Profile for J. B. Menager > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. B. Menager RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
CE Compass Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse PC Remote Control
CE Compass Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse PC Remote Control
Offered by Shield Distribution
Price: $24.95
3 used & new from $22.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Only ok, March 20, 2014
The remote works. Doesn't fully support Win8, but I knew that going in. I'm a little disappointed with the remote because of what basically amount to poor design choices, e.g.: no reference points on the J and F keys (makes it hard to type without looking at the remote itself), no Start key, no backlighting or fluorescence--just a litany of little things.

SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB UHS-I/ U3 Micro SDXC Memory Card Up To 80MB/s With Adapter, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDSDQX-064G-AFFP-A (Label May Change)
Price: $62.95
3 used & new from $58.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty fast card, but mine seems defective, March 20, 2014
This is the fastest and highest performing SD card I have ever used. However, I did not rate it five stars because every once in a while it somehow disconnects from my Surface Pro2's SD drive while still physically being in the slot. My old SD card never had that problem, so I'm guessing this must be a quality control issue.

Other than that, the card works really well. I use it as an alternate installation directory for my steam games, and I haven't noticed any performance issues as a result of running the games from the SD card.

Align 325 Carbon Rotor Blade
Align 325 Carbon Rotor Blade
Offered by CT Motorsports, LLC
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, weighty blades for 450-sized helis, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Align 325 Carbon Rotor Blade (Toy)
First, I'd like to start by saying that when reviewers are complaining about the blades not being 100% solid through-and-through they are actually complaining about the fact that the blades are built partially like a plane's wing--each blade has ribbed sections. I imagine, this design choice was made to cut weight because these blades are pretty dense and heavy. They're the heaviest blades I've put on my Axe 400, and I think they work well. They sustain a lot of torque, kind of like a flywheel. I've flown the Axe 400 only once since installing the blades, so I'm not sure if I'm quite sold yet on using heavier blades. Time will tell. So far, no complaints.

The blades were perfectly balanced right out of the box, so that was nice. My rotor head was a little off when I installed them, but doing the tracking adjustment was pretty easy with this set of blades. Some people think the blades feel cheap, but I think that, for the price, they feel about right. I don't get the impression that the blades are of poor quality, but they don't feel top-of-the-line either.

Overall, I think they're good blades and are worth a try.

Universal AC to DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter
Universal AC to DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter
Offered by MobilEmporium
Price: $5.99
14 used & new from $2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as intended, but be sure to read the item description to see if its suitable for your needs, March 1, 2014
This item is a perfect example of why you should read item descriptions carefully before buying. I would like to start by saying that I really wanted to give this converter really low marks due to how underwhelming of a performance this device delivers. However, the product page clearly states that (1) it is intended as a converter for in-car chargers, and as an even clearer message, it lists the fact that (2) the converter only outputs 300mAh.

Can't argue with clearly-disclosed information. That said, I'm of the opinion that this converter is worthless. It can only be used for the purpose of taking an in-car electronics battery charger and adapting that device to indoor use for the standard in-home outlets. Given that virtually all rechargeable electronic devices come with a regular indoor charger, this adapter has a very limited use. Why the manufacturer thought that it would be adequate to design this device with such a low output is beyond me.

Anyway, this device will work great if you happen to be in a situation where you do need a converter for your cigarette lighter charger--and I emphasize the word "charger"--but if you want to convert your wall outlet into a cigarette lighter socket while retaining an output that closely approximates the wall outlet's native output, then this device is not for you. In other words, anything that requires a solid current to actively do something, say a pump, will not work with this.

Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000 Series 32 GB Windows 8.1 Tablet
Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000 Series 32 GB Windows 8.1 Tablet
Offered by Duciespade LLC
Price: $259.97
81 used & new from $95.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, yes, and a yes, February 9, 2014
If you're in the market for a tablet, and you're looking at this one, then just get it. Stop second-guessing yourself, weighing pros and cons, looking for reasons not to buy it, or whatever else. This thing is awesome, and completely worth the price. I will say, though, that 32GB is a little small, so if you intend on having this as your only computer and installing a number of Windows Store apps, I would recommend getting the 64GB version. Also, I'm not sure what's going on with the Dell Active Stylus, but you can either wait until Dell puts them back out, or you can try to get one off the black market comprised of shady internet retail stores no one's ever heard of before. Your choice. Other than that, get yourself a micro USB adapter, a 64GB micro SDXC card, a case and keyboard, a $25 Bluetooth mouse, and go have yourself a ball!

