Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for Jason Stein > Reviews

Browse

Jason Stein's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1032

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason Stein RSS Feed (San Diego, CA United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Stranger To Stranger [Deluxe Edition]
Stranger To Stranger [Deluxe Edition]
Offered by WhiteRosee
Price: $14.50
74 used & new from $10.67

4.0 out of 5 stars The fact is, most obits are mixed reviews. Life is a lottery a lot of people lose., June 10, 2016
Some of my earliest popular music memories consist of Paul Simon (and Simon & Garfunkel) songs. My father bought their music in the 1960's and 1970's, so I remember hearing "The Boxer", "Mother and Child Reunion", "Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard", "Kodachrome", "Slip Sliding Away", "Late In The Evening" and most importantly, as a child of divorce, "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover".

All this primed me for 1986's "Graceland". I say "Graceland" because 1983's "Hearts and Bones" didn't even register. So, it was, in the autumn of 1986, that I saw the video for "You Can Call Me Al" and then "The Boy in the Bubble". I bought the cassette tape of "Graceland" in March 1987, and since that time I have bought all of Simon's solo albums and a Simon & Garfunkel "Best Of". I have consistently purchase each new Simon album since 1987, though I have not once seen him in concert.

Anyway, "Stranger To Stranger" does what I complain most artists do not do--be original, keep experimenting. I give it to Simon, now age 74, for continuing to experiment musically, unlike, say, fellow contemporary, Bob Dylan. "Stranger To Stranger" is also lyrically thought provoking, a first for Simon since, well, "The Rhythm Of The Saints" (1990). For me, anyway.

"The Werewolf", "Wristband", "Street Angel", "In A Parade", "The Riverbank" and "Cool Papa Bell" are all standouts.

The three ballads, "Stranger To Stranger", "Proof Of Love" and "Insomniac's Lullaby" are okay. I've always taken an issue with Simon's ballads as I find them rather bland, usually.

There are two instrumentals, which to me, are disposable: "The Clock" and "In The Garden Of Edie".

Then there are all those bonus tracks, five to be exact. Disposable, all of them.

So, as you can see, for me, this is four stars, not five. Five would be "Paul Simon" (1972), "There's Goes Rhymin' Simon" (1973), "Still Crazy After All These Years" (1975), "Graceland" (1986) and "The Rhythm Of The Saints" (1990). I can listen to any of those and not skip a single track. I could sing the entire "Graceland" album in my sleep, I know it so well.

Keep rocking (or is it now lilting?) Paul. The music business still needs artist like you. There's so few of you around--Bob Dylan, Randy Newman, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Tom Waits, Don Henley, Fleetwood Mac, and....Leonard Cohen.....and.....?

See you in another five years.

This is how "Stranger To Stranger" compares to Simon's other solo works:

Ulysses Purse
Price: $24.99
16 used & new from $18.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Stark against the indifference., May 28, 2016
This review is from: Ulysses Purse (Audio CD)
On a whim, just based on the cd cover and title, in 1993 I bought "When I Was A Boy". I did not know who Jane Siberry was. I had never heard of her before. I did not even know what kind of music she made, but there was something about that cd cover and title that intrigued me. I do not recall how many times I listened to that album over and over in December 1993, but it grew and grew on me, and I became a fan. I easily located her 1989 cd "Bound By The Beauty" and liked that equally as much. It was more challenging to track down her 1981 self-titled debut through her 1987 cd "The Walking", but I successfully found and bought them all. 1995's "Maria" was different. I did not like it as much, and Siberry went indie after that with her first indie offering, 1996's "Teenager", which, again, I did not like as much. Then came all the weird stuff, and, frankly, I stopped buying and listening, with "Teenager" being the last Siberry music I bought until now.

I did notice that some of these songs on "Ulysses' Purse" appeared in different form on Siberry's 2009 album "With What Shall I Keep Warm?" I just got that along with 2008's "Dragon Dreams" and 2011's "Meshach Dreams Back", so I still have to listen to those three albums. But, I have to say that after 20 years, I am glad to have new Siberry music back in my player. This is the return to form. It's not "When I Was A Boy", but's it's pretty good.

