Profile for LFNYC > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 75

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

LFNYC RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Electronic Grand Piano w/ microphone and more
Electronic Grand Piano w/ microphone and more
Offered by CPToys
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toddler instrument., December 20, 2014
I had this sent directly to my little nephew who is just turning 2, so I didn't see or hear it myself...but his parents just sent a video of the little guy opening and playing his new instrument..its just the right size and he loves it! It's not a Steinway grand, but it sounded fine on the audio, and we'll be pleased if lasts for a year or so when he'll be ready for 88 keys.

We chose this alternative as opposed to a table top digital keyboard because of the 'fun' factor: it's looks like the real piano at his grandparents' house. And there is no way that a kiddie sized accoustic 'upright' will sound much better than an electronic...at a higher price. Our only concern was that this thing (as all electronic devices) would work out of the box, and it did. His father said it assembled easily with no problems.

Mayfield 200 Thread Count Cotton Blend Sofa Bed Sheet Set Queen 60" X 72" Seashell
Offered by Custom Linens Direct
Price: $59.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, September 29, 2014
I bought a set of hunter green sofa bed sheets many years ago, and they are literally worn through and I've been looking to replace them. It is very difficult to find special colors for sofa bed sizes, so I was thrilled to find this supplier on Amazon who offered them at a reasonable price.
First the good news: the color is nice, and the elastic on the fitted sheet goes all the way around...not just the corners. After washing, they don't wrinkle if you take them out of the dryer right away.
Now the bad; I have 200 thread count cotton/poly sheets that have a much better hand than these. These are supposed to have a 'satin' feel? Out of the package, they have a scratchy feel like the cheap Halloween costumes that Woolworths used to sell in the 60's. I washed them and it didn't make that much of a difference.
These are OK for kids (who can sleep on anything) or occasional guests ...if you don't want them to get that comfortable.

Grand Piano
Grand Piano
DVD
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dumb, dumber, dumbest, August 17, 2014
This review is from: Grand Piano (Amazon Instant Video)
This has to be the silliest movie I've been suckered into watching to the very end...only because my husband is a classical pianist and wanted to watch the credits to see who did the piano playing... Even that was a disappointment because the 11 (count 'em) minutes of credits, except for the stars, were too small to be readable.

I want my hour and twenty minutes back...read the other one star reviews for more specifics.

The Way We Live Now (Wordsworth Classics)
The Way We Live Now (Wordsworth Classics)
by John Sutherland
Price: $5.95
82 used & new from $0.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, June 29, 2014
I have to ask the same question as the first reviewer...Why has anyone who has taken an English Lit course been assigned a Dickens novel but not a work of Anthony Trollope? Further more, I think The Way We Live Now should be considered an iconic example of Victorian era feminist literature...every bit as much as the works of Jane Austin, George Elliott, or Edith Wharton.

No, it is not a fast read, but you really don't want it to be because the writing is so elegant and the characters so rich. This is not just a book about financial chicanery, but one about the morals, morees and values of the time. It involves not only 19th century English classism, the unfairness of the laws of primogeniture and overt anti-Semitism, but illustrates the reality that even though Americans shared a language and a common heritage with the Brits, they represented new attitudes about the afore mentioned issues that will become more apparent at the turn of the new century.

Mr. Coffee DW13 12-Cup Switch Coffeemaker, Black
Mr. Coffee DW13 12-Cup Switch Coffeemaker, Black
Offered by toolboxsupply
Price: $23.96
18 used & new from $14.00

3.0 out of 5 stars the price is right, May 15, 2014
As other reviewers have said, this thing has no frills, but makes an excellent cup of coffee. I decided to buy the DW to replace the previous version (the SK Series) of the same model that was purchased only 10 months ago from a local store (at a higher cost). It just stopped working...no heat, no water, no brewing (I use distilled water, so its not a matter of slow brewing due to mineral build-up). Again, other similar complaints. So why give the same model a second chance?

After perusing Amazon reviews, It seems that ALL drip-type coffee machines are subject to complaints about the motor/ heating/pump element fizzing out...its just a matter of when. And the warrantees are useless. It costs more to ship the thing back and forth for service to an 'authorized dealer'. So the question is, do you want to replace a $50-$150 device, or a $16 device that performs the same basic function just as well if not better? Hopefully, we'll get at least a year of good coffee out of the inexpensive DW.

No Joke: Making Jewish Humor (Library of Jewish Ideas)
No Joke: Making Jewish Humor (Library of Jewish Ideas)
by Ruth R. Wisse
Price: $19.32
76 used & new from $2.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Yiddish&Hebrew, best read from right to left, May 10, 2014
In other words, start at the end; The concluding chapter encompasses the important issues of the book, as well as the more comtemporary examples of Jewish humor without going through a lot of pages that can be (as other reviewers have indicated) the literary equivilant of watching paint dry (especially the section on Sephardic- Israeli humor). If you are still interested, go back to the beginning and read through to better understand the roots of an important componant of the Jewish experience that has been neglected in other history books.

