Profile for benh7777 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

benh7777 RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany
by Donald L. Miller
Price: $15.42
109 used & new from $2.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Masters of the Air, March 16, 2011
I thought this was a very good book, though long, it never was boring. If you crave the stories of the men who flew in B-17s and B-24s then this is a must read. If you are afraid of a thick long book then you might be discouraged a bit at first, but once you're into it you will enjoy it to the end.

Bringing the Thunder: The Missions of a World War II B-29 Pilot in the Pacific (Stackpole Military History Series)
by Gordon Bennett Robertson
Price: $16.95
62 used & new from $3.77

4.0 out of 5 stars B-29s over Japan, March 16, 2011
With this book I finally found a readable book about the B-29s campaigns over Japan. This was written mainly on the memories of Robertson who completed 35 missions in a B-29 over Japan. With better fighters, a better or at least more advanced bomber, lesser competition, and learned lessons, these stories may not be as harrowing as some of the ones over Germany. But definitely interesting and enjoyable to read. Worth the purchase and read.

Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
Thunder Below!: The USS *Barb* Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II
by Eugene B. Fluckey
Price: $16.39
109 used & new from $4.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 16, 2011
What a great book. Everyone would like this book even if you aren't into WWII history. The stories of each mission keeps you entertained and makes it difficult to put your bookmark in and go to sleep. You feel as if you are on the USS Barb working under Fluckey. This is definitely one of the best books I have ever read

Seven Roads to Hell: A Screaming Eagle at Bastogne
Seven Roads to Hell: A Screaming Eagle at Bastogne
by Donald R. Burgett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
68 used & new from $2.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, March 16, 2011
I thought this was a great book. Easy to read. It doesn't go into great detail, but as if burgett is personally telling you his story. One of the few good first person account books of WWII.

Prisoners of the Japanese: POWs of World War II in the Pacific
Prisoners of the Japanese: POWs of World War II in the Pacific
by Gavan Daws
Price: $15.78
143 used & new from $0.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent work on the terrible atrocities, March 16, 2011
I always wished my grandfather would tell stories of his time in a japanese prison camp growing up, nobody really knew or knows what he endured but him. I could never understand why he wouldn't speak a word of it if just a little. Of course you hear about how terrible the japanese treated their prisoners, of physical and mental torture, and obviously knew it was too difficult for him to even think about that time in his life, and I find it too hard to try and ask. He was captured after the battle of Wake Island and was in a prison camp from start to finish of the war, that is all I know.

I had bought this book about a year ago but for whatever reason didn't read it until after one day I had to take my grandfather to the doctor for some sort of checkup, they removed his shirt and I couldn't help but notice several different scars on his back, sides, and chest. The nurse asked about a particular scar, I could tell that the memory hit him, as he paused, and then simply replied "I was a prisoner of war".

Remembering I had this book, that night I started to read it. Every American should read this book. Well written and researched. The things the japanese did to their prisoners should not have been swept under the carpet. I found myself nearly in tears at times from their treatment, sometimes in laughter from the stories of the prisoners how they kept their head. Sometimes I wanted to just put the book down and stop reading it because I couldn't believe how terrible their life was.

I'm glad I read this book, and now completely understand why my grandfather won't speak of those few but long years of his life. Has my Grandfather forgiven the japanese soldiers? I don't know, he never speaks hatefully of any japanese, but I know he has never forgotten what those soldiers did to him and his fellow POW's.

I am proud of my grandpa, that he somehow survived, and to not tell about it. And thanks to Gavin Daws for writing this book and shedding light on a shadowed subject. I can live without knowing, and now understand what he went through.

Islands of the Damned: A Marine at War in the Pacific
Islands of the Damned: A Marine at War in the Pacific
by R. V. Burgin
18 used & new from $7.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Burgin, March 16, 2011
Thanks to R.V. Burgin. Soon all of our witnesses of WWII will be gone and with them these stories. This book is easy to read, fast and short. Just a different look and experience being told by a different witness but very worth the read. Not boring at all, intense and keeps you from putting the book down. Doesn't go into great detail, more like just sitting there listening to Burgin tell you the story personally which is what makes this book so good.

Wake Island Pilot: A World War II Memoir (Memories of War)
Wake Island Pilot: A World War II Memoir (Memories of War)
by John F. Kinney
Price: $8.06
26 used & new from $3.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, December 6, 2010
Well written, very interesting book. I have read several books on Wake Island, in most if not all you learn a little about John Kinney, but this book is his own story. From his pre Wake days to his escape from prison camp and later life. I highly reccomend reading this book. Not as detailed as most Wake books about events that occurred but mostly of what he himself witnessed and endured on Wake and as a POW. Without Kinney the defense of Wake would not have lasted nearly as long, he kept our planes in the air by his great mechanical skills. Truely a great American hero.

Wings Of Morning: The Story Of The Last American Bomber Shot Down Over Germany In World War II
by Thomas Childers
Price: $13.77
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, November 10, 2010
Wow, what a great book. Childers did a great job writing this true story from letters sent to and from home. I felt as though I was part of the crew all the way through the book. Even if you aren't a war history buff you would like this book. A movie should be made of this story. Thank you Childers for sharing this story and all the research to find the facts. The Farrington crew were true American heroes.

Given Up for Dead: America's Heroic Stand at Wake Island
Given Up for Dead: America's Heroic Stand at Wake Island
by Bill Sloan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
80 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "Best damn Wake Island book I've ever read", November 9, 2010
The title quote is from my grandfather after he read this book.

I've read several Wake Island books. They are of great interest to me since my Grandfather was a civilian construction worker there and was taken pow in labor camps in china till the end of the war. He is still alive and well today however he never speaks of his time on wake or as prisoner and I find it difficult to try and ask about it, as it is clear that it bothers him deeply still today. So, I read up on anything Wake Island related to find out what he saw and experienced.

Once you read 2 or 3 books on the subject, they all seem to have the same info and scenerios, however this book had several new first hand accounts and experiences from survivors that really kept me interested in the story. Very well written and researched. Even though I have the events and what happens when and so on memorized from reading so much on wake, this book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way.

The book mostly covers the heroic stand on wake by the marines and some civilians, very little about their captivity after the surrender. Given Up For Dead is a must have for any WWII or military story fans. This is a piece of American history that has been lost, this book does an excellent job of recovering it.

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
by E. B. Sledge
Price: $9.04
263 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely one of the best ever, November 9, 2010
Somehow I never read this book in the past even though I had always heard of how good it was. After watching HBO's mini series The Pacific I decided it was time to finally purchase this book. Definitely one of if not the best book ever written about WWII. Sledge along with the rest of his fellow soldiers are true American heroes, this is their story and what they saw and experienced. Keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire book.

Page: 1 | 2