Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Stephen L > Reviews

Browse

Stephen L's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen L RSS Feed

DBPOWER Hawkeye-II CX-30W FPV Wifi G-sensor Control Quadcopter 4CH 6 Axis RC Drone with 0.3MP Camera for IOS Android

5.0 out of 5 stars Live view on your phone, ability to use your phone as a remote, and this takes a beating, October 12, 2015
Looking for a bit of quadcopter / "dron" fun while having the ability to frame your photos and videos. But... if this is your first drone you will want to concentrate on learning to fly before learning to shoot photos and video. They claim this is a 4 star difficulty... but they don't declare what is easy and what is difficult. I would say in this case, 4 stars is higher difficulty, as out of the box there was a lot of drift. The challenge with these is always in getting them off the ground in a more vertical, less horizontal movement way, and this just drifts horizontally without a bit of finesse and trim.

What I really like is using Wi-Fi to connect my phone to the quadcopter. I can control the copter without needing the remote control. I think there is more granular control in the actual remote, but not having to carry the controller, and having to adjust my coptering accordingly means there is a lot of versatility in this little copter.

Add on the ability to to live view, to see what your copter sees, is awesome.

Why didn't I include video? These things are cool, but you know, they record audio and the sound of the rotors drowns out pretty much everything you would hear. The other issue is I am far from an expert, so getting usable video is a bit difficult for me with this.

Be aware that you need 4 AA batteries, not included, to use the remote.

Wi-Fi pairing to your phone means you connect to the copter's Wi-Fi, instead of your home's Wi-Fi. It has it's own Wi-Fi network so be aware you won't be getting Wi-Fi Internet on your phone while using the copter's live view or live controls.

Build quality is pretty good. I've spent 2 hours (about 5 charges or so) trying to get the hang of this, beating the side of the house, dropping it from 15 feet in the air onto concrete (my finesse with phone control is... lacking) upside down. The rotors are still in good condition, and all the lights work, and it still lifts off now just like it did when I first unboxed it.

Included in the box you get the copter, the remote control, the USB battery charger, and instructions.

I wouldn't call this an easy to control copter, but in terms of taking a beating and still ticking, it would be a good copter to learn with.

Sample provided in exchange for an honest review.

Edifier K815 Computer Stereo Headset Single Connector for Laptops and iMac, Macbook and PlayStation4 splitter adapter included - Black
Offered by Edifier Online Store
Price: $35.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep bass, good chat quality, easy to connect, October 12, 2015
The Edifier K815 offer an OK build quality, a good comfort level, good mic capability, and what I would call a middling sound profile. They don't sound amazing, they don't sound bad.

Specs:

cable length: 2.0m
weight: 0.212KG
connector: 3.5mm
Inline control: Yes

In the box you receive the headphones with mic attached/non detachable, 3.5mm output with an adapter to split the 3.5mm cable into sound and mic capability (the jack is one of the 3.5mm connectors that has Left/Right stereo, and the third spot for the mic that not all computers or devices support).

Build quality is good, but nothing amazing. they are made entirely of plastic with the exception of a few screws, the speakers, and the padding. The padding I can't tell if it is real leather, pleather, or something different, but it is soft and plush. It also does a good job of keeping the sound from bleeding into my environment, or the environment from bleeding into my sound.

Be aware that 40Ω is, if you are using these on your phone or similar device for some reason, a little more power hungry than what you would normally use. You can drive them, they get loud but don't get LOUD.

If you do not like the mic on your left side when chatting and gaming, then this headset is not for you. The mic can swivel up and down in only one direction, it is not reversible.

One thing I don't like is the in line control. It's plastic, and it rattles when it shakes. It doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about long lasting quality.

Comfort isn't bad either. I wear glasses, and I can wear these for about 3 hours before pain sets in. That's about normal for closed ear headphones with my glasses.

Sound quality is a bit bass heavy. Since these are meant more for gaming than music listening, I am not overly surprised that this is the sound profile they went for. I can use JRiver Media Center 21 to dial the sound quality in, so it's almost entirely a given it is in the tuning. But again, these are meant for gaming, and the booming bass of a good explosion really sounds good with these.

Chat quality, when Skyping and gaming, has been described as "good." No one thought it was better than my Sennheiser headset, but no one thought it was worse either.

Because this uses the 3.5mm jack, you could potentially use this with one of the new XBox One controllers with the 3.5mm port. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to.

Overall they are, for the price, a good option to have for PC gaming.

Sample provided in exchange for an honest review.

Waterproof Portable Wireless Mini Sports Earphones, Geega Comfortable Clear Loud Bluetooth Sweatproof Outdoor Lightweight Noise Isolating  Earbuds with Mic (Black/Green)
Waterproof Portable Wireless Mini Sports Earphones, Geega Comfortable Clear Loud Bluetooth Sweatproof Outdoor Lightweight Noise Isolating Earbuds with Mic (Black/Green)

4.0 out of 5 stars Look hideous, sound good, and call quality is great, August 18, 2015
These headphones sound good, look hideous, and offer good call quality for a decent price.

These offer Bluetooth 4.0 compatibility, but NO aptX. They also offer the CVC 6.0 noise isolation. Before you buy these because you believe they are ANC (Active Noise Canceling) like a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort, don't get too excited. This technology is ONLY for reducing noise coming through the microphone on the headset, NOT for providing active noise cancellation.

That being said, with the proper gel/tip installed that offers the proper fit for you ear, these will stay in your ear and offer very good noise isolation. Sitting next to the running blower for our AC, and with the medium tip installed, I barely hear the din of the blower. This is about as good as I expect from non-ANC headphones.

Call quality is excellent. My chat partners all commented on how good it sounded on their end. I am pretty sure it was due to the CVC 6.0 technology, but can't really be sure.

Sound quality is good. Out of the box, bass is a little loose and over blown. Mids are clear and highs are sharp but not piercing. Using EQ in JRiver Media Center 21, I can dial the bass down to a more listenable (for me) level, but it's still too loose for my preference. I docked 1/2 a star for this.

The other reason I docked 1/2 a star is the looks. These things are, without a doubt, absolutely hideous in design. They fit well and sound decent, which is why I wasn't overly harsh on the rating.

Pairing is simple. Hold down the power button while powering up until the light flashes blue and red. Enable BT on your receiving device and locate the Geega S402. Tap it, and it should pair. You can now chat with your friends, and listen to music with decent quality without wires!

If you are prompted for a PIN when pairing, use 0000. I was not prompted on any of my devices.

Overall these are a decent pair of headphones. They aren't amazing, they aren't bad. They do look hideous but make that up in performance, capability, and call quality.

Sample provided in exchange for an honest review.

Nationite RX41 Portable Bluetooth Audio Receiver w/Built-in Battery - Stream From Your iPhone or Other Bluetooth Device To Your Old Stereo System
Offered by Brainwavz Audio
Price: $12.99
2 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works decently, build quality a little cheap - no audio controls make the use case geared to AV receiver connections, August 1, 2015
If you are looking for a BT receiver the Nationite RX41 is a good option IF:

You don't need the ability to control the music from the receiver (volume, track playback)
Don't want to carry it around with you (think making a pair of wired headphones work wirelessly in a way)

Build quality is decent, but not amazing. The case is entirely made from plastic and fairly flimsy. I've had higher quality receivers come through, but I've also had a LOT more cheaply built devices come through as well.

Pairing is simple. When powering the device on, hold the power button down. The blue light will flash quickly, indicating it is ready to pair. Enable BT on the device whose audio you want to transmit, locate the RX41 device, tap it, and it pairs. Once paired, the blue light will remain lit.

