Profile for jbembe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 109

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

jbembe RSS Feed (Ann Arbor, MI United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Panasonic TC-P42S2 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (2010 Model)
Panasonic TC-P42S2 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (2010 Model)
2 used & new from $900.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, January 3, 2011
I got this TV from the great black friday sale. It is an amazing improvement over the 10 year old CRT tube we had, so I can't say I'm too good at the technical details and there is no comparison. After hooking this up with HDMI cables and a compenent setup for the Wii, I have to say it is quite amazing. We also got a PS3 to play blurays, and not only do bluray movies look arresting, but I have found black ops to be totally amazing on this as well. I'm still nervous about making such a large purchase online, but so far there has been few concerns. I am paranoid about it though, after reading many articles on AVS forum, and eventually want to make sure I have the color setup properly. It is hard to tell because I don't have a "perfect" standard to compare too, but it looks much better than our old TV and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of playing test slides for 100 hours on initial setup.

I was a bit annoyed with the delivery people who didn't want to even let me take it out of the package and let me check that the thing turned on because they were in such a rush. They asked me to sign papers saying everything was working and we had a nice argument as to whether they were actually supposed to make sure everything worked before taking off, with them arguing that I didn't get the "platinum" delivery option so they didn't have to do any of the things they wanted me to sign off on. I felt I was getting BS-ed but they let me take it out and make sure it turned on. I was also worried about the fact that the thing arrived nearly frozen (Michigan is cold in the winter), which can't be good for electronics can it? I have also heard a bit of creaking and wonder about the front bezel which has two dimples in the front and has some areas that creak when pressed, whereas other areas show no creakiness (anyone notice dimples front bottom or creakiness in their TV, is this a huge issue?) I don't know if this is normal or will affect the future performance of the TV, but so far everything looks OK.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2011 8:27 AM PST

We Walk This Road
We Walk This Road
Price: $8.64
75 used & new from $1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic New Album, June 28, 2010
This review is from: We Walk This Road (Audio CD)
I've only had this album for less than a week, but I can tell it will be a real favorite for a long time. There are some ridiculous complaints that the album is too constrained, as if Robert Randolph should be playing overkill solos in every song he ever creates. I don't think Hendrix, SRV or Clapton ever did that, so to complain that he doesn't go all out with sheer guitar madness in every solo is absurd. This is a sublime album, and it doesn't fit into the cookie cutter music other artists produce where every album fits the same niche and routine. Try listening to 2 different Beck albums and then complain that they don't sound the same, you're missing the point. This is an excellent album, maybe even better than Unclassified, but I've worn that album out listening to it and only time will tell just how great this album will be for me. So far, it is superb!!!

My Mother's Hymn Book
My Mother's Hymn Book
Price: $8.99
65 used & new from $5.10

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential album for believers, March 8, 2009
This review is from: My Mother's Hymn Book (Audio CD)
I have very much enjoyed listening to this album for the last several years and it uplifts me every time I hear Cash singing these beautiful hymns. Recently I have begun singing these hymns with this CD every night before putting my son to bed. I intend to have him remember the passion and beauty of these songs based on hearing Cash's renditions for the rest of his life as his precious childhood memories. Thanks Johnny.

Keep It Together
Keep It Together
Price: $11.50
129 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, May 30, 2007
This review is from: Keep It Together (Audio CD)
I've owned this album for over three years now, and just to clarify its greatness, it is still a great album to me. I have played it on road trips and times when I just want to really focus on music, and this album always delivers. You will not be dissappointed!

Live at the Filmore
Live at the Filmore
Offered by MediaWarehouseUSA
Price: $18.99
58 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland Live Album, November 3, 2006
This review is from: Live at the Filmore (Audio CD)
Yes, I know, when a band plays the Fillmore it should go down as magic in music history. And, having seen the LLB several times live in Concert in the past couple years I have seen some awesome musicianship and incredible live playing. Unfortunately this album seems to sterilize their sound and spontanaeity and loses the great feeling I've seen from them live. Maybe they were nervous about recording and wanted it to be perfect? WHatever the issue, it does not come across well for me. Either my expectations were too high or something, but I took this CD back and was greatly dissapointed. I expect someday that they will release a true live rocker someday that really captures their awesome live sound, but this ain't it.

Electric Blue Watermelon
Electric Blue Watermelon
Price: $12.20
47 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great New Blues Rock N Roll Effort!, November 17, 2005
After getting 51 Phantom, I was convinced that the NMA could jam and play solid music, but they weren't demanding all of my attention and finding their way onto my iPod repeatedly. Mind you it was a great effort and I really liked the album, but it didn't have that extra something to make it really compelling. When I saw that Lucinda Williams contributed to this album, I decided to give it a go because she's an artist that really DOES compel me. Well, I'm very happy that I got this album, I've listened to it half a dozen more times than the new Rolling Stones album I bought at the same time. This album is fresh and hot, borrowing from the blues but looking forward and making exciting music. Rarely do I repeat play any song on a new album when I first get it because I want to learn most of the songs before I get too choosy, but with this album I find myself coming back to several songs over again 'cause I just have to hear that awesome beat/sound/guitar riff. These guys are really good and show great craftmanship on this album. If they keep it up, they may just become one of my favorite artists. As it is, this album is demanding a great amount of my attention. Definitely worth checking out, highly recommended.

Live @ The Fillmore
Live @ The Fillmore
Price: $17.66
80 used & new from $3.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucinda Raw and Live, November 15, 2005
This review is from: Live @ The Fillmore (Audio CD)
I wasn't too sure about this CD because I have most the studio albums and why do I need a live album with most of the same material? Well, first of all if you've seen Wilco play live you will have a reference point to the kind of guitar razing that these guys can do. Wilco has been deconstructing the guitar solo, and there are places on this album where the same thing happens. It is quite awesome, the eight minute "Joy" has a completely awesome guitar jam that gets my blood pumping everytime its so insanely good. The best part is that the playing is perfectly matched with the singing and lyrics so that everything comes together with the perfect emotional punch. If you want to be overhauled, listen to Change the Locks, Atonement, Righteously, and Real Live Bleeding Fingers & Broken Guitar Strings. Simply FANTASTIC, this guy totally unleashes on his guitar. Anyway, if you had any doubt, Lucinda and her band come together perfectly on this album and I highly recommend it.

Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Programmable Cone Coffeemaker, Black
Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Programmable Cone Coffeemaker, Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Waste of Money, September 25, 2005
This coffee maker actually made coffee for about 4 months, then it started leaking. Then it became completely clogged and non-functional due to all the "special" parts that boiled off the water and condensed minerals inside the tubing. Maybe if you want to purchase distilled water just to make coffee, it would work for you. Otherwise it's a nifty looking peice of junk.

0 stars.

Revolutions of Time: Journey 1975-93
Revolutions of Time: Journey 1975-93
12 used & new from $2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great American Icon, June 20, 2005
Willie Nelson is a musician without peer in my book. This compilation is probably close to my absolute favorite box set and it converted me into a serious fan of Willie's music. So much attention has been put onto country legends after Cash's recent success, and I personally think that Willie Nelson is just as good and worth the same attention. And he continues to find excellent artists and promote them by playing or recording them like Los Lonely Boys or Spoon. Don't miss his art.

Crazy: The Demo Sessions
Crazy: The Demo Sessions
Price: $14.69
62 used & new from $0.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Willie, June 20, 2005
I love these songs on this set. They are just bare and let you see Willie on his own without any added frill. The "Gotta Get Drunk" song gets me rocking and the others are just great versions of his tunes. Check it out!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11