I really liked "Hide Not Your Light", "Geranium", "Anytime", "Morag", "Mama Hereby", "In My Dream", "The Great Train" and "Let Me Be A Living Statue" (with k.d. lang). Those songs really remind you of how effective and affective Siberry's words, music, and particularly her vocals, can be. I am hoping she is back on track now, and will release more new music under her Siberry name. No experimental New York City stuff, no hymns, carols, or Christmas stuff, no folk & gospel interpretations, just pure Siberry, please. No live stuff either.

So if, like me, you lost touch, it's now time to re-connect. "Ulysses' Purse" is well worth it.

Here's how "Ulysses' Purse" compares with Siberry's other works:

1989 Bound By The Beauty: Four Stars
1993 When I Was A Boy: Four Stars
1995 Maria: Three Stars
1996 Teenager: Two and a Half Stars
1997 A Day In The Life: One Star (Haven't Heard)
2000 Hush: (Haven't Heard)
2003 Shushan The Palace: Hymns Of Earth: (Haven't Heard)
2008 Dragon Dreams: (Haven't Heard)
2009 With What Shall I Keep Warm?: (Haven't Heard)
2011 Meshach Dreams Back: (Haven't Heard)
2016 Ulysses' Purse: Four Stars

Price: $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Might mean something to you, it ain't nothing to me., May 28, 2016
This review is from: 2 (MP3 Music)
Tom Petty & Co. are back after eight years with their second outing, "2". I liked it better than the first, and it's refreshing to have all members contribute vocally and lyrically. It makes for a reasonably diverse listening experience.

"Trailer", "Dreams Of Flying", "Beautiful World", "I Forgive It All", "The Other Side Of The Mountain", "Welcome To Hell" and "Victim Of Circumstance" are all standouts.

Somebody needs to reel Tom in on the six minute numbers "Beautiful Blue" and "Hungry No More". They were overlong, and let's face it, not that great. The other Petty tracks that felt like filler were "Hope" and "Save Your Water".

Essentially, I liked this Mudcrutch album better than the last Heartbreakers album, so what does that tell you? Perhaps Petty should keep on with Mudcrutch instead?

Here's how "2" compares with Petty's other works:

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2016 5:01 PM PDT

Everything At Once
Everything At Once
Price: $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars I looked at the past inside my rear view mirror., May 20, 2016
This review is from: Everything At Once (MP3 Music)
I didn't want to wait until May 27th to buy Travis' new album "Everything At Once" so I already got mine from the U.K. This album continues the winning musical arrangements from the previous album 2013's "Where You Stand". In fact, I think I like this album slightly better than that one.

There are some memorable songs here like "Magnificent Time", "What Will Come", "Paralysed", "Animals", and particularly the duet with someone named Josephine Oniyama on "Idlewild" and finally, "Strangers On A Train". The rest of the tracks are good, too. Travis seems to be back on track with their second album in a row that has delivered the goods. Lyrically, this is one of the more urgent Travis albums in recent memory, delving into relationships, media, and self-analysis.

If you liked Travis' "The Man Who" or "The Invisible Band", you ought to check out "Everything At Once".

Here's how it compares to the band's previous works:

1997 Good Feeling: Three and a Half Stars

Offered by MusicWorld8
Price: $11.40
87 used & new from $7.41

4.0 out of 5 stars When you were mine., May 13, 2016
This review is from: Detour (Audio CD)
You know, I've been a fan of Cyndi Lauper's music since I first saw "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" on MTV back in 1983. I have consistently bought all of her albums, even 2001's hard-to-find, Japanes only release, "Shine". In fact, I believe it was with that album the Cyndi sort of lost her way. That album was supposed to be released in America, but it never happened, and instead we got and EP titled "Shine". After that, Cyndi decided to switch it up a bit by doing a standards album in 2003, a reinterpretation of her own music in 2005, a new electronic album in 2008, and a blues album in 2010. "Detour" is her first album in six years, and this time she goes country.

