Profile for Stephen Lerch > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 102

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen Lerch RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fenix - Portable [Mint] Charger 6000 mAh 5V 1.0A External Power Bank with Indicator Light for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, LG and More [Includes a Micro USB Cable]
Offered by Bastexwireless - Authorized ZeroLemon Retailer
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars works, does what you expect, February 27, 2015
For the price, if all you want is a single charging port from your external battery pack, the Fenix is not a bad option to go with. There are other battery packs, which cost a bit more, that will offer up to 2 ports, so just keep that in mind when buying.

Having used so many power banks/battery chargers over the years than I care to admit, there are some features you expect all of them to offer, and I am happy to say that this offers the basics and does so well. It has micro USB charging for the device itself, it offers full speed 2.1 A charging capability via a single USB output, and has an OK indicator of how much power is left in the battery itself.

The battery comes in a nondescript, plain white box. You can complain that this is lame, or you can be happy that this is more environmentally friendly. It's all in how you want to look at it.

The color is nice and subdued. It doesn't look sleek, slim, and fantastically designed, but it's adequately designed.

A feature it lacks, that I never use, is a flashlight capability. It's a nice idea, but it isn't needed and I didn't use this as much justification to drop a star.

There are 2 things to always remember with these battery packs. The first is that, with physics being physics, you really can only ever hope to achieve 85% efficiency when charging your devices. This makes the effective power output of this bank around 5100 mAh, or roughly 3.5 full charges of an iPhone 5s. While not the 6000 mAh described, this is NOT a problem with the power bank, it's a "problem" all power banks will suffer.

The second thing to remember is, never charge the power bank AND a device at the same time. Always charge the bank on its own, and your device from the bank without anything else connected. Plugging in both will reduce the overall life expectancy of BOTH devices. This is not just this power bank, this is all such devices.

I am a little disappointed by the weight of this. I have other Li-polymer based chargers that offer ~5000 mAh and they weigh about 30% less than this one. This isn't a huge problem, but is worth mentioning.

It is of a size that you can't really put this AND your phone in your back pocket for charging. If you carry a backpack or bag of some sort, it's not an issue, but if you want to carry this around in a pocket, you may want to look elsewhere.

In the end, the power bank works as expected, and features all of the capabilities you generally want with an external battery bank. There are slightly more expensive options that offer dual device charging capability, but if all you need is a single device to be charged, the Fenix isn't a bad option.

Sample provided.

Kohree® 12" Off Road Led Work Light Bar Flood/Spot Combo Beam 3W CREE LED-72W-5040 Lumen Great for Jeep Cabin/Boat/SUV/Truck/Car/ATV
Offered by Nextrox Direct
Price: $68.98
2 used & new from $68.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light, be aware it has to be wired for use, February 27, 2015
If you are looking for a very well built, nice and bright work light, and don't mind having to actually set it up with a power switch, this could be exactly what you are looking for.

The construction is rugged, and it feels heavy duty. The light output is high, it does a great job illuminating a work space (I have this next to my computer where I sometimes work on electronics).

Inside the box you have the light and a box with mounting brackets. That's it. But you don't really need more, you just need to know how and where you want to wire this up. You could probably even splice on a power plug and just plug it in/unplug it when you want to use it.

The light output is BRIGHT. It does a fantastic job illuminating a smaller space, and the light it puts out is bright and clean.

Highly recommended.

First Alert THERM-500 Onelink Wi-Fi Touchscreen Smart Thermostat
First Alert THERM-500 Onelink Wi-Fi Touchscreen Smart Thermostat
Offered by Premium Upgrades
Price: $212.09
8 used & new from $200.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a champ. Once configured, you can control this over the Internet from anywhere in the world, February 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you haven an Android device, or iOS device, then you are in luck as there is an app designed for your usage. If you have a Windows Phone, this, much like everything else, does NOT have an app for you. You can also just connect through the Internet from your Windows or Mac computer (and from your Windows Phone, if you have such a device).