SANOXY® USB 2.0 A to Micro B Female / Male Adaptor
SANOXY® USB 2.0 A to Micro B Female / Male Adaptor
Offered by FishingForDeals
Price: $1.35
32 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as intended, February 9, 2014
The adapter works. I bought it for a Dell Venue 8 Pro to connect regular USB devices to the tablet.

I took off a star to reflect the fact that the adapter, as it is designed and shaped, tends to physically strain the micro USB port on the tablet. When I have things connected through the adapter, I fear that the wrong move might snap off the micro USB port. I bought this adapter because I wanted to eliminate cords, but I see now that this may not have been a good idea. For other uses, though, I am sure that this adapter excels.

Tronsmart T1000 Mirror2TV Wireless Display HDMI Dongle Support Miracast DLNA EZCAST AirPlay Compatible with Android OS / Apple iOS / Samsung AllShare Cast S5 S4 S3 Note2 Note3 Note10.1 / Google Nexus4 Nexus5 Nexus7 / DELL VENUE 8 PRO
2 used & new from $30.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, January 10, 2014
I really wanted to like this product more, but it's only ok. There are three issues that take away from this device: (1) installation instructions and procedure, (2) poor streaming quality, and (3) troubles with windows 7.

Before I begin my criticism, I would like to mention that I was able to get this device to function as intended. Specifically, I mean that I was able to get it to mirror my screen, to act as an extended display, and to stream media files. My results vary by platform, however.

Testing platforms: Msft Surface Pro 2 (Win 8.1), Asus eee Slate (EP121--Win 8.1), Apple iPhone 4s (iOS7), Windows 7 desktop.

Experience on Windows 8.1 Platforms:
All features work on the windows 8.1 platforms using the "low" setting at 1080_32. However, when mirroring to watch on-line videos, the streaming playback would often pause to catch up or would be choppy. This problem was even worse under the "high" setting. In fact, under "high," mirroring was so choppy as to be virtually unusable. Overall though, it works well enough to watch youtube or short clips. For show episodes or movies, I'll probably be sticking to my regular HDMI cable.

The real issue with the windows 8.1 is the installation/pairing directions and procedures. In fact, to date, I am still unsure I've done it completely right. I have it to where it works fine, so I won't touch the settings anymore. It's a little hard to describe but there are apparently two ways to mirror a windows OS screen through the Tronsmart. One way is by using the "EZMirror" function which does some kind of complicated device pairing (but allows the user to control the screen through the devices charm on windows 8.1). Another way is to set the Tronsmart at 1080p and pushing the yellow "mirror/off" button (which does not let the windows 8.1 computer recognize that it is connected to another display). However, this method is very quick and simple for mirroring, so I tend to use it the most--even though it requires me to stay on the Tronsmart network. When the Tronsmart was set below 1080p, pushing the "mirror/off" button from my Surface Pro 2 only lowered the computer's screen resolution and it did nothing to the TV screen. No mirroring, nothing. So, I concluded that for that method to work, the Tronsmart needed to be at the same or higher resolution as my Surface. This general rule of thumb seems to work on all windows devices.

Overall, on Windows 8.1, pairing the Tronsmart with a computer can be a challenge, and once that works, the quality is just ok. Works for messing around on the web, and watching short youtube clips. I haven't tried streaming a full movie using the file streaming method (as opposed to mirroring), so I can't speak to that, but based on the shorter files I have streamed, the quality should be better, there.

Experience on iOS 7:
If it wasn't for the iOS app, I may have never figured out how to get the Tronsmart hooked up to my computers. The instructions there are simple enough, make more sense, and generally produce the right result. I get the feeling that three different teams worked on the instructions for the Tronsmart: (1) the print manual team, (2) the online manual team, and (3) the iOS app team. All three manuals are different enough to be frustrating.