I think of all of her cover albums I like "Detour" the best. Classic country music from the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's, suits her personality and vocal style very well. Not all of the covers hit home, but many of them are well done. Of course, it helps that I am not familiar with most of the originals!

The best tracks here are "Funnel Of Love", "Detour", "Heartaches By The Number", "You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly", "I Want To Be A Cowboy's Sweetheart" and "Hard Candy Christmas".

Of course, I believe that Cyndi should have just stuck to her guns and kept making music her way, and 2008's "Bring Ya To The Brink" was a gift. I just wish she'd do more of that, rather than pump out cover albums. In fact, what I'd really like to see, if it's at all possible, is for Cyndi to use the same musicians and producers used for "She's So Unusual" for a sequel--maybe, "She's So Normal"? I just miss how good she was at songs like "Time After Time", "All Through The Night", "True Colors", "Change Of Heart", "I Drove All Night", "Sally's Pigeon's", "Come On Home", "Shine", etc. In fact, when was the last time Cyndi did a really good ballad? Years.

Anyway, here's how "Detour" compares to Cyndi's other works:

Offered by PARTY TRAIN
Price: $11.80
91 used & new from $7.26

3.0 out of 5 stars When you were mine., May 13, 2016
This review is from: HITNRUN Phase Two (Audio CD)
I know I've been hard on Prince's music for years now, but for me, it still stands, even in his unfortunate death, that, beginning with 1996's "Chaos and Disorder", all the way through "HITNRUN Phase Two", the music died long before Prince did.

What I mean by died, is all the torment and wrangling with Warner Bros., home to Prince's music 1978-1996, killed his creative spirit. Now I know there are many out there who will disagree, and that's fine, you can love his post-1996 music all you want, but the fact is, it's just not as memorable as his pre-1996 music. Bottom line.

Each of his post-1996 albums, beginning with the bloated "Emancipation" and then "Crystal Ball" albums, followed by "Newpower Soul" and "Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic" etc., etc., each album had only a few diamonds the rough. I think "3121" might have been his best post-1996 work. That album was tight, melodic, and had quite a few memorable tracks.

So, I am saddened that this will be my last Prince review, that a great artist was taken so soon, and possibly by prescription opiates (we shall see). So here is his (supposed) final work: "HITNRUN Phase Two". It's, unfortunately, just okay. I mean it's not bad, but it's not very memorable either. Prince didn't go out on top, or with a bang, he just kind of coasted out the door. Sure, the musicianship is solid, but that's a given. That's not even the point. The point is, in Prince's enormous catalog of music, will "HITNRUN Phase Two" even be remembered? Nope.

There are a few good songs on her like "Baltimore" and "Big City", but often this is just Prince fooling around with genres, aping old school rhythm and blues, and not bringing the fire and spirit he once had for music to the table. I just go back to 1995's "Gold", which wasn't his best work, but man, listen to "P Control" and "Gold". Those two songs were great, memorable and melodic songs. I'd easily add them to any hits or best of. "HITNRUN Phase Two" doesn't even come close to just those two songs alone.

I have all of Prince's albums 1978's "For You" all the way through "HITNRUN Phase Two". I think I became a fan of his music in 1982/1983 when I began seeing the videos for "1999" and "Little Red Corvette" on MTV (I was 10). So, this is coming from a long time fan, who has begrudgingly bought everything Prince released post 1996 in the hopes that someday the man might return to his former glories, but sadly, that will never be.

I never saw Prince in concert, but I should have. I guess the only thing left to say is: Who will be in charge of his music and legacy? I don't want to see a commercial for Swiffer using "Kiss". But, I would like all of his Warner Bros. albums 1978 through 1996 digitally remastered with either b-sides, unreleased tracks, outtakes, etc. Do it up nice. Give it to Rhino Records. Make each album at least two discs, maybe three. Also, I wouldn't mind if you could find all of Prince's videos on YouTube. That would be nice.

This year has been terrible losing David Bowie and Prince within four months of each other. Also losing Glenn Frey (Eagles), Colin Vearncombe (Black), and Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship). I hope the rest of 2016 is free and clear of any other big names dropping off.

