Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for Shamus > Reviews

Browse

Shamus' Profile

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Shamus RSS Feed (Sag Harbor, NY)

Page: 1 | 2
Gravel Cleaner for Aquarium, 2"x10", Aquarium Vacuum Water Siphon W/Self Starter,by Dora's Corner Store 100%made in USA
Offered by Dora's Corner Store
Price: $15.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best choice, May 9, 2016
To get the siphon to work you need to vigorously shake it back and forth. This displaces the water, agitates the sand and can't be pleasant for the fish. I threw it away and bought another brand that has a simple pump that gets the siphon going. Much better.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2016 8:17 AM PDT

Salomon XT Wings K Hiking Shoe (Toddler/Little Kid/Big Kid),Grey Denim/Canary Yellow/Aluminum,13 M US Little Kid

4.0 out of 5 stars Potentially dangerous for a child., December 31, 2014
I've been wearing Salomon Trail Running Shoes exclusively for at least a decade. I even have a pair for my 7 and 5 year old. They are well made and offer great ankle support. Then why the 2-star review .... The lace system is this shoes weak point. First off, it does not stay engaged and this makes it dangerous, especially for a child. Having a loop of this strong cord hanging off the side of your shoe makes this shoe a potential hazard to get caught on any number of things; in my case branches in the woods or any number of spots on my mountain bike. Sure you can get around this by tucking this slack under the laces but its so long that its a tedious process for me and too difficult for a child. Of less concern, but still an annoyance is the clasp on the lace system will fail well before its time to replace the shoe, leaving you with a shoe that won't tighten. They do sell replacement laces but I've read they are very difficult to install. For this reason this will be my last Salomon and I will only let me kids wear theirs when they are with me and I can safely tuck in the cord.

EDIT: Thanks to Liondog for pointing out that there is a pouch on the tongue of the shoe for storing the clasp and the loose strap. I will keep the review posted so others will be alerted (if they, like me somehow missed it) and change the star rating from 2 to 4 stars.

Salomon Men's XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX Trail Running Shoe,Camo Forest/Komando/Olive,12 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars longtime fan .... not anymore, December 31, 2014

Offered by Surplus DVD Source
Price: $13.25
20 used & new from $9.26

3.0 out of 5 stars Good .... Just wanted it to be Great, February 12, 2014
This review is from: The Summit (DVD)
I had high expectations. Was really looking forward to actual K2 footage and a story that focused on the why .... While there was some of both more time was given to reenactment with actors and interviews (albeit family members) who were not on the mountain I also strongly agree with a prior reviewers comment that this is a story better told in a linear manner. Pemba, the Nepalese climber is a true hero and I'm thankful the filmmakers let us get to know him.

The Innocent (Will Robie Series)
The Innocent (Will Robie Series)
by David Baldacci
Price: $27.99
302 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Implausible....., September 1, 2012
After finishing The Innocent I went back and read many of the helpful reviews and found that "implausible" was a common word used. For me, a really good work of fiction (book or movie) is one where I'm entertained and can enjoy the story without frequently questioning the plausibility of a character or plot twist. In this book there were too many of both. I found the ending to be too much of a stretch of the imagination and too often the dialogue involving the 14 year old girl (like when she comments on Wall Street and algorithms) seemed ..... implausible.

Exo Terra High Glass Terrarium, 36 by 18 by 36-Inch
Exo Terra High Glass Terrarium, 36 by 18 by 36-Inch
Offered by Petco
Price: $359.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is ...., July 31, 2012
I've had this terrarium for about two years. I'm adding this review now to let future buyers know what they are getting.

The Good: It looks great when all set up, especially from a distance.

The OK: As another reviewer pointed out the back wall is Styrofoam. The problem with this is it sheds if your creature is a climber and each time you remove it (twice weekly for me to change the substrate) the fit gets a little looser. I now use wooden wedges to keep it in place.

The Bad: As pointed out the frame is thin plastic, same for the hinges. Twice a door came off. First time I caught it, the second the glass shattered as it hit the floor.
(Exo Terra to my surprise and great relief answered the phone and shipped another out next day air, free of charge.)

If you need a heat source emanating from the top (as I do for our bearded dragon) you can not use the included screen top as it has two plastic supports that would melt. I got around it by resting the 4 bulb halogen fixture on the top rear (preventing the dragon from escaping) and letting the basking light and heat emitter hang down into the terrarium, secured with duct tape holding the cords in place on the back wall. Its works, though heat escapes through the open air top.

In conclusion, considering the lack of options out there, this gets the job done. I'd prefer to pay a little more for better quality but this seems to be the best there is absent of a custom made tank.

This review was written on October 13, 2013.

(I won't tell you about the shippers handling or how many tries it took to get one here in one piece or I'm afraid this review won't make it to your eyes, but will say another reviewers comments about this are spot on. On a positive note, Amazon Customer Service just sends another (and another) no questions asked.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2015 11:09 AM PDT

American Assassin: A Thriller (A Mitch Rapp Novel)
American Assassin: A Thriller (A Mitch Rapp Novel)
by Vince Flynn
485 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Shamus, October 14, 2010
Please ..... Enough about the Kindle price, we get it, you think its too expensive. Most of us come here to read about the merits of the story.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for ......, April 22, 2008
This cover is about as thin as the covering used by dry cleaners. And, for those like me that wanted to store the sofa and lock out moisture, this cover is too small for that purpose. All sides don't even make it to the floor.) Overall a wasted purchase. (No complaints about the seller. Prompt shipping with tracking number email notification.)

Imperial Life in The Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone
Imperial Life in The Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone
by Rajiv Chandrasekaran
Price: $12.77
356 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiction its not ....(Sadly), January 11, 2008
A informative, objective look at why it all went wrong. Both funny and sad (often at the same time), this book could be a business school case study on what happens when complex jobs are handed to people based on ("Is he one of us") political cronyism. The author deserves credit for also introducing us to a few who managed to overcome the bureaucratic bumbling of the CPA and actually make a difference. Most everyone will have a much clearer picture of why, even years later, so little progress has been made.

Boppy Cradle In Comfort Bouncer - Blue (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Boppy Cradle In Comfort Bouncer - Blue (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Picture looks nice, but .... Buyer Beware., January 4, 2008
After reading such positive reviews, I was excited about this purchase. Therefore, I must do my part and warn others that this thing couldn't be made with less regard for quality or efficiency.

The main issues:
1) Just moving it around the house causes the frame to come apart.

2) Similarly, the curved bar that sits above the baby and holds the objects also falls off when just touching it. Granted, the bouncer is not meant to be picked up by the bar with the baby in it, but when moving it around - with the baby in your other arm - it would be nice if it stayed connected.

3) The pad that the baby sits on moves all around. We have to constantly realign it to get him comfortable. And, the safety strap is also poorly made. Its difficult to adjust as it backs up into the padding. It also runs high, securing part of his chest, which isn't necessary and interferes with his arm movement.

Bottom Line: Although these things are all around the same price, if you got to examine this one in a store, you'd surely choose another.

UPDATE: In response to Virginia33's comment:

Forgive Virgina33 for not being the brightest bulb on the tree. Where did I say it was meant for "carrying baby?" What I said was ..... Please pay attention now Virginia ...... "when moving it around - with the baby in your other arm - it would be nice if it stayed connected." Other bouncers do. This one, perhaps because they market to the Virginia's of the world, snaps off at the slightest hint of pressure.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2010 9:20 AM PST