Anyway, on iOS, the app does a decent job guiding the user through the steps. I don't think mirroring is supported, however. It's a little confusing getting files to stream, as the buttons for video and music just open up some kind of empty camera roll, but it didn't take me long to figure out that I needed to be using AirPlay. The real downside of the app, however is that it crashes, and there is no high/low setting, so streaming music to the television can be a very grating experience. It stutters a lot and pauses, same issues as with Windows 8.1, but worse (due to the lack of high/low options).

Experience on Windows 7 Desktop:
Having already struggled through Windows 8.1 and iOS 7, I had no trouble casting to the Tronsmart with my Windows 7 desktop. Additionally, the Windows 7 process was simpler. The "Mirror/off" button has more functions in Windows 7, such that I didn't have to use the OS to switch display types from mirror to extended or off. That button does all that now. Also, I don't recall having to go through a pairing procedure. Ostensibly, the Windows 7 application was working well (still same quality issues as above, but much less of a burden when casting). However, I ended up uninstalling it and doing a system restore because it locked my PC in a windows 7 basic color scheme and created other display issues, such as blacking out my printouts to OneNote. This is a custom-built gaming PC, and it has plenty of horsepower to run anything; I don't understand why the application forced a windows 7 basic color scheme which subsequently got irreversibly stuck and messed up other display-related tasks. To date, I have not reinstalled the Windows 7 EZCast application.

Overall, I am a little disappointed in the product. I am not sure if the quality issues are attributable to the current state of casting technology or if they are specific to the T1000, but what really bothers me are the instructions and the procedures for mirroring a screen. That took me hours to figure out when it should have properly taken just a few minutes.

The Tronsmart is a fun novelty product, and isn't expensive, so it might be worth a buy. As for me, given the chance to start over, I am not sure I would make that purchase again. I'd rather wait until the technology gets closer to the performance of an actual HDMI cable.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2014 9:01 AM PST

C&E Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter for Apple MacBook Pro, Air, Mac mini and iMac with Audio Support for New Apple PC
Offered by KIKI MALL (Shipping From HongKong)
Price: $4.37
13 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ships by sea mule, but it's definitely worth the wait, November 23, 2013
Snapped this up for my Surface Pro 2, and it does a fantastic job. Took a while to get to me, though; but I can't complain about free shipping. Not to mention that, alternatively, I would've had to purchase the adapter on the Microsoft store, and it's is pretty expensive there.

Shimano SPD Sealed Bearing Road Pedals Wellgo,Silver
Shimano SPD Sealed Bearing Road Pedals Wellgo,Silver
Price: $34.01
6 used & new from $26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for riders new to "clips", August 10, 2013
For about 30 bucks cheaper than the cheapest pedals of this type at my local bike shop, this was a fantastic deal! I had been holding off on getting "clips" for a while and I am glad I went with these.

The pricing was right because I wouldn't feel bad about setting them aside if I ended up not liking the experience. But, turns out that I love it!

These pedals engage pretty easily, and once they're on, they stay on (even with some hard pulling on steep hills). They are pretty comfortable, too, and I lowered the clipping tension, so I can disengage at a moment's notice (thank God, cuz I've had a few close calls running into curbs).

Because the pedals are one-sided, getting back into them can be a little challenging, so I took off a star for that--but that's only minor. They are shaped in such a way that using regular shoes over the pedals is only minimally awkward. That's great news for me because I sometimes use my road bike to ride to class (which is why I retained cages for so long). I won't have to switch them back out for cages when school starts up soon.

Overall: a great buy. Wish I could've gotten double-sided pedals for that price, but beggars can't be choosers.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2014 1:53 PM PDT

JR Hex Nuts, 2mm (10)
JR Hex Nuts, 2mm (10)
Offered by Primo Super-store
Price: $6.42

5.0 out of 5 stars They're Nuts; They Work., October 23, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: JR Hex Nuts, 2mm (10) (Toy)
Not much to say here. I needed 2mm nuts; I bought 2mm nuts; I used 2mm nuts. The nuts worked - purpose served.

Page: 1 | 2