For most folks, installation should be fairly easy regardless of what type of thermostat you have. It WILL require some DIY muscle flexing, but it's not a big deal honestly. I'll include links in the comment section below so you can look through them prior to buying and decide if this is something you could maybe do yourself, or call someone who would be willing.

Once this is on the wall, and your old thermostat replaced, when you power it up it walks you through the connection to your Wi-Fi network. When that is setup, you can control your thermostat from anywhere in the world, so long as you have an Internet connection.

There are...a LOT... of features on this thermostat. So many that I would say you may be confused at first, or a little wary of stepping into this. It offers pretty much every feature you could want from a regular programmable thermostat, but can be programmed much more easily in my mind as you can do the programming over the Internet, instead of fumbling through menus.

In the end, you have to decide for yourself if you are willing to connect your thermostat to the Internet, and be aware that the only way to control through is through the Internet with a First Alert account. More security minded folks may not be too happy about this, and may want to avoid this thermostat.

For everyone else, it's fairly easy to install, and being able to control temperature, and program the thermostat, over the Internet is fantastic.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2015 1:01 PM PST

Linksys N600 PRO Wi-Fi Range Extender with Built-In Audio Speaker (RE4100W-4A)
Linksys N600 PRO Wi-Fi Range Extender with Built-In Audio Speaker (RE4100W-4A)
Price: $79.99
2 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Need better Wi-Fi network range? This could really help you, February 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are having issues with your wireless network not having the range you need to cover your entire house, or maybe want to try to extend your network further outside of your house, say you want to sit on your deck with streaming music playing but have spotty coverage, this could really make up for the current deficiency of your network.

The way it works is you plug it into a power outlet (this WILL consume your power outlet, as there is no power pass through, so be aware of this). It will power up, and depending on the color of the light on the front, you can tell if you are in an optimal location or not. Also be aware that powering this up can take a long time. Well, I say "long" time, but that's relative. I have little patience, but I would say this takes about 2 minutes or so to boot up.

Once it's booted, and you have found the optimal location for it to get the best coverage, you can connect pretty much any Wi-Fi enabled device to it to finish configuring it to look like your regular network. I finished the setup with my Surface Pro 3, then reset the device and did it again with my iPhone 5s. Both instances, it worked without much fuss.

Once configured, the extender disappears. You won't see the Linksys default network, only your regular home network, and you will notice much better coverage of your network. I can now get my network out to my deck without any hocus pocus or having to stand in a specific location on the deck to get just spotty coverage. This will be nice when Spring finally springs and I want to sit out there again.

I like it. It works, and it works well.

Recommended

TP-LINK UH720 USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 2 Exclusive Smart Charging Ports Optimally Charge Your iOS (iPad/iPhone) and Android (Tablet/Phone), Supports Windows, Mac OS X and Linux Systems, Backwards Compatible with USB 2.0, No Driver Required, Plug and Play
Price: $50.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice USB3 hub with charging capability, February 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The TP-Link, if you have a use for 7 additional ports for USB on your computer, is a fine choice if you ALSO want to have an additional 2 ports for charging ONLY of some devices.

Setup is simple. Plug in the power. Plug the power into the hub. Plug the included USB3 cable into the hub, then into the computer. Your computer should pick it up and load drivers, no problem. You now have 6 additional ports (it's 7 total ports, but because you have to use a USB port on your computer, you "only" get 6 additional ports) for mice, keyboards, Bluetooth dongles, external hard drives, and so on. You also have 2 additional ports, clearly labeled, that only charge devices.

Why is this nice? Now you don't have your computer recognize when you plug your iPad, iPhone, Lumia phone, Galaxy, or whatever other phone you use, in to charge. The other part is that whatever you plug into these ports will charge the phone or tablet at full speed.

I have run tests on my external hard drives, comparing this hub with the Sabrent 7 port hub I use, and there is no appreciable difference in file transfer speeds, on a platter based USB3 hard drive, from either hub. And both hubs run at part with the USB3 ports directly on my computer.