To connect this to your car, or AV receiver, or any other device that can accept 3.5mm input, simply plug the 3.5mm cable that is included in the box to the RX41, and then plug it into your receiving device. Switch over to the input and you should now be able to listen to music or answer phone calls (assuming you pair to a phone) with the RX41 through your speakers. I have tried this in my car and it works fairly well. I've also used this to make a pair of wired headphones wireless. The only thing that could make the box better is if it had a pocket or belt clip to keep it on me without having to try to stick it in a pocket or something.

It can be used as a BT speaker phone kind of device (assuming you have headphones or whatever plugged in to hear your friend). It works, but quality is a little... chintzy. It sounds OK, and I'm picked up OK, but quality is a lot better directly on the phone. If this is your desired use case, I would look for another device.

The other thing I would like to see is audio controls on the box. It would be nice to be able to control the volume, and playback of music, directly from the RX41. As it stands, you will have to have your phone or whatever on you when listening to switch tracks and control volume. Slightly disappointing but not enough to really have me not recommend it to someone. If you need that level of control, I would look elsewhere.

In the end, the build quality is just OK, but capability is good. Sound quality isn't bad. I would just like a belt clip and audio controls to make this 5 stars.

Sample provided for review.

GOgroove Rugged IPX4 Water Resistant Bluetooth Shower Speaker with Silicone Protection - Works With Apple iPhone 6 , Samsung Galaxy S6 , LG G4 and More
Offered by 2nd Street Electronics
Price: $34.99
5 used & new from $31.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good at reasonable levels, IPX4 water resistance, July 4, 2015
This speaker is built well, mostly, and sounds quite good for the price. IPX4 means you it can withstand "Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect." This means that while you may not want to take it into the pool with you, you can definitely have it out in the rain or maybe in the shower if you really want it.

My only issue is a minor one, but an issue just the same. Overall, the quality feels really good. The problem is the volume knob. I like the idea of the knob controlling volume, and it works. The problem is that it is surprisingly easy to just pull the knob off of the speaker. It's not a problem to put it back on, of course, it just a touch of "what were they thinking" to an otherwise well thought out package.

Sound quality, from a speaker of this size, is good. At full volume, I think the highs are a touch too harsh. At reasonable levels though, the sound quality is quite nice. Bass is well defined and the mids are clear. Other than the harshness in the highs at max volume, this is more than acceptable to my ears.

Volume control is a little weird. As mentioned, you have the volume knob. This is physical volume, not attached to the output of your chosen device. Then you have device volume, which you can control via the Next/Previous track buttons by holding the button down. I like this as the knob gives super fast control while the prev/next buttons are better for finer control at the device level. Good stuff.

Build quality is quite good as well, other than the volume knob. The rubberized protection does a good job of shielding this from bumps along the trail.

Pairing is simple. Open the rubberized compartment (be sure to close it if you want to ensure IPX4 water resistance) and power it on with the switch. As soon as it powers on, it goes into pairing mode. Enable BT on your phone, computer, tablet or other device and connect to BLUESYNC RGD. Once paired, you should have music capability and also speakerphone capability from the RGD. If you are prompted for a PIN (I was not on my Lumia 1020, my work iPhone 5s, or my Surface Pro 3), it should be 0000.

Speakerphone quality is OK. My chat partners mentioned a bit of added noise to a call, but nothing completely unexpected from a speakerphone call.

Charge time is a touch over 2 hours (box says 2 hours, I think it was more like 2.5 but only tested it unscientifically 3 times before I stopped caring). Playback, at higher volumes I used the speaker at, was more like 6.5 instead of the rated 8 hours. At reasonable levels, I would think 8 hours is reasonable for an expectation.

You can use this via BT or with 3.5mm input. If you use 3.5 mm input, realize you are compromising the IPX4 certified protection because you are leaving the bottom open. And you would want to ensure your plugged in device was IPX4 certified as well if that is important to you.

This speaker sounds good at reasonable volume levels, offers OK speakerphone capability, is IPC4 certified, and feels very well built, other than the volume knob. Definitely worth keeping this open as an option if you are on the market for a new BT speaker.

Sample provided.