Profile for Matthew > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matthew RSS Feed

Dexter-Russell (1376HBR) - 6" Boning Knife - Dexter-Russell Series
Dexter-Russell (1376HBR) - 6" Boning Knife - Dexter-Russell Series
Price: $18.98
6 used & new from $13.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Carbon Steel, February 4, 2012
This seems to be a nice knife, for what it is. The handle is attractive, and it was fairly sharp out of the box. It is, however, stainless steel, not carbon steel as stated in the title and description. If I wanted a stainless steel knife, I would have bought one of the Victorinox knives with a plastic handle so I could run it through the dishwasher. For me, this is sort of the worst of both worlds -- it can't be put in the washer, and it doesn't have the sharpening benefits of carbon steel. That being said, it is very attractive, and it works fine for boning. I would have given 4 stars if I wasn't mislead.

Fox River Fingerless Ragg Glove
Fox River Fingerless Ragg Glove
Price: $11.99 - $23.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Nice, November 28, 2011
I bought these because I have circulation problems and my hands get very cold, which makes it hard to type. They are fairly warm, yet still thin enough to allow typing, so they work well for what I want them for.

The construction quality and fit are both good, and while they are somewhat itchy, this is to be expected for wool and it doesn't bother me. I have some nitpicks though. The ends of the gloves tend to curl up the fingers with use. This doesn't make a huge difference in function, but I find it visually unappealing and it impedes finger motion a little. I've found this can be fixed by sewing with plain thread around the very end of each finger to tighten it. There was also a long loose thread inside each glove (left from the end of the weaving process I think), which I cut shorter with scissors. All in all though, good gloves and very functional.

A final word of warning - don't get them anywhere near velcro. They stick like the Dickens.

Rockport Men's D2N Brogue Wingtip Oxford
Rockport Men's D2N Brogue Wingtip Oxford

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and Attractive, November 28, 2011
I've been complimented on these shoes by a number of people. If you want a classic, somewhat understated wingtip, they are perfect. The two-tone effect is subtle but appealing. They are also quite comfortable, after a couple weeks breaking them in. Both the soles and uppers are thick leather, so they are built to last. There isn't a huge amount of padding, so if you have to stand all day, they probably aren't the best, but the fit is good (soft leather, no sharp edges) and the padding that is there is effective, so for typical office work they are great.

Dickies Men's 2-Pack High Bulk Acrylic Thermal Boot Crew Socks, Grey/Red, 10 13/Shoe Size 6-12
Price: $10.00
3 used & new from $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing Defect, November 28, 2011
I ordered two pairs of these. One pair came in good condition, but a sock in the other pair has a hole near the heel. The hole looks like it is the result of a very loose weave in that particular spot -- the thread is not cut or ripped. The sock still functions ok, though I expect the hole to enlarge with time.

These are definitely warmer than normal socks, though not exceptionally warm. They would be good for typical outdoor work on a cold day. They are quite comfortable, but the material is kind of slick and tends to slide down the ankle (may be inevitable with acrylic).