Profile for goaggiesgo > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

goaggiesgo RSS Feed (Plano, TX)

The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words
The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words
by Peter E. Meltzer
32 used & new from $2.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes hit or miss, but the hits are fantastic, March 29, 2006
I agree with the reviews below which said that this thesaurus doesn't work quite as well as a stand-alone reference work because it was not uncommon for certain of the "look-up words" not to be found in this book (though not often). However, that is easily compensated for by the fact that when I did find an applicable entry in this book, it was inevitably a much better and "cooler" word than anything I could find in my present thesaurus (Roget's). It also helped me to expand my vocabulary by teaching and giving examples of words which my thesaurus doesn't contain. On balance, I found that the success rate was more than enough for me to recommend this book to anyone who really enjoys words and who wants more from a thesaurus than simply to be reminded of old words. The Introduction also presented a persuasive case for why the words in this book are "real" (as the author says) and should be used more often.