Profile for Stephen Lerch > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 109

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen Lerch RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PDP AG7 True Wireless Headset for Xbox One
PDP AG7 True Wireless Headset for Xbox One
Price: $99.99
4 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly wireless, only complaint is noise cancelation on chat makes me harder to hear to my party members, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The PDP AG7 are a great sounding pair of wireless headphones for use on the Xbox One. The microphone is slightly testy, but overall, a nice headset.

Where this stands above other headsets, with the exception of the Turtle Beach 420x (which I also own), is that it is completely wireless. Previously PDP released the Karga headset that was "wireless" in that you didn't plug anything directly into the Xbox One - you still had to connect to the chat adapter on the controller, however. The AG7 is completely wireless. All you do is plug a USB device into the side of your Xbox One, power on the headset, and you are now able to get music and chat without any wires.

And the wireless capability is where this really excels. NOT having to use that... horrible chat adapter is nothing short of fantastic. The only downside is that the USB adapter seems as though it MUST be plugged into the side of the Xbox One. The reason, for me, that this is disappointing is that I also play a lot of Killer Instinct, which means when I plug my arcade stick in, if I want to use this headset, I have to unplug the controller or plug it into the rear of the system.

Sound quality is fantastic. Bass for explosions rocks your ears nicely, but music/audio is still crisp and clear. You have two audio settings you can switch between Bass Boost and Pure Audio. Bass Boost boosts the low end (explosions!) bumps the 20-220 range for more impressive explosions, punches, and gunshots, while Pure Audio is meant to present you the sound exactly as the developers intended. When listening to music or focusing on a game, I prefer Pure Audio, but for things like Killer Instinct, the Bass Boost option is pretty fun to hear.

Chat quality is - mixed. In the headset, chat sounds very good. The mic, however, seems to have a touch too much noise cancellation applied, so I have to talk a little louder for my party to hear me. This is a aggravating at some times of the day, especially if you buy a headset like this to have fantastic game audio in the evenings when your significant other is sleeping. Having to speak up to your party defeats some of the purpose. I am hoping there is a firmware update to correct this, but out of the box it's a little disappointing and the reason I dropped a star.

Build quality is solid. The ear pads are well padded, feel good, and wearing glasses for 4+ hour sessions has caused me no pain - and that's nothing short of amazing. The headband is also nicely padded and comfortable.

The light up side is fun at first, but something I am very happy I can turn off, as after a while it is a bit annoying.

One feature I miss, that "all" the old headsets had, was the dynamic audio adjustment for chat vs in game sound. It seems MS hasn't made this a possibility yet, so you have to strike a balance yourself between chat and in game sound. I do not blame this on PDP, SteelSeries, or TB as each of them offered headsets for the 360 that had varying levels of success providing the auto adjustments.

The mute button is big (it's the power button as well) and easy to find/press when your significant other comes in to talk to you.

In comparison to the 420x from TB, I like the sound quality from these a little better, but prefer the chat capability of the 420x mic to this one, as my party hears me better with the 420x. If you will play alone a lot, and just want amazing sound without breaking the bank and don't mind lower chat capability with your friends/party, I'd pick the AG7. If you play in party a lot, go with the 420x.

In the end, the AG7 is a great headset, with an MSRP about $50 less than the equivalent Turtle Beach option. It falls down a little on the chat side because of what I believe is a little too aggressive noise cancelation, but the audio from these is fantastic.

Recommended

Nationite RX41 Portable Bluetooth Audio Receiver w/Built-in Battery - Stream From Your iPhone or Other Bluetooth Device To Your Old Stereo System
Offered by MP4NATION
Price: $29.50
2 used & new from $23.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Works decently, build quality a little cheap - no audio controls make the use case geared to AV receiver connections, August 1, 2015
If you are looking for a BT receiver the Nationite RX41 is a good option IF:

You don't need the ability to control the music from the receiver (volume, track playback)
Don't want to carry it around with you (think making a pair of wired headphones work wirelessly in a way)

Build quality is decent, but not amazing. The case is entirely made from plastic and fairly flimsy. I've had higher quality receivers come through, but I've also had a LOT more cheaply built devices come through as well.

Pairing is simple. When powering the device on, hold the power button down. The blue light will flash quickly, indicating it is ready to pair. Enable BT on the device whose audio you want to transmit, locate the RX41 device, tap it, and it pairs. Once paired, the blue light will remain lit.

To connect this to your car, or AV receiver, or any other device that can accept 3.5mm input, simply plug the 3.5mm cable that is included in the box to the RX41, and then plug it into your receiving device. Switch over to the input and you should now be able to listen to music or answer phone calls (assuming you pair to a phone) with the RX41 through your speakers. I have tried this in my car and it works fairly well. I've also used this to make a pair of wired headphones wireless. The only thing that could make the box better is if it had a pocket or belt clip to keep it on me without having to try to stick it in a pocket or something.

