Profile for G. Boller > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Boller RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Ricoh Aficio Sp C240SF Multifunction Laser Printer
Ricoh Aficio Sp C240SF Multifunction Laser Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars POWER HUNGRY CHAMP, December 27, 2013
The printer is impressive and quickly prints in excellent color and detail. We have it connected to a wireless router and any computer in the home can print to it wireless-ly. Set-up was not too difficult although I would appreciate some more verbal description with my diagram set-up guide. It's heavy so set it up where you may not want to move it again. I plugged in an ethernet patch cable and connected it to the wireless router. I placed the Installation CDROM into each computer and selected the "QUICK NETWORK INSTALL" option to easily install the printer. I also installed the Presto Pagemanager (so that we can edit PDF documents) off of the same disc. Very easy installation for each laptop/PC.

What I was not anticipating was the power draw from this printer. It is causing lights to flicker in the same and adjacent rooms! It may be that our home, built in 1976, has wiring issues or it could be that the 1300watts this thing pulls is affecting our electric bill negatively. A quick search through the manual helped me to set-up the POWER SAVER mode so that it's only on when we're printing, then it goes into "sleep" mode using only 10watts of electricity... that's much better. Here's the manual:
[...]

I was able to easily scan across the network and recommend this unit for busy home or small office environments. I do not use the FAX feature as we have no land-line (most people still have those?).

Muse
Muse
Price: $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars "BEST magazine ever!", September 19, 2012
This review is from: Muse (Magazine)
According to my daughter, this is the BEST magazine EVER. Based on what I've read of the issues we've received so far, I would agree that it's pretty great. The price is a bit high, or so it seems at first, but when I consider all the crap that isn't being peddled to her in its pages, the price is worth it. It's especially worth it when I see the glee on her face that one day each month when the new issue arrives.

Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare Made Easy)
Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare Made Easy)
by William Shakespeare
Price: $6.99
480 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series!, September 18, 2012
This series of Shakespeare books is excellent. Shakespeare can be daunting if you're new to him, but if you can read the modern English first and then read the Elizabethan English after, you get a feel for its rhythm, cadence, and "vibe." After a short while you'll be able to read any Shakespeare play and understand it just fine (though you will still encounter vocabulary that is foreign-- it's good to keep a dictionary handy).

These books (any of them in the series) are a great place to start.

Writing With Skill, Level 1: Student Workbook (The Complete Writer)
Writing With Skill, Level 1: Student Workbook (The Complete Writer)
by Susan Wise Bauer
Price: $21.68
49 used & new from $12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for this book!, September 18, 2012
I have tried it all, it seems. This book is FINALLY the one! Teaching writing to one of my children has been like trying to teach a fish to do tricks--it has been the bane of my homeschooling career thus far. Every other book we've tried has been miserable, with the child just not able to "get" it. This is the one that makes sense to her.
It is clear, systematic, logical in progression, and with steps that get slowly but progressively more complicated (almost like it's tricking your child--"You're learning writing and it's even getting harder without you noticing! Ha!").

Seriously though, if you've struggled with teaching writing or your student has struggled with learning it, give this a try. I think it'll be especially good for kids with engineering-type brains.

*I would recommend this for kids age 11 and up.*
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2014 7:39 AM PDT

Easy Make & Learn Projects: Colonial America: 18 Fun-to-Create Reproducible Models that Bring the Colonial Period to Life
by Donald M. Silver
Price: $10.75
23 used & new from $3.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too involved - great for non-artistic types, September 18, 2012
I really like this book for the same reason another reviewer didn't - it wasn't too artistic. We like to have a few things to do (no one likes to be 100% cerebral all of the time), but neither I nor my kids are really super-creative. Everything we've tried in the past that requires too much thought and/or too many steps from beginning to end has ended up forgotten and abandoned long before it's finished.
If you're the creative type, then this may be too "already done" for you, but if you want something simple then this is just the thing.

Cool2day® Sexy Women Long Natural Wave Hair Party Wig (Black) (Model: Jf010209)
Cool2day® Sexy Women Long Natural Wave Hair Party Wig (Black) (Model: Jf010209)
Offered by Cool2dayINC
Price: $9.69
6 used & new from $9.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Great wig for non-serious use, September 18, 2012
This wig is only a couple dollars more than your average halloween costume shop wig, but FAR superior in quality. The long black waves/curls are very nice and the fit on the head is great. I'm really glad I got this instead of the crummy wigs you usually find sold along with costumes.
Additionally, the wig was very nicely packaged and shipped-- not mangled or distorted at all.

Nataal Premium Stylus for Ipad2, Ipad, Iphone 5, Iphone 4(S) and other capacitive screen devices (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, June 3, 2012
Compared to other stylus that are too short for comfort, this Nataal is a conveniently long option with a great balance of weight and girth.