One thing to keep in mind when buying this. While you CAN plug this into an older USB or USB2 port, it will NOT run at USB3 speeds. You can only get USB3 speeds from a USB3 port on your computer (usually noted by an SS moniker on the port, or it will be blue inside).

Overall, this is a nice little hub that works well, works as expected, and does exactly what you expect.

Recommended.

Symphonized GLXY Premium Genuine Wood In-ear Noise-isolating Headphones with Mic and Nylon Cable (Cherry)
Offered by Symphonized
Price: $49.99
4 used & new from $21.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound, fantastic quality, highly recommended, February 24, 2015
These headphones, at the Amazon price, sound a lot better, a LOT better, than they have the right to sound.

Anyone that knows me, knows I like my music to sound good. To me, it doesn't sound "good," it sounds "right." I have a discerning ear when it comes to headphones, but I am not unable to disconnect myself from price vs performance.

In the case of these GLXY headphones, I would say that, for the price, these are easily one of the nicest sounding pairs of headphones I've had the pleasure to put into my ears.

Before you put these, or any earphones, into your ears, ensure you pick the proper sized bud for your ear. This ensures you have the best fit, which ensures the earphones won't pop up, but most importantly ensure you have a sealed ear that won't allow noise to leak in, or out. This will help you enjoy your music to its best degree.

Sound quality on these earphones is fantastic. Seriously. Bass has the depth you are looking for, but isn't what I would call over-accentuated. Mids are clear, unmuddied and pleasant. Highs are crisp in a good way, not sharp or distracting. I would say the overall sound from these headphones is pleasant and pleasing.

Build quality, to me, seems really good. The cable is braided, so it feels nice and sort of retains a shape. The plug, be aware, is a 90 degree angle. For those that use battery cases on an iPhone that doesn't have an extension cable, this design can cause issue. If you do have a battery case and think this won't work, I'd actually recommend an extension and make due with the connector. These honestly sound THAT good.

Noise isolation, with the proper bud, is very good. Sitting next to my running heater while on my computer, with music playing at moderate levels, I don't really hear the heater. This is about a few steps below the active noise canceling headphones I have, but on par with the best in ear headphones I have.

Included in the cable is the mic. You can answer your phone from the microphone bit near the left earbud. This does NOT give you the ability to set volume up or down. Volume will be controlled by your phone or whatever device you plug these into.

These are 16 Ohm headphones, so you should have no problem driving them to very listenable levels on an phone or other media player. I am using them on my Pono, have used them on my iPhone 5s and my Lumia 1020. Everything sounds good, no issues.

The only thing I might recommend a change on is the packaging. The design on the front is kind of.... silly. Thankfully you don't see that when buying over Amazon. And this is a nothing complaint. It's the only negative observation I could make about these.

These are a fantastic pair of headphones. Highly recommended.

Sample provided for review.

EGOZ Easy to carry blue Warm Adult Sleeping Bag Outdoor Sports Camping Hiking With Carry Bag
Offered by Sport Items
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $29.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, warmer weather, sleeping bag, February 22, 2015
Lightweight, easy to unroll, and decently warm in the right conditions.

This is NOT a cold weather sleeping bag. It is cold in Delaware this winter, ridiculously so, and there is no way this bag will keep you warm without some form of other heat. That's not what it is made for though, so just be aware that it's indoor use only or can be used in a camper (with a heater) in the winter. Obviously this would be a good bag in the Spring/Summer/Fall months.

The bag itself is easy to unroll, and easy to roll back up. Putting it back in the carrying bag can be "fun," (note the sarcasm) but I have yet to find a sleeping bag that rolls up at this size and DOESN'T take a struggle to put back in the carrying bag easily.

The quality of the bag itself, at this price, is also quite good. I am surprised it doesn't feel cheaper honestly, and it seems like it could last quite a few seasons. Very nice.

I think this is a great sleeping bag, for a good value, and worth the money.

