Profile for Springfever > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Springfever RSS Feed

Sun On Fire
Sun On Fire
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Icelandic Mystery Author to follow, November 16, 2014
This review is from: Sun On Fire (Kindle Edition)
Sun on Fire is an entertaining police procedural. The detectives are a bit quirky - accident-prone Gunnar, chain smoking Anna and runner Birkir, who seem to have a good team working relationship while also following leads independently. Aside from the “hook” in the first chapter, the beginning of the book is a bit slow moving, but once they get to Iceland the pace picks up. This is the first Infolfsson book I have read, and I will read more of them.
I am drawn to Nordic mysteries as I enjoy learning about other countries – the landscape, people, culture, customs... Some authors are especially good at creating an atmosphere with the descriptions of the setting. This book, not so much. The first third of the story takes place at the Nordic Embassies in Berlin (Icelandic Embassy, specifically), the rest of the book in Iceland. While the descriptions of the Embassy are very detailed, I don't get a similar feel for Iceland. Disclosure: I received this book as a Good Reads Giveaway and Amazon Crossing.

The Knitter's Companion Deluxe Edition w/DVD
The Knitter's Companion Deluxe Edition w/DVD
by Vicki Square
Edition: Hardcover-spiral
Price: $20.40
54 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, April 22, 2014
As a beginning learner this book has been a great resource for learning what I didn't learn in my class, or to remind me of what I forgot or didn't quite master in class. Good diagrams of techniques, nice DVD instruction.

How to Speak German in 90 Days: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners
How to Speak German in 90 Days: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great supplement to taking an adult education class, April 22, 2014
There are no classes after a beginner German class at our high school evening classes, so I bought this book. It has been useful for keeping up my practice - a concept , like grammar, is presented, or a short list of vocabulary words or verbs each day to practice/learn, making study manageable. It is too much to learn in 90 days - this is a downside, but where I have taken a beginners class, there is enough overlap ( for me) where it is not too overwhelming to actually try to proceed through it day by day. The other downside, and this is true for any book based studying - is my pronunciation correct? I would definitely use this book to supplement a class.

The Weeping Girl
The Weeping Girl
by Håkan Nesser
43 used & new from $5.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read; not as good as his previous books, January 28, 2014
This review is from: The Weeping Girl (Paperback)
(The following does not contain a spoiler - it is part of the book summary). The story kept me interested - I wanted to find out what happened that resulted in the fathers institutionalization (rather than jail)? While it was somewhat clear to me what happened, it didn't take away from the book - making it somewhat of a psychological thriller/mystery. What I didn't like as it didn't add to the story - the police informers "information" and the pages taken to follow up on it (I don't want to include any hint of spoiler, so I'm not mentioning the issue here). While I prefer the writing of the camaraderie between Ewa and her colleagues in previous books, there was an interesting mix of characters and interactions in this book (making it a good standalone read as well).

iRef Guides: German Grammar
iRef Guides: German Grammar
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little e-book for German Grammar, January 8, 2014
Great value for the money and very helpful for my study of the German language. I am using it to supplement my community adult ed. beginner German class. This is a great resource for German grammar presented in a structured way (charts - for ex. listing the nominative, genitive, accusative, and dative cases) and with examples (sentences).

The Atria International Book of Mysteries: Your Passport to a World of Murder and Mayhem
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Selection of Mysteries to Preview, December 14, 2013
This free book provides a good selection of books from different authors around the world to preview (first chapter). If you like the style of writing and/or are interested in the mystery, you can buy the book. I have read several of the books included after reading the previews (some I had already read). It also introduced me to authors I was not familiar with.

Römertopf® 11905 Universal Casserole Rustico for 4 People
Römertopf® 11905 Universal Casserole Rustico for 4 People
Offered by CANGURO
Price: $49.99
5 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favorite Kitchen Appliance, March 19, 2013
Delivery was very quick (exceeding expectations as it was delivered prior to estimated date).
I have made a few roast chicken recipes and a turkey breast - all moist and delicious. The Romertopf keeps in the moisture. Easy to adapt non-clay baker recipes by increasing the time about 15 minutes and temp. about 50 degrees.

Knitting needle Roll CASE BrilliantKnitting (BR brand) (three layers, only red color available now)
Offered by Excel Craft
Price: $24.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and useful knitting needle roll case, December 26, 2012
This pretty case fits all of my needles perfectly with room to spare. It is long enough to hold my longer needles as well as several shorter crochet hooks. It rolls up nicely and the needles stay in the roll.

EMU Australia Women's Talinga Slipper,Chocolate,5 M US
EMU Australia Women's Talinga Slipper,Chocolate,5 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, perfect slippers for winter, March 12, 2012
These slippers are perfect for the cold winter months (I usually have to wear socks w/slippers, these, I don't). The fit is exactly right, they are warm and cozy. I also like that the bottom of the slipper is sturdy enough to wear outside to get the Sunday morning paper.