Here's how "HITNRUN Phase Two" compares with Prince's other works:

Lemonade [Explicit]
Lemonade [Explicit]
Price: $17.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love god herself., May 6, 2016
This review is from: Lemonade [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
The bottom line with Beyonce is, she keeps making improvements from album to album. "Lemonade" is her most thoughtful, intelligent and deep work thus far. She still has work to do, but she has plenty of time to do it.

Hot Tracks (should be hits): "Hold Up", "Don't Hurt Yourself", "Sorry", "Daddy Lessons", "Sandcastles", "Freedom", "All Night" and "Formation".

I believe in brevity. Get in, and get out. Don't bore us, get to the chorus. Back in the day, eight tracks would have made a complete album, but now artists feel compelled to give us more, and it dilutes the overall impact unless every single song is a gem. "Pray You Catch Me", "6 Inch", "Love Drought" and "Forward" should have been reconsidered. Those four tracks distract from the overall impact of the other eight. Some of them are works of 'art', and I get that, but they're just not artistic enough.

Here's how "Lemonade" compares to previous Beyonce solo work:

Offered by RayMorgan
Price: $13.90
93 used & new from $8.84

3.0 out of 5 stars What are you willing to do., May 6, 2016
This review is from: Anti [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
I guess I became a 'fan' of Rihanna's music in 2007 when "Umbrella" stormed the charts. Her albums are typically uneven and often sophomoric at best--I guess it's all that education she went through (not).

As is typical, this version of "Anti" is 16 tracks, and it's one too many. In fact, if I were allowed to edit this album (hey, wait, I can!) I would play it something like this: 1.) "Kiss It Better" 2.) "Work" 3.) "Desperado" 4.) "Needed Me" 5.) "Same Ol' Mistakes" 6.) "Never Ending" 7.) "Love On The Brain" 8.) "Close To You" 9.) "Pose" 10.) "Sex With Me"

Don't you think that makes a better, tighter, listening experience? I do. It cuts out the filler and obnoxious songs like "Woo" and "Goodnight Gotham". In fact, if it were just those ten tracks, "Anti" might just be a five star album. Next time, Rihanna, next time.

That being said, those ten tracks are quite good, and I see she already released three of them: "Work", "Kiss It Better" and "Needed Me". However, I don't see/hear her making a big splash this time around. It's like this album dropped in February 2016 and it's virtually gone now three months later. No staying power. Also, I think "Bitch Better Have My Money" should have been on here. It would have fit perfectly.

Here's how "Anti" compares to Rihanna's previous works:

Home
Home
Price: $10.99
42 used & new from $6.73

4.0 out of 5 stars The people don't care--that come to see you--about whatever problem you had 'fore you walked on stage., April 29, 2016
This review is from: Home (Audio CD)
The little band that could from Houston, Texas, can't seem to get any critical respect from the critics. All I read is 'sounds like Peter Gabriel' or 'overwrought' or 'overly dramatic' or 'cliche ridden lyrics'. Come now. Blue October are at least a good band, if not a great band. Sure, I can hear their musical influences played out in their music, but it's extremely rare to create your own original sound, separate from everyone else, and sometimes it takes a long time to individuate.

I have been a fan of Blue October's music since 2006's "Foiled". I have all their albums, but I have never seen them live. They have definitely grown since 1998's "The Answers", 2000's "Consent to Treatment" and 2003's "History for Sale". Additionally, Justin Furstenfeld's lyrics address thoughts and feelings few artists are interested in addressing.

To me, Blue October should just keep going. Sure, it's been almost 20 years of making music, and they still aren't a household name, but who cares. There's a dedicated fan base. Cheap Trick didn't quit after the money dried up. They're in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame now, and they were always a great band even if critics were fickle (and fans, too, for that matter!)

This time around, Blue October are in a more positive head space, which is fine. Musically and lyrically this is not a detriment. In fact, I'd say the first six tracks run like a nice set of alternative pop winners: "Coal Makes Diamonds", "Drive", "Heart Go Bang", "I Want It", "Home" and "We Know Where You Go" are all solid tracks that should climb to the top of the alternative rock and modern rock charts. "Break Ground" and "Time Changes Everything" are also equally as good.

