Profile for Paula Alvarado > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paula Alvarado RSS Feed (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Gods Like Us: On Movie Stardom and Modern Fame
Gods Like Us: On Movie Stardom and Modern Fame
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Persona in the internet age, November 24, 2012
The first and major idea worth taking from this book is the concept of celebrities as personas. I thought this was very interesting, and it has completely changed the way I see not only famous people but even pairs who have received some kind of recognition.

When developing this concept through history the book drags a bit, it could have been shorter. But the chapter on internet and the way it has allowed everyone to experience something similar to being a celebrity is so interesting it paid for the whole book. Someone said in another review that the question of why we care about celebrities is not explained, but I thought it was well explained in that chapter. "What draws us to other people's fame is the hope of discovering a self that never dies." (I don't think I'm spoiling anything by quoting that since you have to read what comes before and after to fully understand it.)

A great read for people curious about the sociological aspect of fame and the way the concept is changing, even disappearing to leave place for something else.