mount, Nexcon Universal Smartphone Air Vent Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6, 6 plus 5S 5C 5 4S Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge S5 S4 S3 Note 4 3, HTC One New M8 M7, LG G3, All Other Smartphones, Red/Black
Offered by Nexcon, Inc
Price: $13.49

4.0 out of 5 stars It works as expected, It requires 2 hands to ..., March 20, 2015
It works as expected,
It requires 2 hands to operate. I wish the spring that gives tension to the 2 grapplers was not that strong.
It supports an iPhone 6+ with the Apple silicone case. I'd say that's the limit. No bigger.

VidPro 35 inch Tripod Carrying Case with Strap for Bogen-Manfrotto, Sunpak, Vanguard, Slik, Giottos and Gitzo Tripods
Offered by VIDEO CAMERA CENTER
Price: $11.99
14 used & new from $11.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but not necessarily a good value, March 3, 2015
Very thin. Protects your gear against rubbing/scratches. Not much else.
Definitely not for checking into airline cargos.
But it was cheap.

Bolse® [Apple MFi Certified] 6 Feet / 1.8m Extra Long Cloth Jacketed Tangle-Free USB 2.0 A to 8 Pin Apple Lightning Cable for iPhone 6, 5, 5s, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPod nano 7, iPod 5G (Light Blue/Yellow)
Offered by LowerPriceUSA
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but bulky, March 3, 2015
Much better quality than the original cable from Apple.
I have been using it every night for 3 months now. It's still working great.
It is kind of stiff and bulky if you need to pack it for travel but if you need 6 ft, this is the one to get.

EBL® 8 Pack High Capacity 2800mAh AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batterie, 1500 Cycle
EBL® 8 Pack High Capacity 2800mAh AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batterie, 1500 Cycle
Offered by AIBOCN
Price: $15.99
3 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Initial capacity checks out. Will update rating based on LSD-ness and how well they hold charge, March 3, 2015
Currently, Amazon is selling charger and/or batteries in the same product listing. Makes the reviews confusing, to say the least.
I bought a set of 8 EBL 2800mAh batteries.

Upon receiving, I gave them a full discharge (at 350mA) followed by a full charge (at 700mA).
The pictures show the resulting voltage and capacity at the end of the charge cycle, while still in the charger.
As a baseline (to prove that my charger is still working correctly), I've also tested my trusty Eneloop batteries (identical conditions), which are rated at 2000mAh.

I've seen reviews claiming that these are not Low Self Discharge batteries, despite the manufacturers claims that they are LSD.
Less than 1 day after charging and without any use, the voltage had dropped to about 1.37V. But that's not totally unexpected, as NiMH batteries tend to do that. Their claim to fame is that they can hold 1.2V during heavy operation much longer than Alkalines.
I will have a chance to test how well it holds the charge and their LSD-ness soon and will update this review accordingly.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Omaker Intelligent 15600mAh(Dual 2.1A Output and 2.1A Input) Portable Charger External Battery Pack (Orange+Grey)

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied customer, February 25, 2015
It works exactly as advertized. Except for one thing, which I don't know why they didn't advertise: this battery has a charge-through function. In other words, you can charge the battery pack (connected to a wall charger, not supplied) while it's charging your mobile device, simultaneously.
I have no way to validate the claims of 15.6 Ah. From my testing, it seems to be close to that number. I can recharge an iPhone 6+ (3 Ah) fully (starting from 4% battery left) and it only drops 1 LED light (25%). That seems to indicate that I can recharge 4 times, but I have not had the chance to confirm that yet.
It also charges my phone pretty quickly, similar to the Apple charger that came with the iPad, which is rated at 2.1 A, so their claims for the USB output seem to be accurate. I have tested charging an iPhone 6+ and an iPad Air simultaneously. It works fine.
It came with 2 USB cords for charging the power bank (don't know why). It's a very good quality cord. The USB connectors are tight and plug in with a positive feel. Better than the original Apple cord.
They could have saved on one cord and provided an integrated flashlight, like their other models do. That would have made me buy a few more of these to give as gifts to family and friends.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2015 7:59 PM PST

Zendure® A3 Portable Charger 9600mAh - Extremely Durable Compact and Lightweight External Battery Pack & Power Bank (2.1A Max Dual USB Output) for iPad, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Nexus, HTC, Motorola Droid, LG Optimus, MOTO X and more - Silver
Offered by Zendure

4.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price. Charge through doesn't work - see update, January 6, 2015
It's too bad that I can't recommend the A3 charger.
Don't get me wrong... I like the metal suitcase design with a rubber bumper surrounding it. It seems sturdy enough.
The other features (2 USB ports, 4 LED power level indicator lights) aren't unique to Zendure. In fact most competitor chargers have those features and more. For example, there is one that even includes a very handy flashlight. Search on Amazon and you'll easily find it.
What is unique is the charge through feature: you (allegedly) can charge the A3 charger while it is charging whatever device you hook up to it. Unfortunately, that feature doesn't work. While charging (from the wall) the A3 charges your device for a few seconds and stops. If you hit the power button, it charges again for a few seconds and stops. Unplugging the A3 from the wall charger, it works fine and will top off your device.
I even gave them the benefit of the doubt and had Amazon replace the unit. When this same issue happened again with the replacement, I contacted Zendure customer support. They suggested a few things to try but when I reported the results back (didn't work, btw), they basically gave up on me and never even responded to my last email.
Searching the reviews, I see that I'm not alone. There are several reviews complaining about this "hit or miss" feature.
For the price (yes, there are much cheaper chargers out there, with better feature set and very good reviews; did I mention at much cheaper price point?), I expected at least decent customer support.
I just returned the second unit. Thanks Amazon for your hassle free return policy.

