Profile for J. R. Heath > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. R. Heath RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

NHL 2K9 - Nintendo Wii
NHL 2K9 - Nintendo Wii
Offered by MPSSTORE
Price: $28.99
51 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Free-flowing Gameplay Overshadows Minor Flaws, December 21, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As the first NHL hockey game for the Wii, I think NHL 2K9 stacks up pretty well. The graphics are well-balanced - enough detail for the eyes, but not too much for the Wii to handle. The big thought on my mind after seeing the commercials, however, was how well the Wiimote would simulate a hockey stick. When it comes to shooting, it does a good job - passing and stickhandling are controlled with the buttons (though you don't need to use the button to stickhandle). Skating with the nunchuck's control stick is probably the best and most realistic I've tried - with your forwards you can really carve circles around the defenders to find room for a shot. When you have the puck, you can shake the nunchuck for a 'signature' move that, at least for the Washington Capitals, is pretty accurate (just wait to use it until you are right in front of the defenseman). Another nice aspect is that you can trip/hook by swinging the Wiimote and check by swinging the nunchuck, which make fighting for the puck against the boards feel pretty real. Passing is a little complicated if it's anything more than just to the next man - the box claims you can set up string passes, but I haven't figured this out. I also have not figured out how to win faceoffs. My only other complaint is the about goalie controls - you can press the '1' button on the Wiimote to switch to the goalie with a goalie-cam view, and you have to point the remote so that the goalie is square with the attacker - it's a little sensitive and probably only useful on breakaways. In general, though, the game is not too complicated, flows well, and feels like a really interactive arcade game. You'll probably fail miserably your first couple games and then get a feel for the controls. Most important, you could play (and win!) an entire game with only pressing the A button (pass) and B button (slapshot). In this way, NHL 2k9 leverages the Wii's intuitive controls to make the game more about just playing rather than memorizing button combinations. I'm interested to see how EA's NHL 09 is for the Wii, but could not wait forever.

A Hedonist's Guide to Almaty and Astana
A Hedonist's Guide to Almaty and Astana
by Summer Coish
53 used & new from $0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Young People, August 24, 2008
This is an indispensable guide to all the great restaurants, bars, and clubs in Almaty (I didn't travel to Astana). The information was accurate 99% of the time (there are online updates anyway) and the locals were blown away at my knowledge, which often exceeded their own.

Apples Are from Kazakhstan: The Land that Disappeared
Apples Are from Kazakhstan: The Land that Disappeared
by Christopher Robbins
41 used & new from $0.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Intro, August 24, 2008
I found out I was going to Almaty for a month only a few days before I left. I frantically searched for 'Kazakhstan' in Amazon and had this book overnighted. This book is an excellent introduction to the country and seems to accurately capture the gestalt of what Kazakhstan is. The writing is very good and the stories are always compelling. Though at times Robbins focuses too much on the Soviet past, this is to some extent necessary for understanding the country's current situation and mindset. I highly recommend this book.

Emanuel Law Outlines: Payment Systems
Emanuel Law Outlines: Payment Systems
by Lary Lawrence
31 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless Outline, November 21, 2007
Okay, so I am a 2L and have used the Emanuel series of outlines [with success] since my first year. As you probably know, the most important aspect of an outline is that it matches up with your textbook. Well, in this case, Emanuel messes up big time with its 'Casebook Correlation Chart'. The correlation is in fact not very close and the organization is COMPLETELY different. This has made using the outline impossible. The casebook I'm using is the Warren/Walt casebook. If this is your textbook, DO NOT buy this outline!

Logitech MX Air Rechargeable Cordless Air Mouse
Logitech MX Air Rechargeable Cordless Air Mouse
Offered by IsaacTronics
Price: $325.00
11 used & new from $114.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome mouse!, October 3, 2007
I give the MX Air 4 out of 5 stars because it works just as well as I expected - and I had high expectations based on all the hype surrounding its release.

Distance - works from at least 30 feet
Control - very responsive, plus you can tweak the settings to a sensitivity level you prefer; also works great as a standard laser tabletop mouse; I was a little skeptical based on other gyroscopic mice I had used in the past, but the various videos on YouTube gave me hope - my hope was realized
Design - this is a beautiful mouse, though it does attract fingerprints easily, which I think another reviewer mentioned
Price - so maybe it's a little expensive for a mouse, but you have to keep in mind that it not only looks great, but also does something unique very well. Thus, I think the price is fair

Blow the House Down: A Novel
Blow the House Down: A Novel
by Robert Baer
258 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, couldn't put it down, June 22, 2006
If you enjoyed Baer's narrative style from See No Evil and Sleeping with the Devil, I highly recommend this book. If you are looking for a great, impossible-to-put-down political thriller, I highly recommend this book. Baer picks up all the loose ends that the 9/11 Commission ignored or dismissed and paints an alternative history of WHY 9/11 happened, not WHAT happened (i.e. he doesn't say that the WTC fell due to a controlled demolition or that the Pentagon was hit by a missile). Whether you consider Baer's explanation to be plausible or not, the book highlights the lack of understanding we still have about that day and the actors involved and their motives. Furthermore, the use of real people, companies, and places (especially DC) lends an additional richness to the book.