Highly recommended, as long as you aren't looking for a cold weather bag.

Sample provided for review.

EGOZ 4-in-1 Micro Fleece Polar Neck Warmer/Face Mask/Hat Snood/Scarf Military Fleece Neck Warm Face Warmer Black Thermal Ski Snowboard Cycling Sports Genuine
Offered by Sport Items
Price: $14.90
2 used & new from $8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, better than a scarf, February 22, 2015
I love this neck warmer. It's soft, it's easy to put on, easy to wear, and it works.

The only thing I didn't like was the smell out of the bag. I washed it before use because of the odor, and now there's no issue at all.

The way it works is you slide it over your head, with the logo facing up. Pull on the tether, slide the plastic stopper into place, and you are ready to roll.

I use this as a neck warmer, and since it's been ridiculously cold here in Delaware of late, I also use it as a face warmer, and it works very well at both applications.

Highly recommended. So much easier than a scarf for me.

Sample provided for review.

Able Planet SH190 Travelers Choice Stereo Headphones w/ LINX AUDIO & Inline Volume-Gun Metal
Offered by Beach Camera Same Day Shipping
Price: $29.95
2 used & new from $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound a bit muddy in the mid/highs, bass over accentuated. Noise isolation is fantastic for the $$. Glasses? May not be for you, February 22, 2015
The Able Planet SH190, if you are looking for headphones that do a fairly good job of blocking outside noise without having the Active Noise Cancellation capability, then they are probably something you might be interested in.

If you are looking for great sound quality, you are likely to be disappointed. I would say they are a bit bass heavy, over accentuating the lows while ignoring the mids and highs. If anything, I think the highs also take a back seat as well, and the mid-high range blends together and becomes muddied.

But, that being said, the noise isolation capability is quite fantastic. My computer sits right next to my house's heater. I am typing this review up while listening to music on the SH190s, and the heater sitting here running, I'm actually pretty much unable to hear the heater at all. And this is at what I would call normal listening volume. I also had them on using my Pono Player. My wife and her daughter were talking, but I couldn't hear them at all. This is, again, at normal listening volume.

In terms of build quality, I would say that these are OK, but nothing amazing. The ear pad is made of faux leather (I assume it's faux leather given the price) which I believe helps with the noise isolation. The headband cushion feels like memory foam and is comfortable enough.

One thing I have to comment on is overall comfort. I wear glasses. Having worn these for about an hour, with my glasses on, I have to say I probably would not recommend these for glass wearers who want to listen longer than that. Being that they are ON ear, you get extra pressure where your glasses meet your ear, and it's impossible to avoid.

Another issue with comfort is heat. For some reason, I think these are quite warm on my ears, that is, in terms of temperature. Wearing them, my ears are sweating. I really don't like this.

If you don't wear glasses though, these are comfortable. I don't NEED to wear my glasses, except when on the computer really or reading, so I can just take them off if I'm just listening or watching TV. Without glasses, they still feel a bit warm, but the ear pain isn't present.

In the end, these are what I would call just OK headphones. At the price, I think the noise isolation is likely second to none, but also at the price, if going for audio quality, I think there are better sets to be had.

Sample provided for review.

Vandesail® CAT7 High Speed Computer Router Gold Plated Plug STP Wires CAT7 RJ45 Ethernet LAN Networking Cable Professional Gold Headed Network Cable High Speed Premium Quality Cat seven / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN (5-meters-Black Column)
Offered by VanDeSaiL
Price: $31.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable, February 19, 2015
If you are look for a nice CAT7 capable cable (works for CAT5 purposes as well), then look no further.

The Vandesail is well built, offers CAT7 capability, and has nice protection for those little clips on the connector. I greatly prefer this setup to the over jacket of some of the more expensive cables available. Those other cables are nice, as long as you just want to plug it in and forget it. As most IT folks will tell you, this isn't always the case outside of the wiring closet.

Overall, it's well built and it works.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20