Update (May/2015):
Zendure confirmed that the entire batch of A3 had a defect related to the charge through function.
They pulled it out from Amazon and only relisted the A3 again recently. They sent me one from the new batch and I can confirm that it works now, and that's why I'm up-ing my review to 4 stars.
Deducted one start due to price being on the high side. I wish they had more features... an LED flash light would be an ideal additional function for something like this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 6:53 AM PST

Ozeri Serafino Double Wall Insulated Iced Tea and Coffee Glasses, 16-Ounce, Set of 2
Offered by Moderna Housewares LLC
Price: $29.95
3 used & new from $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars They are way too fragile for every day use, September 14, 2014
I bought the 2-piece set based on the high ratings they received here on Amazon.
If you google borosilicate glass you'll find that it's the material marketed as Pyrex. If you'll recall your mom's Pyrex sets from the 80's, they are indestructible. They are also thick and heavy.
I have no way to confirm (or refute) that these Ozeri Sarafino glasses are in fact made of Pyrex, but they are definitely not thick nor heavy. I'd say they are way too fragile for everyday use.
They do seem to preserve a cold drink a bit longer than a regular glass would. It's not as long as a double wall thermos would, since there's no lid and the top is a fairly large opening. What I do enjoy is the fact that there is no sweating on the outside. When I have an icy drink in a regular glass, invariably my desk is covered with water after a few minutes. These glasses solve that problem.
Unfortunately, as I was saying, these glasses are way too fragile. I had to file an exchange with Amazon because one of them had a small crack on the lip, which I only noticed a few days after receiving them. Amazon was nice enough to rush me a replacement set of 2. Unfortunately, upon close inspection, the replacement set also had an even bigger crack in one of them. And the other one had a defect (a dent due to fabrication).
I'm disappointed in their quality control, which lets these kinds of defects pass.
So I returned the 2 glasses with cracks, and ended up with a set where one of them has a dent.
They are functional, but I don't think it's worth the price. And as another reviewer said, I have to be extra careful when using them on a granite countertop. In fact, the only place I feel comfortable in using them is on my wood desk.
I have been washing them by hand, again, with extra care, which is way more effort than I care to put into. I finally got tired of it and stuck them in the dishwasher, making sure they don't contact with anything. They survived the first wash. Will see how they fare after a few more washes.
As of this writing Amazon pulled this item out of their inventory. I want to believe it's not just me that have had issues with this item. I'm surprised that it got the high reviews that it got, so I felt compelled to write this review...

Update: Ozeri customer support sent me a replacement. I now have a complete set.
I've decided to bump up one star for their proactive customer care. Thank you.
I also have been putting these glasses in the washing machine. Always top shelf, making sure that they don't physically touch any other items during the wash. They have survived many washes. Bumping up another star for that.
I think 4 star is a fair rating. I can't give it 5 stars yet because, as I originally said, they feel extremely fragile and light weight in the hands. When I place them down on a hard surface such as a granite countertop, even with extreme care, they make a noise that makes me feel uncomfortable. To be fair, nothing is broken, just the non-confidence-inspiring noise.
If they survive 1 year, I will revise this review to 5 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2014 9:17 AM PDT

Carson SensorMag LED Lighted Cleaning Loupe for Camera Sensor, 4.5x30mm, Black (SM-44)
Price: $17.89
7 used & new from $17.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, May 22, 2014
It's not a very complex job (provide light and magnification), and this loupe does it well. The light is sufficiently bright, but it has no intensity adjustment. Either ON or OFF.
It comes with a hard case, which is very nice for storage and protection. I can envision the lens getting dirty very quickly without the case.
I found that it was somewhat difficult to mount it securely on the camera opening. Typically, a lens mount will have protrusions and this loup has notches to accommodate that, but you need to rotate it to find the right angle. Once securely mounted, it would be nice to not have to remove it for cleaning the sensor. Besides, the light it provides can help with the sensor cleaning.
The problem is... it only swings out 45 degrees. That's not enough to get the loupe fully out of the way and makes it very hard to clean while it's mounted.
If not for that one detail, it'd be a 5 star.

Visible Dust EZ Sensor Cleaning Kit with 1 ml VDust Plus Liquid Cleaner &4 DHAP (orange) 1.0" size Swabs
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $19.95
3 used & new from $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not lint free, May 22, 2014
It does the job, but could be better. I list the issues in decreasing order of importance:
1) The swabs ARE NOT lint free! This is the biggest issue. While any lose lint that gets stuck on the sensor can be blown away with an air blower, some will stick to the felt like material lining the sides of the sensor chamber.
2) The liquid bottle should be plastic (instead of glass) so one can squeeze the right amount onto the swab. As is, you touch the bottle tip with the swab and it sucks the liquid. Inevitably, it over saturates the swab. The end result is that you can't just do a one pass cleaning, as recommended. Too much liquid will leave streaks after drying, and you need to wait for the swab to dry and then go at it again, multiple times. Fortunately, the streaks can be "polished" out.
3) The swab size is too big. Technically, they are cut to match exactly the sensor size, which leaves very little room to move in any direction other than straight across the sensor. Per (2) above, it's pointless to expect to do a one pass. If you have to do multiple passes, it would be better to have a smaller swab. In hindsight, I'd get the crop sensor swab for my full frame sensor.
4) The plastic sticks are slippery and don't grip well in your fingers. Wood would be better.
5) Expensive for what it is. Only a tiny bit of solution. Probably enough for the 4 cleanings (4 swabs). They probably wouldn't want to go lower in price (fixed cost for packaging, shipping, etc) but I'd say doubling the content for the same price would be the right balance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4