The Wolf Gift
The Wolf Gift
by Anne Rice
Price: $17.64
109 used & new from $0.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, enjoyable Anne Rice, May 7, 2012
This review is from: The Wolf Gift (Hardcover)
If you like Anne Rice books in general (we all have one or two we just don't like for whatever reason), then go ahead and read this one. There's a good chance you'll enjoy it.

Dirt Devil Accucharge 15.6V Cordless Bagless Stick Vacuum, BD20035RED
Dirt Devil Accucharge 15.6V Cordless Bagless Stick Vacuum, BD20035RED
Price: $59.00
23 used & new from $43.74

2.0 out of 5 stars Would LOVE to use it daily, if it didn't pierce my eardrums..., February 26, 2011
This little vacuum cleaner would be great - it sucks well, is easy to maneuver, stores and recharges easily, and is simple to empty - but the high-pitched squeal it makes is literally painful to my ears.

Since others have said it isn't too loud, I'm scratching my head. The regular machine-like noise it makes is indeed not too loud at all. The problem is a very high-pitched squealing that is at a range and frequency that maybe not all people can hear (maybe?), but it's piercing and absolutely miserable to me and my husband. Interestingly, the piercing doesn't seem to start until the vac has been on for about 10 to 20 seconds or more.

So I guess your mileage may vary. BUT, if you already know that you have sensitive hearing, stay clear of it. Or, try it in a store (but use it for at least 30 seconds or more to see if the noise gets to you).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2011 3:12 PM PST

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
by Francis Chan
548 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Title is NO reflection of the subject of the book, September 29, 2010
I thought this book was going to be about God's love. It is not. I'm honestly not sure why on Earth it was named Crazy Love--the book talks almost nothing about love.

Others have already said it well, but I'll add my 2 cents.

First off, if you struggle at all with believing God's love for you, or His forgiveness, or if you struggle with feeling insignificant, please, PLEASE do not read this book. It will leave you feeling nothing but despair.

In Chan's world, lukewarm people are not saved, and almost everyone is lukewarm. You are doomed. If you live a life of quiet, but wholehearted, dedication to God it doesn't matter. You are only saved if someone else can look at your life and see radical change.

In Chan's view of Christianity--

--If you are a stay at home mom prayerfully and sacrificially giving your all to raise children who will know Jesus while you strive to have a godly marriage, that is not enough. You are lukewarm.

--If you go to work each day and try to honor God in your ho-hum job, and make just enough to feed and care for your family and manage to pay all your bills, but have nothing left over to "radically give", that is not enough. You are lukewarm.

--If you struggle every day to overcome sin, and with God's help you are able to stay out of the gutter, or out of addiction, but you don't experience some huge, radical change, then that is not enough. You are lukewarm.

Remember, Chan says that you are NOT saved if you are lukewarm... (I would like to read some hermeneutical scholarship on Jesus' words that He will spit them out of his mouth-- I don't know if it is a statement of one's eternal salvation or not. ??).

About halfway through the book, Chan tosses a perfunctory nod to grace. I get the idea that in his view of God and salvation, grace plays a very minor role.

Basically, rather than believing that God cares about the direction of the heart--whether or not you have given over yourself to Christ and are trying to lead a life free of sin-- Francis Chan apparently believes that that it's all about what you do THAT OTHERS CAN SEE. It is works-based, "For Show" Christianity, where the transformation of the heart matters little and outward behavior is everything.

Yes, I believe wholeheartedly that our behavior will change as we bear the fruit of the Spirit. I also know (from Scripture) that God cares deeply about how we act and what we do. But Chan has swung the pendulum so far in the direction of actions that he has left no place for the SLOW, SOMETIMES LIFELONG, TRANSFORMATION THAT THE MAJORITY OF US EXPERIENCE.

Francis Chan makes the critical mistake of elevating one part of Scripture (Rev. 3:15) over other parts of Scripture (every verse that talks about grace and mercy). All of Scripture must be taken together and heeded as a cohesive whole.

Finally, since I started my review with what NOT to read, I want to give a couple of recommendation for books that are GOOD to read and that I sincerely believe will help you in being a true follower of Jesus Christ.
#1 --I strongly recommend Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer. This is a book everyone should read.
#2--Pursuit of God (also by Tozer). A great, balanced, scriptural presentation of what it means to follow Jesus Christ.
#3--What's So Amazing About Grace (by Philip Yancey)-- Yancey paints a realistic and beautiful portrait of what grace looks like in the real world.
#4--My Utmost for His Highest (by Oswald Chambers) -- an excellent treatise on how to live as a Christian.
#5--The New Testament of the Bible.

God is crazy in love with you - believe it - but don't expect this book to tell you that. Find the truth in the WHOLE of Scripture instead.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2012 4:42 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2