If not, by reading the 'Conclusion' you will have captured the essence of where Jewish humor came from (from the shtetels of post enlightenment Europe to the borsht belt), where it is now (Seinfeld and Larry David) and a warning of where it might be going in the future (with a brief,reluctant nod to the politically correct clap-trap of Sarah Silverman).

Lifter 1 Auto Carpet Stain Remover 18 Oz.
Lifter 1 Auto Carpet Stain Remover 18 Oz.
Offered by Life and Home
Price: $4.15
2 used & new from $4.15

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Solution for carpet, upholstery and clothing, too, March 26, 2014
A house guest sat on an upholstered broadcloth chair (the kind of fabric that shows everything) in swim trunks after slathering his legs with coconut oil resulting in huge, dark grease spots. I did all the usual things: put cornstarch on stains immediately, followed by Dawn dish detergent, followed by Woolite upholstery cleaner. I would say it made a 50% improvement, but the grease marks were still quite apparent. Then I remembered the stuff I used years ago to clean cat barf off the carpet ...Lifter-1 and figured I would try it on the grease stains...it couldn't make them any worse. I would say it was a 99% improvement. The stains are no longer apparent. It works just as well on upholstery as it did on carpet without leaving shadow marks.

Subsequently, I've tried it on clothing stains with similar, excellent results: A cotton/spandex blend white t-shirt with a make-up stain that bleach didn't touch, a blood stain on a pair of (expensive)cotton twill pants that other 0xyclean type products didn't work on at all. Lifter got the stains out 99%...if you are looking closely for a faint shadow, there is one, but the garments are wearable again. Most importantly, no rings from the product itself!

No more wasting money on Oxyclean and Gonzo type products. This is the only stain remover in my cabinet.

FELINE GREENIES PILL POCKETS Treats - Chicken Flavor - 1.6 oz. (45 g)
FELINE GREENIES PILL POCKETS Treats - Chicken Flavor - 1.6 oz. (45 g)
Price: $4.89
52 used & new from $1.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality change alert, March 2, 2014
This is my second PPocket review...the first was 5 stars dating back to 2007. Judging from the most recent 2013/2014 purchases (both at my pet food store and from Amazon) I would give it 2.5 if i could. Here is why: As other recent posts have indicated, the quality has changed: They are not as malleable as they used to be. They crumble when you apply the necessary pressure to pack in the pill. I had to use a drop of water and a lot more dexterity accomplish the task. AND...I put my cat's med in a little gel cap before wrapping them in the Pill Pocket. There is no way that these would work on a vile tasting anti-biotic without that additional barrier.

The reason for an above one star rating is that my cat still LOVES them...she knows when 9:30(pill time) AM rolls around. Although the application more difficult, its still better than the manual pilling alternatives.

I do hope that Greenies is getting enough complaints to go back to whatever was in their old formula.

Aristocrats
Aristocrats
DVD ~ Serena Gordon

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost me at episode 3, January 20, 2014
This review is from: Aristocrats (DVD)
I'm a big fan of 70's-80's BBC historic serial productions...some of the best TV ever includes Six Wives, Eliz R, Shadow of the Tower, First Churchills, Edward the King, Lillie, Disraeli, and Fall of Eagles. Not to mention adaptations of fictional works like I Claudius, Anna Karinina, Crime and Punishment, War and Peace, Brideshead Revisited, and of course the sui generis Upstairs,Downstairs.

But something happened in the 1990's to this genre. As film technology became more sophisticated, other elements seem to have fallen short. This was the case with the Aristocrats: Beautiful costumes, sets, and other production values. There is nothing wrong with the acting, but I just lost interest halfway through. Why? Perhaps the plot seemed spread over too many characters without the depth necessary to connect them to the historical period they represented.

Why 3 stars? Because compared the the low bar set over the last 10 years by pay-tv efforts (HBO and Showtime must figure that their audience has to be given a liberal dose of graphic sex, nudity, and violence served with history for their money), it is still relatively good family viewing.

BUFFALO MiniStation 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (HD-PCF500U3B)
BUFFALO MiniStation 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (HD-PCF500U3B)
Price: Click here to see our price
48 used & new from $45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far, so good, January 19, 2014
I've been using the drive for couple months to tranfer files from laptop to desktop (both Win7) on a daily basis with no problems. I am a little concerned about the negative reviews, so I'll change this rating if something goes wrong.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8