There are two unusual songs here, from a musical standpoint, and Blue October always stretch out musically in some way with each album they release, so the odd ones here are "Leave It In The Dressing Room" and "Houston Heights". I actually liked them both, as experimental as each of those are for this album. You also have a four minute instrumental at the end called "The Still". I guess my least favorite track is "The Lucky One" as I found it to be the least memorable track on the album. The two bonus mixes are decent, but they don't really add anything new to the original songs.

So, another solid, four star, album from Blue October. Will they be as big as ZZ Top one day? Maybe. Maybe ZZ Top got lucky with the advent of New Wave in the 1980's, because before that, they weren't exactly a household name. Then they skyrocketed and died, but kept going, and I like them, too.

Here's how "Home" compares to Blue October's previous works:

Good Thing
Good Thing
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm gonna tear your playhouse down., April 29, 2016
This review is from: Good Thing (MP3 Music)
I have been a fan of Paul Young's music since 1984, when I first saw the video for "Come Back and Stay" on MTV. I don't remember when I bought the cassette tape for "The Secret of Association", but by 1986 I had that, and "Between Two Fires". His stature on American radio was slim, and on MTV and VH1, even slimmer, still. In the 1990's I lost touch with his music after 1991's compilation "From Time to Time". Only to find that he had released more music in 1993, 1994 and 1997, all of which I obtained as imports. In 2006, I got my copy of his swing hits, and now "Good Thing" is the first solo album Young as released since 2006. He has a side band with two albums, Los Pacaminos, which, their music is just okay.

So, the liner notes of "Good Thing" indicate Paul Young wanted, at age 60 now, to go back and do some more classic soul covers--the thing that made him a hit in the first place. But, times have changed, Mr. Young, and you are not the spritely 27 year old you once were. Back then, and I mean 1983's "No Parlez" and 1985's "The Secret of Association", you picked obscure songs from famous soul and r&b artists, and with the help of producer Laurie Latham, turned water into wine. You gave new life to those selected entries from Marvin Gaye, Tom Waits, and others. The technology of the time aided in your re-imaginings. Now, in 2016, things are different. You have chosen to cover 10 obscure soul and r&b tracks, but you forgot about how to tweak them to make them yours, and most importantly, interesting.

Instead, what we get is re-hashed straightforward r&b. Mr. Young's voice is not in fine form here. In fact, it's not up to par with 2006's swing hits performance. I don't know what happened, age? I don't know.

Let me just say that I was expecting something fresh, but what I got was stale. Now, stale bread isn't a complete loss, it's still edible, but it's not nearly as good as just out of the oven hot bread. I think it's time to re-think your retirement strategy because "Good Thing" isn't going to support you for very long. What I'd like to see, is a return to form. Mr. Young, you were a New Waver soul artist at heart, and that formula is what worked so well. I don't know if Laurie Latham is still alive and well, but that's who you need. Pick a trio of lesser known contemporary r&b tracks from Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar, or someone along those lines, Seal, maybe. Throw in a few originals of your own, and voila--the hit making machine is back! That's not to say that I didn't enjoy "Between Two Fires" or "Other Voices"--those were decent to good, but "The Crossing", "Reflections" and "Paul Young", not so much. The swing album was a bold move--unexpected, and, for the most part, it worked.

"Good Thing" is just average. Not bad, not great, just reasonably good. I can't recommend any one particular track because they are all handled in a fairly similar manner in terms of arrangements. However, I will say that the cover of the Bee Gees' "Words" was a complete failure. No thanks!

Let's not wait another 10 years to release another solo album please. Let's get on this. Call up Latham, get in the studio, get Pino Palladino as well, and get crackin'! If not Latham, hen grab Steven Lipson or Rupert Hine, or even Briano Eno or Daniel Lanois--or Rick Rubin, and come up with 10 or 11 tracks, half originals and half covers. Bring in the synths, or strip everything down and go acoustic. Or mix the two up on the same album.

Here's how "Good Thing" compares with Young's other solo works: