ARRAY(0x9d14da80)

Customer Reviews: 61

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kat Bakhu RSS Feed (Albuquerque, NM United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Cleaning The Ashtray (4 CD Box)
Cleaning The Ashtray (4 CD Box)
Price: $50.46
22 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure, December 25, 2012
Lloyd Cole is one of those very rare musicians that can do no wrong for me. I still remember the exact spot I was standing when I heard "Perfect Skin" from his Rattlesnakes album for the first time. I was so struck by it and captured by the unique sound that Lloyd Cole does better than anyone else. I just love the guy.

But even with that level of adulation, I was skeptical about how good this 4 CD collection of songs stored on old DAT tapes stuffed in old shoeboxes, etc., could actually be. Surely even Lloyd Cole has some duds here and there.

Well, if he does have some duds, they are not anywhere to be found on this collection. This is good stuff. If you like Lloyd Cole, it's worth every penny of the $50+ purchase price. And if you just like really good music performed by one of the best singer/songwriters of the past few decades, well, what are you waiting for? There's gold here.

I will always remember Christmas 2012 as special, because that was when I got this rare rare treat of 4 CDs of Lloyd Cole.

If by chance the artist occasionally drops by to read reviews of what others are saying, I'd like to add a heartfelt thank you for this. And, also, a great big thanks for reforming a group and issuing your 2010 release, Broken Record. Man, that was a great CD! Your talent and ability is as strong as ever.

Ghost in Daylight
Ghost in Daylight
Price: $14.74
44 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Restrained Beauty, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Ghost in Daylight (Audio CD)
This CD is a masterpiece of cool, sophisticated beauty. In tone it reminds me of a beautiful woman in a low cut black gown with lush blond hair spilling down her shoulders sitting in an opulent upscale bar, her long fingers wrapped casually around the long glass stem of a half empty martini glass. The overall impact is drop dead gorgeous.

The music is sophisticated without being overly complicated. Sublime while being understated. Intricate while being seamlessly woven. Restrained while titillating your emotions, like a woman glancing at you from across a crowded room. It's just a beautiful experience to listen to.

This CD is easily one of my favorite albums of 2012.

Financial Times - US Edition
Financial Times - US Edition
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The FT on Kindle made my day, August 20, 2008
I just subscribed to the NY Times on the Kindle last week (like that, too).

But I was inwardly pining, hoping, praying that the FT would become available. So when I found it yesterday, HURRAY! I subscribed at once, have already read two issues and love it.

The Financial Times is such a great paper in that you get the news you need without a whole lot of stuff you don't need. They have a slew of great columnists and features. I used to use their home delivery, which wasn't very reliable where I live.

But to be able to get it on the Kindle now -- thank you so much to FT and to Amazon for making this wonderful publication available on the Kindle. I'm loving it!

Recovering Your Story: Proust, Joyce, Woolf, Faulkner, Morrison
Recovering Your Story: Proust, Joyce, Woolf, Faulkner, Morrison
by Arnold L. Weinstein
65 used & new from $1.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, August 16, 2008
I'm only around a quarter of the way through this book. But it has been so good that even if all the rest of the pages were blank, I'd still give it a strong five stars. This is one work of literary criticism that is worth every literature reader's time.

I've been reading Proust off and on for over thirty years, and Proust is easily my favorite author. But when I read Weinstein's book, my eyes really opened. Even with my already deep appreciation of Proust, I had no idea of how much I was missing, or how superficially I was reading.

I can't say enough about this book. It has taught me so much already about literature, how to read (more deeply and carefully), about what Modernism is (something I've never understood until reading this book, and I have taken whole college courses on just that topic), about the arts in general, and, finally, about life. What a great book, a classic; for few books manage to bring such deep and meaty relevance, along with pure enjoyment into their pages.

Reading this book makes me dearly wish that Weinstein lived in my neighborhood. I would love to have him over as a dinner guest. I'd make sure the meals were extra tasty and that his wine glass was always filled with good wine. I'd love to converse with him (that would be a pure joy) and I would be happy to promise him that I would do most of the listening!

If you care about the arts, modernism, the great authors he discusses, as well as the nature of a human life (your life included), then do yourself a favor and buy this book. It will be one you always treasure. It's easily the best book I've read this year, and possibly one of the best books I have ever read.

The Elephanta Suite: Three Novellas
The Elephanta Suite: Three Novellas
by Paul Theroux
133 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 19, 2008
I enjoy reading fiction that depicts modern day India. This group of three novellas is right up there with the cream of the crop. There's nothing romanticized about the India depicted here. As you read, you really get the feeling, "This is probably the way India really is." There were many times when I wondered to myself, "How does someone become such a sharp observer as Theroux is?"

I was amazed both at Theroux's command of the language, and how extremely sharp he is at bringing out the telling detail that really gives you the feel of the place and the person described. There are a lot of unsavory characters here. And yet Theroux describes them so well that I always felt their humanity and got a clear sense of why they were doing what they were doing. That put me in touch with their humanity and created a sense of sympathy, in most cases. Though there were one or two slime bags that I could never like, though, thanks to Theroux's genius, I could understand them.

I was amazed by this book. If you are interested in modern day India as well as enjoy just plain masterful writing, then you will treasure this book.

Critical: What We Can Do About the Health-Care Crisis
Critical: What We Can Do About the Health-Care Crisis
by Thomas Daschle
Price: $15.72
299 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, February 19, 2008
A big part of me resisted the idea of buying a book on health care written by a former Senator. It just seemed way too wonkish for me. But I am into politics and a minute does not go by without a candidate screaming about "Health Care" and "Universal Health Care" so I figured I should get up to speed on what the debate is all about.

I'm really glad I did. In truth, Critical is a well written book and is quite interesting. Daschle cogently explains why our current health care system is broken and why there is, in fact, a desperate need to fix it. I'd heard that said many times before but did not understand why. Now I do, thanks to this book.

I am a strong believer in the free market as the best means for providing most of the goods that people want at the best price. But I now have to admit that the free market is not working when it comes to health care. It really isn't. And I am not saying this as a Democrat. I am a registered Republican.

For those who might think that this book is nothing but a left-wing, socialist rant, they would be wrong. In fact, many of Daschle's recommendations for "fixing" the system are to make our system work the way it would in a true free market environment. That is, to provide the highest quality care at the least cost to the consumer. It was really eye-opening to learn how very far away from this ideal our current system is.

Daschle's book covers most of the bases. It describes our current system and why it is so flawed (the number one cause for bankruptcy in our country cannot be called a good system of health care!) He then describes the history of trying to create a better health care system in our country, starting with Truman, up to Clinton, and on up to the current day. He outlines the players who consistently get in the way of needed reform. And, finally, he puts forward his own idea of how we might create a viable health care system that affordably takes care of people when they fall into disease.

I got a great deal out of this book. For one, I've learned that right wing talk radio is REALLY clouding the issue when they talk about health care, and is doing the country a great disservice. Daschle persuaded me on a lot of important points and made me aware of the nature of the problem. I thank him for the time he put into writing such an informative, readable book on such an important issue. If you want to educate yourself on the state of our health care system, this is the place to start.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2009 12:43 PM PDT

Building an Internet Server with FreeBSD 6
Building an Internet Server with FreeBSD 6
by Bryan J. Hong
17 used & new from $15.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, November 6, 2006
I have every book on FreeBSD on the market. But somehow I was never able to get a fully functional FreeBSD server running rock solid.

This book got me there! It tells me precisely what parts (ports or packages) I need to create a particular type of server (mail, internet, etc.), where to find them, how to install and configure, all in short, concise instructions. And it all worked! It's really a great little book. I hope the author comes by and checks out reviews of his book so I can tell him here how much I appreciate his taking the time to publish his "notes."

Because They Hate: A Survivor of Islamic Terror Warns America
Because They Hate: A Survivor of Islamic Terror Warns America
by Brigitte Gabriel
226 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye popping opening, September 8, 2006
This is a really great book. As I read it, I became aware that what is wrong with so many Americans (including me) is we are so uninformed, so uneducated about other parts of the world. I had little understanding, for example, of what the Lebanon "civil war" was all about. This book brought me up to speed on that and taught me so much much more. Reading the events of some 30 years ago seems very much like a deja vu for today. It's all so familiar. What happened then is happening now in exact parallel. I did not know, for example, how Lebanon of the 70s was so similar culturally (and governmentally) to the US of today. And how we are making the same mistakes that led to Lebanon's descent from a pinnacle of culture to hellish chaos.

Gabriel's story is so illuminating, so educational, so human, so revealing, so insightful passionate caring. It provided me with a still deeper picture of the true face of radical Islam than almost anything else I've read on the subject. It should be mentioned that the book is well written indeed, gripping and movingly paced. My thanks to Gabriel for writing this book, and my hope that her efforts not be wasted. She really deserves to be listened to.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 8:31 PM PDT

Slipstream: A Novel
Slipstream: A Novel
by Leslie Larson
80 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I really liked it, June 13, 2006
This review is from: Slipstream: A Novel (Hardcover)
I think of literary fiction as being more "character driven" and genre fiction (suspense, mystery, etc.) as being situation driven. What intrigued me about Slipstream is that it is primarily character driven but has all the page turner characteristics of the best genre fiction.

There are 5 primary characters in Slipstream, and they were all very different from each other. Yet the author seemed intimately familiar with them all. Of the male characters I kept thinking, only a man could have written that. And of the female characters, I felt that only a woman could have had the minute insights into the female personalities being described. The characters seem to be drawn in 3D relief, some are pathetic, others are weird, others likable, etc.

Somehow a tension is introduced into all of this, making you wonder what's up with these people, where they're going, what's going to get in the way. I really admired the author's ability to get into the hearts and souls of these people that habitate the "just a step or two away from the skids" regions of society we are all familiar with, while keeping me entranced with wondering, what's going to happen next?

Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America
Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America
by Tom Lutz
120 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, an entertaining read, May 26, 2006
I got this book largely because I was curious as to how anyone could write a history of people who did nothing. Afterall, people who do nothing wouldn't do enough to leave a history behind (that follows, doesn't it?)

Well, Lutz surprised me. People who do nothing, or at the least strive to not work, are quite an interesting crew. I ran into a lot of famous people I had never thought of as loafers before: such as Ben Franklin and Samuel Johnson. Of course the usual suspects were also there: like Kerouac and Ginsberg (and the beats in general.)

The author seems to suggest that he is something of a slacker himself. But I found that hard to believe as clearly a great deal of work went into this book. The amount of digested reading, research, review of culutral materials such as films, etc., was impressive. The writing was also quite good. Either Lutz is a very good writer or he has an excellent editor. I say that because he wove a large amount of disparate material into a fascinating narrative about people and segments of society committed to doing nothing. The pace was never boring; while the amount of information presented was always informative and stimulating. And as I read, sprawled out on the couch, I found myself reflecting more deeply on just where I fit into the argument of, to work or not to work.... I guess I'd have to say that Doing Nothing proved to be an edifying read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7