It can be used as a BT speaker phone kind of device (assuming you have headphones or whatever plugged in to hear your friend). It works, but quality is a little... chintzy. It sounds OK, and I'm picked up OK, but quality is a lot better directly on the phone. If this is your desired use case, I would look for another device.

The other thing I would like to see is audio controls on the box. It would be nice to be able to control the volume, and playback of music, directly from the RX41. As it stands, you will have to have your phone or whatever on you when listening to switch tracks and control volume. Slightly disappointing but not enough to really have me not recommend it to someone. If you need that level of control, I would look elsewhere.

In the end, the build quality is just OK, but capability is good. Sound quality isn't bad. I would just like a belt clip and audio controls to make this 5 stars.

Sample provided for review.

Brainwavz BLU-100 Sport Bluetooth 4.0 APTX Headphones
Brainwavz BLU-100 Sport Bluetooth 4.0 APTX Headphones
Offered by MP4NATION
Price: $39.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound good, fit well, easy to pair, and offer aptX capability if you can use it, August 1, 2015
With aptX support, these IEMs "sing." Without it, they still sing, but not quite as clearly. If you have never heard the difference between aptX and non-aptX, you won't know what you are missing, and these will sound fantastic in your setup.

As with all Bluetooth headsets, the first thing is pairing. And pairing on these is just as easy as you have become accustomed to. When powering them up, keep the power button held down until the light flashes. Enable BT on your phone/player/whatever and look for the BLU. Click it, pair it, and you are ready to rock and roll. If you are prompted for a PIN (I was not prompted on my Lumia 1020, work iPhone 5s, or my Surface Pro 3), you will want to input 0000.

Another thing to remember, as with all in ear headphones, always pick the proper sized rubber bud for proper fit in your ear. Installed out of the box was the medium bud, but they also come with Small, Large, and Comply tips. If you want the best sound quality, the best sound and noise isolation, you almost definitely want the Comply tips. That's the first thing I did after pairing - I swapped in the Comply tips. They are made from the same material as ear plugs, and always provide a great fit. They do wear out, but are easy enough to find replacements on Amazon.

Once paired and placed in ear, you will notice a touch deeper bass. I didn't feel bass was too overpowering, but it is definitely accentuated. I personally prefer natural, neutral sound but don't find the BLU-100s unpleasant in the slightest in actual use out of the box, but wth a little EQ these are very easy to dial into MY perfect sound. I can envision many folks will be happy with the sound without EQ as well.

Highs are crisp, without becoming too sharp or piercing. Mids are clear, with presence - vocals are superb. The Lows are a little too accentuate for my taste, but not to a point where it destroys the harmonics of the rest of the sounds.

Sound quality without aptX has a decent amount of presence and warmth, and sounds good. Sound quality WITH aptX offers great presence and warmth, with great sound quality. Definitely use aptX if you have it.

My biggest complaint is actually the small buttons on the control switch. They are a little small, and because of how close to your face they sit, finding the proper button often involves popping the headphone out to look at the switch and press the button. I've gotten used to it after a few hours of use, but it is something to be aware of.

Build quality, just like every other Brainwavz headphone I've used, is great. They are solidly build, and the cable is high quality without introducing any vibration noise into your listening when you move around.

Overall, these are well built, made from quality materials, and work well with the only caveat being the control piece.

Mega Bloks Halo UNSC Attack Gausshog Building Set
Mega Bloks Halo UNSC Attack Gausshog Building Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. Love the Hog, and this Gausshog is tops! 8+ recommended, but could work fine for a 6+ yr old as well, August 1, 2015
YYYYYEEEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAWWWWWWW!!

I love Halo Mega Bloks. I love the Warthog. We haven't gotten a new 'hog set in a while (think last was 2013, not positive), so getting the opportunity to play with... er, build the Gausshog is a bit of a pleasant fun.

The set is not overly complicated to build. It is only 229 pieces, with a few smaller pieces, but for the most part, not complicated at all. The box says it would be good for 8+ year olds. I believe an interested 6 year old would have no problem with this, HOWEVER, you know your children better than anyone else and what they would be capable to build, so just take my recommendation as that, a recommendation.

The wheel movement is smooth, the Gauss canon can be rotated and pointed in 360 degrees, so you could play with this. If your child plays a little rougher though, they can expect to spend a small amount of time "repairing" bits that will fall off, but there aren't many of those in this set.

The two figures, one Master Chief and one the Arbiter, use the newer designs so they are highly pose-able and look very nice.

Also included in the set is a download code for a Halo 5 Req Pack. Since the game isn't out yet, it's slightly useless so you will want to hang onto the code for future use for sure.

I love this set, and I know your Halo fan children will as well.

Remington PR1285A R8 WetTech Lithium Rotary Shaver, Blue
Remington PR1285A R8 WetTech Lithium Rotary Shaver, Blue
Price: $59.97
16 used & new from $53.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Remington vs Braun Shaver Series 5 590cc, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have owned a Braun Shaver Series 5 590cc for at least 4 years now. I have replaced the shaver head once, and the battery honestly still holds a charge for a week while I travel. I shave dry, but decided to try both on wet/dry to compare. The current price of the 590 is ridiculous, but was $60 on a sale many moons ago when I bought it.

If the Remington will be your first attempt at electric shaving, do yourself a favor and purchase something else. The level of discomfort will likely leave you with a bad taste in your mouth for electric shaving. I am very happy my Braun experience was nothing like this Remmington.

For those with no experience with electric shaving, my first recommendation, after not buying the Remington as a first timer, is to pick up some Lectric Shave. You won't need it all the time, but in the beginning the sensitivity left behind the wake of an electric shave it really helps. I still use it from time to time on my dry face for electric shaving, but don't need it all the time. And Lectric Shave, as stupid and cliché as it sounds, really does feel to give a closer electric shave.

Hands down, on a dry face, the 590cc is smoother, leaves a smooth face, and doesn't feel like any of your hairs are being plucked out. My first experience dry with the Remington was slightly painful, as there were times where my whiskers were being PULLED before being cut. It hurt. The Braun? No such problem. And the Remington left my face a lot rougher than the 590cc.

On a wet face, I think the results were similar in comparison. The Remington worked well enough, and provided a decent shave in the shower. The Braun did as well. I would tie them for wet use.

I've also tried using Lectric Shave for both. Again, Braun wins, no question, hands down. Smoother shave, no pain, and a LOT less stubble. With the Braun I can go 2 days between shaves. With the Remington it is pretty much every single day shaving. No fun.

In terms of the pop up/pop out detail shavers, they are essentially the same. Both do a pretty good job of ridding you of some of the lengthy sideburns, or neck hairs, but neither is as good as a straight razor shave.

If you want an inexpensive electric shaver, this isn't bad. If you want a good shave in or out of the shower, then I wouldn't recommend it. And if this is your first electric shaver, definitely pass for a different product.

Bag Wizard Boys School Laptop Backpacks College Backpack Cute Bookbags (Navy)
Bag Wizard Boys School Laptop Backpacks College Backpack Cute Bookbags (Navy)
Offered by BAG WIZARD
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, well designed, high quality materials, August 1, 2015
As with other Bag Wizard bags I've had the pleasure to use, this particular bag is just as nice, great quality, and well built.

The bag is a nice, deep blue (I requested the blue one with the design only on the front pocket). It is no overly large, and would probably be a great fit for an elementary student or smaller middle school student. You wouldn't likely use this for hiking or similar, and I don't believe that was the intended end use. You could use it for a child to hike with, assuming you complement it with a larger bag on your own back I guess.

All of the seams are well sewn, with no stray fibers hanging around, and corners and areas of stress are nicely reenforced for what should be a long lasting bag.

There are two water bottle pockets on either side of the bag, and bottles fit nicely and relatively securely.

The front pocket is large-ish, offers some separation between sections in the pocket, and also has smaller internal pockets for storing pens/pencils. You can also just use it as one big pocket.

The main pocket has a separator in it, so you could put a tablet computer inside, or a smaller laptop and separate it from the rest of the stuff in the bag. This section is lightly padded. The main pocket has enough space for at least 3 larger school books.

The shoulder straps are nicely designed, decently padded, and re-enforced at the points where they are connected to the bag proper.

I tried to find something to complain about, but there really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the bag. The only thing I might comment negatively is the padding on the shoulder straps could be a little more cushiony, but with how the bag is designed, and the fact that you couldn't cram so much in the bag it would likely cause shoulder pain for most kids, it's really not a huge issue. Sure, you can over pack any bag, but properly loaded this bag will be comfortable with the cushioning provided.

A nice bag, fits a decent amount of "stuff," looks great, and is made from quality material.

Sample provided.

Moxpad X6 Sport In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphone Headphones with Mic for Iphone Samsung,Mobile Cell Phones(Black)
Offered by Geek Fast
Price: $49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sound good, but difficult to get a good fit, August 1, 2015
These headphones, if you can them to fit well enough, have a great sound with slightly accentuated bass and very good noise isolation.

The problem, for me, is getting the proper fit easily all the the time. They should sit fairly deep in your ear canal, but with the way the actual earbud is designed, unless I work at it, I just can't get them to stay in my ear with a deep enough fit. If I work at it for a few minutes, no problem. They went for as compact an earbud headphone as possible, have achieved keeping the headphone in your ear, but it's simply too small for my ear canal depth.

Another issue a lot of folks are likely to complain about is the over the ear cable design. These are designed to wrap the cable around your ear to keep it out of you way and in your ear. I don't mind this, and actually prefer it when I'm doing things around the house, but be aware you may not like this.

When you receive these, what you get are the headphones, the cable to connect the headphones, carrying case, and 3 replacement ear bud gels (S/M/L). Installed on them out of the box are tri-flange tips. If you can use these, they will provide you with the best sound, best fit, and best noise isolation. They can sound fantastic this way. But again, the headphones are small in design and are difficult to keep properly aligned, making it so sound bleeds in and out.

The gimmick here is that the headphones are detachable from the cable. I don't really understand the gimmick, as I don't really see any replacement cables available anywhere yet. And if I could swap them, why would I? The only reason I can see is that if these suffered from an abundance of noise when the cable itself vibrates, but I didn't experience that all.

Sound quality, when you have a good fit, is mostly natural with a slight bump in the bass end of the spectrum. Highs are sharp without being crisp, and mids are clear so vocals sound great.

These can also answer phone calls, which I tried out a few times. It worked OK on my work iPhone 5s, but with the amount of fuss I had to endure to get a good sound I wouldn't use them for this purpose. Sound quality on calls was good and my chat partner had no issue hearing me when I was talking.

In the end, these headphones offer good sound quality for a good price, but I can't really use them myself so I've handed them over to my step daughter who has no issue getting the proper fit.

Sample provided for review.

Mpow Cobble Mini Bluetooth 3.0 Headset Universal Portable Headphone Car Earphone Earpiece for IOS/Android Cellphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, easy to use, easy to pair, works well, call quality is great on both ends, July 28, 2015
Tiny, sounds good, works well, easy to travel with, and did I mention... it's tiny?

Pairing is bang on simple. Hold the center of the button on the headset in for about 5-7 seconds from power off. It should begin flashing blue and red - this is how you know it is ready to pair. Enable BT on your phone or other device, locate the Mpow Cobble, tap it and pair. If you are prompted for a PIN, use 0000. I paired this to my Lumia 1020 and work iPhone 5s and was not prompted for a PIN.

Sound quality is good. I've used it for roughly 8 hours now (this required about 4 full recharges - battery life is not amazing) and the CVC 6.0 digital noise reduction, which is ONLY used for reducing call noise (it's not like Active Noise Cancellation) makes for a great experience on the other end of the earpiece.

Battery life seems to be in the 2.5-3 hour range.

Answering a call is as simple as pressing the button. You can turn the volume up by press the top of the single button, down by pressing the bottom. There aren't a ton of controls needed, and the controls that are there, are functional.

Overall this is a nice, tiny headset that while I wish I could get all day use out of it, I realize this isn't yet possible given the small size of the device, and the even smaller size of the battery.

Sample provided.

Samsung Level U Bluetooth Wireless In-ear Headphones with Microphone, Black Sapphire
Price: $65.60
5 used & new from $64.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound good - if you can get a good fit, July 27, 2015
I had high hopes for the Samsung Level U, based on my experience with the Level Overs. Unfortunately my hopes were quickly dashed when I tried putting them in my ears.

As many others have said, the ear canal sealing provided by these headphones is all but nonexistent. Seriously. I tried all three tips included in the set. None of them gave me a decent ear fit, and each fell out without much problem. Usually I need the middle sized ear bud tips, but the sizes on these all seem to be roughly the same, just that one has an ear clip attached, and another has slightly less rubber.

I'm sure these sound fantastic... if you can keep them in your ear and get a good seal. Unfortunately, that is not the case for probably 90% of the US population, which means anyone buying these is likely to be disappointed.

I like the neck piece. It is comfortable and stays out of the way. Another thing I don't like is that while the headphones are magnetic and can attach to one another, unlike other similar headsets the buds don't lock into the neck piece, they just kind of hang there.

I did not try these as a BT headset for my phone. I only tried them with music, and after having a difficult hearing my music at full volume, I decided it wasn't worth trying to hear anyone on a call.

Not recommended.

Sample provided for free.

Offered by Patozon
Price: $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, easy to use, easy to pair, works well, call quality is great on both ends, July 27, 2015

Battery life seems to be in the 2.5-3 hour range.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20